6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan Details New V-6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM

By Mike Sutton
WardsAuto.com, Aug 22, 2006 3:19 PM

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. formally announces two new versions of its legendary VQ V-6 gasoline engine. Displacing 3.5L and 2.5L, the new VQ35HR and VQ25HR are designed for front-engine, rear-wheel-drive applications and feature more power and improved emissions over current VQ mills, the Japanese auto maker says.

The HR designation stands for “high revolution” and “high response,” Nissan says, adding the engines feature a smooth powerband with a class-leading 7,500-rpm maximum engine speed. Horsepower and torque figures have not been officially released, but reports have the new 3.5L mill pumping out 306 Society of Automotive Engineers-certified horsepower.

Benefits of the redesign include a 10% improvement in fuel efficiency compared with current VQ engines, along with a Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) rating, the auto maker says.

Redesigned '07 G35 will feature the new 3.5L VQ powerplant.

A redesigned engine block with improved rigidity, along with the adoption of continuously variable intake valve timing and electromagnetic exhaust valve timing, are the most significant editions to the HR engines.

Other improvements include: lighter, redesigned internal components; symmetrical intake system; isometric exhaust manifold with symmetrical exhaust system; and improved ignition and emission electronics. Nissan says it will build the engines at its plant in Iwaki, Japan.

The all-new ’07 Nissan Skyline, which launches in Japan this fall and is known as the Infiniti G35 in the U.S., will be the first application for the new engines. The redesigned ’07 G35 will feature the new 3.5L VQ powerplant, as well, when it goes on sale in November.

Nissan has produced more than 5.5 million VQ V-6 engines since its introduction in 1994. The engine also is the only powerplant to appear on Ward’s 10 Best Engines list every year since the competition’s inception in 1995.
msutton@wardsauto.com

I expect that perhaps the 08 Max and certainly the 7 Gen Max will have this improved VQ engine.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
Displacing 3.5L and 2.5L, the new VQ35HR and VQ25HR are designed for front-engine, rear-wheel-drive applications
hmm...2.5L RWD? that probably wouldn't make it to any of the cars in the US but still curious...but what about the altima? isn't that going to have the VQ35HR in it? They must have FWD versions of the engine as well..
Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 AM

Im thinking the max better go rwd if it gets 300hp. Oh and I am really leaning toward buying a '07 G35, 300hp and 7500 rpm with rwd!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
hmm...2.5L RWD? that probably wouldn't make it to any of the cars in the US but still curious...but what about the altima? isn't that going to have the VQ35HR in it? They must have FWD versions of the engine as well..

The new Altima will also have the new VQ35 as announced a few months back, good for 268 SAE certified HP. Maybe the 2.5L will replace the BURNING HOT QR25.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

The new G is hot, but the 335i coupe is also 300hp/RWD and will be out next month around $45,000
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX

oh it will, and its called, altima coupe
Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
The new G is hot, but the 335i coupe is also 300hp/RWD and will be out next month around $45,000

True but every friend I know with a BMW I have picked up in my Nissan from the BMW service department.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM

ill still take the g, pretty sure it wont be as expensive as 45000, more like 39-40 fully loaded
Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 PM

nah...the g is basically the same class as the alti...lolxz...and that makes it sick as ****...

man thats a freakin swt ride...i love that car. after iwe lost the 05 maxima we had we were deciding on whether or not we were willing to wait for the 07 g35 or just get the 06 maxima. well 1. i couldn't wait. 2. i wanted a max again cause i wanted to try this babii out again with no regrets.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM

Nissan makes some pretty sick engines , do all these new ones last as long as the 90+ v6's?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Related links

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=483029
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=482184

IMO...
We need a VQ35DD
Old 08-23-2006, 12:40 PM

The new G ROXZ...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

in 2008, i hope to be done with school and working my real job again, so the 08 version of the g35, with a nice one year under its belt will be in my sight, that car looks hot in a 4 door, I would never do 2 door because last time i did that for 3 days with a 04 2 door g35 my car insurance went to 3k a year.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:43 AM

Hey would anyone here, trade in their 05 or 06 Maxima SE for the new altima 3.5SE? Considering you get intelligent key, umm blue tooth, push start, CVT and the same HP and torque as an 05 Max. Plus altima would give you better mileage right? I donno.

