6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'07 versus '04

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 AM

'07 versus '04

Are there any '04 owners who have moved up to an '07? Just curious as to your feedback. My lease is about to come up, and I am considering an '07 amongst other options. Can't decide whether to stay with the Max and keep the payments down or move up to the next level (G35X, Lexus 350GS, etc.).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jc53
Are there any '04 owners who have moved up to an '07? Just curious as to your feedback. My lease is about to come up, and I am considering an '07 amongst other options. Can't decide whether to stay with the Max and keep the payments down or move up to the next level (G35X, Lexus 350GS, etc.).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Oh man... at least stay in the Nissan family!

I've got an '04 (purchased) and am not looking to upgrade yet... although the new G35 looks very nice.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Not for rookies!!

If I were you I would go with something in the infiniti line.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:27 AM

The Lexus IS 350 is VERY nice. so is the G35, but I like the Lexus better.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 AM

The IS is a rocket .... mid 13 1/4 mile times
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jim C
Very nice car, but quite a bit less roomy than the Max.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jim C
Why are you quoting modded times? Stock they run 14.2-14.4 on average.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by clayman88
Very nice car, but quite a bit less roomy than the Max.
definitely less roomy, but I'd give up the room for the quickness. plus the interior is really sharp looking.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:11 PM

screw that and get a M45......

here is my quote:

Base MSRP* $50,550.00
Exterior Color
Crimson Roulette
Interior Color and Trim
Stone Leather/Aluminum
Packages and Options
Advanced Technology Package - SIRIUS™ $2,500.00
Technology Package $2,950.00
Accessories**
Trunk Mats (Space Saver) $80.00
Air Kit $1,590.00
Configured MSRP* $57,670.00
Destination and Handling $700.00

Total MSRP* $58,370.00

Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM

M45 > all

Once u step in you wont wanna step back out.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Why are you quoting modded times? Stock they run 14.2-14.4 on average.
Nope. They run mid 13's all day stock. Go check my.is. An example time slip:

Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
screw that and get a M45......
Why stop there then? Might as well go for one of these...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 305head
M45 > all

Once u step in you wont wanna step back out.

I think the M45, the back wheels turn slightly on the sport version. I know that one of the Infinitys has this feature.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Lexus for sure or G35x..problem with the max and the altima for that matter is that CVT, until they get it right I wouldnt touch one, over 7 seconds to 60 mph isnt good enough for me.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Your decision must be made by balancing your needs, your budget and your wishes.

I see cars mentioned here with such MSRPs as $58,000. To even be discussing Maximas and $58K cars in the same paragraph is weird. Worse than 'apples and oranges'; more like comparing pistacios and polar bears. If price is no object, why not a Ferrari?

If power and speed are your primary and essential needs, you may need to move away from the Maxima. The Maxima, even though plenty powerful and fast, is designed as a most practical vehicle with a very dependable power train, lots of room (makes the Lexus IS seem like a coffin), and wonderful options (I could not survive without my heated steering wheel), all at an affordable price.

Personally, I would definitely consider the '07 Maxima. I love the '07s new interior, and having the fog lights down where they belong. My only possible hesitation would be because I haven't seen how the particular CVT used in the '07 will hold up.

Of course I would hesitate to consider Toyota/Lexus products also. They claim to have settled the engine 'sludge' problems that plagued them during the late '90s and early 2000s, but can we be sure?

Of course Nissan warrantees the power train for 5 years, etc. But I can't help but remember the many many times my son's TL Type 'S' was in the shop for tranny warranty work. Any kind of tranny problems are no fun at all. But probably the '07 Maxima CVT will be fine. Time will tell.

Only you can decide which vehicle best fits your situation.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM

And the G35 can be had for $10+K less than the IS350, for a couple of HP less. Throw in a couple of dropped-in K&Ns and call it even. I like the G35's exterior better, it's more artful/classy.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Your decision must be made by balancing your needs, your budget and your wishes.

I see cars mentioned here with such MSRPs as $58,000. To even be discussing Maximas and $58K cars in the same paragraph is weird. Worse than 'apples and oranges'; more like comparing pistacios and polar bears. If price is no object, why not a Ferrari?

If power and speed are your primary and essential needs, you may need to move away from the Maxima. The Maxima, even though plenty powerful and fast, is designed as a most practical vehicle with a very dependable power train, lots of room (makes the Lexus IS seem like a coffin), and wonderful options (I could not survive without my heated steering wheel), all at an affordable price.

