6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman needs SoCal 04-06 Maximas for header development

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman needs SoCal 04-06 Maximas for header development

As we wrap up development of our newest 95-03 Maxima header design, its time to begin our 04-06 (and hopefully 07) Maxima header/y-pipe development. This will be an all-stainless part, and the y-pipe will almost certainly include an EPA-approved, 3-stage all-metal cat.

More than one volunteer is needed because we have to look at two and possibly all three transmission types (4- and 5-speed autos, and 6-speed manual) because the 4-speed auto and 6M have one stock y-pipe design, and the 5-speed auto has another. We'll very likely find that two different y-pipes are required.

All vehicle measuring and fitment sessions will take place in Orange County, California, so volunteers should live within reasonable driving distance. I can't say exactly when or how many times we'll need the cars, but the car would never be kept overnight.

Obviously we'd expect to make it worth the volunteer's time by discounting the final product; the discount would be proportional to the level of inconvenience for each volunteer. We might need one person's car for a couple half-day fitment sessions and another just for an hour of measurements, so I can't make a blanket statement right now about discounts.

If interested, or if you have questions, please respond to this thread or give us a call at 520.575.6195, 10-5 MST, M-F. We'd like to get things started in December.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 11-27-2006, 06:02 AM

Please take into consideration and do a lot of testing on the newest Maxima (05-06)wide-band O2 sensors, there is a possible issue that can trigger an MIL due to the placement of the primary A/F sensors on the header. 05 and 06 Altimas have had this problems, and due to the similarity from the Maxima it is possible that it can happen also.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by edjose17
Please take into consideration and do a lot of testing on the newest Maxima (05-06)wide-band O2 sensors, there is a possible issue that can trigger an MIL due to the placement of the primary A/F sensors on the header. 05 and 06 Altimas have had this problems, and due to the similarity from the Maxima it is possible that it can happen also.
, good to see your starting on the 6th gen headers.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Spoke w/ you early today brian, look forward to hearing back from you on this wonderful development!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:33 AM

so wait exactly are planning on doing different from hot shot?

stay in business? lolxz j/k.

just IMO ummm i know its not important just thought i should say it. the o2 sensor re-place-ment can you try to make it look a little more concealed? cause the way the hotshot headers place them and the way i've seen them installed it looks scary as well if the car bottoms out. it looks lik it would crush the O2 sensors. just my 2 cents
Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Sounds like a very useful tip. I wonder how quickly the problem becomes apparent after the installation. It also suggests that we should include an 05/06 among the 2-3 cars we'll be working with. Which headers (brand) had this problem with the Altima?

Brian
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle

just IMO ummm i know its not important just thought i should say it. the o2 sensor re-place-ment can you try to make it look a little more concealed? cause the way the hotshot headers place them and the way i've seen them installed it looks scary as well if the car bottoms out. it looks lik it would crush the O2 sensors. just my 2 cents

I'm not that familiar with the Hotshot design, but we would always strive to avoid placing the O2 sensors in a vulnerable position.

If its true that HotShot has ceased doing business it is unfortunate, but I hope it was because he wanted to do something else instead of bad business fortunes. They were in business for a long time, and John Spangler is a stand up guy.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Cool Member

Nice to hear something new is being developed for our Maximas.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cattman
Sounds like a very useful tip. I wonder how quickly the problem becomes apparent after the installation. It also suggests that we should include an 05/06 among the 2-3 cars we'll be working with. Which headers (brand) had this problem with the Altima?

Brian
The MIL light usually takes a week up to a month to light up for the people that have installed them. This occurs with Hotshot headers, currently the only one designed for 05 and 06 which have the EGR bung in them. Similar to the Maxima.
Here is the link to the thread on altimas.net. Kind of long but it gives the idea of the problem. http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...lp-please.html
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I have Hotshot headers, how exectly would you knock off your 02 sensors if you bottom out, theres a whole lot of other **** under our rides that would go first!!!

With my car flat on the ground looking under, you cannot even see any of the sensors... Anyway, just my 3 cents...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The MIL light usually takes a week up to a month to light up for the people that have installed them. This occurs with Hotshot headers, currently the only one designed for 05 and 06 which have the EGR bung in them. Similar to the Maxima.
Here is the link to the thread on altimas.net. Kind of long but it gives the idea of the problem. http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...lp-please.html

Thanks for that. Long thread, but an excellent heads up. I wouldn't try to solve that problem from a distance, but I have a mechanic that would certainly understand those issues and hopefully they can be overcome without requiring a new engine management system.

I've got no idea if it would solve this problem, and maybe it comes up somewhere in the middle of that 20-page altima thread, but they're talking about O2 sensor placement and looking at the pictures, I can say that we wouldn't typically put any of them where they are on the Hotshot set.

Even if the customer is forced to extend sensor wires (ALWAYS solder, NEVER crimp), the primary pair of O2 sensors shouldn't be on the primary exhaust tubes. They need to be on or below the 3-1 collectors so that they're checking the exhaust from all 3 cylinders, not just one. Also, it seems there isn't much point in putting the secondary pair after the car, its a lot easier to just use a simulator.

I will say, in Hotshot's defense, that you expect to run into problems in the course of fitment or initial operation when developing a new part, not after its been running fine on the car for a month. I suspect that few exhaust part developers are thinking in terms of putting it on a car for a month before finalizing the design (and the manufacturing fixture), and committing a whole bunch of $ to a production run.

We like it when we can get out in front with a new product, but in this case, it looks like we'll be fortunate to learn from another company's experience.

Brian
Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brian, No time no see. Can you use my 6 speed for development?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:00 AM
*moderator*

Brain, I have the 2004, 4 speed. I am in just let me know when you need my car!!! Glad you guys are getting on this one!!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Brian, No time no see. Can you use my 6 speed for development?

Absolutely, and thanks very much for offering. I have a 5-speed auto lined up, and but also needed a 6M due to the difference in the stock y-pipe design. I may not still have your contact information, could you send that in a PM or email (bcatts@cattman.com)?

Brian
Old 11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Brain, I have the 2004, 4 speed. I am in just let me know when you need my car!!! Glad you guys are getting on this one!!
We'll get the scheduling figured out when my fabricator is ready to begin this, but its great to know we have all the cars we need for development (one each for the three transmission types). Could you please send your name and contact information via PM or to bcatts@cattman.com?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 11-28-2006, 02:17 PM
*moderator*

Perfect, e-mail sent your way!!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Brian, you think you'd have a group buy on these headers and also the headers/cat-back? I'd be most def interested.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I have Hotshot headers, how exectly would you knock off your 02 sensors if you bottom out, theres a whole lot of other **** under our rides that would go first!!!

With my car flat on the ground looking under, you cannot even see any of the sensors... Anyway, just my 3 cents...
ok...its something that has happened to me before, and recently. the O2 sensor that are out on the side of the pipes, after the cat...i have recently achually gotten a plastic bag and other things cuaght under there in that area (note: don't have headers or y-pipe)...and plus think of maybe snow or bad roads...i don't know about you buh seeing that my car is lowwered and i'm in queeens...people around here know that certain streets are somewhat unavoidable. (IE Union St. & Northern Blvd. by Flushing High School; Starbucks parking lot on Main St.)

its just that it looks like its in a very exposed area thats why. just looking at it really scares me. and if something accidently gets snagged on the wires look like it would pull it right off.

thats why i was thinking if brian could take into consideration that idea. like the hotshots basically have the O2 ports horizontal and striaght out...i was imaging that it could be placed more angled and ports moved more toward the body of the car making them a bit more concealled. thats all. meant no offense by the comment.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 PM

I definately am worried about ground clearance when I get headers since im on coilovers.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
I definately am worried about ground clearance when I get headers since im on coilovers.
well yeah i would be very much so too. buh i think me and chris are on simliar suspension set-ups. Progress Springs, Gr-2 struts, and AGX shocks.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:22 PM

My email is sent too!! Looking forward to working with you again.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:33 AM

good luck you guys bring back some good news. happy developing.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 AM

Cattman:

If the issue of the SES light is resolved by the placement of the primary O2 bungs on the collector after the 3 pipes (when testing is done on an 05 or 06 max) I think you will have also the Altima community market for you. You could try to explore that possibility.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:07 PM

If history repeats itself, this header will be really really high quality and well-designed for a great flow. Looking forward to the development of this header.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 PM

hey this might be a really stupid question however...

