6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Did you blow your stock shocks with a spring only install?
Blew um'
32.00%
They're fine
68.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Lowering Springs + Shocks = What Luck For You?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lowering Springs + Shocks = What Luck For You?

I am ready to lower my Maxima and I honestly bought the car based on a lot of the creature comforts, ie: ride quality. I have lowered many cars in the past with everything from hydraulics to cutting springs on others.

I want to do this right on this car (I'm nor 17 anymore) and while I EXPECT a stiffer ride, I don't want it to be dramatically different from the stock 04' SE suspension. I have been reading many threads on springs here and I was surprised to read that some people are blowing stock shocks with spring installs.

Of those of you have gone with spring only installs, what % of you are blowing shocks and how long after the install? What package did you install?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

After almost 3 years owning my max, still have the original OEM struts in the front and have had ZERO problems. My ride is also lowered with Eibach springs for more than 2 years, again ZERO problems. I changed my rear shocks recently because I take my car to the track and wanted a tighter rear to reduce "The Squat!!!" FWD thing...
Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 AM

i just recently put k-sport coilovers on my car at 40k and all 4 of my stock shocks were blown when i took them off, btw the k-sports ride great compared to the handling and look benifits def consider them you can get an awesome deal on them usually under $800
Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
*moderator*

I ran my Eibachs for almost 2 years with no problem, I'm on K-Sports now as well...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:23 AM

My struts were blown 4 times already, on stock springs. I am in the porcess of getting Cattman suspension setup. I will be installing it on Tuesday. So far I have heard nothing but good reviews.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by mr.b
I want to do this right on this car
With this quote there should be no reason for the question you are asking. The right way would be replacing the springs, struts, and shocks. Just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by mroleg
My struts were blown 4 times already, on stock springs. I am in the porcess of getting Cattman suspension setup. I will be installing it on Tuesday. So far I have heard nothing but good reviews.
Got's to love them NY streets!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:39 AM

My front passenger strut blew while still under warranty with stock springs. I've been on Progress springs for about half a year now and no issues so far
Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
With this quote there should be no reason for the question you are asking. The right way would be replacing the springs, struts, and shocks. Just my opinion.

Agreed but I don't want the stiff ride that I would assume the struts and shocks would add. That's just what I have read. I'm not so much doing this for performance than look. It's a daily beater you know?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Agreed but I don't want the stiff ride that I would assume the struts and shocks would add. That's just what I have read. I'm not so much doing this for performance than look. It's a daily beater you know?
DAILY BEATER?!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:24 PM

I suppose, I did mine for both. I love the look of a nice drop but performance is more important to me. Also, with the stock struts it will feel very bouncy, especially when they start to go. With aftermarket struts it rides smoother and the car doesnt bounce near as much. I only went through 3 sets of front stock struts while on Eibach so I guess I kinda have a strong opinion though.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Mr B you might aswell jump on that GB from cattman on Kyb gr2's before the 31st if you think that you will blow stock struts?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by chernmax
Got's to love them NY streets!!!
Tell me about it. lol
Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by RideTuner
My front passenger strut blew while still under warranty with stock springs. I've been on Progress springs for about half a year now and no issues so far
This just happened to me. My car is in the shop and I am now driving an Altima loaner. I'm riding on Progress springs with everything else OEM. Dealer is replacing the struts under warrenty.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM

JUST BLEW, MINE THIS WEEK, FRONT RIGHT MAKING ALL KINDS OF NOISES, SOUNDS LIKE SH*T. GOT BRAND NEW KYB'S GR2's all around will go on this week. SHould be good!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:01 AM

Just got my KYB GR2's with Cattman springs installed all around. Feels awesome.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Hello there, I'm interrested in lower my ride using just progress springs, Question, did anyone had any problems with the SHIMMI right after lowering the car???? I have a 06 and I do not have shimmi, I'm afraid to lower the car and then get this problem.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:30 AM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Originally Posted by jorgep03
Hello there, I'm interrested in lower my ride using just progress springs, Question, did anyone had any problems with the SHIMMI right after lowering the car???? I have a 06 and I do not have shimmi, I'm afraid to lower the car and then get this problem.
That shimmy that you speak of has nothing to do with a lowered suspension also READ THE STICKYS.......... thank you and goodnight
Old 08-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jorgep03

I am lowered on Cattmans, no shimmy before or after.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM

Has anyone tried an air suspension? The owner of the shop that will ultimately do the lowering on my car has a Dodge Magnum that has an air suspension. He can drop it and raise it with a button inside and it has 5 inches of travel. That is appealing to me because if you happened to be going down a really bumpy road you could just raise it up and not worry about dragging.

I chatted with him just a little about it as I was leaving the shop so I didn't get the price or find out if it was something that could be done on the Maxima but now I am wondering. Wouldn't that solve a ton of lowering issues (ride quality, blown parts, being "too low" at times)?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would also like to know more about this "Air Suspension" system. I just got my Eibach kit and I am installing it this week. I am currently investigating rubber. My Goodyears are done after 2 years. I am interested in something that has a RIM protector. Hey did anyone see the new BMW 3 coupe? They have introduced 3 rim packages as options. 1 of them is a copy of our 05 SE rims and the other is a copy of the 07 SE! I have a question for the Eibach spring owners: How many have not installed the rear springs? And is it recommended? I personally think one should install all four....am I right?

Also I would have loved to install 4 coil-overs however they would totally rust out after 2 years up hear in Montreal with our salt and sand in our long winters.

I would have to go with adjustable shocks when or if I change them.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I would also like to know more about this "Air Suspension" system. I just got my Eibach kit and I am installing it this week. I am currently investigating rubber. My Goodyears are done after 2 years. I am interested in something that has a RIM protector. Hey did anyone see the new BMW 3 coupe? They have introduced 3 rim packages as options. 1 of them is a copy of our 05 SE rims and the other is a copy of the 07 SE! I have a question for the Eibach spring owners: How many have not installed the rear springs? And is it recommended? I personally think one should install all four....am I right?

Also I would have loved to install 4 coil-overs however they would totally rust out after 2 years up hear in Montreal with our salt and sand in our long winters.

I would have to go with adjustable shocks when or if I change them.
There is no law that states you HAVE TO INSTALL ALL FOUR SPRINGS! But you will notice under-steer, and from installing just Progress springs in front on my car, I have only noticed a minor difference in "un-even dampening, but other than that, it has been great for more than a month or so now. Good Luck

Dan
Old 08-27-2006, 07:57 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I changed springs, shocks, struts, sway bar, endlinks. Awesome ride. Mechanic installed endlinks on the oposite side of sway bar so it is making noise. Should have no problems one this is taken care of this week. Awesome handling. Bit rough for NY roads but doing twists at 70 MPH is awesome.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 AM

On stock springs and my 3rd set of OEM struts at 17,000 miles. They did change the part number on this set of struts from the origional and the second set as well. Maybe the third time is the charm, rides way better than the first 2 sets. When they blow, they go in the trash and I will get the Cattman springs and new struts/shocks.