I was thinking of either doing that or, installing blue tooth capability in my 05, which is the only other feature i want. By the way, can nissan add that to an 05???? how much would that feature cost, roughly?

What do you guys think, im new here, so pls do reply. I have had my Max for over a year, i didnt get navi, however nissan said they could umm fix the stock navi for me, but it would cost a lot. they didnt give me a ball park figure.

Im located in vancouver, so please do let me know, what all of your thoughts are.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by blackmaxiscool
Hey would anyone here, trade in their 05 or 06 Maxima SE for the new altima 3.5SE? Considering you get intelligent key, umm blue tooth, push start, CVT and the same HP and torque as an 05 Max. Plus altima would give you better mileage right? I donno.

I was thinking of either doing that or, installing blue tooth capability in my 05, which is the only other feature i want. By the way, can nissan add that to an 05???? how much would that feature cost, roughly?

What do you guys think, im new here, so pls do reply. I have had my Max for over a year, i didnt get navi, however nissan said they could umm fix the stock navi for me, but it would cost a lot. they didnt give me a ball park figure.

Im located in vancouver, so please do let me know, what all of your thoughts are.

Get aftermarket Navi and Bluetooth, best way to go.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

That new G looks crazy sweet.

And I guess this confirms questions about Nissan putting out RWD models in the next few years..
Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Hey would anyone here, trade in their 05 or 06 Maxima SE for the new altima 3.5SE? Considering you get intelligent key, umm blue tooth, push start, CVT and the same HP and torque as an 05 Max.
I'm not one to switch cars before they have been used to my satisfaction. MY 04 has 46 K miles and many more to go before I consider her "used up." Some time around 150 K miles I might consider getting a replacement. When that time comes and if Maxima does not begin offering a 6-speed manual trannie option again, I would consider both the Altima and a comparable Infiniti (both with a manual trannie) and go for the one that I like the best. At this point, my preference would be to get another Max -- but it has to have a manual trannie for me to buy it. It doesn't have to have 6 speeds, a 7 or 8 speed manual trannie would be ok.

At 82 MPH my 04 VQ is screaming at 3 K RPM, and a higher top gear ratio (by offering more gears) would give me better mileage by letting the engine loaf a little more at about 2.5 K RPM or so when going 82 MPH.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Hey RHMax,

You said to go for a aftermarket bluetooth. Any websites i can visit?. Secondly, if you have it aftermarket, is it just like stock, you get to talk thru the car speaksers? And umm where do you pick up ur calls from, do they install a button on the steering wheel?

Would it lower my resale value? if i didnt get this thru Nissan?. I just dont want it to look cheesy, i want it to look as if its part of the car.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks SilverMax,

The only reason i was thinking that way, is because the gas prices these days are so high. Secondly, i notice when you race the max and your hitting 4,000 or 5,000 rpm and shifting in manual mode, your loosing a lot of gas, even in Auto mode and you kick it, the Max responds very well, but it drinks a lot of gas.

However, when you cruise in auto, and you just smoothe your way thru, without kicking it, i notice its good on gas, in the sense, i dont have to fill it up as often.

The reason i asked about the Altima, was because, i thought if i do a trade in, would i be able to lower my monthly finance? That was the main reason. Secondly the new features. RHMax has told me to get bluetooth aftermarket, what are your thoughts SilverMax. How would you, upgrade your car? Without you know things affecting your resale Value.

Do you need details about my finance rate and monthly, would that help you decide better? I really need to think on this and make a decision.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM

You have the gas mileage figured out. Drive smart and use less gas -- drive hard and use more. With my 6-speed I frequently coast in neutral to save fuel -- but only when conditions are safe.

The value you would lose on your current Max by trading it in on a new Altima is a "cost" you should not forget. In your case, you should decide what features you want that you don't have and buy them in the best aftermarket you can afford. I don't have a navi, but the advantage of being able to move an aftermarket navi from one vehicle to another will mean that I probably never specifically buy a vehicle because it has a factory navi system.

