6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Rotorpro Drill/Slotted disc with EBC "red stuff" ceramic brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 AM

Hey Chern, I have a couple more questions.

What caliper paint did you use and where did you get your Nissan stickers for the fronts? I'm thinking that while I have the calipers off anyway to do the brake lines, why not paint them? Think I'll do them black with silver letters which should look good with the black center rotors.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very nice indeed Chernmax! Car is red HOT!

Active Tuning was wise to sponsor you. You ought to have them throw some Koni's your way.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:12 AM

Very nice setup, looks great on your car. I usually agonize over every mod, but I may very well just make a leap and follow your lead on this one since I have a lot of respect for your judgement. Plus, can't beat the price!

It's weird on the guy's ebay online store though he seems to be selling the same 4 rotors for $155 and $229. I might have to email him about that.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by DTinVA
Hey Chern, I have a couple more questions.

What caliper paint did you use and where did you get your Nissan stickers for the fronts? I'm thinking that while I have the calipers off anyway to do the brake lines, why not paint them? Think I'll do them black with silver letters which should look good with the black center rotors.
There are different caliper paint brands available but I prefer the G2 caliper paint kit over others...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Very nice indeed Chernmax! Car is red HOT!

Active Tuning was wise to sponsor you. You ought to have them throw some Koni's your way.
Thanks bro and yes Koni will be next...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by chernmax
There are different caliper paint brands available but I prefer the G2 caliper paint kit over others...
Was one kit good for all 4 calipers?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=VQPRO]chris your rotors are in the right direction ,i install rotors on altimas , and a couple of maximas and g35 , this is the direction stillen and brakepros suggest

I sent you a PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM

Chern. How hard was it to change the pads and rotors. Someone quoted me 2 hundey. Thought that was too much. What are the caliper torque specs are is it that important.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:00 PM

Those are definitely looking good. I'm not a fan of black looking rims but they really offset the ride a whole lot.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM

The calipers are the same with this setup, so I wouldn't have to worry about any fitment issues with my aftermarket wheels right?

And what is a fair install price for this, it's not something I could do alone.

edit: Also, is that paint kit something you can get at a local Auto Parts store, or is it sold online somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:54 PM

Hey Chern,

Nice set-up and I have never seen centers painted like that. I did paint mine silver to match my silver rotors and silver car...Red on Silver on Red calipers looks cool too! I'm not a big fan of slots as they tend to wear out break pads quickly in heavy stop/go traffic or hard braking. On the other hand, gas builds up between the pad and the rotor during heavy or repeated braking, resulting in brake fade. This gas actually keeps the pad from touching the rotor. Slotted rotors give this gas an avenue of escape, keeping the pads in contact with the rotor. It should also be noted that the slots on better rotors are only milled to the depth of the usable thickness of the rotor, which maintains rotor integrity.

Obviously Maryland roads are really smooth...I should know I drove through Maryland on more than one occasion and have enjoyed the beautiful beaches which is the best kept secret up here!

I love your wheels, however they would not stand up to the punishment of our bad roads up here in Montreal. Watch the pots holes....

Chern....keeping us proud!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM

Hoping someone will address my questions above, thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 AM

I like the look... Good job.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 AM

Ok, so I went to one advance auto parts store and they had only red of caliper paint, and I didn't want to go with that brand until I exhausted my other options (i.e. Pep Boys)

In the meantime - CHERN - where DID you get those stickers for your calipers?? Also, early on you said there was minimal dust, how are you finding the brake dust level to be compared to OEM or your previous pads after a couple weeks?

And if Dues or anyone reads this and can answer - are the 350Z rotors different from the maxima rotors? I am all set to buy them from the guy on ebay but noticed Dues said he had 350Z rotors, so I want to ensure I'm getting the right thing.

Also: Part number/pricing from buybrakes.com
BC-DP31666C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads - Rear 1 $55.22 $55.22
EBC-DP31659C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads - Front 1 $83.30 $83.30
Shipping: Ground: $0.00 ((((FREE GROUND SHIPPING = SWEEEET))))
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $138.52

And ONE more edit.....I just called a local brake shop "Just Brakes" which I think is a chain, and the guy quoted me over the phone $56 to install all 4 rotors with the new pads. He said that was for a pair, then when I asked for all four he said he'd do them all for $56.

So then:
Pads, Front & Rear = 138.52
Rotors, Front & Rear = $196
Installation quoted from Just Brakes $56
Total
$390.52

So if I can get some answers on the rotors and stickers I'm ready to order!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by chernmax
My ride is a daily driver and the last set I had worked flawlessly for 2+ years and 22K miles. I'm also keeping them as emergency spares. Last, the only threads I have seen about damaged rotors on this forum have been about OEM rotors warping.

Nice!!!

Thanks for the info!!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen

And if Dues or anyone reads this and can answer - are the 350Z rotors different from the maxima rotors? I am all set to buy them from the guy on ebay but noticed Dues said he had 350Z rotors, so I want to ensure I'm getting the right thing.

I PM you. Maxima rotors and 350z rotors are same diameter but Maxima rotors are NOT vYou need both calipers and rotors to convert to 350Z. By the way, i LOVE the brake feel now. Very solid!!! (300zx TT fronts and 350z rears.)
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Brakes Ordered!

Deus, Thanks for the PM - yours and Chern's cleared things right up! Also thanks for inspiring me to make a snazzy upgrade at a time when I need to get my brakes looked at anyways.

