6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Considering purchase of new 2007 Max

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 AM

Considering purchase of new 2007 Max

Hi all,
I had a couple of general questions. First, what is your opinion of the CVT?
If you like it why? If not why? A salesman told me that the only maintainance was to check the fluid level at 105K miles. Is this true?

Any other common problems and grips I would like to hear.

thanks for your time
Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I have an 04 so I can't give you a rundown on CVT but from what the guys are saying (those who own 2007) are very satisfied. Those who prefer a manual tranny are pissed of course.

As to the 105K maintenace, its bull. what he probably meant is that you won't be doing tuneup untill 105K but besides regular oil changes there are other things that need to be changed.

Here are some that come immediatelly to mind. At 30K and possibly at 60K you will need to change your tranny fluid. Your microfilter needs to be changed every 20K (based on own, others experience), lots of folks have changed their belts around 50-70K. I had all these done and am at around 44K miles....there is probably more but I'll let others chime in, perhaps those who own an 07 model.

Hope this helps
Old 03-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Follow-up

You mentioned belts. I assume you are talking about accessary drive belts.
I can't imaging this engine have timing belts. My 2000 has a chain.
Did they go backwards on this issue?
thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by mike_747
Hi all,
If you like it why? If not why? A salesman told me that the only maintainance was to check the fluid level at 105K miles. Is this true?

thanks for your time
Never trust a salesman word. Period. Some are incorrect out of ignorance, some just plain lie.

I will tell you though,
I test drove a 07 Max, black on black, and the interior is very nice. The leather looks better. The exterior also looks slightly more attractive. I'm sure you won't have a problem with the CVT, especially considering the fact that it can probably handle all the mods that are out there for the 6th Gen.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Hi all,

thanks for your time
In reference to the CVT... check the thread below this one. Lots of info there.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=513121
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
As to the 105K maintenace, its bull. what he probably meant is that you won't be doing tuneup untill 105K but besides regular oil changes there are other things that need to be changed.

We change the cvt fluid every 30k at the nissan dealer i work at. I have driven a few cvt cars. in my opinion there neet but i would rather have the option of going with the manual. they also dont feel like they have that tourque feel the non cvt cars had
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Correct
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my CVT.

THE END
Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM

CVT is a gift from NISSAN to us 07' Owners

just like Vinn said...

I love my CVT.

THE END

but oh, I love my baby.

Looks Oh So Beautiful, Drives Like A Beast, Comfortable Like Home Sweet Home, Sounds Like Your Home Theatre and Most of it All, Turns Heads Wherever You Go.

So Would I Get It? Hell Yeah. 8500 Kms. No Issues Here. Have Done Some Mods, Check Out My Sig. Questions? Feel Free To Ask.

P.S - I don't know why so many people are putting CVT down but let me tell you this, it does not compromise on power - hell, it's even smoother and gives you maximum power right away. Trust Me, I love this car.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM

I can't imaging this engine have timing belts. My 2000 has a chain.
Did they go backwards on this issue?
thanks
No, the current motor has a chain from what I've heard, and read here.

And, as all the others say...I LOVE MY CVT!!!! Such an awesome feeling, so smooth.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 PM

Mike 747 - Your salesman is slightly confused.

The 6th gen auto trannys and CVTs require that the tranny fluid MUST be replaced at 105,000 miles . . .

BUT REPLACED SOONER if the inspections which are required EVERY 15,000 MILES give any indication that the fluid is dirty, discolored, burnt, or otherwise not in good shape.

Nissan trannys are very well built, have good reputations, and can take a lot of abuse. There were times in the past where I would go 75,000 miles between tranny fluid changes with my Maximas, and the tranny did great. But I wouldn't recommend that.

Trannys used in difficult conditions (towing, agressive driving, unusually hot or cold climes, unpaved roads, etc) should probably have the fluid changed around 20,000 miles.

