6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 AM

rattling noise

hi everyone
i have a 6th gen (06) and was wondering if anyone ever heard of a rattling noise that happens when you drive slow. the noise sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the dashboard

i've searched other forums and have heard that other people have had rattling noises from previous generations, but not a 6th gen

anybody have any ideas?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 PM

I have an 06 Max and used to have a clicking noise coming out of the dash...took it to the dealership, they took the dash apart 2 times and scratched one of the panels in the process...then they told me they fixed it - cause: "a loose clip"...Then I had to take it back to have the scratched panel replaced - of course, they did not have one in stock.
Thing is, from time to time still I hear that noise (although it happens quite rarely), but I do not dare to ask them to check it again- God knows what they'll break this time.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an 06 as well and this noise has been bugging me for the longest time.
It is a buzzing/rattling noise coming from the passenger side definitely.
This noise occurs continuously when I drive on imperfect roads...which is 95%
of the time since my commute is in the city.
I can't seem to narrow it down since I am always driving. And all of my
passengers can't seem to hear it. I keep on thinking that it may be one
of the speakers is loose. But increasing the volume on the radio does not
rattle anything when parked. I have brought it back to the dealer and
they claimed that weather expansion/contraction will cause this noise...it's
normal. So I gave up on those useless *****. Since you have mentioned the
dash, I will bang on that area and see what I can find.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM

albert
thanks for htting up this thread man
you're from around my way so you know that when we drive on nyc streets, theres that freaking rattling noise. i don't like it it cause it makes me feel like i have a car that's about to fall apart
i'm gonna take it to my dealership next weekend and see what they tell me

oh and btw, in case it might be the same one, im going to the one in far rockaway
i'll def. keep you posted
Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 AM

mxz380, yeah please keep me posted of what you may find.
I keep on thinking that the sound may be from the passenger
side door, but when I go bang on it I don't hear the rattle.
So maybe it's somewhere in the dash. I also hear a whistling
or whining sound whenever my heat is on. However, it doesn't
occur all the time.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can almost guarantee it’s your rear view mirror. The next time you hear the sound, hold your rear view mirror and see if it stops. I've been having this problem forever and I can't seem to fix it.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 AM

thanks for the tip freshee

i'll definetly check that out and give you an update

Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by freshee
I can almost guarantee it’s your rear view mirror. The next time you hear the sound, hold your rear view mirror and see if it stops. I've been having this problem forever and I can't seem to fix it.
i can almost guarantee its not this.. i've had this problem as well for quite a while.. the rearview mirror vibration is a completely different noise.. this almost seems as if the rattling is causing something in the passenger side dash to vibrate steadily.. i went to my dealer and they said the same thing; a change in the contraction and expansion of weather stripping blah blah blah..

long story short, they asked me to come back when it gets warmer in spring to see if i get it again.. if you go to 46 nissan in clifton, nj you can get great service.. talk to tony campos the service manager.. he will handle everything and not try to screw you on warranty crap

Old 02-23-2007, 08:10 AM

hey ecksy
i see what you mean about this thing
i never had this noise during warm weather seasons but then again i've only had my max for a year and maybe never noticed. i'm taking it to the dealer for an oil change soon and will ask him about that and one other thing i want (ipod connection) but that's a whole other thread by me
=)
Old 02-23-2007, 12:05 PM

I am certain that this is not coming from the mirror
and it is not hot/cold temperature related. I have
this noise all year round. I wish someone with
good bass can park next to me and vibrate
the rattle so I can pin point it.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Albert
mxz380, yeah please keep me posted of what you may find.
I keep on thinking that the sound may be from the passenger
side door, but when I go bang on it I don't hear the rattle.
So maybe it's somewhere in the dash. I also hear a whistling
or whining sound whenever my heat is on. However, it doesn't
occur all the time.
i don't have this whistling noise from the heat that you are talking about

but i do know that it's definetly not my rear view mirror. i tried taking my car on a slightly bumpy road today just to see if the noises come out while holding onto the mirror.