The older you get the more it becomes obvious that any vehicle you buy is a compromize between what you want, what is available, and most importantly what you can afford. I would never trade a car before it was at least 2 years old -- the "depreciation" that the system has built into new cars is so great that you need to spread it over 2 years minimum. By that I mean: Drive a new car out the dealer's door and around the block and then back to see how much it is worth as a "used car." The loss of value will floor you.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Well everyone knows cars are a waste of money in most cases, thats why I cannot even bring myself to putting alot of money into the car for any mods. Im getting rims but thats only because there are great deals on the net for packages and I need tires...but otherwise I think its agreed cars in general are not an investment, and modding them only compounds it, its a luxury.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
dla

SilverMax:

I saw that same article yesterday when poking around their global sight. My first thought was "I hope they put this VQ in then next gen Max". It will be interesting to see what the official numbers are.

Off topic:
Well everyone knows cars are a waste of money in most cases, thats why I cannot even bring myself to putting alot of money into the car for any mods. Im getting rims but thats only because there are great deals on the net for packages and I need tires...but otherwise I think its agreed cars in general are not an investment, and modding them only compounds it, its a luxury.
I would agree to some extent that adding mods could muddy the perceived value of any vehicle (unless it is truly a classic), but I think most people mod their rid to have something unique (looks and/or power) that they can call their own. Like you said, you’re getting rims (that’s a mod) because you need tires. You made the conscious decision based on a $ value. That’s like saying I have to put in a CAI because I like the sound and I need a new air filter anyway. Some people have more $’s and they make the conscious decision to do mods. Myself, I’m a stock kinda guy.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:18 AM

Hey SilverMax,

Well, your completely right. Its just the feeling you get, when something is new on the road, you want your car to have that too. Im not too bothered about navi, because, in the future if i decide to get a 07G35 coupe, ill get it with navi etc.

But i really want blue tooth, where do i find quality aftermarket stuff. As i said before, Im in Vancouver, Canada. Where do i go get this installed? Could you guide me thru some websites that i can take a look at?.

Another feature silver max, is that of intelligent key, do you think its cool to have? i find it useful, definitely im guessing it would increase your resale value, ummm but wouldnt a feature like intelligent key cost a lot of money to have it aftermarket??.

Do let me know about bluetooth, because it seems more acheivable. But umm intelligent key, i donno, tell me what your thoughts are and what can be done.

Dude im personally liking the 07G35, the concept pics look great and the features are awesome, what are your thoughts? Im sure youve taken a look the 07 concept pics, doesnt it look like a sweet ride. Oh and im talking about the Coupe. Would be a wicked car to drive eh??
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 AM

I saw the new 07 up here in Montreal Canada for the first time last night at my local stealership. I liked the new interior although I also like my interior...it's like saying, "Which nice red apple do you prefer?" I do not entirely like the new head light assembly...the HID is nice however those exposed bulbs, one for the turning light and the cornering light...not my cup of tea. I also did not like the chinty cheap plastic housing they are using on the fogs...that should be painted to match the body colour and if I had one that is the first thing that I would do. 2nd I would replace the cheap fog lights with nicer ones...hid to match the color of the regular ones. I did like the spoiler though and I am thinking of changing mine. I also notice the crease on the new hood. It's ok though it's not any better than the older hood. Design wise they should have followed the hood line in parallel, it would have looked nicer. The seats are an inprovement however why bother with a switch to turn on the engine....a start/stop button would have been "cooler" and more convenient. They could have gone with a seperate key slot for the valet key.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:36 AM

I'm Feeling The 07 G35 Alot Myself. But Correct Me If I'm Wrong But That Is Not A Concept, It Is The Production Car. It Was At He Ny Auto Show And I Got A Chance To View Up Close And Personal. It Is Going To Have The Same Options As The M Series.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:03 AM

Black...cool,

Guess I'm just too old. I'm not one who has to be "connected" all the time. When I'm driving, I want to drive and not worry about what someone wanting to contact me wants to say. I will connect with them later. So Blue tooth has no appeal to me. Do a Google search and find where you can get this technology in your area.

