6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Transmission fluid

How many people have changed their own transmission fluid and how many have taken it somewhere and how much did you pay? I need to at least get my fluid changed, but my dealer recommended that I get a transmission flush. I was told that I don't necessarily have to have it flushed, but the fluid should be changed along with the filter. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:37 PM

I did a drain and fill a couple months ago. Took 6 quarts. Just as easy as an oil change.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Burny
I did a drain and fill a couple months ago. Took 6 quarts. Just as easy as an oil change.
What did you do to get out 6 quarts ? Did you measure the amount that came out ? I've done a few cars and never gotten 6 quarts (the most was a bit over 4). My '04 only took 3 quarts last time (30K). I will change again in a couple of weeks (45K) and will see. I usually run until the engine warmed up before changing.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM

I was planning on doing this myself too very soon
Old 01-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Hey guy , My friend is a mechanic at Nissan. Well after reading the other thread about the Tranny Problem (5AT) the tud noise. I decide to check my Mechanic Friend out.. He told me you guys should use the Nissan Tranny Fluid because if you use anything else you may have a problem in them.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PRO - 1
Hey guy , My friend is a mechanic at Nissan. Well after reading the other thread about the Tranny Problem (5AT) the tud noise. I decide to check my Mechanic Friend out.. He told me you guys should use the Nissan Tranny Fluid because if you use anything else you may have a problem in them.
That information is like so five minutes ago! It's either Matic-D or Matic-K. Look on your dipstick to find out what's right for your car!

dan
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 AM

My 05" SE just hit 50,000 and I feel I should get it done but I want the flush as well. An automatic tranny is not something you want to replace. I feel the dealer is the best bet here. Has anyone done this? Gone to someone beside a Nissan dealer?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did mine yesterday on my 05 SE 5 A/T. Took a plastic container and marked the level at 1/2/3 quarts. Well, only 3 quarts came out like everyone said on another thread. I did find a little metal dust stuck on magnet inside the plug.

Added 3 quarts of Nissan K-matic. Dipstick shows full (the two small nicks are for cold measurement, the XXXX like area is the range when hot) . The plug is on the driver side in front of the tranny (facing the rad) and requires a large Hex key. I only have 17,000 miles (mainly in city) but oil is cheap. The exhaust really cooks the tranny so I want to play it safe.

Just ordered some header wrap to cover my CE Y-pipe. Hopefully, this will contain a lot of the heat.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:46 PM

all right one of the next items I wanted to talk about. tranny fluid. make sure you use the right fluid and I HIGHLY recommend taking it to the dealer to get done. I have a feeling some of the Indestructable trannies on these cars are able to be destroyed. I think I have a problem with mine. Nissan is very particular with doing warrenty work on trannies so be careful in whatever you do. good luck
Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
all right one of the next items I wanted to talk about. tranny fluid. make sure you use the right fluid and I HIGHLY recommend taking it to the dealer to get done. I have a feeling some of the Indestructable trannies on these cars are able to be destroyed. I think I have a problem with mine. Nissan is very particular with doing warrenty work on trannies so be careful in whatever you do. good luck

It's just like draining the oil in your car.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM

I drove back from a buddies on the interstate which was about 23 miles. As soon as I got home I dropped the plug and got just shy of 6 quarts out of my wifes 2004.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM

So maybe it's good to do it when the motor/trans is warm! Just like with changine oil!

Did you notice any difference in smoothness of shifting or anything?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Did mine last month. I used the Nissan fluid. Every now and then I get that hard shift fron gear to gear. Usually when I'm going slow. "not often" I was hoping they learnd how to make a transmission by now. guess not.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
Dipstick shows full (the two small nicks are for cold measurement, the XXXX like area is the range when hot) .
I ran my car for about 15-20 minutes and when I checked the dipstick it show that it was "full" in the cold area...so is something wrong here?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM

How are some people getting out 6qts of fluid out of their transmission??? Unless you have a transmission flush machine you should only get max 3 1/2 qts out of the transmission drain bolt.
Most of the fluid is stuck in the torque converter and the only way to get that out is with a transmission flush machine that displaces old fluid with new fluid.
I hope the people getting 6 qts out are actually measuring what comes out and not just draining and putting in 6 bottles (6qts) of Matic-D or Matic-K.

