6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Just received my suspension system from Cattman!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Just received my suspension system from Cattman!

It took a little over a week for me to finally get it, but its here. I have the whole package including 4 Springs, RSB and 4 KYB GR2s. I am going to try and get them on tomorrow if not sometime this week. I am going to take before and after pics....until then just be on the look out
Old 07-25-2006, 05:57 PM

NICE ! imma order my soon
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DRU1
It took a little over a week for me to finally get it, but its here. I have the whole package including 4 Springs, RSB and 4 KYB GR2s. I am going to try and get them on tomorrow if not sometime this week. I am going to take before and after pics....until then just be on the look out
You better give us some "handling before and after" specs! And also the comfort of before and after!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Hurry up!!..........I wanna do the same thing except I might just do my front and leave the back where it is. Get some before and after pics up A.S.A.P.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 PM

good luck with the install, i know when i got my k-sports i stayed up all night putting them on after i got off work at 11pm.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:34 AM

Im gonna try and get it done tomorrow, but i have to make sure my friend is gonna be able to come with me. Ive changed springs on a car before but that was back in high school which was about 5 years ago.....

Does anyone else have a guesstimation as to how long it should take to put everything in?

I will be taking alot of pics and you will see them all....also i will let you all know the ride differences.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I defenitely want to know how this goes!!! Please post comments asap.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Im gonna try and get it done tomorrow, .....

Does anyone else have a guesstimation as to how long it should take to put everything in?
One hour each wheel. I read my service manual ahead of time for torque specs, tools, etc. At least read the GR2 instructions on the re-assembly of the front top strut mount. Position end of springs in same spot. There is an engineering reason why the suspension is the way it is.

Also depends if you sprayed WD40 the day before. Rear has more parts but I find is easier. The front is just one piece, the strut, but more complex because of the top mount. I hope you have your spring compressor.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
One hour each wheel. I read my service manual ahead of time for torque specs, tools, etc. At least read the GR2 instructions on the re-assembly of the front top strut mount. Position end of springs in same spot. There is an engineering reason why the suspension is the way it is.

Also depends if you sprayed WD40 the day before. Rear has more parts but I find is easier. The front is just one piece, the strut, but more complex because of the top mount. I hope you have your spring compressor.

Hey thanks for the info....i figured it would take around that time...maybe a little longer for the first one, but once i get it i will know what to do.

see im in the Army and they have an auto shop here on post and it has everything you need for your car.....the good thing about it is they have certified techs on hand for any questions i may have....

The only ****ty thing is that they will be closed for repair for 3 days...bastards SO now it will most likely be this weekend when i get it done.....so please be patient, i can only work with what ive been delt
Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 PM

ooo snap...how are the GR2s...when you put them in cause thats the only thing i'm interested in...sorry...buh congratz on your purchase i doubt you'll regret it.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
ooo snap...how are the GR2s...when you put them in cause thats the only thing i'm interested in...sorry...buh congratz on your purchase i doubt you'll regret it.
UPDATE: Ok, so i just found out that i will not be able to this on the weekend...but come early monday morning it will be done.....im about to be on restriction in the army so i will not be able to do it myself...i unfortunantly have to pay someone to do it ....but thats ok cuz its less work for me

I am gonna have the shop take pictures for me though....and im gonna take a actual messurement before and after the springs and of course i will let you all know the ride quality.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Get an Altima SE-R front sway bar too to complete the package
Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 AM

So later today will be the big day....i cant wait for this to happen....this is just basically a bump so that you all know its comming
Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 AM

Need BEFORE and after pictures..........hurry. And let us know the difference in ride quality as well

thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by PENROSE2006
Need BEFORE and after pictures..........hurry. And let us know the difference in ride quality as well

thanks
let us know detail mang.!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM

:attention Ok, well i got it back....i didnt have time to drive it too far nor do i have time to put up pics just yet...most likely by 12 oclock tonight (alaska time)...anyway i did get to go over some bumpy roads and test out the suspension....

I like it alot better than before.....with the stock it was a bit stiff and hit hard when i would hit a big bump....now it is more "bouncy" felling...like if you have ever rode in a cadi, the suspension feels close to that....it may have an extra bounce or two after hitting a bigger bump but it feels much better.

I really didnt drive much to be able to feel the RSB but im sure i will later on....it is alot thicker than the stock one, so im sure it does what it says.

The springs actually dropped it a bit more in the back then what i thought.
The total drop in the front was an even 2 inches....the drop in the back was 1 1/4 inches total

After driving the car for a short period of time i was really impressed....hopefully in the next couple of days i will be able to drive around more so that i can give more input.....but from what ive seen i would definently encourage any of you to buy the whole set up....i think it was well worth my money.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
vsamoylov

no more boat feeling. lucky you

Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I finally received the whole package to. We ordered two sets one for me and one for my brother. I will get it installed in about 2 weeks. Is there anything we should know when putting it all together....you know, like don't overtighten this and put it this way and not the other.

Any info would be helpful
Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I finally received the whole package to. We ordered two sets one for me and one for my brother. I will get it installed in about 2 weeks. Is there anything we should know when putting it all together....you know, like don't overtighten this and put it this way and not the other.

