6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6sp LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM
.org extraordinaire

6sp LSD

Hey Guys,

I just peeked through the stickes, does the 6th Gen come with a Helical limited-slip differential? The stickies say its an option for the Manual but I'm not sure if mine has one.

Cuase thease guys make them.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/products.htm

And if I dont have one, I would like to get one installed.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 10-29-2006, 01:21 PM

O kurwa! What about the 5spd auto, or do they not make LSD's for autos?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:38 PM

Don't waste your money!

PHANTOM GRIP LSDs ARE GARBAGE!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:36 PM

Spec sheet indicates that the LSD was an option on the 04 and 05 SE.

A member of the Altimas.net forum installed one in his SE-R 6 speed
Old 10-29-2006, 02:36 PM

HLSD was an option in 04 models but very rare.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:46 PM

i think that my 06 auto has LSD...both front tires rotate. i specifically tired it. i raised it off the floor and left it in gear...i tired to hold and it wouldn't stop.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:15 PM

Kami: from experience phantom grip sucks!!! get anything else besides them..
Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by koyoki
Kami: from experience phantom grip sucks!!! get anything else besides them..
K, so I guess my car doesnt come with it?

Or does it? Cause I can allways buy one from the courtesynissan and have my stealership install it.

Kamski
Old 10-29-2006, 09:12 PM

Cool....I just bought a 2004 loaded to the max black on black maxima 6 speed....How do you know if it has HLSD or not?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:06 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Outlawd
Cool....I just bought a 2004 loaded to the max black on black maxima 6 speed....How do you know if it has HLSD or not?
I dunno, how the hell do I find out if I have and LSD in my tranny. And where can i get one if i dont?

Kam
Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 PM

For the 4th gens you find out if you have LSD by reading your VIN.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 AM

you guys could do the easy way and lift the front and put it in gear...

isn't LSD just that both wheels instead of one move...? i'm so lost...cause thats what i alwasy thought...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:06 AM
MDS

I don’t understand this either. I know that in 2004, a limited slip differential was a $350 option. Any cars that came with it had it clearly stated on the window sticker. When I bought my 2005, the LSD option it was no longer offered. (Instead, it seems Nissan relied on traction control to prevent excess wheel spin.)

In the past, I've had rear-drive cars with regular differentials. When I used to lay rubber, only one tire would spin and I would leave just one strip of black rubber on the road. From a performance perspective, it would have been great to have both tires get power because I would have had twice the traction. To the best of my knowledge, I don’t have a limited slip on my 2005 Max. But if I turn off the traction control and come off the line too hard, both tires spin and I leave two black stripes on the road. Both tires seem to get power. That looks and smells like an LSD, but according to the 2005 specifications, its not there.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The 2005 FSM implies that it was an option on 6MTs. Look under your hood and for a riveted plate on the firewall. There should be a transaxle code stamped on there below the VIN. If the transaxle code is RS6F51H you car has HLSD and if the code is RS6F51A it does not. IMO this is the easiest and most accurate way to tell.

Alternatively, you could just call Nissan USA with your VIN and they will tell you what options it came with from the factory.

Jacking the car up and spinning the wheels is NOT a way to tell nor is dumping the clutch and looking at your burnout. The HLSD is only active when there is torque applied to the ring gear so you're not going to find anything if you raise the front and spin the wheels. As for burnouts, it can be an indicator, but more often than not there are too many other factors involved for the test to be accurate all the time; road surface characteristics and how your tires react with that particular surface are two big factors.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The 2005 FSM implies that it was an option on 6MTs. Look under your hood and for a riveted plate on the firewall. There should be a transaxle code stamped on there below the VIN. If the transaxle code is RS6F51H you car has HLSD and if the code is RS6F51A it does not. IMO this is the easiest and most accurate way to tell.

Alternatively, you could just call Nissan USA with your VIN and they will tell you what options it came with from the factory.

Jacking the car up and spinning the wheels is NOT a way to tell nor is dumping the clutch and looking at your burnout. The HLSD is only active when there is torque applied to the ring gear so you're not going to find anything if you raise the front and spin the wheels. As for burnouts, it can be an indicator, but more often than not there are too many other factors involved for the test to be accurate all the time; road surface characteristics and how your tires react with that particular surface are two big factors.
NICE!, k so if my car doesnt have it, how do I go about getting it? Can I just ask the dealership to install it? Or should i go to like a tranny shop like MR. Transmission?
Kam
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
NICE!, k so if my car doesnt have it, how do I go about getting it? Can I just ask the dealership to install it? Or should i go to like a tranny shop like MR. Transmission?
Kam
A few 6MT 5.5 Gens have gotten the OEM HLSD and installed it themselves, not sure if that's something a dealer will do but it'll depend on the dealer. Give Dave B a call and see if he can tell you how much they run so that you can at least compare it with dealership prices, as far as parts go.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=85
Old 10-30-2006, 07:25 AM
MDS

Puppetmaster, very impressive. My firewall had no plates that I saw. But when I opened my front door, I found a sticker located at the bottom of the driver's side B pillar. That sticker contained a transmission code. Mine is RS5F51A. The letter A at the end seems to confirm that my car does not have the Helical Limited Slip. That makes sense because I know my window sticker does not show an HLSD as an option.

