6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Koni's Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Koni's Installed!

As a lot of you know I have had the pleasure of experiencing numerous suspension setups. These Koni's are the best struts by far I have experienced.

My observations are unique in that I have experienced (3) different kinds of struts with everything else remaining the same.

My car: Progress springs, Progress RSB, & GR2 rear shocks.

OEM struts provide the best overall ride quality (slightly) but is light years behind the other two struts I'm about to mention in handling. The OEM's bottom out like crazy and simply are not valved properly at all for lowering.

GR2 struts handle 40% better than OEM's but suffer 20% in ride quality. They are reasonably fine for most applications but people in places like NewYork should beware! A very nice strut...but can't compete in terms of smooth ride qualities with the other two struts. Very good value though! Recommended if you're on a budget.

If money is no object DO NOT hesitate to get the Konis. They have wonderful ride characteristics, and will put your car in a whole other category in terms of handling. They are smooth while exhibiting outstanding handling characteristics. Over certain kinds of road irregularities they even ride better than OEM's because bouncing is at a nil! I'll repeat myself, if you have the money, BUY THESE STRUTS! Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW The phone support is immediate and most helpful (Active Tuning).
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM

I agree. I am so pleased with my Konis. Have u considered the adjustable KYB AGX shocks for the rear? What setting do you have the Konis. I have mine 1/2 back from the hardest setting.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I agree. I am so pleased with my Konis. Have u considered the adjustable KYB AGX shocks for the rear? What setting do you have the Konis. I have mine 1/2 back from the hardest setting.
Regarding the AGX's. I ordered them today instead of getting my core return refunded ($250). I sent out a moneyorder for $18 and some change along with the cores-and anxiously await thier arrival.

I have played around with the setting from softest to hardest and like them all. Sick handling at firm setting but with reasonable ride quality. Supple ride quality at the softest setting while still maintaining very good handling characteristics. It all depends on the mood. Right now the mood is 1 turn.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:41 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

nice man sooo this means i get your hammy downs hahah
Old 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
KC's FINEST

< No problems on stock/progress.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

PICS PICS PICS???? hurley stop messing around... post em
Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM

is there a way coolmax that you can post pics of the core to make sure what they are talking about and the parts for the strut..thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
< No problems on stock/progress.
Alrighty then. Congrats...

Konis/struts have no effect on the looks of the car. Please refer to this link for pictures...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=528475

I don't know what you mean Miami. The struts are already installed so pictures would be difficult. Do you want pics of the struts I took out?
If so refer to this link...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=lowering

Active Tuning is a reputable/legit company. So the konis are authentic and perform as such...

This commentary regarding all three struts was meant for anyone considering staying stock, going to GR2's, or Koni/AGX concerning ride quality, handling, and cost concerns.
I am no expert, just someone with a opinion just like everyone else on this here board. Mine is unique only in the way I have tried all three on the same platform.
With this commentary and others, hopefully we will build a consensus on what is best for most-if not all Maxima enthusiast.
Best of luck to you all in your own considerations for handling, cost, & ride quality. As a reminder, KC isn't having any problems with his stock struts & shocks. Some of us do, some of us don't. Those of you who lower your vehicle (or not) hopefully will be as fortunate as KC staying on stock shocks & struts.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a car fire to attend to...
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Are you saying those before pictures are stock?? Front wheel well gap doesn't look bad enough......
Old 07-13-2007, 05:53 AM

Your gaps on the wheels look great. This would be my next mod. How bad would it be to due the front first with Koni's and wait on the back. I just can't stand the look on the front.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by lmuscella
Your gaps on the wheels look great. This would be my next mod. How bad would it be to due the front first with Koni's and wait on the back. I just can't stand the look on the front.
Folks, struts and shocks have absolutely nothing to do with car height or wheel well gap. They only effect how the car handles and ride quality.

Please read this outstanding write up on how suspension works. Focus on dampers...http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm

The only exception is with coilovers. But then again they are called coilovers. Anytime you here the words shocks or struts know that it does not effect the look of your car.