Edit: I'm talking about the 4AT or 5AT transmissions.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 PM

what mileage intervals are you guys changing the tranny fluid?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM

I got just under 6qts and they were measured. I did mine at 30k and will do it every 30k. I did not do anything special. Car was on flat surface. Had been run at 60-70MPH for 30 minutes and was draining within 5 minutes of parking.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM

The 4 A/T (in 2004 models) holds 2 more quarts than the 5 A/T. That is probably why they can get 6 quarts out since it holds 9 3/4 quarts.

I am waiting for my Blackstone free kit. For $20, they will analyze my old tranny oil.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Nissan Premium maintenance schedule recommends at 60,000 to change the fluid and optional flush. I will be doing the total flush and fill at 60,000.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Dipstick shows full (the two small nicks are for cold measurement, the XXXX like area is the range when hot) .

I ran my car for about 15-20 minutes and when I checked the dipstick it show that it was "full" in the cold area...so is something wrong here?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM

The 4 A/T (in 2004 models) holds 2 more quarts than the 5 A/T. That is probably why they can get 6 quarts out since it holds 9 3/4 quarts.

I am waiting for my Blackstone free kit. For $20, they will analyze my old tranny oil.

That must be it. Car uses Matic D and is 4 A/T
Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax

Every 20,000 miles for me. I think waiting till 60k is too long.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Quote:
You need to add some tranny oil. When hot, the oil level must be in the area where you see xxxxxx, about 3/4 inch higher. NISSAN says to avoid overfilling. So, don't fill above the xxxxxx.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM

This is what I have heard regarding the tranny flush:

1.) You cant flush the transmission because there is no return line. But there is still another way of getting this done with similar results, of course this can be done at the dealer.

2.) Draining the fluid and then refilling with fresh fluid will do NOTHING simply because there are a couple of quarts that remain in the tranny system that must be exited by removing the tranny pan. Once you put in fresh fluid, this will mix with the old fluid and become corrupted.

3.) Im not sure, but I know there is more fluid in the tranny system than we are thinking. There is about 8 quarts total. As I said above, when you drain it only about 4 to 6 quarts will drain and then there are a few quarts that are still in the system.

4.) The tranny fluid that must be used for our cars is about $20 per quart, and a full system needs about 8 quarts or so. Yes very expensive indeed.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 PM

I was looking @ the service guide. Scheduled maintance 1 and 2 do not require you to change the trans oil. Am I reading that right? If your on the premium schedule, they recommend every 30k. But warranty service can not be denied if you use schedule 1 or 2.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That information is like so five minutes ago! It's either Matic-D or Matic-K. Look on your dipstick to find out what's right for your car!

dan

I drove all over town today and contacted many different dealers and service departments, and I found that you don't have to buy Matik K or Matik D at a dealer. If you do you're going to have to pay way too much. You can buy Valvoline Mercon V at an autoparts store. It is a lot cheaper than Matik K and it says right on the back of the bottle that is a safe alternative to Nissan Matik K, Matik J, and Matik D. fluids. I saved myself 9 bucks a quart!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
This is what I have heard regarding the tranny flush:

1.) You cant flush the transmission because there is no return line. But there is still another way of getting this done with similar results, of course this can be done at the dealer.

2.) Draining the fluid and then refilling with fresh fluid will do NOTHING simply because there are a couple of quarts that remain in the tranny system that must be exited by removing the tranny pan. Once you put in fresh fluid, this will mix with the old fluid and become corrupted.

3.) Im not sure, but I know there is more fluid in the tranny system than we are thinking. There is about 8 quarts total. As I said above, when you drain it only about 4 to 6 quarts will drain and then there are a few quarts that are still in the system.

4.) The tranny fluid that must be used for our cars is about $20 per quart, and a full system needs about 8 quarts or so. Yes very expensive indeed.
The reason you change the tranny oil between the recommended interval is to add back some additives and bring the properties of the oil back to 90% plus, giving your tranny a better chance under the intense heat. Read up on Blackstone reports and other oil analysis sites.

The 'dirty' oil is not that dirty and the new oil with not get 'corrupted'. The tranny is an hydraulic device, clutches and pumps. It does not have the level of friction that you see in an engine. A flush at the recommended 60K interval is appropriate to remove all the dirty oil and solids. Being that a tranny is so expensive to replace, any TLC is probably worth it.