So what was the benefit of an HLSD if non-HLSD cars still get power to both drive wheels? Maybe there was a reason Nissan cancelled the option.

And Puppetmaster, if you don't mind me asking, why are you a Newbie with 11,833 posts?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by MDS
Puppetmaster, very impressive. My firewall had no plates that I saw. But when I opened my front door, I found a sticker located at the bottom of the driver's side B pillar. That sticker contained a transmission code. Mine is RS5F51A. The letter A at the end seems to confirm that my car does not have the Helical Limited Slip. That makes sense because I know my window sticker does not show an HLSD as an option.

So what was the benefit of an HLSD if non-HLSD cars still get power to both drive wheels? Maybe there was a reason Nissan cancelled the option.

And Puppetmaster, if you don't mind me asking, why are you a Newbie with 11,833 posts?
Well, the firewall plate was for the 4th through 5.5 Gens, I guess for the 6th Gens you might not have the plate on the firewall, so the b-pillar is the place to look then.

The HLSD works just like any other HLSD when the car is in gear and in motion; power is transferred to the wheel with the most traction when one wheel starts slipping. It works perfectly well, especially on wet/frozen surfaces. Its just that the "typical" tests like spinning the wheels with the car jacked up aren't telling on this particular unit. Is it a fact that Nissan did away with the option or are you just speculating?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by MDS
I'm a post-*****, so they're punishing me...
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Is it a fact that Nissan did away with the option or are you just speculating?

Yes noob it is fact that they did away with the HLSD option sometime during the 05 model year.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 AM
MDS

Puppetmaster, LOL. You asked if it is a fact that Nissan did away with the option. I’m pretty sure the option was dropped in 2005. I say that because when I bought my 2005, I specifically asked for the HLSD. At one point, I was willing to factory order my car to get it just it the way I wanted. I asked three dealers if I could order a Max with the option or if they could locate one with the option. Every dealer said it was not offered on the 2005s. When I checked nissanusa.com, the limited slip was not listed an option for the 2005 Maxima. In addition, Edmunds.com did not list the HLSD as an option. Based on that info, I'm pretty sure it was dropped.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MDS
Based on that info, I'm pretty sure it was dropped.
Yeah, I just spoke to Glude as well, and he said the same thing. Its just interesting that they left a whole section on the HLSD MT in the 2005 FSM, because the FSMs are usually very precisely updated. I guess only early production 05s had it. Either that or I have an old version of the manual.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Yes noob it is fact that they did away with the HLSD option sometime during the 05 model year.
Well, since I have you to do all my research, I knew I wouldn't have to look it up.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by MDS

Where specifically is driver side B pillar? I'm very interested to see if I have hlsd on my 04.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 PM

anybody been to nissanusa.com and noticed that they arent offering a 6sp in the '07. What a drag.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by 2k1AEMaxRider
anybody been to nissanusa.com and noticed that they arent offering a 6sp in the '07. What a drag.
Welcome to last year.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Welcome to last year.
lol
Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 PM

I, too am learning about this HLSD thing. I have a 2005 Max SL, and my code indicated I do not have it as well. What are the pros and cons to not having it, and what is it that I have in place of it? What are the pros and cons of that?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
MDS

Outlawd, my sticker is on the bottom of the my B pillar, just below the bottom door hinge for the rear door. The sticker is white and is about 3.5 inches long and 2 inches high. It has a lot of writing on it, and a bar code at the very bottom. On the top, the sticker reads Made by Nissan Motors. On the bottom portion of that sticker, it will state trans code. Below that is your number.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I, too am learning about this HLSD thing. I have a 2005 Max SL, and my code indicated I do not have it as well. What are the pros and cons to not having it, and what is it that I have in place of it? What are the pros and cons of that?
jeez! another "girl question" jkjkjk

LSD=mainly both wheels spin, weather its straight or out of a turn. pros are you get all the power to the ground, and cons...

What most of us have....non-lsd...if you punch it out of a turn then only ONE wheel will spin and other will grab. cons-less traction, pros-less stress on trans and others?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM
MDS

!PrjctMax! is right again. I just did some reading online about LSDs. It is my understanding that a limited slip differential provides a benefit in turns. If you were to floor your car in a tight corner, the inside wheel would spin. (It travels a shorter distance than the outside wheel.) While that inside wheel spins, the only wheel that provides power is the outside wheel. With a limited slip, the power gets split and the inside wheel won’t spin. As a result, you can get more power to the ground and exit the turn faster. If you’re into autocross and really push the car hard in turns, you may sense a difference.