Personally, I would definitely consider the '07 Maxima. I love the '07s new interior, and having the fog lights down where they belong. My only possible hesitation would be because I haven't seen how the particular CVT used in the '07 will hold up.

Of course I would hesitate to consider Toyota/Lexus products also. They claim to have settled the engine 'sludge' problems that plagued them during the late '90s and early 2000s, but can we be sure?

Of course Nissan warrantees the power train for 5 years, etc. But I can't help but remember the many many times my son's TL Type 'S' was in the shop for tranny warranty work. Any kind of tranny problems are no fun at all. But probably the '07 Maxima CVT will be fine. Time will tell.

Only you can decide which vehicle best fits your situation.

Def, all I kno is that when I am cruzin the streets of Chitwn in 20-30 deg weather in my 07 Max. I am happy I have a heated steering wheel and heated seats...now if the shifter was heated that would tite aswell.....lol Hey remember man Max are sport with class and is low in budget compared to its compention, real bang for your buck....so booyaah... remeber this is a MAx forum peoples not an infinity, bmrs, or anything else just Maxs baby....we have to repesent...
Old 01-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Max07Ridr
...now if the shifter was heated that would tite aswell.....
Why do you need a heated shifter? The CVT does all of that for you and you don't even need to touch the shifter.

My 04 has nothing heated (but I do keep it in a garage that stays in the 40s in the winter). I do not feel a need for heated seats or steering wheel. If it were parked outside, the story for me might be different.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 AM

I wish my shifter was heated. I changed my 6 speed shifter to an all aluminum 2006 Evo MR shifter. Its gorgeous - a work of art - but damn it gets cold even here in southern cali!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Banned

I believe an IS350 would stomp all over an M45 from 0-60 and in the qtr...get the M if you want an even bigger car than the 6th gen, get the IS if you want quickness and speed. I googled and came up with this IS-F thats coming out...0-60 in less than 4.9 seconds with a 400HP V8, the 350 is quoted to be around 5.3 seconds. Look at the kit o this thing too, its absolutly sick...i dont think anyone on here would want an M45 over this thing.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I believe an IS350 would stomp all over an M45 from 0-60 and in the qtr...get the M if you want an even bigger car than the 6th gen, get the IS if you want quickness and speed. I googled and came up with this IS-F thats coming out...0-60 in less than 4.9 seconds with a 400HP V8, the 350 is quoted to be around 5.3 seconds. Look at the kit o this thing too, its absolutly sick...i dont think anyone on here would want an M45 over this thing.
O - WOW!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:12 PM

i love my 07, nissan over toyota anyday, baby
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zargon
Nope. They run mid 13's all day stock. Go check my.is. An example time slip:

http://www.coleplay.net/photos/slip.jpg
give it time and you'll see G's posting time slips similar to this one. If a magazine can get 13.7 out of an auto I seriously doubt that will be the lowest time we'll see...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
Why do you need a heated shifter? The CVT does all of that for you and you don't even need to touch the shifter.

My 04 has nothing heated (but I do keep it in a garage that stays in the 40s in the winter). I do not feel a need for heated seats or steering wheel. If it were parked outside, the story for me might be different.
Maybe some of us do...park are baby's outside...and maybe some of us like to keep one and on the wheel and the other on the shifter.... hey im just postn a suggestion, trust me if Nissan had an OEM heated shifter, I wouldn't be the only one who would jump on that whether or not its auto or stick...lol
i
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 PM

The heated steering wheelie thing is something many don't need, or even care about. Years ago, I was among that 'many'; never even thought about such a thing.

But when you get very old, and your bones (and especially your hands) have no circulation left, things change. We had temps varying between 67 and 70 degrees here south of Atlanta all afternoon Saturday, and I had my steering wheel heater on all day. My only problem is the automatic cutoff when the sensor decides the wheel temp is 69 degrees or higher. Wish I could disable that cutoff.

I keep my SL in an insulated garage where I have never seen the temp below 55 degrees. But I still need the heated steering wheel, else I have to wear thick gloves, which deaden my ability to get any feedback from the road through the steering wheel.

When I drive my wife's truck, unless it is a hot day, my hands turn to ice blocks in minutes. I have to pull over and let her drive. I told my wife almost three years ago that I would never own another vehicle without a heated steering wheel. And I mean that with all my heart.

My suggestion to all you young'uns (includes you, SilverMax_04; by my standards, you are still 'young'): never grow old; too many things seem to quit working. About the only things I can count on are two wives and my Maxima . . . oops; that senility thing again. I meant my wife and my two Maximas.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 PM

I'd love the idea of a heated shifter, i hate having to touch that frozen shifter...so damn cold, especially early mornings, pisses me off, even though i park my car in an underground parking lot. i really wish nissan had built a heated shifter.it really would help us cold drivers up in canada.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:26 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Am I the only one that noticed that he said Lexus GS not IS?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:13 AM

The heated steering wheelie thing is something many don't need, or even care about. Years ago, I was among that 'many'; never even thought about such a thing.

But when you get very old, and your bones (and especially your hands) have no circulation left, things change. We had temps varying between 67 and 70 degrees here south of Atlanta all afternoon Saturday, and I had my steering wheel heater on all day. My only problem is the automatic cutoff when the sensor decides the wheel temp is 69 degrees or higher. Wish I could disable that cutoff.

I keep my SL in an insulated garage where I have never seen the temp below 55 degrees. But I still need the heated steering wheel, else I have to wear thick gloves, which deaden my ability to get any feedback from the road through the steering wheel.

When I drive my wife's truck, unless it is a hot day, my hands turn to ice blocks in minutes. I have to pull over and let her drive. I told my wife almost three years ago that I would never own another vehicle without a heated steering wheel. And I mean that with all my heart.

My suggestion to all you young'uns (includes you, SilverMax_04; by my standards, you are still 'young'): never grow old; too many things seem to quit working. About the only things I can count on are two wives and my Maxima . . . oops; that senility thing again. I meant my wife and my two Maximas. OOOOOOh, I'm telling!!!!
You are so precious! I really enjoy reading your threads and insightful advice!

I also love my heated steering wheel. You're right, it's one of those things that you think BEFORE you own it "How useless and goofy is that?"
Once you own it and use it: "I'll never go without again"!

I thought it was just a cool 'do dad' until I started using it. I do love mine and use it often. My car is also garaged and 'tucked in' at night. We don't usually get nasty cold weather here (A few rough days in the winter), but it does get cold enough that the steering wheel takes the edge off.

I am equally fond of heated seats as Light is with his wheel. Mine is on all the time.

I love the Max, whether it be 05 or 07. Nice bang for the buck!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:41 PM

4MySwee - Thanks for the nice words. Except for one; 'precious'. When used to refer to me, my wife prefers that only she use that word.

I'd use a 'winkie' here, but, at my age, when I try to wink, I usually fall asleep.

Speaking of my wife, she uses the heated seats on both our '04 SL and our '00 SE Maximas every time the temp drops below around 60 degrees. She loves them, and wishes she had heated seats on her truck.

She used the '04 SL one day last week when her carpool went from one other woman to two for a day. The one relegated to the back seat said she had never seen such a roomy and comfortable back seat in any car. I just smiled.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 PM

I love the 07 Max. We have an 07 and an 05... I really enjoy the heated stuff.... the other day my mom was in my 07 and she said that she felt really cozy in it... hehehe.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 PM

My suggestion to all you young'uns (includes you, SilverMax_04; by my standards, you are still 'young'): never grow old; too many things seem to quit working.
Well it's clear to me that your brain has not quit working. Keep up the good posts, light.

If you have poor circulation in your hands, have you been checked for carpel tunnel syndrome? My mother had this and her hands were always cold because the carpel tunnel in her wrists both closed up, restricting the blood flow into her both of her hands. They now have an operation that successfully opens up the carpel tunnel to improve circulation.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 AM

Did anyone see the 'Serta' commercial about cars and comfort?

The scene opens with car wrecks piling up in an intersection. The camera pans to the drivers and passengers, and oddly enough, everyone is sleeping, out like a light. (No pun intended LightontheHill).

Serta's narrarative voice says "Aren't you glad all we make is mattresses?"

My twin sat in the back seat of the Max while we all went out for lunch, she got out dreary and tired, slow and sluggish. After she got out, she started laughing and exclaimed that the feeling reminded her of the Serta commercial......