the sound definetly sounds like it's coming out of the passenger side of my dashboard. i think i'll take it to my dealership on wed. and see what they say

i'll post any findings on this thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 AM

finally being fed up with the noise, i tried a few things last night to try and rectify this whole rattling noise

i figured since the noise was coming from the passenger side that i would try messing with the things on the passenger side and see what works

i tried adjusting the seat first.
SURPRISE SURPRISE, no more rattling noise. i guess the seat was just off track or something

hopefully this will come in handy to someone else
Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by mzx380
finally being fed up with the noise, i tried a few things last night to try and rectify this whole rattling noise

i figured since the noise was coming from the passenger side that i would try messing with the things on the passenger side and see what works

i tried adjusting the seat first.
SURPRISE SURPRISE, no more rattling noise. i guess the seat was just off track or something

hopefully this will come in handy to someone else
Im sorry man but that doesn't seem right at all. The sound doesn't seem as if it's coming anywhere from the seat. How could that being "off track" cause that kind of vibration in the passenger dash/column? I understand that sound will travel especially with little rattles like that but having a seat vibration travel that far doesn't seem feasible. I'll make an appointment with 46 nissan for Saturday and see if the service manager there can get tot the bottom of it. It has gotten a lot warmer this week so I think it's reasonable to ask.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by ecksy
Im sorry man but that doesn't seem right at all. The sound doesn't seem as if it's coming anywhere from the seat. How could that being "off track" cause that kind of vibration in the passenger dash/column? I understand that sound will travel especially with little rattles like that but having a seat vibration travel that far doesn't seem feasible. I'll make an appointment with 46 nissan for Saturday and see if the service manager there can get tot the bottom of it. It has gotten a lot warmer this week so I think it's reasonable to ask.

well whether it was or it's not, i've been driving for 2 days since i adjusted my seat and not a single rattling noise.
usually it happens every time i drive on the street
so it seems that adjusting it took care of the problem
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Yes and No.

Originally Posted by freshee
I have this problem too. My rattle was/is from a small piece of plastic in front of the rear view mirror. It hides the wire going to the mirror. It slides back and forth on mine. It's quiet for now. Hope this helps.

D.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 PM

P.s.

Not to sound condescending, but check to see if it isn't the sunglass holder by the map lights. I had my metal Oakleys in there and every once in a while they'll rattle. Suggestion: piece of fabric or velvet at the bottom.

Just tryn' ta help,
D.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 PM

There were already some good suggestions on several places in the car that could create rattles. I'm going to add a couple since I went out the other day after reading this post and found a couple of spots in my car that might have been creating an annoying rattle recently.

1) My most likely rattle spot was at the bottom of the front pillar trim on the passenger side where it meets the front dash. It was really loose and made a rattle sound if I thumped on the dash in that area. Wedged a piece of rubber deep in there to stiffen it up.

2) Front light sensor insert on front passenger side of dash. Mine was sticking up slightly and would move up and down if pressed. I took it out and "tightened' it up a bit and re-installed. This may not have been rattling but it was kind of annoying how it was sticking up just a little.

3) I noticed the vanity mirror on my sunshade rattles too. It was hard to find where it was coming from, but it is a fairly loose assembly. Not sure how to tighten it up, but it only does it a very low acceleration rate which I rarely do.

4) as mentioned, other spots to check are seats, rear-view mirror and also the plastic pieces on the sides of the sunroof. My sunroof had some loose trim a while back - just snaps back in place.

Good luck to all.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DRopinski
Not to sound condescending, but check to see if it isn't the sunglass holder by the map lights. I had my metal Oakleys in there and every once in a while they'll rattle. Suggestion: piece of fabric or velvet at the bottom.

Just tryn' ta help,
D.
I'm having an issue with the sunglass holder as well. When my '07 is pulling up a slight grade at about 20 mph, the CVT gets down into a growly, vibrat-ey range and that was in turn causing a buzzing noise somewhere inside the car. To my ears it sounded like it was coming from the dash.

I took it in for its first oil change a few months ago, had them look at it. They drove me around to try and relpicate it. We got it to happen and the mechanic did something in the dash. I thought it was fixed, but shortly thereafter it started up again. Most times when I was pulling up a grade at a slow speed, this buzz would re-appear.

Finally I hit upon where it was coming from - the sunglass holder lid was vibrating. The second it starts, all I have to do is touch it and it stops buzzing.

I need to schedule an appointment to see if they can fix it.