LSDs are also supposed to give a car better traction off the line because it delivers power to both wheels equally. In the old days, only one wheel got power. That hurt performance cars or off road vehicles because they needed all the traction they could get. And two power wheels were better than one. Oddly, it seems that our cars get power to both wheels when in a straight line. I say that because my car lays two strips of rubber when I floor it, not one strip, like is usually associated with an open differential. I don’t believe a lack of an LSD hurts our car’s straight line acceleration. But hard, full power turns may be a different story.

The downside is reliability. All limited slips involve more moving parts. Some use mechanical locks. Some use clutches. Others use viscous couplings. They can break and they can also reduce power from reaching the wheels. Viscous couplings are known to be inefficient. Others also add internal resistance. They may actually slow the car.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:43 PM

Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by MDS
If you were to floor your car in a tight corner, the inside wheel would spin. (It travels a shorter distance than the outside wheel.) While that inside wheel spins, the only wheel that provides power is the outside wheel. With a limited slip, the power gets split and the inside wheel won’t spin.
Just to clarify, because your use of the word "split" may be misleading, when you accelerate out of a corner with a LSD equipped car, the inside wheel doesn't "spin" or slip because power is diverted/transferred away from that wheel to the wheel with the most traction (outside wheel).

And while limited slip does help distribute power between the front wheels in straight line acceleration, a lot of the more experienced 1/4 mile guys here will tell you that it doesn't do much for their times.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
.org extraordinaire

Just to clarify, because your use of the word "split" may be misleading, when you accelerate out of a corner with a LSD equipped car, the inside wheel doesn't "spin" or slip because power is diverted/transferred away from that wheel to the wheel with the most traction (outside wheel).

And while limited slip does help distribute power between the front wheels in straight line acceleration, a lot of the more experienced 1/4 mile guys here will tell you that it doesn't do much for their times.
Well I called DaveB at that number you gave me, great guy, fast response. He called me back within a few hours, the LSD tranny module for the 2004-2006 6sp maxima is $467US plus shipping.

Now my local tranny shop want 5h labour for re&re $350 total install.

Is this something worth investing in, or should I wait until I have more power goodies on my car?

TAZ- where is your super duper faantaaasticaaaal POOOOST??

Kamski
Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
jeez! another "girl question" jkjkjk

LSD=mainly both wheels spin, weather its straight or out of a turn. pros are you get all the power to the ground, and cons...

What most of us have....non-lsd...if you punch it out of a turn then only ONE wheel will spin and other will grab. cons-less traction, pros-less stress on trans and others?
Listen PrjctMax,

I think I'm going to have to hurt you!!! (Well, I'm thinking about it anyway)!

ha ha ha ha ha, and yes, with the 'girl questions', I just can't help myself! Afterall, I'm a ..........GIRL!!!!

(Psst, thanks Sweetie)!

Thank you as well PuppetMaster and MDS. I have a pretty good understanding of the workings of an engine, but less of suspension....or transaxle goodies.....LSD.

So do we have LSD in place of HLSD? (Again, go easy here, a girl, remember?) PrjctMax has agreed to take any and all flaming directed at me, in the form of a ban if necessary!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:30 AM

Well I called DaveB at that number you gave me, great guy, fast response. He called me back within a few hours, the LSD tranny module for the 2004-2006 6sp maxima is $467US plus shipping.

Now my local tranny shop want 5h labour for re&re $350 total install.

Is this something worth investing in, or should I wait until I have more power goodies on my car?
If you auto-x, road race, or just enjoy the driving experience in general, IMO, it is a good addition. If money isn't an issue, I say go for it. Another option is to look for wrecked Maximas where you could probably get the HLSD cheaper. You could also see if there are any .Orgers around where you are who could help you install it.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
So do we have LSD in place of HLSD? (Again, go easy here, a girl, remember?) PrjctMax has agreed to take any and all flaming directed at me, in the form of a ban if necessary!
I was just using "LSD" as a general term for all limited slip differentials.

There are different LSDs for Maximas/Infinitis:

VLSD = Viscous Limited Slip Differential (on some earlier generation I30s and AEs)

HLSD = Helical Limited Slip Differential (5.5 Gen onwards)

This is good reading if you need more basic knowledge:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm
Old 10-31-2006, 07:05 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Hey Guys,

I just peeked through the stickes, does the 6th Gen come with a Helical limited-slip differential? The stickies say its an option for the Manual but I'm not sure if mine has one.

Cuase thease guys make them.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/products.htm

And if I dont have one, I would like to get one installed.

Thanks,

Kam
That's not a HLSD. It's more like a clutch-type LSD.