6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Traction Control System vs Vehicle Dynamic Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:40 PM

Traction Control System vs Vehicle Dynamic Control

I know what your basic traction control system does: In just a few words, it selectively brakes the wheels that are spinning faster than the other to keep under control of the front two driven wheels

but in a FWD car... what else can you do... is vehicle dyamicic control 4 wheel traction control
Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by SilverMaxima06
I know what your basic traction control system does: In just a few words, it selectively brakes the wheels that are spinning faster than the other to keep under control of the front two driven wheels

but in a FWD car... what else can you do... is vehicle dyamicic control 4 wheel traction control
Only difference is the VDC has YAW sensor that actuates the rear brakes when side slip is detected. So 4 wheel individual braking.

TCS only works on the two front wheels.

Thats all there is too it.

Kamski
Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

I didnt realize it had a yaw accelerometer... makes sense now.

TY.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 PM

Government testing of Directional Stabilization systems (Nissan calls their version 'Vehicle Dynamic Control') has been so impressive that there is now federal legislation underway to make these systems mandatory by the 2010 model year. It may not be required that soon, but definitely will be within the near future. The system is that good.

From over 57 years driving experience, I have been aware for over fifty years that such a system was not only possible, but very much needed in order to overcome the comparatively slow response power steering offers to quick steering reversals; especially in American cars.

Interstate highways are a relatively new thing, in that thre were none in the 1950s and very few into the mid-1960s. As a result, the dozens of coast-to-coast trips I made between 1949 and around the mid-1960s were on congested two lane roads, and required much passing of slow vehicles on bad roads.

Many times I found myself in situations where I needed to spin the steering wheel lock-to-lock one way, then immediately lock-to-lock the other way in an instant in order to straighten out a skidding vehicle.

But, as those who have been in such situations well know, the power steering reacts slower than the human hand. The system usually allows the first lock-to-lock turn, but, for a fraction of a second, strongly resists turning the steering wheel back the other way.

As a result, hello ditch. If we are lucky.

That is why I patiently awaited each '04 SL arriving at my dealer for over a year in order to get exactly the car I wanted WITH VDC. I had no interest in a vehicle without this feature.

And yes, as kamilkluczewski said above, the VDC can apply braking to any one of the FOUR wheels individually, depending on the type of problem it detects.

I feel there will come a time when directional stabilization will be considered as one of the truly great improvements in automotive technology.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Stability control typically adds yaw & steering angle sensors to the existing antilock brake/traction control system. When it senses a discrepency between the steering angle and the rate of acceleration around the yaw axis (an indication of either over- or understeer) it applies the brake at one corner of the vehicle (and/or reduces engine torque) to counteract.

My S60 T5 has this feature (they call it DSTC - Dynamic Stability & Traction Control) which, fortunately, I have not ever seen activated. Although I believe I have a good connection between the seat of my pants, my brain and my hands, I just feel better with the system there. This is especially true when my wife or kids are driving.

Stability control is a great feature that I sincerely hope Nissan either makes standard or, at least, uncouples from the NAV option.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:19 PM

any good after market traction control and or stabilty control out there that would be a good investment on the little lives in the vehicle or just tearin up the road (legally
Old 05-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaximus
any good after market traction control and or stabilty control out there that would be a good investment on the little lives in the vehicle or just tearin up the road (legally
I can't agree more. I just turned in my '04 Maxima SE for my '07 Maxima SE. On my '04, I got the VDC option by sheer luck, as my dealer found a car with VDC in the color I wanted within a few days. I needed the car quickly, so I bucked up and paid the extra amount for the VDC. Money well spent -- such a unique safety feature that really can benefit you in certain conditions. I don't think I ever felt it come on in dry pavement, but in snowy weather, absolutely it helped.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:19 PM

i have driven a few different brands of cars with different versions of stability control (and tried them in the snow) and found that all are not equal. systems on european cars (especially BMW) react much quicker, more precisely, and require less slip to kick in. and than some versions have a less sensitive setting that allows you to slide around the car a bit, but will only kick in when things get out of hand. Systems in less expensive cars seem to work very well, but not as precise or quick. Just thought id share, but seems every year japs are gettng closer and closer to matching euro car performance (but euro cars seem not to be matching jap car reliability)