6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

O2 Sensor wiring-2 White wires?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM

O2 Sensor wiring-2 White wires?!?!?

Following an unforeseen chain of events, the O2 sensor on my y-pipe needs to be re-wired to the connector which used to be on the end of the wires.

The problem is there are 2 white wires coming out of the O2 sensor and I dont know if it matters which white wire connects to which on the connector. The mating connector on the car has four different colors going into the harness, so it makes me wonder.

Right now I have an O2 sensor with a grey, black, and two white wires, and a connector with wire stubs of the same color coming out of the back like this (looking at the back of connector):

---locking tab----
--White | Black---
---Gray | White---
------------------

If I happen to reverse the original order of the white wires when soldering them together, will it matter?

Please post if you think you can help. The only choice I have is to identify each white wire with either the grey or black in relation to the mating connector which has colors like orange, red, orange/green stripe.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can't really help... but... you have an O2 sensor on your y-pipe? I don't...
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Yes I do. There was a mix up with the order that led me to believe the O2 sensor would not be on the new Y-pipe, so I cut the wires. I hooked it back up yesterday and the Check Engine light is still on. I drove it for about a week without that pre-cat O2 sensor, so I'm gonna give it another day or three to see if it re-adjusts, as that O2 sensor should be seeing exactly the same thing it did before.