6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Springs installed(lowered front)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Springs installed(lowered front)

Today is a great day, Lowered the front on progress springs I ordered with the group deal. The wheel gap in the back almost looks higher now? The car corners like I wished it would from day one. The way it feels on the road and the steering feels better.

What do you guys think? Do I need to lower the back too?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Looks kind of high in the rear (altough the wheel gaps seem almost even).
Isn't installing the front springs only throw the whole balance outta whack. Isn't the car going to "dive" more? With softer rear you still get squat when stepping on it. So I guess your choice

I'll let the experts chime in on this one.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM
KC's FINEST

When I first lowered mine we did just the front. I didnt like the raked look and even more the feel. It actually felt like I was looking down in the front. Two days later I put in the rears... Much better. Handles even better with all 4.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Looks awesome! Can't wait for mine. Should be coming Monday or Tuesday to be installed Wed or Thurs. Did you change the struts too? I wonder if I should only lower the front on mine.....that stance looks good.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
When I first lowered mine we did just the front. I didnt like the raked look and even more the feel. It actually felt like I was looking down in the front. Two days later I put in the rears... Much better. Handles even better with all 4.
did the same exact thing and have the same exact thoughts!
Old 02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
SmokinMaxSE

I didn't think that the progress springs would drop the front lower than the back. Members have been saying that it evens out. I believe it when you say it handles better on all 4. I'm impressed with just the front. As long as the rear doesn't drop lower than the front again, then I'll do the rear after it the snow stops.

Originally Posted by ZOOH
Looks awesome! Can't wait for mine. Should be coming Monday or Tuesday to be installed Wed or Thurs. Did you change the struts too? I wonder if I should only lower the front on mine.....that stance looks good.
Left the stock struts in. Thanks, I like the stance too and it feels great.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:46 PM
briancopeland

Me Too!

I got MY Progress springs installed today also!!! I'm guessing we took advantage of the same sale at Cattman ;-) I also upgraded my struts to the KYB GR-2's. They were $195 for all four. Got reemed on the install: $350.

Can't give a full review yet as I only rode it around at lunch and home from work. However, so far I am very impressed with how my 05 SL looks and handles. No bounce, no roll, haven't killed myself on any bumps yet.

SO FAR ME LIKEY VERY MUCH!!!

P.S. Nice pics

Old 02-23-2007, 05:08 PM

lookin good Smokinmaxse, I am installing mine tomorrow morning. I am also only replacing the front struts (KYB) and springs (Progress) for now to see how it looks. I should have pics tomorrow afternoon. I will be attempting this myself since it seems pretty easy, at least in theory. I changed out my old Jetta suspension a couple of years ago and it took 4 hours.

Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 05:11 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by briancopeland
I got MY Progress springs installed today also!!! I'm guessing we took advantage of the same sale at Cattman ;-) I also upgraded my struts to the KYB GR-2's. They were $195 for all four. Got reemed on the install: $350.

Can't give a full review yet as I only rode it around at lunch and home from work. However, so far I am very impressed with how my 05 SL looks and handles. No bounce, no roll, haven't killed myself on any bumps yet.

P.S. Nice pics
Yep, ordered on the last day of the group deal. $350 is a good deeal for the set of struts and springs. I paid $200 at NTB for just the front springs. I have a 5year free wheel alignment, so I didn't have to pay extra for that. Took an hour and 45 minutes.

Thanks, Post pics when your done.

Originally Posted by Big Mike
lookin good Smokinmaxse, I am installing mine tomorrow morning. I am also only replacing the front struts (KYB) and springs (Progress) for now to see how it looks. I should have pics tomorrow afternoon. I will be attempting this myself since it seems pretty easy, at least in theory. I changed out my old Jetta suspension a couple of years ago and it took 4 hours.

