6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dead battery...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dead battery...

Well, during my thanksgiving trip out of state last week, my original OEM battery decided to die after nearly 39 months and almost 43K miles. Luckily when it died I was in the Wal Mart parking lot and I just had to go buy a battery and then put it in. The interesting thing about the failure was that the battery was perfectly fine until I went to start the car after shopping - and then the lights were very dim, the wheel moved downward very, very slowly, and the engine didn't turn over at all. I had thought that batteries usually die slowly and generally not all at once. I had noticed that it was getting a little weaker over the last couple of months (it might take 1 full second to start instead of 0.5 seconds), but thought that I had a little more time before I needed to change it. I was going to get one of the Optima series, but instead had to opt for a Wal-Mart battery (which is just fine).

At first I thought my alternator had died and that's why the battery was completely discharged since when I turned the key I only got the "battery" and "break" lights, but I think that was just a fluke as there really wasn't enough voltage to even keep the display going consistantly. So, the next morning I had the alternator checked and everything was just fine...

Anyway, how long have you guys kept the OEM battery? Anyone had any sudden failures like this?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 PM

THe exact same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Had my car for 39 months as well. No indication at all before that that the battery was weak. Happened at the gym parking lot, turned the key, only dim lights came on and engine wont turn over. Also, after failing to start the car, my car got stucked in the ignition. Waited for AAA for an hour.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:32 AM

My battery died (shorted) suddently at 12K on my 05. Of course it was under warranty but when you are stuck its of no help. I had to buy from nearby garage.

Lots of aftermarket 27F batteries are heavy (38+ lbs), with low cranking amps and reserve. 26R are smaller/lighter and many have the same CCA as the 27F OEM size (if you want to save weight). Optima is a very good battery but other comparable gel cell exist and for a better price.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 AM

My OEM battery died suddenly at around 32 months. It was raining and had to call a tow truck. I went with the optima red top.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 AM

My OEM battery died at about 22 months (30,000 miles). Luckily it was at my home, and I just ran to the autoparts store and bought a new one.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 AM

this thread make me want to switch my battery out before it cr@ps out
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Cool Member

Mine died about 28K, I replaced it with Optima Red Top battery.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Me too, I'm at 28,4xx and I am thinking.....'going into winter.....etc....kids, groceries......' I'm with you, It's about time!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I had the stealer change mine after my mechanic told me to do it cause the terminals were "sweating". Yes, there was like small leak around the terminals and they were getting all salty and moist. Since it was after 12K miles, I had to pay like a percentage of new one. New one is guaranteed for 7 years. We'll see.

SO, if you are getting the same thing and have less then 12K visit your dealer immediatelly as this is the sign that the battery will die sooner than later.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Cool Member

I thought mine died because I had a portable GPS and PAC Ipod connector. Do you guys have a lot of things in your car?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by kidd4l
I thought mine died because I had a portable GPS and PAC Ipod connector. Do you guys have a lot of things in your car?
No, mine is completely stock.

Kind of odd to see others have the same failure, and some very early.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

From my experience, Nissan batteries last about 3 years; unless defective. But it's interesting that it didn't give you any warning.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

LOL, didn't feel like waiting for the OEM battery to die, so I installed a Optima Red Top. The battery has worked flawlessly for the last 20 months...

Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by chernmax
LOL, didn't feel like waiting for the OEM battery to die, so I installed a Optima Red Top. The battery has worked flawlessly for the last 20 months...

