6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Messed up tint job

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM

Messed up tint job

Just got my Max tinted, 20% tint all around except the windshield..

looks great, except for one huge thing..

When I went to pick it up, I noticed they cut out a spot for the rear brake light (the tint I'm talking about), and it doesn't look good at all on the back. Is this normal...

I live in NJ and the law for NJ is no front tint, but the rear windows & rear window is as dark as you want..and if that is the case why did they cut that piece out on me?

I am very disappointed.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't know if it's the same for the '04s but on my 06 the rear brake light can be taken off (at least to the length of the wires) in order to clean the rear window.
They probably didn't realize that it can be removed. I've seen that happen on a few cars where that light was fixed to the rear deck....like on a tsx.

I'd get them to redo it. I agree though it looks funky.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

By the way I don't think it has anything to do with the tint laws.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Newbie just Registered

The tint guy removed the light and reinstall it afterward. Law wise, each counyt is different.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Owns way too many maximas

NJ tint law required the 3rd brakelight be cut out. If you take it to state inspection, you will guaranteed if the tint is not cut out around the light.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:43 PM

The guy who did mine removed the rear brake light to put on the tint.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:22 PM

When i got mine tint they ask me how i wanted it and i choose it not to be cut out. i don't know about the legal issue but in my case it was about choice
Old 11-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the best thing to do about that is to remove the 3rd brake light before you go to the shop, it is easy to do.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:46 PM

My tint guy removed my rear brake light and tinted it completely, I am glad he did because I have friends who have tints too and they also have the brake light cut out, and I dont like how it looks. Also, its kind of hard to believe that NJ doesnt have any tint laws and that they can tint their windows as dark as they want...
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
Just got my Max tinted, 20% tint all around except the windshield..

looks great, except for one huge thing..

When I went to pick it up, I noticed they cut out a spot for the rear brake light (the tint I'm talking about), and it doesn't look good at all on the back. Is this normal...

I live in NJ and the law for NJ is no front tint, but the rear windows & rear window is as dark as you want..and if that is the case why did they cut that piece out on me?

I am very disappointed.
This is a simple case of going back there and

"yo fix this siht up mother fukcer, i didnt want you to cut my siht up ****!!!, new tint on the back asap or ill bithc slap you."

or

" kind sir please fix my tint as i didnt want the rear light to be cut up. "

Good Luck either way bro.

Kamski
Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 PM

I think I would kinda like not having my 3rd brake light tinted just so that it's more visible to people driving behind me.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 PM

I'm no legal expert, but I would be willing to bet there are federal regulations making the reduction of brightness of any brake light illegal. That would make pefect sense.

Government regulations are very strict as to how much and what kind of lighting is required at all points on a vehicle. Manufacturers are very careful to meet these requirements.

If I rear-ended a braking vehicle at night, and saw the high-mounted brake light of the vehicle I hit had tint reducing its effectiveness, I would be looking for a good lawyer.

When you do anything to reduce the effectiveness of any safety device just for 'looks', you not only are putting appearance above safety, you are risking legal action and possible liability if something bad happens.

I don't mean to be a 'wet blanket', but I don't want to lose ORG posters because of unnecessary accidents, either.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 AM
GrandPa

I don't see anything here stating that the tint has to be cut out because of the 3rd brake light. I would take it back t the shop and have them redo it.

New Jersey Window Tint Law
New Jersey Tint Law Enacted: 2000
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW JERSEY RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

You can go here to check out tint laws for your state. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Old 11-14-2006, 10:17 AM

what about the dot matrix at the top

Is there a way for the tint to lay nicely over the dot matrix on the top rear window as I have had mine done twice and there is nothing they can do. Some cars lay down smooth and others dont. Did anyone just get the vinyl blackout on top or do they have some air caught between the dots on top. Let me know some soultions if any.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the black vinyl on my RSX-S, and it looked fine. You couln't tell there was anything there from the outside. From the inside there was just black strip there...no biggie. On my Max i just opted not to tint over the matrix and you can hardly tell there's no tint over it. I agree though it doesn't look right if the tint doesn't adhere correctly over the dot matrix.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I don't see anything here stating that the tint has to be cut out because of the 3rd brake light. I would take it back t the shop and have them redo it.

New Jersey Window Tint Law
New Jersey Tint Law Enacted: 2000
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW JERSEY RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

You can go here to check out tint laws for your state. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Thank you. I am taking it back tomorrow. I specifically said 20% tint all around in graphite black....I did NOT say cutout for 3rd brake light.

Plus NJ allows rear windows to be as dark as possible, and not allowed on front. Thank you ram.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:19 PM

You just need to get a good installer to get the tint to adhere to the dot-matrix. I don't know how it's done but, I just came back from sema and some of the cars had the dot-matrix fully covered.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Thank you. I am taking it back tomorrow. I specifically said 20% tint all around in graphite black....I did NOT say cutout for 3rd brake light.

