6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Building an Electric Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Building an Electric Supercharger

Allright before most of you down this idea keep in mind I have done some extensive research on this idea. Once I build this I will make it completely available to everyone not for sale but for do-it-yourself item. I will keep complete details on what I do, what I learn, and lots of pictures. I do however need some help on doing this from you guys. The first thing I need to know is intake settings. Meaning ____cfm @_____rpm. I do not have a air/fuel controller yet so this information isn't really easy for me to get. If anyone has this information available or could get this for me from a dyno or selftesting please provide. The more inputs the better. The setup I will be putting together will be vehicle specific but may work with other vehicles. Thanx in advance.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Allright before most of you down this idea keep in mind I have done some extensive research on this idea. Once I build this I will make it completely available to everyone not for sale but for do-it-yourself item. I will keep complete details on what I do, what I learn, and lots of pictures. I do however need some help on doing this from you guys. The first thing I need to know is intake settings. Meaning ____cfm @_____rpm. I do not have a air/fuel controller yet so this information isn't really easy for me to get. If anyone has this information available or could get this for me from a dyno or selftesting please provide. The more inputs the better. The setup I will be putting together will be vehicle specific but may work with other vehicles. Thanx in advance.

Yaaaay! Finally somebody with a little ambition!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 PM

im sure someone with a little experience with the air/fuel controllers would know that information. Sadly i dont, but good luck on your quest.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Read this link.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=473182
Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
awesome that's exactly what I needed. thanx.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM

What kind of "fan" are you using?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Being a person running a supercharger on a built Mustang I don't see how you will be able to get enough boost out of an electric supercharger without a huge electric motor. Belt driven superchargers require quite a bit of horsepower from the motor to spin them when under boost conditions. This would mean a 10-20 hp electric motor just to see minimum boost if any at high RPM. In my Mustang you don't even start feeling any power difference until 5psi and higher. I'm not knocking your idea but just think in the long run it will be just as expensive as a conventional supercharger.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 AM
GrandPa

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by IDNUKEU
Being a person running a supercharger on a built Mustang I don't see how you will be able to get enough boost out of an electric supercharger without a huge electric motor. Belt driven superchargers require quite a bit of horsepower from the motor to spin them when under boost conditions. This would mean a 10-20 hp electric motor just to see minimum boost if any at high RPM. In my Mustang you don't even start feeling any power difference until 5psi and higher. I'm not knocking your idea but just think in the long run it will be just as expensive as a conventional supercharger.
Very good/true post. for the newbie.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM

You'll need an awfully long extention cord for it
Think about turbocharging, much better idea...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pronto
You'll need an awfully long extention cord for it
Think about turbocharging, much better idea...

Think about this: no matter what you do to enhance performance, there will always be someone else with a faster vehicle than yours. Drive the speed limits and enjoy your ride in its natural state.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Moderator GT-R

Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
Think about this: no matter what you do to enhance performance, there will always be someone else with a faster vehicle than yours. Drive the speed limits and enjoy your ride in its natural state.
Thats ok for you, but most of us on here are not satisfied with our cars in a stock condition.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zargon
Thats ok for you, but most of us on here are not satisfied with our cars in a stock condition.

I know. I was young once, too. I think the need (or wish) for speed connects with something very basic in the masculine psyche... Of course, not all modders are speed freaks (pun intended), but I suspect a fairly large percentage of them are. The problem for me is when speed potential tempts us to drive dangerously, putting others (as well as ourselves) at risk.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:02 PM

I know. I was young once, too. I think the need (or wish) for speed connects with something very basic in the masculine psyche... Of course, not all modders are speed freaks (pun intended), but I suspect a fairly large percentage of them are. The problem for me is when speed potential tempts us to drive dangerously, putting others (as well as ourselves) at risk.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:08 PM

i'm slow
Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by enjetek
i'm slow
...............if those are your two cars in your sig then I highly doubt they are slow......... sleepers' for the win!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

I think it's a lot more entertaining and in depth than just speed.

Unlocking the engines potential is more 'fun' for me than jsut plain raw speed/power. Knowing what parameters affect exaclty what aspect of performance, vs what changes affect other items.

Undestanding that X will change Y, and in return, affect Z. Now, you must change A in order to compensate for the changes in B, thus allowing C to be in its optimal range for an overall gain.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM

Unlocking the engines potential is more 'fun' for me than jsut plain raw speed/power. Knowing what parameters affect exaclty what aspect of performance, vs what changes affect other items.

Undestanding that X will change Y, and in return, affect Z. Now, you must change A in order to compensate for the changes in B, thus allowing C to be in its optimal range for an overall gain.

Well, if that's your bag, you must have one heck of a garage, including a dyno...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
thats one messy engine bay
Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 PM

that's very true, and gaining all the knowledge I am now is going to be great in a few years when I start a real project car and have to know what effects this and will make that do this and effect this
Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Well, if that's your bag, you must have one heck of a garage, including a dyno...
Nope, just a carport, laptop & data logging capability.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:41 AM

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
At first glance I thought this was another one of those intake gimmicks.

This should be interesting...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 AM

Reminds me of the tornado that is advertised to install in the intake tube. I would be uneasy about putting that on my intake. Lots of nice little parts that can be sucked in your engine if it fails. The impeller looks very thin and more like a fan blade than a compressor wheel used in a turbo or centrifugal supercharger.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
1psi or 1.7psi, you got to be kidding! I run 26psi in my Turbo T! 1psi is pissing in the wind, you can get that with a ram air style intake. The other setup with 3 electric motors spinning a small roots style blower is in my opinion not worth the effort. The draw electrically would put a strain on the alternator that would equal the hp gains from the blower. Turbocharging is free hp. Problem is the Maxima's engine control is too hard to modify. You need an aftermartket computer which is expensive and you need expert tuning to get it to work right. The Buick uses a chip that is well cracked and easily replaced. Guys run the stock computer on Buicks all the way down to the 9's!