I paid $9 at the dealer. I replaced the oil in my 5 A/T a week ago and only 3 quarts came out. Yes, a flush is required to push ALL 8 quarts of oil stuck in the converter, lines and radiator out.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM

The reason you change the tranny oil between the recommended interval is to add back some additives and bring the properties of the oil back to 90% plus, giving your tranny a better chance under the intense heat. Read up on Blackstone reports and other oil analysis sites.

The 'dirty' oil is not that dirty and the new oil with not get 'corrupted'. The tranny is an hydraulic device, clutches and pumps. It does not have the level of friction that you see in an engine. A flush at the recommended 60K interval is appropriate to remove all the dirty oil and solids. Being that a tranny is so expensive to replace, any TLC is probably worth it.

I paid $9 at the dealer. I replaced the oil in my 5 A/T a week ago and only 3 quarts came out. Yes, a flush is required to push ALL 8 quarts of oil stuck in the converter, lines and radiator out.
Tranny fluid goes through the radiator?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:17 AM

Tranny fluid goes through the radiator?
Oops. No it does not. Wrong car. Tranny oil cooler is inside tranny and uses water from the rad.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 PM

I think trans oil is routed to the radiator to cool down, if you check.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
I think trans oil is routed to the radiator to cool down, if you check.
It has water hoses going to the built-in tranny cooler. Check page AT-239 of service manual.

You can download the manual in RAR format from:
http://www.phatg20.net/modules.php?n...&cid=14-manual download
http://www.phatg20.net/modules.php?n...titleA&show=10

It has an index file and a table of content in PDF format that you just have to click to go to the text. If you plan on doing work on your car, this is one good manual to have.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:17 PM

that is correct, you will see this if you ever replace your radiator.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by dopestar129
How many people have changed their own transmission fluid and how many have taken it somewhere and how much did you pay? I need to at least get my fluid changed, but my dealer recommended that I get a transmission flush. I was told that I don't necessarily have to have it flushed, but the fluid should be changed along with the filter. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
That`s what I known you have to use EOM syn***ic oil
Old 01-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by astrofil
That`s what I known you have to use EOM syn***ic oil
Not sure if its synthetic but I had to use Nissan K-Matic at $9 a quart in my 05 5 A/T. I really don't want to give Nissan an excuse if I have to get the tranny fixed/replaced under warranty. That is one $$$ job.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 AM

If you drain&refill yourself every 30Kmiles, it's about $30 a pop. Not too bad at all. I remember paying $49 at the gas station for an Accord with regular trans oil (I just need to spy on how to do it). The Max is very easy to change. I just did a 2nd change @45K (1st time @30K) and there was very little waste sticking to the magnetized plug (the 1st time was a bit more). Nothing to compared with Honda/Acura, they use a much longer plug which usually heavily cover with stuffs. So if you own a Honda/Auto, change the oil more often.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm taking mine tomorrow morning for a Tranny flush and fill. The premium service schedule says 60K but I have 51K and feel it's time to get it done. Will report back tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 AM

I have an 05 with the 5 sp auto. Im at 32,000 miles and and have got a price of $229 to service the tranny which I was told should be done at 30k. Thats pretty expensive to me. You guys are just pulling a drain plug out? What about the filter? Id much rather do this myself from what I'm reading here.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM

how much is in an 04 6 speed? i am planning on using redline mt90
Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Well I am not too happy. The dealer said they couldn't flush it since the fluid is too expensive and they use the fluid to flush it out. The basically did a drain and fill.

A friend of mine owns a shop and has that machine that does Trannny flushes I may do it in another 20 or 30K if its possible with that machine.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I'm new here, looking for some help....
I've got a 2006 Maxima SL and just after I got the car back from the dealer during my last service, the car felt under powered. I brought it back and they said there was nothing wrong and that the floor mat was under the gas pedal. I went for a ride with the tech and it still felt the same. They said to try driving it around and that it should get better. Although I know this was a lame excuse, I ran out of options. I drove it around for a few weeks now and it has gotten better. This must have been due to the engine oil additive that thickened the oil so it ran different. Last week however, the car started making a buzzing sound at about 1500 RPM's. It doesnt happen all the time. Just when I think its gone there it is again. It's been driving me crazy. Do you guys think its the tranny? I baby the car, never exceed 3000 RPM's, change the engine oil every 2000 miles. I currently have about 18K miles on the car. I really would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid