6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

paddle shifter for the Max

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:27 AM

paddle shifter for the Max

does anyone know of a company that makes a paddle shifter that we can use for our max..... I know I personally want a paddle shifting setup.... I found one site http://www.twistmachine.com/ ... the idea is basic.... I will do some playing around to see what does what with the 5speed shifter..... meaning see what signal sends up and what sends down..... see how it works and play with some ideas.....
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 AM
VIP

That would be hot!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 AM
GrandPa

I am interested.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:31 AM
VIP

Originally Posted by ramberg
I am interested.
I thought no more mods Grandpa! hahahaha LIES!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:34 AM
GrandPa

I said interested, that does not mean that I am buying. lol
Old 05-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that would def be hot, if only our tip tronics shifted fast without any delay it would be perfert.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmmm... I don't know about this... It would be cool, but I think you'd have to swap the steering wheel to a compatible one, and lose the airbag...

Q. Does the Shrifter™ work with OE steering wheels?

A. No. The Shrifter™'s hub depth and bolt pattern matches popular aftermarket 5 bolt, 6bolt, and 9 bolt steering wheels. For best ergonomics, use in conjunction with a 14" (350mm) diameter steering wheel. OE steering wheels typically have built-in hubs and have significant offset (distance from hub to rim) and therefore will not work. The Shrifter™ is not compatible with air bag equipped vehicles.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by logik05se
that would def be hot, if only our tip tronics shifted fast without any delay it would be perfert.
Get your ECU flashed, if you want quicker shift and then some!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM

ok so here is the deal..... within this month I will be making a custom setup..... I found the wires that the signals are sent from the shifter +/- for the 5speed..... I am going to tap into the wires from there..... I will have to customize my steering wheel with paddles that are spring loaded with contact points on the back of the stearing wheel like the contact points on the stardard shifter..... I will draw up some designs to see what you guys think later this week..... keep me posted if anyone finds compatible paddle shifters for our car...... I deffinitly don't want to lose my stock steering wheel or airbag.... the setup for the shrifter is for aftermarket steering wheels only and only allows for up shifting.... I want both..... of course I will need to put different bumps or groves on the paddles or maybe something else to be able to tell the difference between up and down ohh plus and minus signs would work..... lol
Old 05-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Get your ECU flashed, if you want quicker shift and then some!
if i leave it in d the tranny seems to shift pretty quick, and if i leave it in tiptronic and let it shift it shifts equally as fast, but when you actually shift it manually yourself, second is sometimes able to be done nicely, but third always has this slight "lag" to it. ECU will correct this?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by logik05se
if i leave it in d the tranny seems to shift pretty quick, and if i leave it in tiptronic and let it shift it shifts equally as fast, but when you actually shift it manually yourself, second is sometimes able to be done nicely, but third always has this slight "lag" to it. ECU will correct this?
Pretty much, even though there's an ECU that controls the transmission. As soon as I shift up or down, the trans shifts. Not lightning quick like SMG, for example, but no lag like it was. It's also quicker in D too.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:45 PM

Pretty much, even though there's an ECU that controls the transmission. As soon as I shift up or down, the trans shifts. Not lightning quick like SMG, for example, but no lag like it was. It's also quicker in D too.
how or where do you get the ECU flashed ?? what other benefits does this offer ??

sorry for the ''newbie'' question..

Luigi
Old 05-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
how or where do you get the ECU flashed ?? what other benefits does this offer ??

sorry for the ''newbie'' question..

Luigi
OT: throttle correction, speed limiter removed, raised rev limiter, more agressive air to fuel mapping, more power, and appearently quicker shift. look here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=458579
Old 05-16-2006, 12:05 AM

OT: throttle correction, speed limiter removed, raised rev limiter, more agressive air to fuel mapping, more power, and appearently quicker shift. look here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=458579
you have a speed limiter on your max...... when does it stop...... I've had mine up to 130 in 4th where is the limit...... I thought those things kicked in at 125...... will JET flash our cards?????
Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by po8pimp
you have a speed limiter on your max...... when does it stop...... I've had mine up to 130 in 4th where is the limit...... I thought those things kicked in at 125...... will JET flash our cards?????
I had it up to 141 and it wouldn't go more. Jet sucks check here.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=458579
Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Newbie just Registered

Yup! Jet puts on a sticker for you at $350. About 140 is the limit. like Ramberg said.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:30 AM

this link talks about the TS upgraded ECU..... I was referring to JET..... I mean they used to suck when they first started but now they are a very reputable company...... I know at least 9 guys who had they ecu flashed by jet..... most of them have subies though...... is the TS upgraded ECU even ready for us.....
Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 AM

Can you elaborate on the throttle correction?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Can you elaborate on the throttle correction?
Stock ECU doesn't open the throttle 100% at WOT. I really don't know if it ever opens 100% at any point. But flashed ECU will give you the throttle control so when you go WOT, you get WOT. It does make a difference, one of the ECU versions I had had stock mapping w/ only throttle correction.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Stock ECU doesn't open the throttle 100% at WOT. I really don't know if it ever opens 100% at any point. But flashed ECU will give you the throttle control so when you go WOT, you get WOT. It does make a difference, one of the ECU versions I had had stock mapping w/ only throttle correction.
Oh wow, neat. Did it also fix the annoying issue of 'harsh' acceleration when slightly depressing the gas peddle? I mean, if you barely push it, nothing happens... until you go just a but farther and then it seems like of like the car lurches a bit (not as smooth as other cars I've driven). Some say that this is intentional to make it feel as though the car is faster than it is... I'm guessing that this has nothing to do with the ECU though (probably some sort of linkage to the ECU...).

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 PM

I have had mine up to 145 and still accelerating. I figure mine is good for 160.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Oh wow, neat. Did it also fix the annoying issue of 'harsh' acceleration when slightly depressing the gas peddle? I mean, if you barely push it, nothing happens... until you go just a but farther and then it seems like of like the car lurches a bit (not as smooth as other cars I've driven). Some say that this is intentional to make it feel as though the car is faster than it is... I'm guessing that this has nothing to do with the ECU though (probably some sort of linkage to the ECU...).

Thanks!
It is a learning ECU, that might have something to do with it. Try resetting it and see, just disconnect battery for 30 minutes.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 PM

Thanks!
just add a few bolt on mods you will get rid of that feeling lol, thats the exact thing im talking about when i say i drive stock ones all day at work and they feel peppier rite off the jump.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 PM

cool im debating doing this soon, once all the quirks are taking care off.