Trannys used in normal driving could easily go 60,000 miles between changes, BUT, the nature of auto trannys (and probably CVTs) is that they seem to do better when the fluid is changed earlier in their life.

I would feel you would not go wrong by changing the fluid at 30,000 miles. At one time, I would have said that is a little early, but auto tranny engineers seem to feel changing early is better than changing late, so I will go with that.

EDIT - As to the '07, I have heard of no real problems with the Maxima CVT, and love the improved interior and the more agressive facia with the foglights down where they should have been from day one. As for the CVT, love it or hate it, I feel it may well be the primary tranny for the near future. I'm not sure it is better than the current 5 speed yet, but it is still a relatively young technology, and I feel it has a promising upside.

Go for it!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM

Trans. fluid changes, input from independents

Thanks for all the input you guys (& gals?)
Anyway I called a local transmission shop and asked if they serviced CVTs.
They said they did and recomended service every 30,000 miles or two years which is what I currently do. I also add a bottle of lube guard and my 5 speed shifts even smoother.
I asked if the fluid in the 07 max CVT is unique and he said is was unique, kind of like a synthetic auto trans fluid.
I'm glad the independents can service these things - hate the dealers and only use them for warrantee work.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:17 AM

Difference between the SE and SL

I had one more question. Is the ~$3,000 price difference for the SL money well spent? What are the basic differences between the SE and SL? I assume the SL has a softer suspention. Are there certain features on the SL that are standard but cost extra on the SE?

thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 06:44 AM

Mike, these have been questions (re:trannies) I have been asking lately as well.
I have an '05' with the 5 speed auto tranny. I have been taught that you should change it at 30-then 60k. When I hit 30k, both Nissan dealerships said not to flush it yet. It would have been a waste, according to them.

I agree with Light.....Check it often. If it needs it, change it. The service booklet doesn't spell it out for us 5spd auto fellows/gals. The CVT is recommened/optional for those who have that tranny.

Good Luck!

Swee
Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM

I had one more question. Is the ~$3,000 price difference for the SL money well spent? What are the basic differences between the SE and SL? I assume the SL has a softer suspention. Are there certain features on the SL that are standard but cost extra on the SE?

thanks

I don't believe when it comes down to it the SL is actually 3K more. It may come close to that if you compare two base models, but when I went shopping around for a loaded Max, the SL just included the features that you pay more for with the SE. I preferred the wood grain interior of the SL and never felt like I was spending that much more to get the higher model.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The suspensions are identical for 07. The SL will come standard with more features while the SE starts below 30k.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:55 AM

Mike_747 - As Nietzsche suggested above, the more comfy ride of the SL is now obtained more by the higher profile tires (more sidewall to flex) than by a different suspension.

If you want lots of nice features, the SL is the better buy, as getting the same features on an SE runs the final bill slightly higher than an equally equipped SL.

The SL has such things standard as HID headlights, leather seats, dual power heated outside mirrors, BOSE audio system, Radio Data System (RDS) with automatic volume control, eight speakers include two woofers and two tweeters, satellite radio prewiring, digital compass in rearview mirror, four way power front passenger seat and heated front seats (two settings).

Every one of these features must be obtained via extra cost option packages on the SE.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

thanks
At this point there is not much different between the SL and the SE... the only "hard" differences from the factory are the wood grain trim and different wheel tire combo. Anything else is just a matter of options.

In earlier generations, there were three trim levels on the Maxima with the GXE being the base and the GLE & SE both being upmarket trim levels, one being luxury oriented and the other being sport oriented. There were significant differences between SE and the other trim levels that made it a much sportier model, and the luxury items of the GLE were always available, so the SE was truly the epitome of the 4DSC kingdom. Personally I would have bought another car entirely before I would have ever considered a GLE - chrome, wood trim and floppy suspensions are just not my thing.