My final word (until I install and get pics):
I ordered:
Nissan arched decals in Battleship Grey from: http://www.xenonmods.com/ ($8.99)
EBC Redstuff brake pads from buybrakes.com (see above for links) ($138.52)
Rotorpro Rotors from Ebay in Gloss Black ($226)
If the shop holds to their $56 installation for these items my grand total will be $429.51 plus caliper paint.

edit, I got an email from the ebay seller trying to upsell me on 'premium' pads. I thought this was a little cheesy but no bother.:
Old 07-10-2007, 02:15 PM

My pleasure Smoke. Post pics when you're done.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
GrandPa

I just ordered the white Nissan decals.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 AM

those look great!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Deus, Thanks for the PM - yours and Chern's cleared things right up! Also thanks for inspiring me to make a snazzy upgrade at a time when I need to get my brakes looked at anyways.

My final word (until I install and get pics):
I ordered:
Nissan arched decals in Battleship Grey from: http://www.xenonmods.com/ ($8.99)
EBC Redstuff brake pads from buybrakes.com (see above for links) ($138.52)
Rotorpro Rotors from Ebay in Gloss Black ($226)
If the shop holds to their $56 installation for these items my grand total will be $429.51 plus caliper paint.

edit, I got an email from the ebay seller trying to upsell me on 'premium' pads. I thought this was a little cheesy but no bother.:

If they install pads and rotors on all 4 wheels, I will be very surprised for $56. That may be per axle and that is still a good deal. Hope you get it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Where is my shirt?

What about these other ebay ones???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...38252363QQrdZ1
Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey grimmax i think i saw your car today, were you in syosset?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 AM

OK, so I have a survey question for everyone. Which side of the car is "Left"? Drivers or Passengers?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 AM

drivers is left side. its always better to specify drivers and passenger side when referencing the car.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 AM

Exactly what I thought, Left is drivers and why the F!@#$ would they mark them L & R instead of D & P ?? So anwyays I'll spare the drama and cut to the chase. I have a picture which I haven't transferred to the computer yet which shows the package of the front rotor as I was opening it. The box is marked "L" and the slots are opposite of what I expected them to be after following this thread. So now I have the rotors installed (per the manufacturers recommendation) and the slots are leaning toward the rear of the car, not the front of the car like Chern's.... so why would they be different (a question for the rotorpros guy) and does it matter much??

Also, Chern druing your break in period did you notice a low, quiet humming noise when engaging the brakes?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Exactly what I thought, Left is drivers and why the F!@#$ would they mark them L & R instead of D & P ?? So anwyays I'll spare the drama and cut to the chase. I have a picture which I haven't transferred to the computer yet which shows the package of the front rotor as I was opening it. The box is marked "L" and the slots are opposite of what I expected them to be after following this thread. So now I have the rotors installed (per the manufacturers recommendation) and the slots are leaning toward the rear of the car, not the front of the car like Chern's.... so why would they be different (a question for the rotorpros guy) and does it matter much??

Also, Chern druing your break in period did you notice a low, quiet humming noise when engaging the brakes?
Actually IMO it doesn't matter much direction, I installed mine like the last set I had successfully on my car for over 2 years, even the STILLEN slotted rotors face forward. As for quiet humming, I honestly cannot say I heard any humming from my brakes during the rotor/pad break in period...

Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 AM

I just did the Rotorpro / Red Stuff / ss lines conversion too. No noticable hum -- noise at all.

I just have to re-learn how to brake with significantly shorter braking distances! Thanks to chern and others for advice.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Mine are on, but opposite the way Cherns is. Again, it doesnt matter usually, however the way I have it on is in a sweeping motion.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM

I had the humming and it got worse and worse .... I took the pads back off to notice that they were disintegrating at the edges. Put my OEM's back on and will be contacting EBC and buying some hawks. I still have humming with the OEM's but not as bad and I'm getting rotor jerk in the wheel when stopping. Not sure why. Will have to look into it this weekend.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 PM

I got the posi quiets extended wear metalics that were recommended and i am very happy with the rotorpros and pads. I belive they are made by axxis or bendex. there was some noise initially as the piston can only be pushed back so far. the noise should subside over a couple of days.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by thecritik
I had the humming and it got worse and worse .... I took the pads back off to notice that they were disintegrating at the edges. Put my OEM's back on and will be contacting EBC and buying some hawks. I still have humming with the OEM's but not as bad and I'm getting rotor jerk in the wheel when stopping. Not sure why. Will have to look into it this weekend.
Wow sorry to hear that, mine have been performing flawlessly with no noise, did you do the install yourself or some shop???
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Is there anything special that you need to do during the break in period? And how long is that anyways?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
.org extraordinaire

Listen to your pal Kamski and Deuski, we both autoX. Try swapping the rotors from left to right with the slots pointing from the hub outwards... basically opposite of Chernmax.

I have mine that way, the slots dont cut the pad, they sweep it, makes it a little more quiet and a little more friendly on the pad. Its not huuge but noticable. Give it a shot and let us know.

Kamski
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
.org extraordinaire

Whats the word on our situation?

Kamski
Old 07-27-2007, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Whats the word on our situation?

Kamski
Ok just so we're clear. If i'm looking at the rotor, I have the slots like a forward slash " / ". The same as Chern in the beginning of this post. Are you saying to turn them around or leave them in that direction. I noticed when I ripped off the EBC's they were chipping and disintegrating around the edges, which would explain the loud humming but why would this happen?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 AM

Where does one get a caliper painting kit from?

Also, will these slotted/drilled rotors ruin brake pads faster?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:50 PM

IMO, I don't think it's necessarily the direction of the rotors causing the problem but more of improper break-in. These rotors are new and so are the pads, heavy braking on coarse new rotors will tear up the pads easily. During my break-in period I did nothing but light braking and long stops until I rolled on them for at least 500 miles. The rotors are now smooth and shiny and the car brakes flawlessly. I'm not saying this is the answer but IMO, suspect!!!