6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

deuski is doing good. I happen to speak both.

BTW, I was in San Francisco this past weekend and the prices of gas $4.00 / gallon are nuts.

Szto oni ohujeli?
Co oni ocipieli?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
deuski is doing good. I happen to speak both.

BTW, I was in San Francisco this past weekend and the prices of gas $4.00 / gallon are nuts.

Szto oni ohujeli?
Co oni ocipieli?
Shto ty poviedal?
Calkowicie

Any updates on the rear 350z brakes yet DEUSKI?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Spaceeba. The calipers are due to arrive Wednesday. I will paint them red before mounting them as well as the cross drilled, slotted, AND painted vented rotors
Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Brakes calipers have arrived. I notice that that Z front pads are smaller than our OEM pads. Interesting. I am cleaning up the rear calipers and preparing them for painting. I sanded the exposed surface some to make it smoother. Ill prime, paint and clear coat it before installing. Pics to follow soon.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Brakes calipers have arrived. I notice that that Z front pads are smaller than our OEM pads. Interesting. I am cleaning up the rear calipers and preparing them for painting. I sanded the exposed surface some to make it smoother. Ill prime, paint and clear coat it before installing. Pics to follow soon.
Yeah but did they fit?
Kamski
Old 05-23-2007, 09:09 PM

I am prepping them now. Maybe Ill get em on tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 AM

I painted one 350z caliper and I am going to test fit it on the car with the vented 350z rotor. Of course, I'll post before and after pics.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 PM
.org extraordinaire

pics Deuski PICS!!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 AM

Here is a teaser. Ill trial fit these tomorrow:
Old 05-25-2007, 08:17 AM

red hat, slotted/drilled rotors... that just shouts for unwanted attention and is a braking performance decreaser! lol imo though
Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Wow I like those rotors!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
red hat, slotted/drilled rotors... that just shouts for unwanted attention and is a braking performance decreaser! lol imo though
not necessarily Dan, while the drilled rotors may have smaller contact area the whole system overall might be an upgrade.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
.org extraordinaire

Here is a teaser. Ill trial fit these tomorrow:
TOMMOROW!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:52 AM

not necessarily Dan, while the drilled rotors may have smaller contact area the whole system overall might be an upgrade.
Slotted rotors would be a slight upgrade if you go psycho on spirited driving, but the drilled is just over kill and takes away a lot of surface area for the pad to "grab" onto and it will also most likely not be possible to get the rotors "cut" when needed. I was wanting to get slotted rotors, but ended up going with blanks due to the benefits that blanks have over slotted.

blanks>slotted>drilled..........<BBK
Old 05-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Remember, these brakes are vented over our solid disc. Ill try to make time to test fit them tonight after work.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
.org extraordinaire

Slotted rotors would be a slight upgrade if you go psycho on spirited driving, but the drilled is just over kill and takes away a lot of surface area for the pad to "grab" onto and it will also most likely not be possible to get the rotors "cut" when needed. I was wanting to get slotted rotors, but ended up going with blanks due to the benefits that blanks have over slotted.

blanks>slotted>drilled..........<BBK

errrrr............

y do all performance cars come with drilled rotors? Because you vent the heated gas outwards away from the contact area. No matter how new and improved pads are thease days u will have have to have vented or drilled for optimum braking. Anything else you hear is a plain and blatant lie.

Why use drilled or slotted discs?
Drilling or slotting discs aids the disc in several ways:

The edges of the slots or holes continuously clean and refresh the pad surface as well as providing increased brake "bite". Additionally, they prevent gasses from collecting between the pad and disc interface.
The disc is lightened, thereby decreasing its rotational inertia.
Improved ventilation increases the disc's ability to shed heat, resulting in cooler operating temperatures.
Please read this... written by Brembo engineers.

http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/faq.html#q18

Kamski
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
.org extraordinaire

you guys have to see thease rear brakes. WOW!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by chernmax
Wow I like those rotors!!!
Chern, time to order your set. LOL
Kamski
Old 05-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Slotted I would MAYBE do, but drilled, definitely not. IMO, "performance cars" such as Benz and BMW have drilled rotors because those cars can do extremely spirited driving and weigh A LOT, and would need that "ventilation," and imo, it's just an excuse for the dealership to mark up the prices on the rotors and pads for the "performance models"

Why doesn't Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or many other super cars have drilled rotors?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 PM
.org extraordinaire