Harry
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM

im having this same problem i will check all these mentioned above and let everyone know what i find out thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Hey guys just trying to help out here... I work for nissan dealership doing detail's, anyways I work in the shop an I've heard about this noise in your 6th gen's, Nissan has a TSB for this. The noise is actually coming from your glove compartment. There's two rubber inserts that suppose to stop your glovebox door from hitting the dash when its closed, we were changing them out with longer thicker ones to stop the rattle, theres about two or three of them can't remember but check it out for yourself......
Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by VQA32SE_L
Hey guys just trying to help out here... I work for nissan dealership doing detail's, anyways I work in the shop an I've heard about this noise in your 6th gen's, Nissan has a TSB for this. The noise is actually coming from your glove compartment. There's two rubber inserts that suppose to stop your glovebox door from hitting the dash when its closed, we were changing them out with longer thicker ones to stop the rattle, theres about two or three of them can't remember but check it out for yourself......
good info man do you have a copy of the tsb for this? the thing with mine is you can even hear it outside of the car
Old 03-14-2007, 10:23 AM

Here's what I found...hope this helps

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-050.htm
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

rattle/creak

I've had this creak in my '08 SL from the time I bought it - it only happens in cold weather, and the colder, the worse it gets. Had the dealer replace the dash piece behind the glove box - didn't help. It's kind of a popping/clicking sound the only happens at speeds less than around 40 mph, when going over sharp ruts/pavement seams especially when the pass side goes over the bump and not the driver side. I've had the pass side glove box/dash behind it out and when pushing on the heater fan housing that seems to stop it. I've tried padding numerous places etc. It does it less now but it still does. However when spring rolls around, then it stops. All in all I would say the car rattles less than my previous car, a '99 Acura TL, though.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM

I've had a rattle noise when i were to accelerate. it turned out to be the heat sheild where the Y-pipe connects, i had to clamp that down. it also sounded like it came from my passenger side.

just a heads up
Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Same as Casanova, Mine was the heatshield as well. It kinda sounds like a tin can rattling softly on the passenger side. Mine would happen when I would be at 2500 RPM and around 4000 or 4500 RPM. Next time you drive, try getting your RMP's to stay at 2500, and see if it rattles. Just a heads up.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by emub00
I have an 06 Max and used to have a clicking noise coming out of the dash...took it to the dealership, they took the dash apart 2 times and scratched one of the panels in the process...then they told me they fixed it - cause: "a loose clip"...Then I had to take it back to have the scratched panel replaced - of course, they did not have one in stock.
Thing is, from time to time still I hear that noise (although it happens quite rarely), but I do not dare to ask them to check it again- God knows what they'll break this time.
I think I finally fixed the creaking/clicking/popping noise coming from the glove box area on my 08 SL. I determined it was coming from the heater fan housing, where the top and bottom sections come together. Those are 2 plastic parts that when the car flexes/goes over rough roads, the clicking happens. I applied light lithium grease along the entire edge where the top and bottom of the housing come together and it really appears to have stopped it.

Last edited by rebound05; 02-22-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow
Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heat shield too

Originally Posted by curt7448
Same as Casanova, Mine was the heatshield as well. It kinda sounds like a tin can rattling softly on the passenger side. Mine would happen when I would be at 2500 RPM and around 4000 or 4500 RPM. Next time you drive, try getting your RMP's to stay at 2500, and see if it rattles. Just a heads up.
I had a similiar problem with the heat shileld bracket. twice.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a similiar problem with this heat shield . turned out was a bracket to the thing. had to replace twice.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I have the same rattling issue. Especially going up slight inclines at about 60+ kms. Im gonna try and see underneath, but where am I looking, is it engine side or further down? I love my car, but hate the rattle!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ahh.. I cant seem to find an answer to my issue and here it is.. The other day I replaced my rotors along with my brake pads... I began hearing a small rattle noise coming from the drivers side like down near the brake pad and as I began driving I noticed a little noise being made along with my brake pad going closer to the floor.. Yesterday I happen to be taking off down my street going about 15 mph and again heard the little clicking/rattle noise coming from the brake pedal area.. I have no idea what it is nor do I wish to bring it to the dealership to get raped lol.. anyone on here have any ideas? Thanks for any input... sorry its and 06 maxima with 111 thousand miles on it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM

I had an annoying rattle noise for awhile. turned out to be the pillar by the passenger seat was kinda loose and the two plastic peices were vibrating against eachother. Pissed me off for weeks untill I noticed it.