6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Springs installed(lowered front)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
In terms of strickly handling I agree with you 100%. Why on earth would they sell springs in sets of (4) without them complimenting each other. For handling it's best to NOT mismatch springs.

Now, there are people like myself who want improved looks (more balance in terms of front to back stance) who actually want nice ride quality.

There is no question, with front springs only, handling will improve with lets say HR springs over the stock spring setup. So you STILL get better handling. And-looks will improve while ride quality is virtually the same. Not a bad deal. If you are maxing out your handling capabilities and have little concern on the other positives I have mentioned then do all (4) springs. Especially if you don't have +30mm offsets or less with G35 wheels like I do. I believe less positive offsets give the car a nicer stance. Another thing you have to concern yourself with when you lower the rears. So, another advantage not lowering the rears gives you more clearance with more negative offset wheels.

One can help balance out the handling even tho one has installed front springs only by adding a rear sway bar. Then to really help things out a rear set of KYB AGX shocks will really enhance the handling/balance while maintaining stock ride quality.

For people going strictly for looks they tend to go for +20 inch and beyond wheels. This will blatantly improve looks while blantanly hurting virtually every other aspect of the car(to each his own).

The great thing is WE all have our own cars to do what WE want to do with them to satisfy our own priorities within our own budgets.

Unfortunetly we have know-it-all's on this board who think they know whats best for YOU (even tho they have a different set of priorities than yourself)--and are more than happy to in a "rude obnoxious arrogant non constructive way" point out why your car is so messed up. So called "calling you out". Now granted most people of this ilk are low twenties/teens and don't know better. So let me teach you. Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself. Can we just do what we want to our own cars without hearing insidiuos things like this...

And now I present to you, the all knowing
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=511918

Here is a example of another person who messed up his car
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=497295

Again, to each his own. Live and let live...
If you got something to say then say it, dont beat around the bush. I know your talking about me and I dunno why, I said one comment then u became the smart *** and tried to turn it against me. The fact of the matter is that front only WILL NOT handle like it should, springs rates on the rear are completely different than the springs u installed. Regardless, I didnt knock anyone but I guess u wanna drag this on more because u couldnt handle someone elses opinion.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"If you got something to say then say it, dont beat around the bush."

I'm not beating around the bush. I pointed right to your comments.

"I know your talking about me and I dunno why"

Because you're (by the way you're using "your" in the wrong context) rude, arrogant, and refuse to acknowledge my reasoning and let it rest.

"I said one comment then u became the smart *** and tried to turn it against me."

Why shouldn't I? You bashed my setup without even asking questions on why.

"The fact of the matter is that front only WILL NOT handle like it should, springs rates on the rear are completely different than the springs u installed."

Like it should??? If I like it it's handling like it should. Period.

"Regardless, I didnt knock anyone but I guess u wanna drag this on more because u couldnt handle someone elses opinion."

You have knocked other people but in this instance me (I have read some of your post) but your claim is you didn't??? You don't seem to be handling my opinion very well sir. It was done and you dredged it up again looking for backup. I have the day off so I thought I'd amuse myself while mowing the lawn and doing household chores.

"Too bad nobody backed me up when I called out that dude with the weird suspension setup then said I had untold wisdom...lol.

Yes it was too bad. So sad...

Being here for 4+ years u tend to read a LOT about suspension setups and how your not suppose to run fronts only if you give 2 ***** about handling. If its purely for looks then I suppose its ok."

Again, spend more time learning it's "you're" not "your" and less time trolling the boards repeating what you've read like a freakin' robot. I just said the handling improved even tho I stuck in front springs only (read my man read). You are contradicting yourself. And I'm really glad you guess it's ok for purely looks. It's nice to have your ok Dr 1.8 post a day.

I suppose there has not been (in the history of mankind) anyone who has gave a $hit about handling that has ever installed front springs only!
I guess that makes me the first. Unlike your redundancy...

PM me if you want to argue some more I'm almost finished with my garage. BTW You're off the Christmas list and for Christ's sake, just let me have this last post without you replying to it-(me prays) this one time. I let you have the last one.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM

.....There is no question, with front springs only, handling will improve with lets say HR springs over the stock spring setup. So you STILL get better handling. And-looks will improve while ride quality is virtually the same. Not a bad deal.......
Really? I kinda thought that on a fwd car, the rear tends to be a bit "looser" that the front anyway, then if you tighten down the front with springs you could just exaggerate the issue......but....
.....One can help balance out the handling even tho one has installed front springs only by adding a rear sway bar. Then to really help things out a rear set of KYB AGX shocks will really enhance the handling/balance while maintaining stock ride quality........
I've always thought the rear height was fine, while the front gap was waaay to big.....You seemed to have provided an interesting solution to the problem. I've been on Progress springs (and rear sway bar) since last summer and the ride quality is a bit rougher but the handling is fantastic. I also like the look 100% better.

