6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rotor Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Rotor Installation Help

So I'm trying to install the new front rotors today (already did the backs no problem). It appears the front rotors have 2 larger bolts that I do not have the socket or wrench for, rears were 14 and 19 mm. They are also on there VERY tight, so my wrench isn't making it budge. Does anyone know what size those 2 larger bolts are? I am debating going out and buying a large socket for it. I am supposed to be going counter clockwise to take it off too right (sanity check)?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Well...its 22 mm...

I got 1 off. I am having the hardest time getting the top one off. Any suggestions? I used both my arms on the socket. I tried banging on the socket with a rubber mallet. I'm stumped at how to get this caliper off so I can do my rotor!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:10 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Have you tried penetrating oil? Soak the bolt with oil and let it sit for a while then try it again. Repeat this process a few times. You can also try tightening it a little then try and loosen it. If you have an impact wrench, use that. If not, tap the head of the bolt with a hammer. The most important thing when trying to free a stuck bolt is patience. I can't count the number of times I've put myself in a far worse situation by being impatient.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Alright. I got them all off / on. Now I think something is rubbing. After a few hard brakes, it started doing it. It almost looked like smoke coming off the passenger front tire. I'm letting it cool down now. No idea what it could be at this point...was worried about a punctured tire...luckily I was close to home when it started happening...was hitting all the neighborhood stop signs.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM

Did you follow the bedding in process for your new pads? They should have come with instructions for that process.

Usually something like mild braking from 40 to 0 mph and then drive till cool (a couple of minutes) then repeat 4 more times. Follow by urban driving with no heavy footed braking for a couple of hundred miles. Then followed by a final bedding process of braking from 60 to 10 mph (no stopping) let brakes cool then repeat 4 more times.

That is what was reccomended for my EBC Red Stuff pads that I put on a couple of weeks ago. Did the final bedding this week and they work like champs. Much shorter stops and better feel thru the peddle.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Alright. I got them all off / on. Now I think something is rubbing. After a few hard brakes, it started doing it. It almost looked like smoke coming off the passenger front tire. I'm letting it cool down now. No idea what it could be at this point...was worried about a punctured tire...luckily I was close to home when it started happening...was hitting all the neighborhood stop signs.
3 possible causes.........

1: you didn't compress the pistons enough (did you have to force the caliper back on?

2: the caliper is bad (unlikely/randomn that it would happen)

3: the rubber brake hose has collapsed internally and is holding pressure in the line even after releasing the pedal.

the only way to know if it is option 2 is by eliminating 3 & 1, to test for a bad line press the pedal a few times and while it is sticking (ie can't turn rotor or wheel) then simply crack the bleeder screw loose, if cracking the screw loose makes it easy to turn it's a bum line.

Also, your pads on that side are now glazed over and your car will pull to the other side while braking unless you turn rotors and install new pads.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh and for future reference, a propane torch makes those bolts turn with ease.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 PM

This happened during the bedding process. I think one of the pads or metal brackets off the backs popped off. I took the pads off...inspected them...put them back on with new metal bracket (somehow the old pads had 2 on them). This seems to have fixed it...as far as I can tell.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Well...its 22 mm...

I got 1 off. I am having the hardest time getting the top one off. Any suggestions? I used both my arms on the socket. I tried banging on the socket with a rubber mallet. I'm stumped at how to get this caliper off so I can do my rotor!

PB Blaster + 10 Min Wait = Your solution

if that doesnt work...... add a breaker bar to the equation........ i have a 2 ft breaker bar that till this day I have never been NOT ABLE to take off a bolt.