NOW, Thats a lot of cupper. Nice terminals
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 PM

I think you can goto some autopart stores and have them give a free battery test. You can then can buy a new one and have them swap for free and return/credit the old core on the spot. I went to Firestone today and they gave me a check. It shows my battery is weak (2.5yrs and 44Kmiles). But $82 for an Interstate battery is a ripoff. So I would wait for a sale at Autozone. They may have an ACDelco 85 months for $55.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:33 AM

Most OEM batteries last around 36 months, Then i buy a larger capacity one that usually lasts 5 to 6 years. I change them out before winter so i dont get stuck doing it in the cold. And since i don't race i get the largest one that will fit if its the same price.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:00 PM

Costco sells Kirkland (house brand) batteries that are said by some to be comparable to the Sears Sliver Diehards. They are considerably less expensive and have a 36 month free replacement and 100 month prorated warranty. I would think this would be very satisfactory for most of us.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 PM

where do you get the optimum red top battery and how do you dispose of the old battery, I searched and autozone has them but which 1 the 800cca or the 720cca, I'd probably spend the extra 10 bucks for the 800 since the battery is already practically 200 bucks
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM

You can get the Optimas at Autozone or Advanced Auto in most places. If you get the battery at either place they will take your old battery and have it recycled for about $5 if memory serves.

Speaking of Optima batteries, what is the difference between the red top and the yellow top?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 PM

I've had my Max with OEM battery for 3-1/2 years and 52 K miles with no problems. They don't last forever and in the past most of my battery failures have occurred in the summer and not the winter. I suspect I will replace mine before I go on my long summer trip next July (4 years 2 months).

Those who had early battery failures did not indicate in their post the type of driving they normally do. Frequent short trips and parking outside at home (particularly in the winter) are much harder on a battery than highway driving and inside parking at home (which is the style of most of my driving). Also, running many accessories when driving in town is hard on the battery.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I've had my Max with OEM battery for 3-1/2 years and 52 K miles with no problems. They don't last forever and in the past most of my battery failures have occurred in the summer and not the winter. I suspect I will replace mine before I go on my long summer trip next July (4 years 2 months).

Those who had early battery failures did not indicate in their post the type of driving they normally do. Frequent short trips and parking outside at home (particularly in the winter) are much harder on a battery than highway driving and inside parking at home (which is the style of most of my driving). Also, running many accessories when driving in town is hard on the battery.
Good point. I use my car everyday to drive to from/work, which is only a few miles away. So yeah, I'd say that on a per mile basis, my battery has probably worked harder than others'.

EDIT: My car is nearly always kept in the garage overnight... the door might not always get closed, but it is inside.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:20 PM

My wife's 2002 Toyota Corolla's battery lasted 5 years! And she has power steering, power brakes, a powerful stereo (Pioneer), air conditioning. And guess what else? We live in Montreal where the average winter temperature in January and February is so cold that you won't even see the mercury on a thermometer leave the bulb! That's testament to Toyota quality even on an inexpesive car like the Corolla. In fact other than regular maintenance, we have had fewer issues after 4 years than I have had in my 05 Maxima in 2 years! I have had to replace the front right shock no less than 4 times and have had fit and finish issues etc. Never mind that the dealer bought back my 2004 Maxima cause it was in the shop every two weeks and had to have it's tranny changed after only 15k KMs not miles! The car is solid and quiet....and you know what the funniest part of all this is? Not the incredible gas mileage...not the fantastic reliability, no ...we paid $15,000 Canadian when the US was at 35%! Whereas my 05 Maxima was $33,000 Can not including the tax! And the best part? The Corolla is much quieter over the rough Montreal roads than the Max...alas I love my Max and she is so much fun to drive....Slammed & Grilled!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:06 AM

My '89 Corolla crapped the Alternator @37Kmiles (just right after the warranty). And at 56K, it just mysteriously died and took the dealer a week to find a short in the wiring. Generally, it was quiet and smooth like you said. But maybe it was too uninspiring that I didnot care to notice. It's the emotional part that you buy with a car. Not too many Toyotas have that. Corolla: $15000CAN...Feeling attatched to your carriceless.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM

That's what I'm talking about, Eh!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Dead battery...

I still have the same battery, however it is getting old. But thanks for the info. I might just get a new one this week before heading out of town.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 PM

WOW i just went to gas station i full my tank gueessssss what???My BATTERY die damn lucky i was closed from my house ..i just got home now the question is if i get the optima red top which should i get the 800cca or the 720cca please help i goin tomorrow to get one and i need your opinon thx you
Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM

My battery still going on my 2000 max, after 60k, and 6 years!1! WOW!

I'm replacing it this winter before it dies. (it's starting to crank a little bit harder).
Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

some of you people on here are alarmists...ive had mine for 67,000 miles and it never misses a beat in buffalo winters.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:45 AM

optima red top which should i get the 800cca or the 720cca
Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by SEGirl
optima red top which should i get the 800cca or the 720cca
Sorry I don't remember what I got. I bought mine from Sears and they only have one type of Optima Red Top. They also give discount if you gave them your dead battery.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 PM

well finally I GOT OPTIME RED TOP 720 cca because 800 positive cable won't fix to short
Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 PM

My battery finally crapped out after 32 months and 56K miles. It gave me no warning whatsoever. I want to go with a very small battery. Here in so cal, we dont have harsh winters so I wonder if a really tiny battery would be harmful, or if it would not last as long.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 AM

How small? The odyssey PC925T is 23 lbs.

You may need something to raise the height (I cut 1/2" off the box), maybe styrofoam for the sides.

Check out 26R, 26R-5N. Volume wise is almost 50% smaller, fits in the existing enclosure, about 10 lbs lighter, and closest to OEM specs.

Or 51R, 45, 75 (width?). I picked 26R-5N because it has OEM cranking amps. The reserve is 80 minutes vs 110 recommended but I don't have an aftermarket sound system that could drain the battery.

Got it at Walmart. Best cheap battery according to Consumer reports.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
Costco sells Kirkland (house brand) batteries that are said by some to be comparable to the Sears Sliver Diehards. They are considerably less expensive and have a 36 month free replacement and 100 month prorated warranty. I would think this would be very satisfactory for most of us.
I went to my CostCo last week. It would be $55 for their highest CCA model.
Its pretty much hit or miss on if they stock the 24F size battery that we need for the Maxima. Mine did not carry 24F and I went to Customer Service to find out they don't special order batteries. As mentioned before, I got the Batteries Plus battery for the best price. I did end up getting a battery for my Murano at CostCo though, which was a great deal...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

well finally I GOT OPTIME RED TOP 720 cca because 800 positive cable won't fix to short
I made a jumper so it would reach...

Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM

can you post a picture of your 720, to compared to Cherns 800
Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I had the stealer change mine after my mechanic told me to do it cause the terminals were "sweating". Yes, there was like small leak around the terminals and they were getting all salty and moist. Since it was after 12K miles, I had to pay like a percentage of new one. New one is guaranteed for 7 years. We'll see.

SO, if you are getting the same thing and have less then 12K visit your dealer immediatelly as this is the sign that the battery will die sooner than later.
Well, there's gotta be a problem with these nissan batteries. I had my original one replaced after about 18 months and now 18 months later this one is also dead, without warning of course. I parked the car, came out in the morning and boom, its DEAD. I went back to nissan and they want me to leave the car but I don't have the time for this BS.

Here are my choices:

1 Get a battery charger/conditioner and charge it overnight

or

2 Get an Optima Red Top.

I do a lot of short trip driving. work-home-store-parent's house-store-work-lunch-work....I don't want to replace the battery every 18 months so maybe the charger and annual charging/conditioning might be the right choice, or is it?

Experts, please chime in.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM

They want you to leave the car because it's likely
you have a slow drain that is killing these batteries.
They want to try and find what the drain is.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Use this opportunity to get a lightweight battery like I did.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Use this opportunity to get a lightweight battery like I did.
Yeah, that was the idea originally but when this sh-t happens when you need to get to work anything flies.

I got a BOSCH battery with 94 months warranty. Its a bit smaller and lighter than NISSAN OEM but has more CCAs. Oh well that was a good as the store offered.

Quick Reply: Dead battery...