Mike

If it was warm outside I might have gave it a thought but it's freezing. If I could see a pic of a full drop(progress) on stock 18" tires or rims then I would have a better idea of how it would look. Progress springs are great. I'll have to slow down a little going onto the drive way. When I pull off from a stop I can feel the rear go back just a little but nothing to worry about.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
Yep, ordered on the last day of the group deal. $350 is a good deeal for the set of struts and springs. I paid $200 at NTB for just the front springs. I have a 5year free wheel alignment, so I didn't have to pay extra for that. Took an hour and 45 minutes.

Thanks, Post pics when your done.

If it was warm outside I might have gave it a thought but it's freezing. If I could see a pic of a full drop(progress) on stock 18" tires or rims then I would have a better idea of how it would look. Progress springs are great. I'll have to slow down a little going onto the drive way. When I pull off from a stop I can feel the rear go back just a little but nothing to worry about.

You paid $200 to NTB for just the front Progress springs...?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
SmokinMaxSE

You paid $200 to NTB for just the front Progress springs...?
Yes. Guilty. I didn't trust some of these around the corner shops. I got way higher qoutes and didn't like the way the shop's looked. I didn't want to drive far and said **** it ! Took it back to NTB and called it a day.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was involved in the development of the Progress springs. I worked directly with them and my car was the test mule. The springs were designed to be used as a set of 4, not just for the front. My opinion is, put all 4 in.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I was involved in the development of the Progress springs. I worked directly with them and my car was the test mule. The springs were designed to be used as a set of 4, not just for the front. My opinion is, put all 4 in.
Well that's what Cattman said when I ordered. I'll have something to foward to this spring or summer. I'd be scared to drive it in the winter though lowered all the way around. The goodyears have low tread and will be my winter tire. I'm putting on summer tires.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 PM

question: if u put the progress springs on the stock struts how long do u guys think the stock struts will last?
also does ne1 know the front drop and the rear drop on the progress springs?
thanx
Old 02-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by 06maxima
question: if u put the progress springs on the stock struts how long do u guys think the stock struts will last?
also does ne1 know the front drop and the rear drop on the progress springs?
thanx

here...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=495283
Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 AM

I just finished my install of the progress springs and KYB GR2's.. cost me $0. so far I've had no problems. I've got stock 18" wheels, so I'll take pics when the sun comes up after I put in my endlinks, motor mount inserts and G35 spoiler.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:05 AM

Sun's up my friend, now about those pics? Or do I have to wait to see them in person today or tomorrow?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Too bad nobody backed me up when I called out that dude with the weird suspension setup then said I had untold wisdom...lol. Being here for 4+ years u tend to read a LOT about suspension setups and how your not suppose to run fronts only if you give 2 ***** about handling. If its purely for looks then I suppose its ok.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Glude
Too bad nobody backed me up when I called out that dude with the weird suspension setup then said I had untold wisdom...lol. Being here for 4+ years u tend to read a LOT about suspension setups and how your not suppose to run fronts only if you give 2 ***** about handling. If its purely for looks then I suppose its ok.
Yeah, I sold a guy here a set of progress springs (no, not mine) and he was only going to put the front it because he is already scraping. I told him to put the rear's in too as the only thing that really scrapes is that plastic lip (engine cover) below the bumper and putting in rear's will not make it scrape any more then it already would with fronts only.

Ramps are tricky but do'able at an angle, but then again you guys already knew that. (mentioned for some noobs)
Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Yeah, I sold a guy here a set of progress springs (no, not mine) and he was only going to put the front it because he is already scraping. I told him to put the rear's in too as the only thing that really scrapes is that plastic lip (engine cover) below the bumper and putting in rear's will not make it scrape any more then it already would with fronts only.

Ramps are tricky but do'able at an angle, but then again you guys already knew that. (mentioned for some noobs)
LOL, welcome to my world, 4" front clearance...

Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Yeah, chern I remember the vidoe with hanging wheels. I managed to go over some steep ramps and got out of the car to see it. It's sick how the wheels get lifted like that.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Yeah, chern I remember the vidoe with hanging wheels. I managed to go over some steep ramps and got out of the car to see it. It's sick how the wheels get lifted like that.
Yes and the first time I did it, Ramberg was there to whitness and filmed it for YouTube... I had to learn a whole new way of driving the car...

Last, plus 1 for installing all 4 springs. The rears are so easy to install I did it in 1/2 hour using all hand tools and a 5K jack with stands. But, your ride, your call...
Old 02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by chernmax
Yes and the first time I did it, Ramberg was there to whitness and filmed it for YouTube... I had to learn a whole new way of driving the car...

Last, plus 1 for installing all 4 springs. The rears are so easy to install I did it in 1/2 hour using all hand tools and a 5K jack with stands. But, your ride, your call...
It seems to handle better than it did before. When I take off from a stop the tires seem to not burn rubber as easily, that's a good thing for me. This spring though I might give the rears a try but for winter I won't be able to drive with the car lowered like that. They don't plow the streets around where I live and I crashed my last car into a wall because it was a low sitting car to began with and the front was pushing snow all the way home.

Do the wheels ever hit or touch the fenders? As far as looks goes, The Max managed to put a smile on a few faces including mine.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I am lowered in new york and there is no problem with me plowing the snow, we just had bunch of it and I was driving all over the place. As for Sanitation Dept plowing, didn't happen this time and the roads were effed up. Problem was when in the evening everything froze over and I couldn't find decent parking for my max, overall thou, no major problems.

Driving on NY roads (even without snow) on the other hands is a whole different story.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 AM
SmokinMaxSE

I am lowered in new york and there is no problem with me plowing the snow, we just had bunch of it and I was driving all over the place. As for Sanitation Dept plowing, didn't happen this time and the roads were effed up. Problem was when in the evening everything froze over and I couldn't find decent parking for my max, overall thou, no major problems.

Driving on NY roads (even without snow) on the other hands is a whole different story.
What tires did you do this on? The RS-A's suck and my car was spinning and sliding all over the place. When it got below 0 the tires had no off the line traction and I had to take some air out.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

You don't wanna know man. BFGoodrich G-Force, High Performance Summer Tires, extreme stickiness on any surface but not rated for snow. Great on dry and wet but not for snow.

I know, I know.....I have another set with nearly new RS-As, very bad tires but probably better traction with these then with true summer tires but after we removed one wheel, we broke the wheel lock. What a bum that was. I drove around for over a week with one totaly different rim/tire untill I found a shop that would remove the wheel locks.

McGard sucks big time. The pattern on the key just twisted off. My brother has a set with identical key (same #) and it would not fit. $40 later I had the wheel locks removed without major damage to the rim (they stripped a bit of paint around the hole). Now that there is no snow I just installed my summer set back on and looking back, driving in the snow, knock on the wood, wasn't so bad.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Do the wheels ever hit or touch the fenders? As far as looks goes, The Max managed to put a smile on a few faces including mine.
Not even close, im on coilovers and a LOT lower in the back and ive never had any rubbing issues.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 PM

Got my KYB's and Progress (front only) installed today!! I know, I know it is a weird set up:-) The car still handles better than it did with the stock front setup. I plan on swapping out the rears but I wont do it until I get the 8-way adjustables. I will post picks in about an hour.

Mike

Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 PM

How do I attach an image to my message?

Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 02:43 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Not even close, im on coilovers and a LOT lower in the back and ive never had any rubbing issues.
I can't tell while I'm driving in the car but should the tires be rubbing? One more thing, the hids are angled downward towards the ground like the front.

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Got my KYB's and Progress (front only) installed today!! I know, I know it is a weird set up:-) The car still handles better than it did with the stock front setup.

