6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The real way to install a UDP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why? R U experiencing pinging too? I don't think that would cause that. The sound is like a loud clock......although outside it is barely noticeable.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:11 PM

I have noticed pinging, but I dont know when it started. Ill probably start splashing the tank with 3-4 gallons of 100 octane.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Pinging

Hopefully that higher octane should help. You guys have 100 proof down there? Wow.

Keep me posted.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:36 AM

Piging is sometimes due to engine running hot, under xtra load like AC. But water pump is engine driven. Just don't see how UDP would cause piging?
Can the lighter UDP make the piging more audible? Acting like a tuning fork?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:44 AM

I actually noticed a bit of pinging before. It seems to come and go. I probably should just splash the tank with 100 octane to raise octane a few points.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 PM

Replaced pulley and now pinging starts? Can higher octane really be the answer? It can't be the long term fix though, 100 octane would get expensive especially considering the crazy price of gas right now.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:37 PM

It was pinging a bit before, so the UDP did NOT cause the pinging. Although 100 octane is $6 per gallon, if you spalsh it, in other words, put in maybe 4 gallons, its only another $8-10 per tank.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:45 PM

The 94 octane actually helped. Another way to solve this is to wait until the tank is almost empty and the yellow light (low fuel) warning comes on. Then add your super high octance. About $15 - $20 worth should do the trick. I remember my 2k2 Max doing the same thing so it can not be due to the UDP as I never moded that car. I can tell you that it's not that audible unless you bring your ear down to the right wheel well (front passenger side). The crickets were much louder tonight! LOL I stopped the car once we got home from my friends cottage and I thought I heard the same squeeking belt noise, so I left the engine running in my driveway and went over the the front right side of the car. I had a good Laugh! If the crickets can drown it, it can't be that bad!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:59 AM
.org extraordinaire

STICKY!!!

WHERE ARE OUR MODERATORS, guys sticky this, its great.

Kam
Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Yes .. if u want ur wheel to fall off, lol!!
What are the two recommended belt sizes?

Kamski
Old 10-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Belt Sizes

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
What are the two recommended belt sizes?

Kamski

K060400 and K040300

Regards,

XO
Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...12_32_full.jpg
Old 10-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Beautiful!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM

I just came back from visiting NYC this past week-end. It was our Canadian thanksgiving holiday. Last time was May 1986. Times Sq. was incredible. We stayed at the Milford Plaza Hotel in the heart of the theatre district one block from Times Sq. We did the night tour on Saturday and after we ate pizza at John's...I heard they are famous. We then went down to Starbucks for a coffee on 8th Street a bit off the beet and track. It was nice and quiet. While I was paying for our coffees someone came up to the counter to order a coffee and nudged my shoulder...it was my favorite actor Robin Williams! We chatted for five minutes while we waited for our orders. He was very gracious and I posed for a picture with him that my daughter took. My wife was too stunned and shy to step into the shot. My daughter is 14.... and very cute! It was an incredible moment. I found out later that he was in town for the Letterman show to promote his new movie! I also got a picture with Rupert the snack bar owner made famous by David Letterman! I drove there and back with a cheap rental...Malibu Maxx...what a piece of C**P. Anyway at least the weather was great and the car got us there and back safely. I did not want to take the Max as it was going to be parked for 3 days and I did not want to risk losing her. It is a 6.5 hour drive each way. We went to the Twin Tower Memorial. I was very moved by what I saw there. In 1986 I went up on the outside deck of one of the Towers. There was a memorial plaque commemorating the tightrope walk done accross from one tower to the other by a Frenchman from France. I was so sad to see what happened there. Oddly enough the fire station beside the Milford Plaza was the one that lost the most firemen on that day. 18 left and only 3 made it back.
I will say this about the taxi drivers in NYC....they're crazy! I loved the city and I also appreciate how much it has been cleaned up and how really safe it is now! I LUV NY!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by madmik
The pulley on the VQ35 is not a harmonic balancer/torsional damper. The engine is internally balanced. You probably read this version of an AEM post:

"IMPORTANT: Vehicle manufacturers have thoroughly investigated the use of torsional vibration dampeners and conclude that their use significantly reduces NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Furthermore, manufacturer and independent research shows that torsional vibration dampeners are critical to engine life where long-term use is intended. Removing the torsional vibration dampener from an engine can be highly detrimental to its long-term operation!"

Such disclaimer makes people nervous, plus other forums posting that people find gold particles in their oil soon before bearing failure (spun) and attribute the failure to the lighter pulley. Seems this is primarily caused by oil pump failure, not the pulley.

Unorthodox shows a dyno graph with 9hp/11lbs-ft improvement on a VQ35 02 Max with their pulley. Didn't think it was that much gain.
hmm no problem... 9hp/11lbs-ft gain.... thats shown from unothodox.. but does anyone else have dynos showing their gains? you know how companies like to lie
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM

if its pinging loud enough for you to hear then i think you should have it checked. the knock sensors should detect it long before its audible enough for you to hear, and retard the ignition timing
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
if its pinging loud enough for you to hear then i think you should have it checked. the knock sensors should detect it long before its audible enough for you to hear, and retard the ignition timing
+1. Or they're not hearing detonation pinging but something else.

I've been holding back on getting a UDP, but I might just go for it.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
GrandPa

A blast from the past. This thread was started in 2006.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM

is it just me or does the under drive pulley sound a little far fetched. id rather not worry about the alleged hp gains and not over "spool" my accessories (alternators, power steering, A/C, etc). seeing as how they are all meant to do certain pressures and voltage outputs at idle and what not. it seems to me like you take Nissan's preferred specs and just throw them out the window in the interest of shiny spinning bits. what are you going to tell someone who is checking out your car anyways..