Slotted I would MAYBE do, but drilled, definitely not. IMO, "performance cars" such as Benz and BMW have drilled rotors because those cars can do extremely spirited driving and weigh A LOT, and would need that "ventilation," and imo, it's just an excuse for the dealership to mark up the prices on the rotors and pads for the "performance models"

Why doesn't Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or many other super cars have drilled rotors?
Who told u that bro!!

http://www.drivewire.com/porschepart...rakerotor.html

Look up the parts online. LOL they all come with top notch drilled rotors.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 PM

Yeah they alllll come with drilled rotors - Ferrari Lamborghini, Mercedes, BMW, etc.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:04 PM

me away, but ima stick to what I've heard
Old 05-26-2007, 06:40 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
errrrr............

y do all performance cars come with drilled rotors? Because you vent the heated gas outwards away from the contact area.
First of all, the "performance cars" come with drilled rotors as a primarily cosmetic upgrade - we all know they look nicer. Second of all, all of the high-end cars mentioned have rotors that are CAST with holes in them, which does not compromise the strength of the rotor. Conversely, almost all of the "aftermarket" rotors for our cars and most other street cars are cast as blanks, and the holes are drilled into them. This compromises the strength of the rotor, as you should know as someone who has been to the track before. I can't count how many times I've seen cars at the track develop hairline cracks near the drill holes on their rotors. Rarely do you see the problem on cars using blanks. Almost all of the serious racers at Solo1 events run blanks. The only cars you see with XD rotors at these events are usually n00bs or guys who have body kits on the cars.

No matter how new and improved pads are thease days u will have have to have vented or drilled for optimum braking. Anything else you hear is a plain and blatant lie.
You are completely wrong. Drilled rotors were created to vent gases created by organic brake pads when heated. Back then, most pads were organic. "These days" almost nobody uses organic pads, and have switched to ceramic and semi-metallic pads, which do not emit the fade-inducing pressurized gas to the same extent as organics. Drilled or slotted rotors will do NOTHING for a car that is using a quality modern pad, at least in a street-driven application. At the track, they may be a minor advantage to using slotted, only because some pads put out excessive dust/material at high braking temps (i.e. you chose the wrong pad). As far as drilled.....I would never put them anywhere near my car.

Please read this... written by Brembo engineers.

http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/faq.html#q18

Kamski
Do you believe everything you read from "engineers?" Brembo is like any other company - they distort the truth for marketing purposes. If drilled/slotted rotors are actually superior to blanks, why does Brembo even SELL blanks?

But hey, if you believe everything car companies tell you, you might be interested in this:

Originally Posted by Turbonator engineers
The Turbonator’s airflow dynamic is designed to improve your vehicle’s air intake system by creating a more efficient airflow path throughout the intake hose. As air travels through an intake it bounces around bends and elbows in the hose causing it to slow down. Spinning air can be less susceptible to these abrupt changes in direction.

Once this redirected air reaches the engine, it can produce a swirling, fast burn effect in the combustion chamber to create finer particles of atomized fuel, allowing better flame propagation and more complete combustion. Swirling air has longer residence time with fuel than flat air. Since the air spins through the fuel rather than just shooting through in a straight line, it spends more time mixing with the gasoline in your engine.

Once people here understand that there is no way, shape, or form that crossdrilled rotors will improve their maxima's braking performance...the better they will be. Slotted may have a marginal upside in some applications, but for the most part they just kill your pad life on a street-driven car.

There is nothing wrong with drilled, as long as you don't mined reduced pad life, reduced rotor life, possibility of rotor cracking, and higher liklihood of brake nose.

People need to simply admit that they bought them for looks, and leave it at that. There's nothing wrong with cosmetic mods, as long as people recognize that they are cosmetic, and not performance (see: "body kit").
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 AM
retired moderator

Also another thing to keep in mind:

what stops your car? The friction of the pads and rotor surface.

why do people get BBks's with oversized rotors? To get a better caliper AND a larger rotor swept area.

what happens when you drill or slot a rotor? You REDUCE the contact area between the pad and rotor.

Sure, it's probably only a very small amount. But since we're arguing "things that don't make a difference on a street-driven car...."
Old 05-26-2007, 08:08 AM

I had to call for the so we got him
Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 PM
.org extraordinaire

Pad fade occurs for several reasons. All friction materials have a coefficient of friction curve over temperature. Friction materials have an optimal working temperature where the coefficient of friction is the highest. Sometimes you can use the brakes so hard that you get the temperature over the point of maximum friction to where the coefficient of friction curve starts to decline.

