6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need a little help Guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Need a little help Guys

for some reason my steering wheel vibrates/shakes when i i turn it, id say about a full 180 degree turn. It wont do any thing when the car is rolling or when it is at higher rpm level then idel rpm. It only happens when im stopped, either with parking brakes on or in D. My recent mod was UDP but that was like a month and half ago, never had any problems during tht time. Any one one know what would be causing this. Its sort of feels like RPM level drops a bit when i turn the wheel and hlold it at a place, not much but i think thats what causes the vibration/shaking. Any one?

thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I remember correctly it has to do the p/s pump. At least that's what it was with my mitsu, chrylser, and honda.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:28 PM

I'm not denying there seems to be a problem with your steering system, but:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER turn the steering wheel when the car is on pavement and not moving. That is a sure sign of either a novice driver, or a driver who slept through high school physics class.

Anyone who has ever driven a car when the power steering system is not working can attest to the tremendous strain such an unthinking deed puts on the entire front steering system. That is a very good way to incur lots of front end expenses just about the time the warranty has expired.

And when the steering is turned while the car is on pavement and not moving, the tires simply scrub rubber off as they turn with around 2000 pounds weight pressing down. Wasted tire life.

The car does not have to be moving fast. Even moving one-tenth of a mile per hour is sufficient. PLEASE just give the steering system some little chance to turn the wheels without putting absurd strain on the steering components.

I beg of you.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:20 PM

180 degree turn? thats dangerious.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:44 PM

guys, by 180 degree trun i meant "turning the steering wheel" not the car. lets suppose im about to make a U turn n i come to a stop, ofcourse ill have to turn the steering wheel all the way in order to make that turn. Im waiting for the cars to go by in tht time when im holding the steering wheel in place, turned all the way ( whille waiting for the cars to go by) it starts to viberates or shakes a little. I hope this explains it better.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 PM

MaximaRacer - I would try to avoid getting into any situation where I had to turn the steering wheel very far while the car is sitting still on pavement. If you do much of that, it might be one reason your poor car is beginning to complain.

When I have to turn by switching between forward and reverse (like turning around on a narrow highway), I try to always ease the front wheels just off the pavement before turning the wheel. That takes the extreme stress off the steering system, as grass or dirt do not grip the tires.

If I have to make the turn staying on pavement, I begin reversing the steering wheel during the last few feet before stopping, then complete the reversing of the steering wheel during the first few feet or so as the car begins moving in the opposite direction. That prevents putting very intense stress on the steering components.

And, in answer to your noticing the RPMs dropping during the turning of the wheel, the force required to turn the wheels when the car is stopped on pavement is truly great, and if there is anything whatsoever not exactly right (idle speed, steering pump, etc), the RPMs will drop to where the steering wheel will probably shake.