Any info would be helpful
Just make sure to not put the sway bar on up-side down, because a few people have done so and heard it right away! lol As for the struts/shocks and springs, just make sure to put the struts in front and shcoks in back! lol
Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Thanks PRJCTMAX can you be more specific. Which ones are the shocks and which ones qualify and struts. I understand that the springy part is the sway bar and the long straigt bar is supposed to be wrapped around the strut. Correct?

hehe
Old 07-31-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Thanks PRJCTMAX can you be more specific. Which ones are the shocks and which ones qualify and struts. I understand that the springy part is the sway bar and the long straigt bar is supposed to be wrapped around the strut. Correct?

hehe
omg, lol i thought you were serious for the first 2 seconds! rofl
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
haha me too....i think i got more stupider after reading that

I wasnt able to instal it myself though because i got in trouble in the military and would not have been able to install it for at least a month and a half.....so i said screw it and paid for it......

Just make sure you get all four of your wheels prof. aligned so that your wells dont start to cave in....because after your springs set in they will start to make your wheel lopsided.....it cost about $100 around here for all 4 but it is something you have to do
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM

OK so i got my pics finally
b4 frontafter front

back b4back after
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 AM

springs b4springs after
Old 08-01-2006, 06:00 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Got ya there for a second.

LOL, I enjoy getting laughs outta this place..

I have received all the stuff already except the racing endlings which should be here anytime soon. I have to wait about two weeks before install anyway as funds are getting low and need to buy some other stuff (CAI, possibly RIMS). I would want to do it all in one shot but we'll see.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Great!! Any before or after pics of the whole car? The wheel-well close-ups are good but I would like to see what the entire side profile of the car looks like. The front looks really good and I am glad to hear you say that so far the ride/suspension is actually improved (is yours an SE or SL?). The back looks like it is a little too low for my taste, I think I will just do the front.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

The back looks like it is a little too low for my taste, I think I will just do the front.
You know I kinda agree with you. I bought the whole set and don't know what to do now. Wasn't the advertised drop supposed to be only about .8 of an inch? The idea was to even out the car front to back. With the front dropped only about half an inch I think the whole idea is out the door.

I might just change the front springs/struts and skip the springs in the rear. In the rear I would probably just install the KYB shocks, RSB and endlinks.

Also, I think that with time things eventually settle so does that mean it will drop even more?

Damn I got the wholes set in the basement and nothing but confusion in my head. HELP!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM

To me, from looking at these pics, it looks like the front was dropped about 1.5 inches. And after these new suspension parts "settle" or "break in", they may drop another 1/2 inch?? If that is true then the front looks pretty damn good. But the back looks as if it has dropped at least as much as the front. Which gives the car the same "reverse rake" as a stock Maxima, only the whole car is lower now. This is not what I am looking for. I would like my car to be level (actually, I would like my front end to be a tad lower than the back). I think if I just get front end done with springs and the GR2's that I will get the look that I am after.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

But then your car wouldnt be level.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:09 PM

To me, from looking at these pics, it looks like the front was dropped about 1.5 inches. And after these new suspension parts "settle" or "break in", they may drop another 1/2 inch?? If that is true then the front looks pretty damn good. But the back looks as if it has dropped at least as much as the front. Which gives the car the same "reverse rake" as a stock Maxima, only the whole car is lower now. This is not what I am looking for. I would like my car to be level (actually, I would like my front end to be a tad lower than the back). I think if I just get front end done with springs and the GR2's that I will get the look that I am after.
I do kinda agree with you all about the drop in the back....i was expecting a bit less of a drop but im not real mad with it.....b4 i put on everything i messured the front and the rear, from the ground to the top of the fender wall....the front went from 29.4 inches to 27.4 inches.....the back went from 27 1/2 to 26 1/4

The guy at the shop told me that the front might drop down a little more because of the weight of the engine....if it did that would be great because it still has a little gap

Great!! Any before or after pics of the whole car? The wheel-well close-ups are good but I would like to see what the entire side profile of the car looks like. The front looks really good and I am glad to hear you say that so far the ride/suspension is actually improved (is yours an SE or SL?). The back looks like it is a little too low for my taste, I think I will just do the front.
I have some older pics before the lift of my car and i will take some new ones of the whole thing from a further distance.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
.org extraordinaire

I do kinda agree with you all about the drop in the back....i was expecting a bit less of a drop but im not real mad with it.....b4 i put on everything i messured the front and the rear, from the ground to the top of the fender wall....the front went from 29.4 inches to 27.4 inches.....the back went from 27 1/2 to 26 1/4

The guy at the shop told me that the front might drop down a little more because of the weight of the engine....if it did that would be great because it still has a little gap

I have some older pics before the lift of my car and i will take some new ones of the whole thing from a further distance.

Dude, i have the same springs on my ride. Take out whatever junk u have in the trunk and take some fresh pics.
http://www.watsonsglen.com/Kam/Maxima/Nismo
Old 08-02-2006, 12:10 AM

the drop looks good!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 AM

well thats still not badd don't forget i think the rear wheel well sits naturally lower than the front wheel well...i mean correct me if i'm wrong. buh i don't get it that wuh you were lokoing for?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Dude, i have the same springs on my ride. Take out whatever junk u have in the trunk and take some fresh pics.
http://www.watsonsglen.com/Kam/Maxima/Nismo
Well mine is gonna sit a little lower because i have a heavy as speaker box in the back that holds and eclipse twelve, but it still dropped down 1 1/4 inches.....the box was in the back b4 and after the messurments....

Im not complaining about the drop, and im happy with the results...i just wanted it to be more level thats all....if the front could look like the back without scrapping on anything then i would have it like that...but it cant so i wont....

Kam nice car by the way