Light, I won't call you 'Precious'! Can't have a feud over Light with the Misses. How about 'Darlin'? I'm sure your bride means every word when she calls you the 'P word'-I dare not repeat it, for fear of a pummeling from Mrs. Light.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 AM

4MySwee - Thanks for the nice words. Except for one; 'precious'. When used to refer to me, my wife prefers that only she use that word.

I'd use a 'winkie' here, but, at my age, when I try to wink, I usually fall asleep.

Speaking of my wife, she uses the heated seats on both our '04 SL and our '00 SE Maximas every time the temp drops below around 60 degrees. She loves them, and wishes she had heated seats on her truck.

She used the '04 SL one day last week when her carpool went from one other woman to two for a day. The one relegated to the back seat said she had never seen such a roomy and comfortable back seat in any car. I just smiled.
Light,

It might sound chinsy, but I'll throw it out there. My husband drives a rig for a living. As you can imagine, it doesn't take long to get achy and tender. We found this device that you drape with elastic straps, over your seat and plug into a cigarette lighter. It's made by Dr. Schol's and only ran around $20 at Wal-mart. Maybe that would help your lovely Bride in the winter? Oh yeah, it also had three levels of massage.
Just thinking of her........
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by trance.addict
I'd love the idea of a heated shifter, i hate having to touch that frozen shifter...so damn cold, especially early mornings, pisses me off, even though i park my car in an underground parking lot. i really wish nissan had built a heated shifter.it really would help us cold drivers up in canada.
Yes!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants a heated shifter! Does anyone know if there any cars with this option?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Am I the only one that noticed that he said Lexus GS not IS?
nope. I saw that and I decided to bring up the IS 350 because I think it's an awesome car.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Well, is this 'senior discount day' on the ORG? Different stores/sites have it on different days.

SilverMax04 - I may have carpal tunnel syndrome, but if I do, it was inherited from my Mother and my Grandmother.

They were never able to keep their hands warm. Whenever we were visiting my Mother, we always boiled several eggs. Mom never ate them; she just rolled them around in her hands while they were hot. Brought a nice smile to her face. Now my wife does the same for me.

When I go for my annual physical in March, I will ask my doctor if he can determine whether I may have carpal tunnel syndrome, and, if so, how he would address the problem.

4MySwee - My wife would probably like a device that massages her while we roll down the highway. She is REALLY into comfort. For instance, we discovered Birkenstock shoes a few years ago, and that is the only brand we buy now. She said she has never had as comfortable a shoe.

As to calling me 'dahlin', every waitress in every BBQ restaurant, Waffle House, or any 'country cooking' style facility we frequent has called me that for decades. In fact, they call my wife 'dahlin' also.

To diverge, while eating at Oz Pizza today, we saw FOUR 6th gen Maximas pass by the window in about 45 minutes! They are still selling around here.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 AM

Well, after much analysis, '07 Maxima was my choice. It came down to economics! Guess I'll be changing my profile this morning. Goodbye to the '04 white Max; hello to the '07 Majestic Blue SL with navigation and DPP.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Most of the vehicles I've had since the '95 Max have had heated seats and the '03 & '07 have had the heated wheel. I don't think I've used the heated wheel more than twice or the heated seats more than a dozen times. I find that radiated heat feeling very uncomfortable and end up turning them off in 5 minutes or less (or course, my shirt sleeve comfort zone runs from 35° to 65° and anything over 70° is way too warm.). My wife and daughter, on the other hand, use them both at least 4-5 months of the year.

Those of you who appreciate the warmth should check out a Volvo. My Volvo's seats have two settings - roast and broil - and the heater will blast hot air within two blocks from home. Must be geared for those Scandinavian winters.

Personally, I'd love to see a refrigerated wheel/shifter - you can't touch those things here in Charlotte during July & August. Thirteen years here and I still can't deal with the summer heat.

JC53 - Good luck with the '07! I suspect that heated seats/wheel will be appreciated "north of Boston"!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 PM

I thought the Heated Steering Wheel was a frivolous feature until I actually used it. I doubt I can ever own a car without one...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am OBSESSED with the heated steering wheel. In colder climates, you can say "goodbye" to gloves while driving. It's been very difficult to find another vehicle in the Maxima price range that even offers it.

As far as I can determine, it's only offered on the STS and A6. Not available on the ES350 or even the M35. I'm sure you can find it on the high level luxobrands, but the Maxima is kind of unique in this respect.

Quick Reply: '07 versus '04