Plus NJ allows rear windows to be as dark as possible, and not allowed on front. Thank you ram.
what place did u go to
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 PM

Illusions on route 10, east hanover nj
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
This is a simple case of going back there and

"yo fix this siht up mother fukcer, i didnt want you to cut my siht up ****!!!, new tint on the back asap or ill bithc slap you."

or

" kind sir please fix my tint as i didnt want the rear light to be cut up. "
Learn and apply, learn and apply.

Me and my bro have our tints done all the way. It would look like **** and yours probably looks like that if the light is cut out. I wouldn't worry about the law as most tints are illegal anyhow.

Its like, I am gonna rob the bank and then not speed when driving away.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by rabenoja
You just need to get a good installer to get the tint to adhere to the dot-matrix. I don't know how it's done but, I just came back from sema and some of the cars had the dot-matrix fully covered.
It depends on the installer. Anyone of them can do it if you GREA$$$E their hands. Them ***** are just plain lazy. It takes some time and patience with a blow torch to get it properly done. I see cars done at where I tinted mine and noticed the quality is proportionate to the fortune of the owner.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM

i got mine done at totowa audio i guess it was the avg. price $200.... all 5 windows... got 35 on the front 4... and 20 on the rear... i'd like to change it after inspection likely, prob. go 20 on the front 4 and 5 or 0% on the rear window...

does anyone have hookups to past inspection? or does everyone just take there tints off the front 2 windows?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Owns way too many maximas

He did you a favor as come inspection time, you arent going to pass.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:55 PM

Alright, I talked to my tinter today and he told me that he can get the tint to really adhere to the dot-matrix. The only thing is that it adds about 1.5 hours to the job....so, like someone already said you pay to play. If the dot-matrix thing really annoys you, you can just pay a little extra and it can be done.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Hell no, for all Max's including my old '99 you can simply pop off the brake light by pushing down on it and sliding it out, then disconnect the wires. I would have them re-tint it. they should know better than that, that's just them being lazy.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 PM

So whats the outcome, most tint places talk the talk but suddenly they have to fix a problem and that so called lifetime replacement warranty is gone.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Any updates?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:42 PM

rear light

I believe the rear lights can be removed. Are they aware of it?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:33 PM

i think they do this more for the fact that the break light reflects off the tint in some cars. my buddy has a TL and they tinted over the 3rd light and when backing up you cant see **** the whole rear window turns red with the break light.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:40 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by ttk53
i think they do this more for the fact that the break light reflects off the tint in some cars. my buddy has a TL and they tinted over the 3rd light and when backing up you cant see **** the whole rear window turns red with the break light.
Yeah, OK. tell your friend to get a MAX and tint his rear window and he won't have that problem. I promise.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Yeah, OK. tell your friend to get a MAX and tint his rear window and he won't have that problem. I promise.

That's what you get when you don't buy a Nissan....
Old 12-26-2006, 03:30 PM

hmm, they didn't remove mine to tint my rear window. my rear tint is one complete piece. i guess it depends on the tinter and local rules?

no issues with the light reflecting back what-so-ever.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM

i had mine done did 35 on the rear windows and slightly lighter on the front windows , they did a killer job on i love the way it came out
Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by rottdog300
i had mine done did 35 on the rear windows and slightly lighter on the front windows , they did a killer job on i love the way it came out
Same exact setup here on a silver max. Any darker than that it it becomes overwhelming (top heavy) on a light car.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 PM

the guy who did mine did nothing close to a killer job, now Im nervous/ paranoided about having to get it redone, will the tint just come off as some have told me or will it stick and they will have to use steel wool.

It just pisses me off that I looked at so many cars (TL, 5th&6th Gen Maximas, 350Z and Gcoupes) and they are perfect and yet the guy messed up my tint, I've seen so many cars that have perfect tint jobs, as if the glass and tint are 1 but yet mine looks so obvious.

What I would do if I did not care about my criminal record
Old 12-29-2006, 06:55 PM

well if your willing to travel i can give you the name of a great place they have 2 shops one in highland,ny and one in poughkeepsie
Old 12-29-2006, 08:13 PM

If I do anything it will be in the spring summer
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM

ok well let me know , this place does a great job , and with tax it cost me 190 for 2 fronts 2 back , 2 little windows on the back doors and the rear windo
Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 PM

ok well let me know , this place does a great job , and with tax it cost me 190 for 2 fronts 2 back , 2 little windows on the back doors and the rear windo
thanks for the offer, I have this thread stored in my favorites and my gmail inbox for when the time comes
Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 PM

no prob man just trying to help a fellow max owner