6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Opinions on CE- y pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

quality is probably lower.. and as long as the pipes have no pancaked pipes, you'd probably be looking at similar power gains.. I'd want to know what kinda mufflers they are too..
Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Everyone who has this thing tends to NOT mention the power gains, if they do then its something like "Ehh, I THINK I feel it". Im still unsure weather to buy one or not.

The before and after dyno is the real way to go. I think there are some dyno numbers here on the .org from the first guy who installed the CE-Y pipe. Someone will have to do a search for it.

Reduced weight is always good too.

As far as the catback system on ebay, that seller has a pretty good history and feedback so you never know, maybe it's not a bad set up.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 PM

found these from another member's cardomain site.. not the best pictures, but you can still read it.

Before

After

Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM

i wish those pix were bigger ...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

Those look like the dynos that were on CE's website.

Grotesquely low on torque. Decent high end, though not on a DJ248
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 AM
TAZ

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Those look like the dynos that were on CE's website.

Grotesquely low on torque. Decent high end, though not on a DJ248
from what I can see in those pics, the test car may have a low base line BUT HP and TQ are both up by at least 12points all around in the second pic
Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Also, another dyno that started late and finished early.

Originally Posted by taz
the test car may have a low base line BUT HP and TQ are both up by at least 12points all around in the second pic
I'd say more dynos would be a more definitive way to prove results.

For maximum results, reputable headers are the way to go.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
For maximum results, reputable headers are the way to go.
Brian from Cattman...hopefully by summer!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:33 PM

just got mine from taz, now to install this thing along with the MMI's. my plan is during srping break to do it.

ritz, the oem bolts didnt work? were they too short?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM

what MMI's means????
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
TAZ

Motor Mount Inserts. They stop excessive engine movement that causes wheel hop, as well they help put more power to the ground. They also allow for quicker more precise shifting.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM

got it thx you where i can get those???

OEM MM ??? it is same thing???
Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
TAZ

The MMI's are available on my website, click the "racingline" in my sig.

They go inside of your OEM motor mount
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by taz

A b!tch to put in a 6th Gen but worth it!!! I love mine...
Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
just got mine from taz, now to install this thing along with the MMI's. my plan is during srping break to do it.

ritz, the oem bolts didnt work? were they too short?
the bolts that attach the y-pipe to the catback are actually built into the stock y-pipe, so you'll have to get new bolts for that. I just took the nuts that came off it to Home Depot and matched them up to some 1-1/2 or 2" bolts..
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 AM

It's good, yet a little worrying, to see those dyno's, that low end is pretty bad looking.

Also, Re: Ebay - you get what you pay for, and if someone has a good product comparable to the more familiar setups that they can sell that cheap, they'd have a thousand orders from people like us and wouldn't need to sell them one at a time on ebay. And they'd have more specifics about the pipe diameter and where the mufflers came from. -my opinion-

I would really appreciate if anyone could offer an opinion on how combining a CAI with the Y-pipe would work out. Just generally - A good idea because they compliment each other? Or not so much because they create a collective change of the A/F ratio that is not good.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM

If you want a good power-gain then wait for the Cattman headers and pair it with the Cattman cat-back exhaust along with a Fujita CAI
Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
briancopeland

I couldn't wait for the Cattman Y-Pipe and don't really want headers while my '05 is still under warranty. I bought one of the few remaining CE Y-pipes from Taz at Racingline. It arrived today for $180 and can't wait to get it on this weekend. I'll let everyone know what I think. I do plan to put the Cattman Catback on later when I decide to spend the money, unless Chermax convinces me to go with Greddy instead (I heard you and I'm thinking about it ;-)

Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM

I Got It, Yessssssssssssssss ! Got It Installed Tonight - Was With Joe All This Time - I'll Upload The Video Clips Later On Tonight. Ahh, Sounds Amazing And I Do Feel An Increase In Power Especially When I Hit 3000 Rpms And Above. Honestly, It was a pleasure working with Joe. Great Guy, Very Patient and Knowledgeable. Thanks a lot, Joe for the exceptional service.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
*moderator*

Damn I want to get mine on!! Next week for me...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by trance.addict
I Got It, Yessssssssssssssss ! Got It Installed Tonight - Was With Joe All This Time - I'll Upload The Video Clips Later On Tonight. Ahh, Sounds Amazing And I Do Feel An Increase In Power Especially When I Hit 3000 Rpms And Above. Honestly, It was a pleasure working with Joe. Great Guy, Very Patient and Knowledgeable. Thanks a lot, Joe for the exceptional service.
A++ A+++ I'm driving up to see him tommorow for the Y pipe, maybe he'll be nice enough and install it up in my car

Plus i wanna see the new ankle biter.

Peace,

Kamski
Old 03-03-2007, 03:48 AM

I'm not too familiar with bolts and threads etc... but here's the packaging on the bolts that I bought from Home Depot to attach the Y-pipe to the catback.. they were plenty long, and you could probably go a bit shorter, but it doesn't matter. that top line says 10mm-1.25x50mm I believe.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 AM

when is cattman's ypipe supposed to be ready for sale?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by taz

Hey chooch, you dont have a sig.

Kamski
Old 03-03-2007, 12:39 PM

As Promised, Here are the Videos -

Before Y-Pipe & MMI Insert -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rSTYkK3ES0

After Y-Pipe & Front MMI Insert -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQCgnNH5dDQ

I took it for a Test Drive Last Night Once Again, There's An Obvious Increase In Power & Sound. I Hit 100 In No Time & Also, I doubt i lost too much low end power So All in All, An Amazing Mod. I'm Happy. Please Provide Feedback.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:24 PM
briancopeland

I put mine on today and feel the same way. Hit 110 like it was nothing. When I saw that flat "kink" in the stock pipe I couldn't believe it. What were those engineers thinking? I highly recommend this mod to everyone.

Joe (a.k.a. Taz) - Thanks, again for the awesome deal on the CE Y-Pipe and for the free, fast shipping. You're the man!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:28 PM

hey brian, quick question? do you feel there's a decrease in mileage? sure, the power and sound are amazing - what about the mileage? I'm aware i have one very small leak - which Joe's aware of as well and we'd be fixing it hopefully soon - i was suppose to meet him today but couldn't make it. I'm guessing my mileage issue is due to the leak. Let me know, thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM
.org extraordinaire

hey brian, quick question? do you feel there's a decrease in mileage? sure, the power and sound are amazing - what about the mileage? I'm aware i have one very small leak - which Joe's aware of as well and we'd be fixing it hopefully soon - i was suppose to meet him today but couldn't make it. I'm guessing my mileage issue is due to the leak. Let me know, thanks
I just came back from Joes place, the Y-PIPE is the SIHT!!!! Got my car up 120, like nothing, then I ran out of cruise control speed, cause cruise maxes out at 150 then I didnt even realize how fast I was going until my GF told me and I slowed down. JESUS H CHRIST!!! The Y-pipe is a definate must have mod.

Thanks Again Joe for laying on the driveway in this weather to install it, you really care about your customers and that really counts. A++

No leaks in mine, Sud you should have come, it was a good day. Maybe you and Joe can swing by my place one day when it gets warmer.

Take Care,

Kamski
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Hey Kam,

I totally agree - Joe's A Great Guy, He was patient enough and he did the install for me, infact he even asked me if he should do the endlinks but it was already too late and i said it could wait for some other time. It was freezing down there yet he didn't budge until the install - He truly does care about his customers, most people just say yeah i'll install it but he explained almost everything to me. He know's what he's doing and not once was I disappointed. A + + + For Sure.

Yeah, I do have a small leak which I'll get fixed pretty soon. I should have made it today but unfortunately, i had a late night and i was quite dead. Sorry Kam, I sure will swing by your place with Joe some time and likewise.

Sure is a good feeling when you see the meter crawling up those high-end numbers.

Takecare bro,
Saud
Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 PM

When I do the swap is there anything I should do to minimize the chance of leaks in the system? Any install tips from those who have done it would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:20 PM
TAZ

trance addict has a leak cause I put the wrong bolts in. it's really minor but I told him I'd swap them out for the right ones later
Old 03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
briancopeland

Dude, this part has been on my car for approx. 5 hours. Do you really think I would know that yet?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:23 PM

I was thinking the same thing

*You should change Nismo R-Tune Camshaft to Nismo R-Tune Camshafts Since there are 4 and that would be plural!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:14 PM

Dude - I didn't mean to step your toe but I'm sure there's a nicer way to say that. I was just wondering if you felt any decrease in mileage cause i did - reason being, i put in 16 $ of gas and that usually lets me go back to toronto, come back and still drive around and from my place to toronto is about 60 + kms which is about 120 kms and last night - i was out at 60 something Kms itself. so maybe now you understand why i asked you that question.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Newbie just Registered

Dude - I didn't mean to step your toe but I'm sure there's a nicer way to say that. I was just wondering if you felt any decrease in mileage cause i did - reason being, i put in 16 $ of gas and that usually lets me go back to toronto, come back and still drive around and from my place to toronto is about 60 + kms which is about 120 kms and last night - i was out at 60 something Kms itself. so maybe now you understand why i asked you that question.
Maybe you were having too much fun...
Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM

When you install the Y-Pipe your check engine light come on?? or not????
Old 03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
briancopeland

Sorry. No worries. I probably will lose mileage from stepping on the gas, but in theory it actually should get better mileage if the engine has to work less to expell exhaust gases. My guess is that it won't signicantly affect mileage either way over the stock pipe.

As for the engine light. Mine did not come on. The sensor that connects to the Y-pipe is actually on the engine side of the catalytic converter (that's now gone). Of course, we're in Georgia, so I don't know how other states do their testing.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:35 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
I was thinking the same thing

*You should change Nismo R-Tune Camshaft to Nismo R-Tune Camshafts Since there are 4 and that would be plural!
You're correct and I know how much they cost, too!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
When I do the swap is there anything I should do to minimize the chance of leaks in the system? Any install tips from those who have done it would be appreciated.
I got 2 new ring gaskets for the front and the flat gasket for the back. I added some header wrap since it does not have a heat shield like the old one.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM

I wish I can grab a hold of one of these..

Quick Reply: Opinions on CE- y pipes