In terms of wheel gap & height, it's all about springs. Mine are Progress springs.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I've had the Konis up front and KYB AGXs in the rear with Eibach springs for almost 2 years now. I've had zero problems with my setup and love the handling.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ Do you have system in trunk?? I've noticed eibachs look lower in the rear.....or is it heavy systems?? Progressive seem to be more even.....correct me if I'm wrong......Respect
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhotoGus
^^^^^^^^^^^ Do you have system in trunk?? I've noticed eibachs look lower in the rear.....or is it heavy systems?? Progressive seem to be more even.....correct me if I'm wrong......Respect
Boone, your car looks great man (and I know it handles as good as it looks).

It is weird because Progress is rated at 1.8 in the front & .75 in the rear versus eibach rated at 2.0 in the front and .8 in the rear??? But yeah, Progress seems to have the more even stance. Don't go by my car because I took 1/4 turn off the front springs. This bought me another .2 inches.

I do have 2 heavy 10 inch woofers in a dual sealed enclosure in my trunk.
It is mounted as close to the rear seat as possible. I have stiffer shocks in the rear as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Just like coolmax, I have two 10" subs in an enclosure mounted in the trunk. Yes , the rear does end up sitting lower than the front but I don't think it is to the point that the car looks uneven.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:54 PM

asdfas

Originally Posted by boone
but I don't think it is to the point that the car looks uneven.
Nah man, I didn't mean it like that....your ride look tight, I just have a meticulous attention to detail.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
JG1

boone,

your car does look great. what brand wheels are they?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by PhotoGus
Nah man, I didn't mean it like that....your ride look tight, I just have a meticulous attention to detail.
It's okay. I didn't take it as an insult.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JG1
boone,

your car does look great. what brand wheels are they?
They are Zinik Adrians.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM
JG1

Originally Posted by boone
They are Zinik Adrians.
They're gorgeous!

What size tires...225/35/20 or 245/35/20?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by JG1
They're gorgeous!

What size tires...225/35/20 or 245/35/20?
Thanks. The tires are 245/35/20
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM

sweet ride!

Nice setup Boone! Diggin it!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Well the Konis have completely settled in now and I must say-this is in my top two-three favorite mods. The car is so frikkin' fun to drive now. The enhancement in road feel and control is utterly mind boggling.

I took the car to my test ground (downtown Phoenix with road irregularities galore) and saw a Mercedes slow to a crawl over huge potholes while I jammed past him feeling in complete control with the suspension saying is this all you got?

High speed turns almost brings me to tears (must buy klennex). The car intially does a slight squat and then stays flat communicating to you in mellifluous tenor sax every detail of what the tires are saying.

I almost felt today like I was in a rear wheel vehicle maxin' it around a 90 degree turn going sideways (nobody around)...turned into the skid, straitened, and accelerated. Simply awesome!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:07 PM

Let us know whats up when the AGX's come in.......
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
As a lot of you know I have had the pleasure of experiencing numerous suspension setups. These Koni's are the best struts by far I have experienced.

My observations are unique in that I have experienced (3) different kinds of struts with everything else remaining the same.

My car: Progress springs, Progress RSB, & GR2 rear shocks.

OEM struts provide the best overall ride quality (slightly) but is light years behind the other two struts I'm about to mention in handling. The OEM's bottom out like crazy and simply are not valved properly at all for lowering.

GR2 struts handle 40% better than OEM's but suffer 20% in ride quality. They are reasonably fine for most applications but people in places like NewYork should beware! A very nice strut...but can't compete in terms of smooth ride qualities with the other two struts. Very good value though! Recommended if you're on a budget.

If money is no object DO NOT hesitate to get the Konis. They have wonderful ride characteristics, and will put your car in a whole other category in terms of handling. They are smooth while exhibiting outstanding handling characteristics. Over certain kinds of road irregularities they even ride better than OEM's because bouncing is at a nil! I'll repeat myself, if you have the money, BUY THESE STRUTS! Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW The phone support is immediate and most helpful (Active Tuning).
How much are the koni struts?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Wait til u get the AGXs and crank em to 6 ot 7. Glad you like the Konis.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 AM

dammmit .. now I have to buy these Koni things huh. Do you guys recommend staying with the stock springs or upgrading them? I'm looking for a more solid ride, not necessarily a more uncomfortable ride. Koni's should be ordered before the end of the self-install season here in NY. I can't wait.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 PM

U will want Progress springs. In fact, I am going to ask them if they can custom wind me a set of stiffer springs.