The mechanics of this decline in the coefficient of friction are varied. At a certain temperature, certain elements of the pad can melt or smear causing a lubrication effect, this is the classic glazed pad. Usually the organic binder resin starts to go first, then even the metallic elements of the friction material can start to melt. At really high temperatures the friction material starts to vaporize and the pad can sort of hydroplane on a boundary layer of vaporized metal and friction material which acts like a lubricant. Pad fade is felt as a car that still has a decent, non mushy feeling brake pedal that won't stop even if you are pushing as hard as you can. Usually it builds somewhat slowly giving you time to compensate for it, but some friction materials have a sudden drop off of friction when the heat is put on them resulting in sudden dangerous fade.
That just seems like common sense. It doest not matter how new the technology in the pads is, under extreme braking the pad will vent boundry gas and your basically FCUKED coming into that hard hair pin unless you can vent out that gas.

Yes I do fully agree that cast holes are far far better then drilled holes. And yes Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, RennTech, Laborghini use cast hole rotors. But those companies have rotors made specifially for them. If brembo or RTP made cast hole rotors for our cars I would be running them right now.

If you trully believe that F1, Nascar, Cascar, WRX, Dakkar Raly and various other forms of motor sports dont run holled Rotors then you trully have a blind over yours eyes.

Plain rotors are just that, to be used on plain car for getting groceries. If you use your car for getting groceries only then enjoy plain rotors, nice and quiet, they wont terrorize your pads and the missus will be happy.

If your going to put your car through the paces at Lone Pines, Mosport DDT, or Cayuga Raceway, then for god sakes use a performance rotor with an agressive pad.

Nuff said.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:49 PM
.org extraordinaire

No wait.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/002-...-SRP/index.asp

So your telling me, Wilwood, Brembo, StopTech and ProjectMu engineers are wrong and you are correct?

You better be off to re-educate them cause they seem to have it all wrong.

Same with all the big race teams, some one ought to tell them that drilled/cast hole rotors are causing them to have longer stopping distances due to less contact area.

Damn, looks like the planet is upside down. Time to re-educate everyone.

At the end of the day, I run slotted. But I did drill little holes at the end of the slots to improve shedding of the pad buildup from the slots them selves.

Kamski
Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

You go Kam, no matter how new the pads are all pads release gasses. Even if the amount is small(er) they need to be vented. Most (if not) all BBKs comes with drilled and slotted rotors. If the were not good for you I don't care about any opinion but AMG wouldn't put them on. I said AMG because I strickly believe they go for performance far more then for looks. Oh and BTW the new ceramic rotors are drilled too.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:45 PM
.org extraordinaire

You go Kam, no matter how new the pads are all pads release gasses. Even if the amount is small(er) they need to be vented. Most (if not) all BBKs comes with drilled and slotted rotors. If the were not good for you I don't care about any opinion but AMG wouldn't put them on. I said AMG because I strickly believe they go for performance far more then for looks. Oh and BTW the new ceramic rotors are drilled too.
AMEN BROTHER AMEN!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Also another thing to keep in mind:

what stops your car? The friction of the pads and rotor surface.

why do people get BBks's with oversized rotors? To get a better caliper AND a larger rotor swept area.

what happens when you drill or slot a rotor? You REDUCE the contact area between the pad and rotor.

Sure, it's probably only a very small amount. But since we're arguing "things that don't make a difference on a street-driven car...."
What stops a car best is a combination of Pads, Rotors, brake lines and sticky tires. You can have the biggest BBK in the world on your car and with inferior tires, slide, slide, slide.

I personally got my drilled/slotted rotors for the looks, however I have not had warping problems like many have experienced with the nissan blanks...
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 AM

Chern, time to order your set. LOL
Kamski
Actually I may order the red set this week and have my old ones swapped out when I install my EBC ceramic brake pads...

Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
The parking brake in the Maxima is located inside of the small drum that sorrounds the hub of the rear wheels. It is a small drum brake system and should not impact the rear disk brakes. I assume (but don't know) that the 350Z has the same parking brake system, so new 350Z rotors should have a similar small drum in the center.
Isn't the same system on the G35 coupe and sedan? How do you adjust this?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 PM

G35 system is highly like;ly the same sinc`e the rotors are the same. U adjust it by turning the middle notched little "wheel" which expands the shoes. Here is a pic:

Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 AM

G35 system is highly like;ly the same sinc`e the rotors are the same. U adjust it by turning the middle notched little "wheel" which expands the shoes. Here is a pic:
Thanks dude!