6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

CE y-pipe: Is it slower with it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Isnt the whole backpressure thing BS anyways? I know ive read MANY times that backpressure has little to do with making or losing power, of course I dunno if it was true or not.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Glude
Isnt the whole backpressure thing BS anyways? I know ive read MANY times that backpressure has little to do with making or losing power, of course I dunno if it was true or not.

not 1 bit i work for nissan, and all the techs all told me the same thing, including the main tech...as well as other mechianics just from shops.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Any exhaust designer will tell you backpressure is bad. Bigger is better to a degree. More restriction creates less power, however if you reach a point where you lose to much velocity and the exhaust cools to much then you can have some problems. Very different from backpressure.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:28 PM

And I know alot of mechanics that I wouldn't trust to torque my lug nuts.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Exhaust gas flow velocity > back pressure, or lack thereof

Originally Posted by logik05se
not 1 bit i work for nissan, and all the techs all told me the same thing, including the main tech...as well as other mechianics just from shops
I respect you and your opinion, but honestly, there is no scientific data here or otherwise to prove your theory. It may also be the use of terminology.

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
And I know alot of mechanics that I wouldn't trust to torque my lug nuts.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Back to the real point, part numbers appear to be the same for 04-06 with the exception of a switch on the front sensor halfway through 06. So some 06 models have one sensor and some have another, I don't think it matters though. It was probably a switch in manufactors.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

I agree, so in short..........

Whatever the matter is, the fact still stands. Tune your a/f as best as you can if you want optimal results with any 'performance' enhancing item.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:56 PM

Here's some tech that give a simple break down of the physics in exhaust.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechAr...ry/theory.html

Backpressure is BAD, the only reason bigger is not better is the cooling of exhaust gases.

So once and for all, BACK PRESSURE IS BAD!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I agree, so in short..........

Whatever the matter is, the fact still stands. Tune your a/f as best as you can if you want optimal results with any 'performance' enhancing item.
I agree, I'll be picking my datalogger within the next few weeks and getting a UTEC by spring.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
I use to think a bit of backpressure was good, but after reading this document, I now think that any backpressure is bad:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Scavenging.pdf
Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Thank you ^^^
Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 AM

i love how everyone disagrees because they want to believe that "modding" there maximas make it faster. Yet my car with an intake, exhuast, and y pipe, vs a bone stock maxima, same exact years, both in tip tronic lettign the car shift itself, i got blown away...more the 1 run, the car was just actually pulling on me, hard. Not like i lost becuase he out launched me or anything....it was just a faster car. And it was the exact same car.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

i love how everyone disagrees because they want to believe that "modding" there maximas make it faster

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Whatever the matter is, the fact still stands. Tune your a/f as best as you can if you want optimal results with any 'performance' enhancing item

Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 PM

i love how everyone disagrees because they want to believe that "modding" there maximas make it faster. Yet my car with an intake, exhuast, and y pipe, vs a bone stock maxima, same exact years, both in tip tronic lettign the car shift itself, i got blown away...more the 1 run, the car was just actually pulling on me, hard. Not like i lost becuase he out launched me or anything....it was just a faster car. And it was the exact same car.
And I love how your so dense you can't read, or is it just your pride because you thought you knew so much. Learn to read, factual information on the physics of exhaust is correct. You have an expert opinion because you work for Nissan (obviously nothing with a technical backround since you quote your mechanics) and the grease monkeys in back agree with you. WOW! Let me know bow down and hear the gosple from your mouth. Should I also believe every person who says oil is oil, or the techs that say you don't have to break in the engine because it has a micro finish.

Oh, and if you where so smart then why don't you realize you can't just swap out components without adjusting the parameters the engine runs on, or did you and your buddies miss that day in school.

I almost forgot, you don't work for Nissan, you work for a dealer. That's like me saying I work for Nissan because I drive one.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
And I love how your so dense you can't read, or is it just your pride because you thought you knew so much. Learn to read, factual information on the physics of exhaust is correct. You have an expert opinion because you work for Nissan (obviously nothing with a technical backround since you quote your mechanics) and the grease monkeys in back agree with you. WOW! Let me know bow down and hear the gosple from your mouth. Should I also believe every person who says oil is oil, or the techs that say you don't have to break in the engine because it has a micro finish.

Oh, and if you where so smart then why don't you realize you can't just swap out components without adjusting the parameters the engine runs on, or did you and your buddies miss that day in school.

I almost forgot, you don't work for Nissan, you work for a dealer. That's like me saying I work for Nissan because I drive one.

your rite buddy....the people i use for the info actually are poeople who have built cars from the ground up...i myself know a little but not as much as them. But regardless i dont really give a **** cuz the maxima in my eyes is a piece of junk thats slow, unpolished, crappy quality, and handles like sht. That is exactly why i got rid of it and have a g35 coupe 6 speed now....boy lemme tell you what a difference between the 2 cars.

;D

BTW read this einstein. http://web.tampabay.rr.com/redroby/3liter/exhaust.html
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM

So less interior space, no trunk, useless in the snow, and NO FASTER means it's better.

I thought it just meant you had a small unit.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 PM

no i still have my maxima for those times like snow and space are a problem...but for everyday driving where i wanna be in a fast car that handles insane, i use my coupe.

wink.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM

Well as you stated that you got rid of it I assumed you where no longer with Maxima.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

Facts always remain, whether you like/hate/dont care for FWD or whatever it is, facts still remain, and here, we are trying to share knowledge/experiences.

But I always question a personal experience because typically, there isn't hard factual data to support some experiences.

The experiences are there, but there could be a reason why some things happen, but shouldn't.. Such as my last post.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:14 PM

I guess we can call this thread closed