6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear Bumper Scratch: I'm crying right now!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear Bumper Scratch: I'm crying right now!

Seriously, I am totally not a happy man right now. My initial post about my new '06 6-speed is here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487890

Although I know how to drive them very well, I have never owned a manual before myself. Earlier today, I stopped at the liquor store (figures) and when I got out, parking in neutral as always, I totally forgot to set the e-brake on my brand new Max (532 miles).

It was a level ground, and I would say it only hit the car behind me at 1 MPH or 2 MPH at the most. It was very slow. The other car was fine, but I got two small two inch thin cuts on the rear bumper.

I literally almost broke down crying.. LOL -- well, ok, not crying, but I swore so much there wasn't enough words so I started making up new swears.

Anyway -- I don't think I wanna go back to the dealer ... so any advice on what to do?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:16 PM

I just repaired my bumper that was a hit and run. it was a decent scratch, but the worst part was the minor dent in the plastic. There in lies the dilemma if there is a dent. The friend I have at the body shop used heat to remove the dent and repaired the scratch. I thought that was it...it looked great. It took 2 days for the dent to come back. Moral is that a dent in these things is very difficult to remove, hence the whole bumper was replaced. If they are small scratches, a body shop may be able to buff them out with sand paper and a polymer. Wont notice the difference. Pray you have no minor dent as you will notice it as your image as a concave appearance. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:51 PM

I don't know the details but theres something they have that welds the bumpers together and can be used as a filler.It's solid not like normal body filler.I'm sure a body shop or any dealer can put you in touch with someone.
Hope this helps those in need.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:51 PM

it hurts more when its white and the orginal bumper is black .. so it shows... can you imagine?? yeah i got 2 scratches from son's of b&*($ that can't park in the street... so you cna imagine how i feel about this... =( ... i will try to get the marker from nissan to paint it over since its small little chip but it still hurts when idiots can't park
Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Banned

I shut the garage door and it skidded down my bumper and left a basketball size series of scratches. I hit it with some rubbing compound and wax and just lived with it, its only noticeable in direct sunlight. My car had low miles, something like under 10,000 I believe.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 AM

My car got two small dings in rear bumper when parking valet a$$holes bumped it into a car. I guess the body shop filled them in cuz they looked great. Could not see where it happened. Then of course the bumper get repainted.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:32 AM

I got a scratch on my rear bumper after parallell parking in front of a courthouse. I was getting my things ready to go inside and work and some lady trys to squeeze in the space behind me, she ended up bumping my car. I still regret not getting out and yelling at her but it wouldnt have done any good. I just accepted the fact that many people SUCK at driving and sh*t happens. Come down to texas and you will be amazed at how many wrecks u ALMOST get in because of other drivers.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:59 PM

My story... came out of the food store and then seen a small "dimple" at the front of the driver side door. Man was i PI$$ED!!!

THEN i show my buddy the dimple, and he was like what the h3ll!!? what happened! I didn't see why he so excited over it until he pointed out that my right front front was crushed/caved it!

I felt kind of dumb not seeing it, but no paint was peeled or flaking and since my car is majestic blue, the reflection and the lines of the car distorted the dent.... So, from the dimple in the door, a straight line lead from there to my newly crushed fender

To top the story off, i JUST raised my deductible from 250 to $500 no more than 3 weeks earlier, not EVER having to use my insurance for anything... ain't that some Sh|T!! .. go figure....
Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I shut the garage door and it skidded down my bumper and left a basketball size series of scratches. I hit it with some rubbing compound and wax and just lived with it, its only noticeable in direct sunlight. My car had low miles, something like under 10,000 I believe.

Alright, someone else who did it! Bought a new house. Put the max in the garage and closed the door. Decided to go back and see how close I was....to close. Had to adjust the marker.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^My wife did that with our 05 Pathfinder! I was able to buff it out thank god!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:12 PM

just in case you guys didnt know..there is a company called bumperpad.com you can order protection for our beloved maxi's. a 9" pad that hangs down w/security straps to lock inside your trunk is only 54.99 a small price to pay for a piece of mind..when those a$$es bump the crap out of your bumper when the parking spot is obviously too small..good luck
Old 08-25-2006, 05:40 AM

i saw that bumper pad thing on a bentley parked out side my house... looks like a descent product...

you cried? i had 69 miles on my car straight from dealer left the car over night walk out and my back bumper is scratched on the corner like someone was trying to get out and scuffed me...

now thats painful.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:13 AM

I don't know but I'm not feelin the bumper pad too much.

My son put our city trash cans directly behind my car I back into them........twice Ended up with a small dent by the license plate and a scratch.

I had local shop take care of that and spray my front bumper insert all at the same time. Good as new
Old 08-25-2006, 06:38 AM

Small dent and paint chip on my rear bumper - had it painted TWICE before. I'm not going to paint it again. Too many yahoos can't respect the distance to the max...