In the 6th gen, Nissan has cut costs and eliminated the GXE trim level, forcing the SE to serve as both the base and the sport Maxima. This kills me as it has lost its "SEness" as a result. No more upgraded suspension... no more unique instrument package, it now has too much chrome just like the other models always had, and worst of all, as of 07, no more manual tranny.

Personally, I would never ever consider an SL - based on history, I still see it as an inferior model to the SE and as being "my father's Maxima". I couldn't drive a car that carried that stigma. But, in reality, there is no longer any substantive difference between the two models and it comes down to whether you like the wood trim or not. Also, some folks prefer cloth seats and you can't get them in the SL. That leaves the wheel/tire combo as the remaining difference - which can be changed on either car easily, if not inexpensively.

With exception of a having, for me, a much too underdamped suspension, my '07 has been terrific. I certainly have no trouble or complaints with the CVT.

Good luck with your shopping!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 AM

I am new to this forum and cant post threads yet but just wanted to say i traded an 06 Mustang GT that was constantly in the shop on a demo 06 SE Maxima and so far am glad i did, even though i got hosed by the dealer, 28 k out the door, ouch, but was so mad at Ford i did it anyway. I drove alot of Nissan products in the mid 90s managing a car rental company and always liked them. My maxima so far seems great, only gripe is some shudder upon braking, seems like the brake rotors. Ive read about the Goodyear tire problems, mine look ok and dont have enough miles to really show any wear, if i can get 20 k out of them ill be happy and replace with Dunlops. The exhaust is way too choked down for me, no tone at all. Other than that the car is light years ahead of the Mustang even though they are different types of cars i dont miss Fords crappy treatment of me and will never buy Big 3 again.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 PM

XBone,

I am also in Upstate SC. I know you can't receive pm's yet. We meet on Sunday nights (The SC Maxima Group). Let me know if you are interested.

Swee
Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am also considering purchasing an 07 Maxima. I test drove it the other day and I really liked it. I have read on the forums that initially,the gas mileage is pretty bad. How bad is it? Anyone have any gripes about their 07? From what I have read, the Maxima has been fairly reliable. Anyone have any major issues with theirs? I want to get a car that is going to be reliable because I plan on keeping this car for 7 or 8 years. Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SanJoJoe
I am also considering purchasing an 07 Maxima. I test drove it the other day and I really liked it. I have read on the forums that initially,the gas mileage is pretty bad. How bad is it? Anyone have any gripes about their 07? From what I have read, the Maxima has been fairly reliable. Anyone have any major issues with theirs? I want to get a car that is going to be reliable because I plan on keeping this car for 7 or 8 years. Any feedback will be much appreciated.
I freaked out when I was getting 16mpg initially in the city, 18-19 if I was SUPER SUPER SUPER easy on it (read: slower than my grandma) and I was told by other 07 owners that it would get better after break-in (5000 miles or so) I'm at about 2200 miles now, and I get 18mpg easy (even with the occasional bouts of rapid acceleration). I'll be happy when I see 20 in the city. Any more than 20 and I'll be doing backflips.

Oh, also, talk to the guys at Stevens Creek (unless you've already got a dealership picked out) they do more volume than Capitol.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tehaviator
I freaked out when I was getting 16mpg initially in the city, 18-19 if I was SUPER SUPER SUPER easy on it (read: slower than my grandma) and I was told by other 07 owners that it would get better after break-in (5000 miles or so) I'm at about 2200 miles now, and I get 18mpg easy (even with the occasional bouts of rapid acceleration). I'll be happy when I see 20 in the city. Any more than 20 and I'll be doing backflips.

Oh, also, talk to the guys at Stevens Creek (unless you've already got a dealership picked out) they do more volume than Capitol.
We purchased our Titan at Stevens Creek and got an awesome deal at the end of the year. I am planning on buying mine in November or December, so hopefully I can get a really good deal. I will consider Stevens Creek, but I am going to talk to a family friend who has been in the business for years and see if he has any contacts.