6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sqeaking Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Sqeaking Suspension

I posted about this in the summer, my shocks (struts?) had began sqeaking at a very high pitch when going over speed bumps instead of the initial satisfying swooshing when the car was new. I talked to a couple guys, one an ex-army helicopter mechanic and he told me not to take it too seriously, attributing it to normal wear and tear. Some people in the forums thought it might be the maxima strut problem so I took it into the dealership and they said it was some loose washer or something and replaced a screw or some dumb **** like that (said strut would cause rattling round).

Last month, after coming back from college for thanksgiving, I had my dad take it in before my warrrenty went out as the sqeaking got louder (could it be the cold?) and they said it was the brakes but the brake pads did not need changing (no clue what they were talking about). But now after the warrenty ran out (3 years the day after christmas) the car is squeaking going over anything but the smoothest pavement and even when making turns and is clearly coming from the suspension (i think the front, but maybe both ends). It is a high pitched sqeaking like an unoiled hinge. Any ideas and am I screwed since the warrenty is already gone?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 AM

KYB struts/shocks=$288 shipped! Firmer and sportier ride yet keep some comfortableness!

dan
Old 01-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Check your front stabilizer bar end links for wear. When they are worn, you will often times get a squeak or faint sound whenever going over ANYTHING but smooth road. The slightest dip will send them squeaking. Replace these first as they are relatively inexpensive. Mine is doing it NOW, and I am bringing it into the shop and throwing in OEM links with Energy Suspension bushings, also doing ES urethane bar mount bushings and lower control arm bushings while I'm there.. Hope this helps!
DJ
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you checked the seat on the springs. I know these can create some noise when dry and hard. It's more of a creak though so not exactly what I would call high pitched.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes to what everyone said. You could spray WD40 or silicone on some of the endlinks or on the lower rubber seat under the springs.

Front or back, left or right? It is a pain to identify. May need to have a passenger with you to listen for the noise.

Raise the car, remove the brackets holding the front and back sway bars. Grease the bushings (rubber piece) where they touch the sway bar. Not sure which grease is safe for those bushings. My Progress rear sway bar came with some white grease. I suspect those bushings can get noisy when dry.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone had problems with the 18" chrome wheels on their 2004 Maxima?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:47 PM

clicking noise front end

I have clicking noise in right front side. Took the car to the mechanic and didn`t find any looses. Any suggestions ???
Old 01-20-2007, 08:19 PM

I had the clunking noise on the right-front. I asked my mechanic to replace both front struts. The guy kept telling me he didnot see anything wrong, eventhough I'm paying out of my pocket and he had ordered the KYBs. Sure enough, the noise was gone afterward. But now I'm hearing some intermittent noise from the rear. I guess it's from the endlinks of the rear swaybar. I will have that checked later on.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Where do you get the KYB shocks/struts for the $250 at?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by astrofil
I have clicking noise in right front side. Took the car to the mechanic and didn`t find any looses. Any suggestions ???
I had the clicking too the first week I took it home. The service dept. said they added more insulation somewhere. I barely hear the clicking anymore.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM

i want to change my rear spring but to make em hgher anny suggestions because i have a subwoofer
Old 02-16-2007, 04:32 PM

are you stupid or something? stop whoring up all the threads with the same exact reponse
Old 02-18-2007, 05:47 PM
briancopeland

I just bought a set of KYB's for $195 at www.innerauto.com. Tip: Look up the part #'s on the KYB site first: http://www.kyb.com/products/ and then plug the part #'s into the site (vs. plugging in your make/model). Also, bought a set of Progress springs for $116 at www.cattman.com (call for sale price) Custom suspension for $311 - not too shabby! I'm putting everything on next weekend.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:23 PM

so in my case what you think i should custom make mine and where do i get those at ???
Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by astrofil
This is normally a sign of a bad wheel bearing. If the clicking gets closer together as you speed up then it is a good bet. If it is a wheel bearing then you will want to replace it before it ruins any of your mounting hardware for your wheel(i.e deep scoring, etc.)