is it at all possible for this mod to be SES light protected? meaning is it something that WILL NOT set off the SES light? basically like a exhaust mod or a CAI mod. good gain without the issue of SES light and not being able to get Safty Inspection...lolxz
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

hey this might be a really stupid question however...

is it at all possible for this mod to be SES light protected? meaning is it something that WILL NOT set off the SES light? basically like a exhaust mod or a CAI mod. good gain without the issue of SES light and not being able to get Safty Inspection...lolxz

I can see that the primary O2 ports on not in the best location on the HotShots, and we would position them differently. Whether or not that will solve the SES issue will be determined in the R&D process.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 12-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Cattman:

If the issue of the SES light is resolved by the placement of the primary O2 bungs on the collector after the 3 pipes (when testing is done on an 05 or 06 max) I think you will have also the Altima community market for you. You could try to explore that possibility.
Brian, I'd second this possibility if you have any interest what-so-ever. I've got an 05 Altima SE-R and would love to see a set of headers, y-pipe, and catback for the Altima community from Cattman. Since both the Max and the Alty are built on the same platform with transverse mounted V6's, at least they are somewhat similar in that respect.

If you'd consider adding an Alty into the mix for your header project, I'm 99% sure we can offer up an 05+ SE/SE-R in the Orange County Cali area for you to work on. If this is the case, let me know and I'll create a post over on nissanclub.com or better yet, you can create one yourself!

What do you think? If I lived in Cali I'd do it myself, but I'm 3000 miles away from your mechanic unfortunately.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by cjbaldw
Brian, I'd second this possibility if you have any interest what-so-ever. I've got an 05 Altima SE-R and would love to see a set of headers, y-pipe, and catback for the Altima community from Cattman. Since both the Max and the Alty are built on the same platform with transverse mounted V6's, at least they are somewhat similar in that respect.

If you'd consider adding an Alty into the mix for your header project, I'm 99% sure we can offer up an 05+ SE/SE-R in the Orange County Cali area for you to work on. If this is the case, let me know and I'll create a post over on nissanclub.com or better yet, you can create one yourself!

What do you think? If I lived in Cali I'd do it myself, but I'm 3000 miles away from your mechanic unfortunately.

I think that's an excellent idea, I'm sending a PM.

BCC

Ooops, the org won't let me send you a PM, so I sent an email.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 AM

04 Maxima SL interested...live in San Diego
Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 AM

I have an 06 Altima 3.5 and would definately be interested in a set of headers that do not trigger cel's. Likewise, the Altima community is very interested in a set of good headers as well.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
*moderator*

Come on Altima guys, quit invading our territory!!! You guys have plenty of mods out there!!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 AM

There really isn't much out there for the altima's either. Headers that don't give cel's (on the 05-06) would be a nice mod. Considering the similarities between our cars (altimas and maxima's) we would all gain by working together and showing vendors like catmann that it is worthwhile to invest
r&d into performance mods.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 PM
*moderator*

No worries, just giving you crap. I had to, you drive an Altima!!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 PM

No hard feelings, i am a former maxima owner myself. I was actually in the market for an 04-05 max, but happened to get a deal on a new altima that i just couldn't pass up.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Not for rookies!!

Any update?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by UnMaTcHeD
Any update?

We've got prototyping vehicles lined up in SoCal, I'm waiting for my exhaust expert to be ready. We're finally getting the 95-03 headers out the door, so he'll want to start the 04+ header project soon.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 PM

oh maann, i can't wait. i'll have my money ready
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

So who's going to go out, buy a wideband O2 sensor & an AFC or any other piggyback than can control fuel, and finally tune using an upstream o2 sensor bung while waiting for the headers?

This way, you'll be ready for them.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
So who's going to go out, buy a wideband O2 sensor & an AFC or any other piggyback than can control fuel, and finally tune using an upstream o2 sensor bung while waiting for the headers?

This way, you'll be ready for them.
I would if I knew more about tuning using piggyback controls. Doesnt the ECU reflash from TS tune the car the way it should be tuned?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 PM
*moderator*

Yes, this is all new to me as well!!!

Quick Reply: Cattman needs SoCal 04-06 Maximas for header development