6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM

New struts

I am thinking about getting the KYB struts for my 04 SL, are they any good? My front struts are blown again, this is the second set and since I have to pay I want something else. The OEM struts suck, I shouldn't have to pay for this but since I have 53K on the odo its on me. I was also thinking about some drop springs to get rid of the 4X4 look up front. Any suggestions, i don't want coilovers since this is my daily driver.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Do a drop on progress springs, swap the struts/shocks with KYBs, change your RSB with Progress and add Racingline Endlinks.

Hope I was clear.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:33 PM

+1 on xoomer! I have that whole set-up + Falken FK-452 tires
And I did what you did and bought OEM struts and drove on those for a few thousand and then decided to go KYB, so I still have my pretty much brand new struts if you'd like those which were about 250ish...
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Yep, while you're at it upgrade your rubber too. I have the BFGoodrich G-Force and the ride is awesome. Upgrading the suspension is one thing, but if your tires keep sliding, you can't really push the envelope.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Get the KYBs here for $55each, free S/H and maybe no tax.
I just got the KYB installed. They're a bit tighter than the OEMs but not by much. Also you need an alignment afterward. I didnot think I needed one, but my car was pulling to the right after the KYBs and my steering wheel was off to the left to go straight. Firestone store did the alignment (they have the laser equipment, very cool and quick and precise) for $69 (whole car) or $169 lifetime.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...=203&year=2004
Old 12-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The ride is firmer and the choppy pavement hits harder, but it's still smoother than an SE-R, Murano, FX, or Z car.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:10 PM

Maybe it's due to a lighter wallet, but the car feels much better after the alighment. A lot of stuffs going on under the car before which I felt thru my bottom and the steering wheel. Most of them seems to go away. At first, I thought the KYB was a bit too rough comparing to the OEMs. The difference isn't that much after the alignment.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM

I like the Koni adjustable setup , but havent gotten arpound to buying it. I heard a lot of good things about it. I have the KYB adjutables in back and love them. I can dial in that oversteer when I want it!!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:31 AM

One thing that I don't like about the OEM is the rebound effect.
How stiff is KYB compared to the non-adjustable Tokico?
I have Tokico on my 4th gen and it can be a harsh ride when
driving around city roads. But it handles like a charm.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
+1 on xoomer! I have that whole set-up + Falken FK-452 tires
And I did what you did and bought OEM struts and drove on those for a few thousand and then decided to go KYB, so I still have my pretty much brand new struts if you'd like those which were about 250ish...
I think I will go with the KYB setup, the OEM struts don't last long. Does anyone have any instruction on how-to change the struts/shocks. I have done this before on my Jetta turbo but if there is something unique about the maxima I would like to know like torque specs.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
Just got the KYB installed today. The noise is gone for good. The front is quite a bit tighter and rougher than stock struts. The Shop swore the old strut was fine, no leak and bounce test was good. I asked them to replace anyway (it's my $$$). I found the problem: when I wiggle the shaft, it moves a tiny bit (1/16") that was the source of the clunking noise (I can even hear the noise when wiggle by hands). The left strut's shaft was still solidly tight. I'm not used to the tightness upfront yet. But if I like the new handling, I may replace the rear shock with KYB also. This time I may do the job myself, since there is no coil springs involved.
By the way, I let the shop bought the struts ($20 more than the web) and they gave me lifetime warranty (labor too). KYB already has lifetime but you have to return to an authorized dealer and they have 90days to replace after verifying the failure (what a joke). The shop will give me same day replacement. I hope never to hear about strut issue again, but feel better to have that warranty.
I am getting the same wiggle but from the upper mounting flange/gasket with rubber gasket and bearing that holds the shock absorber/strut assembly in place. They replaced my right front shock and the very same night when the mechanic at the Nissan Stealership took my car out to road test it right after replacing the flange/gasket minus the bearing, the car still made a clunking sound. They think that they may have a bad batch of Strut/shocks. The noise is coming from the right front and it happens when I drive over a rough patch of pavement like a crack or depression in the road due to a man hole cover. This noise started about one month after I got the new Eibach Pro kit lowering springs. I don't think (and neither does the machanic) that it has anything to do with the spring. He says that although they lover the car there is only a bit more compression on the strut than usual and not enough to make a big difference. We were wonder also, could it be something else thats clunking like the hood or something. When we pressed down on the car with the hood open and our finger on the mounting screw that holds the Strut we could feel a ticking sound. Anyway, the car is going back on Wednesday night for a whole new shock/strut assembly, mounting flange and bearing.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM

OK Guys and Gals, So the stealership replaced the entire assembly again last night and it's all good for now again. They replaced the shock/strut, the top bracket that hold the shock (under the hood) and the bearing.

No more noises and the car is quiet like she should be. Had the winters put on again. Man is it ever bouncy with those winters. The car sits higher as the winters are not low profile. Even though the winters are on 17" steel rims, the car still sits higher by about an inch. All good as I don't want the car to double as a snow plough too. LOL!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
The ride is firmer and the choppy pavement hits harder, but it's still smoother than an SE-R, Murano, FX, or Z car.
Sorry bro but I have an 06 Murano and theres no way the maxima will ever ride as smooth as it does.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Sorry bro but I have an 06 Murano and theres no way the maxima will ever ride as smooth as it does.
you have k-sports though, so why compare it to a stock set-up on an suv?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
you have k-sports though, so why compare it to a stock set-up on an suv?
I wasnt, who said I was comparing it to the ride on Ksports? I drove around for about a year on stock suspension, theres just no comparison.