I get used to the features I have on my current car and can appreciate the new options that are available (that I don't have) -- but I don't sell my current ride (and waste money) just to get the latest options. When the time comes to replace that ride, I check to see what features I'm willing to pay extra to get. If I spent all of my time worrying because I did not have the latest options, I could not enjoy life -- or my current ride. I try to do both.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

The premium package costs and absurd $3200. Assuming you have a blue-tooth enabled device, you could build a MONSTROUS system far superior to the Blose one. Many aftermarket HUs are starting to make this available, Asuch as Alpine and Pioneer. For a meager $600 (relative to the OEM cost) you can DIY.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Hopefully Nissan is not going the way of Honda and sacrificing low end torque for high end horsepower.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:27 AM

SilverMax and Smoked out,

Yeah, i agree with you silver, your right, i shouldnt change a car just because of an extra feature. Frankly speaking i was just worried about resale value of my 05 max, i didnt want it such when then new 09 Max comes out, my Max to not have a good value for a trade in etc.

Yes Silver i looked at a bluetooth kit, its the Motorola IHF1000, could you please look into that for me as well and tell me what you think. Thanks for your support buddy, it helps ease of the tension when your in 2 minds about selling or trading in, when you really dont want to and external factors make you think otherwise. do let me know about the motorola.

Smoked out your right, the 07Coupe is not a concept, it is a reality, however i read somewhere they may not include the LED lights and the glass panel roof, whatever it is, its still a sweet ride, looks beautiful and would love to own it someday.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 AM

Yes Silver i looked at a bluetooth kit, its the Motorola IHF1000, could you please look into that for me as well and tell me what you think. Thanks for your support buddy, it helps ease of the tension when your in 2 minds about selling or trading in, when you really dont want to and external factors make you think otherwise. do let me know about the motorola.
Black,
Remember, I'm the old fart who can't be bothered "staying connected" while I'm driving -- I enjoy driving too much. Suggest you ask Metal -- he seemed to have some good ideas in his post.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:50 PM

Another Article on Nissan's New V-6 Engine by Automotive News

Nissan sees better V-6s keeping up with 4-bangers
Nissan says the new V-6 engines get 10 percent better fuel economy than its current V-6s

James B. Treece
Automotive News | 6:00 am, August 28, 2006

TOKYO -- Nissan Motor Co. thinks U.S. car buyers will stick with V-6s if those engines provide both performance and better fuel economy. And it thinks its revised series of high-revving 2.5- and 3.5-liter "VQ" engines will fill that bill.

The engines will be offered on the 2007 Infiniti G35. The Altima will get one of the new VQ engines.

U.S. car buyers have been favoring four-cylinder engines in recent months because of $3-per-gallon gasoline. But long-term, "The six-cylinder market isn't shrinking," predicts Yo Usuba, Nissan's senior vice president in charge of the powertrain engineering division.

Nissan's current engine lineup is split this way: 50 percent four-cylinders, 25 percent V-6s and 25 percent V-8s and diesels. Nissan executives say they don't expect that to change.

"A V-6 still offers value to the customer," especially in performance, says Toshihiro Hirai, senior manager in the powertrain planning group. Nissan's plan is to improve the fuel economy of its V-6s rather than move customers to four-cylinder engines, he says.

The new V-6s offer a 10 percent improvement in fuel economy over the current VQs, Usuba says. That's mostly the result of reduced friction and improved intake and exhaust.

Usuba cited in-house tests of combined city-highway driving but would not provide specifics.

The engines also boast much higher power performance. Usuba didn't give horsepower data, but the engines are expected to offer at least 300 hp, up from 280 hp on current engines.

The new engines peak just shy of 7,000 rpm, compared with around 6,000 rpm for Nissan's current V-6s. The engine can rev up to 7,500 rpm, compared with a bit less than 6,500 now.

That gives the engines considerable power at all speeds, particularly when merging on highways. Nissan says acceleration from 0 to 62 mph is one second faster than with current V-6s.

Production of the new engines began in July at Nissan's plant in Iwaki, Japan. Nissan spent ¥10 billion, or $85.9 million at current exchange rates, refurbishing its No. 2 line there for the new engines.

The VQ series has been among Nissan's most successful engines. The company currently makes about 800,000 VQ engines a year. That is almost a quarter of its annual engine output of 3.5 million. It expects output of the new family of VQ engines, including the 2.5- and 3.5-liter ones, to reach 1 million a year.

The new engines are known as the VQ25HR and VQ35HR. The "HR" stands for "high revolution" or "high response." They were designed specifically for use in rear-wheel-drive cars.

They are the first in a new VQ family which later will include engines for front-wheel-drive cars, too.

You may e-mail James B. Treece at jtreece@crain.com