Yes the car handles wayyy better than the front stock would allow. I can swing the max across lanes now.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 AM

the rear drop with progress springs is only 0.8 inches.. and, yeah, you're front is angled downward now, making you scrape slightly more than you would if you lowered the rear. your front wheels are acting as a pivot, making the bumper lower.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by briancopeland

P.S. Nice pics
you payed 350 for the install? so a total of about 700 for the whole strut/spring package right?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by Ritz
the rear drop with progress springs is only 0.8 inches.. and, yeah, you're front is angled downward now, making you scrape slightly more than you would if you lowered the rear. your front wheels are acting as a pivot, making the bumper lower.
It's low but I have not scraped once. Rear progress is only 0.8" ????
Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by aryathegreat
you payed 350 for the install? so a total of about 700 for the whole strut/spring package right?
Yep just about. Saved a ton on parts, but got reemed on the install. Perhaps you can do better.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 PM

It's low but I have not scraped once. Rear progress is only 0.8" ????
yeah. check their website.. I think it's progressauto.com

1.8 front drop, 0.8 rear drop.. or something like that... gets the wheel gap much more even than stock..
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM

ritz, lookin for some pix, have the same list of stuff to install ! my spoiler is sitting in my room, so i far i got my progress rear sway bar in and the endlinks. just waiting for it to warm up to put in the springs and kybs
Old 02-26-2007, 06:26 AM

check my cardomain for some pics.. I'll go take some more right now... I have more than that, so if you want more, I'll post some.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM

hey guysi 'm very happy i just ordered my struts and progrees spring from cattback>brain is very nice person and myself will do business with him again
Old 02-26-2007, 01:36 PM

In terms of strickly handling I agree with you 100%. Why on earth would they sell springs in sets of (4) without them complimenting each other. For handling it's best to NOT mismatch springs.

Now, there are people like myself who want improved looks (more balance in terms of front to back stance) who actually want nice ride quality.

There is no question, with front springs only, handling will improve with lets say HR springs over the stock spring setup. So you STILL get better handling. And-looks will improve while ride quality is virtually the same. Not a bad deal. If you are maxing out your handling capabilities and have little concern on the other positives I have mentioned then do all (4) springs. Especially if you don't have +30mm offsets or less with G35 wheels like I do. I believe less positive offsets give the car a nicer stance. Another thing you have to concern yourself with when you lower the rears. So, another advantage not lowering the rears gives you more clearance with more negative offset wheels.

One can help balance out the handling even tho one has installed front springs only by adding a rear sway bar. Then to really help things out a rear set of KYB AGX shocks will really enhance the handling/balance while maintaining stock ride quality.

For people going strictly for looks they tend to go for +20 inch and beyond wheels. This will blatantly improve looks while blantanly hurting virtually every other aspect of the car(to each his own).

The great thing is WE all have our own cars to do what WE want to do with them to satisfy our own priorities within our own budgets.

Unfortunetly we have know-it-all's on this board who think they know whats best for YOU (even tho they have a different set of priorities than yourself)--and are more than happy to in a "rude obnoxious arrogant non constructive way" point out why your car is so messed up. So called "calling you out". Now granted most people of this ilk are low twenties/teens and don't know better. So let me teach you. Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself. Can we just do what we want to our own cars without hearing insidiuos things like this...

And now I present to you, the all knowing
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=511918

Here is a example of another person who messed up his car
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=497295

Again, to each his own. Live and let live...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=SmokinMaxSE]Today is a great day, Lowered the front on progress springs I ordered with the group deal. The wheel gap in the back almost looks higher now? The car corners like I wished it would from day one. The way it feels on the road and the steering feels better.

What do you guys think? Do I need to lower the back too?

First of all, car looks great!

It's up to you regarding lowering the rear too. Be careful tho...

Springs in rear;
Advantages-Superior handling, and (most importantly) certain folks will be quiet.

Disadvantages- Ride quality, looks, tires might rub with those wheels.

Quick Reply: Springs installed(lowered front)