"i put a different cranks pulley on it for a few extra HP"

"can you feel it?"

"no"

"then whats the point?"

{closes hood}

at least if you buy an intake or something you can scare people with sexy car noises lol
Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

is it just me or does the under drive pulley sound a little far fetched. id rather not worry about the alleged hp gains and not over "spool" my accessories (alternators, power steering, A/C, etc). seeing as how they are all meant to do certain pressures and voltage outputs at idle and what not. it seems to me like you take Nissan's preferred specs and just throw them out the window in the interest of shiny spinning bits. what are you going to tell someone who is checking out your car anyways..

"i put a different cranks pulley on it for a few extra HP"

"can you feel it?"

"no"

"then whats the point?"

{closes hood}

at least if you buy an intake or something you can scare people with sexy car noises lol
But with the extra HP and performance gains you can back it up!!! The cast iron OEM pulley is heavy but for every pound you shave off your cars pulley weight is a 2-1/2 HP gain per pound and most cars see a 7-9hp gain with the benefit of a lighter load on your engine. I've had my Unorthodox lightweight racing pulley on my car for 3+ years with no issues. And if you live in Canada, you don't have to worry so much about slower A/C at idiol anyway. But hey, some of us actually like going faster verse sounding faster...
Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM

i highley doubt when you put it on you could actually feel a difference though, MAYBE a bit faster revs from less parasitic loss

some people cant afford 1 off turbo installs...empties coins from wallet
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM

I'll contest to that. I have had mine in for a little over 2 years, but never really felt a difference in HP. I did notice that the tach flew up much quicker though. Also, never really noticed a change in the accessories, except maybe not as much power for the AC. But then again, in Upstate NY not that big of a deal.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know the belt size for AC bypass on a 06 maxima? I see other threads about this but there maxima is a 00. btw I have all stock pulleys.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rus1an
Anyone know the belt size for AC bypass on a 06 maxima? I see other threads about this but there maxima is a 00. btw I have all stock pulleys.
04-08 should all be the same:

These are Gates belts

ALTERNATOR & A/C BELT:
(41.5" or 1055mm) or (41" 5/8 or 1066mm)

POWER STEERING BELT:
(30.75" or 780mm)
Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

read my question, AC BYPASS BELT not the regular belt.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Hey man good luck finding the belt you are looking for...
Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM

So the udp is practice and safe to use?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Happy hunting...
Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 AM

Are all pulleys created equal? Or are there some companies to stay away from..

Last edited by Mu33rto; 04-04-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM

just installed mine today, only difference is mine is the Sc model (stock diameter) with new oem belts from nissan. overall the install went well. only ***** was the p/s. the a/c was simple. the bumping the starter is an amazing trick! i did it 2 times and it loosened up. after that, it was a matter of taking the oem pulley off and putting the new one on. to torque it, i put the ebrake on and put the tranny in 6th gear. torqued it to ~140ft/lbs. from all i have read, after you get the new pulley on, torque it to 33 ft/lbs first to seat it. and from there on, i just incremented it by 30ft/lbs til i got to 140ft/lbs. have pix if ppl are interested.

will report results shortly!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Yep, love that "bump" trick. Have used it for years!!! Let us know how you like the new pulley.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM

just got to austin for my brother graduation tmrw morning. i must say, the car is very peppy. even cruising in 6th gear with a/c on blast and system going, you hit the gas and the car starts to go w/o any hesitation! i never disconnected the negative terminal [forgot to do] so its relearning by itself. when i get back into town, i may just disconnect the batt and drive it "spiritedly" to see if that makes it better! but so far, i am happy for this upgrade!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM

lol wow
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jayson_Gold
lol wow
On his profile: Rus1an has not made any friends yet
Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
On his profile: Rus1an has not made any friends yet
well neither have I but I know not to be rude to people trying to help you

I need to get to work on some maxima buddies
Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 AM

well neither have I but I know not to be rude to people trying to help you

I need to get to work on some maxima buddies
I like you already!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 PM

hahahaha thanks

also, keeping this thread near the top so dont have to search for it when my UDP gets here on thursday
Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 AM

So I had my Cosmo Racing UDP installed by a local mechanic after I broke a few sockets trying to break the Camshaft bolt loose and it all seems to be running better but, there is a noticeable difference in the A/C...

When you aren't on the gas the a/c fan speed is semi powerful and when you step on it the speed increases considerably

I assume this will eventually cause premature damage to the A/C components?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 PM

So I had my Cosmo Racing UDP installed by a local mechanic after I broke a few sockets trying to break the Camshaft bolt loose and it all seems to be running better but, there is a noticeable difference in the A/C...

When you aren't on the gas the a/c fan speed is semi powerful and when you step on it the speed increases considerably

I assume this will eventually cause premature damage to the A/C components?
First of all its the crankshaft bolt, not camshaft. Second, you need to use hardened steel sockets, the black ones. The AC may run a bit warmer at idle. U can always increase ur idle. I live in so cal and I dont notice a difference even when its 100+ degrees outside. If anything, it slows down teh wear process since the pulley is turning the compressor slower.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
First of all its the crankshaft bolt, not camshaft. Second, you need to use hardened steel sockets, the black ones. The AC may run a bit warmer at idle. U can always increase ur idle. I live in so cal and I dont notice a difference even when its 100+ degrees outside. If anything, it slows down teh wear process since the pulley is turning the compressor slower.
coolio man

thanks!

I think i mean't to write camshaft