Pre drop pic:
See my sig for post drop pics.

Post some pics or your car and everyone who went with the front springs only keep us updated if this is really something you will stay with long term. Especially if you have any handling issues turn up.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:37 PM

just wanted to no if its weird driving with the front down like that
i would tink it would be?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

"If you got something to say then say it, dont beat around the bush."

I'm not beating around the bush. I pointed right to your comments.

"I know your talking about me and I dunno why"

Because you're (by the way you're using "your" in the wrong context) rude, arrogant, and refuse to acknowledge my reasoning and let it rest.

"I said one comment then u became the smart *** and tried to turn it against me."

Why shouldn't I? You bashed my setup without even asking questions on why.

"The fact of the matter is that front only WILL NOT handle like it should, springs rates on the rear are completely different than the springs u installed."

Like it should??? If I like it it's handling like it should. Period.

"Regardless, I didnt knock anyone but I guess u wanna drag this on more because u couldnt handle someone elses opinion."

You have knocked other people but in this instance me (I have read some of your post) but your claim is you didn't??? You don't seem to be handling my opinion very well sir. It was done and you dredged it up again looking for backup. I have the day off so I thought I'd amuse myself while mowing the lawn and doing household chores.

"Too bad nobody backed me up when I called out that dude with the weird suspension setup then said I had untold wisdom...lol.

Yes it was too bad. So sad...

Being here for 4+ years u tend to read a LOT about suspension setups and how your not suppose to run fronts only if you give 2 ***** about handling. If its purely for looks then I suppose its ok."

Again, spend more time learning it's "you're" not "your" and less time trolling the boards repeating what you've read like a freakin' robot. I just said the handling improved even tho I stuck in front springs only (read my man read). You are contradicting yourself. And I'm really glad you guess it's ok for purely looks. It's nice to have your ok Dr 1.8 post a day.

I suppose there has not been (in the history of mankind) anyone who has gave a $hit about handling that has ever installed front springs only!
I guess that makes me the first. Unlike your redundancy...

PM me if you want to argue some more I'm almost finished with my garage. BTW You're off the Christmas list and for Christ's sake, just let me have this last post without you replying to it-(me prays) this one time. I let you have the last one.
Regardless of what "he said, she said", your ride looks great, this is a forum so some opinions may not go over well. I think at this point it's irrelevant, Glude has been through a lot with the 6th Gen and without a doubt has contributed a lot to this forum, not everyone, every time will come off saying what you want to hear, however you guys should PM each other and clear up any communication problems, you may find (him too), to be quite helpful for future mods as well as all of us. Let's get back on track and leave personalities out of this, I'd hate to see the 6th Gen forum go to **** like some of the other Gen forums...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:57 AM

Looks good!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by riducati996
Looks good!
Thanks, So far the car seems to handle well. Just have to look out for bumps and pot holes.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Leave the stockers on the back! The F/R wheelgap is the same and looks awesome!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 AM

There is no question. The stance is awesome (perfect). But...

If you're going to stick with OEM/Stock rear sway bar & shocks then I would toss in the back springs and see how you like it. The handling will improve alot and only at the cost of .8 inches and I assume minimal degradation in ride quality.

Also, if you decide to go with KYB AGX's in the rear combined with the lowering rear springs it's a potent combination.

One thing is for sure-if you don't like it (once you put the rears in) you can always go back to stock springs.

You can change rear springs in as little as 30 minutes. Once the wheel is off we are talkin' (1) bolt to remove.

Tools needed...
17mm socket
17mm wrench
1 hydraulic jack
1 jack stand
1 beer (or maybe 2)
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 PM
SmokinMaxSE

There is no question. The stance is awesome (perfect). But...

If you're going to stick with OEM/Stock rear sway bar & shocks then I would toss in the back springs and see how you like it. The handling will improve alot and only at the cost of .8 inches and I assume minimal degradation in ride quality.
Well the rear is the weakest point now but I'm turning corners like a maniac and it feels like the rear sways but the front tires hooks and pulls the car straight. I never thought the stock tires could perform like they do know. Must hold the steering wheel very tight or it will yank away from my hands while turning like aggressive.

What I like about not dropping the rear is, when driving on rough road with lots of bumps. I can steer the front around the bump and let the rear go over. This helps with every day driving.

I'll be ordering a rear rsb soon.