6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dropping my baby

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 AM

Dropping my baby

Ok guys I think its time to drop my baby, so I need input as to what to buy. I want to lower with springs, no coilovers yet. I'm thinking Progress but should I change the shocks and struts as well? If so, what ones, maybe Koni? Please give some feedback.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 AM

do you have rims on your max??cuz if you drop your car it will look nice yet if not done by the right person!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by gorgeousyvette
do you have rims on your max??cuz if you drop your car it will look nice yet if not done by the right person!!!
No rims as of yet, going to wait till next spring.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 AM

oh then you shouldnt have a problem dropping it..i heard tho that puttin springs might mess it up if you do put rims..it will start scratching and rubbing and it will make an aweful noise trust me..but try and find someone whos good at dropping it and it looks really nice as well...you get what you pay for..
Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 AM
gec

Hey Joe -- I got the progress springs with the 20's no problems

Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 AM

hey GEC you probably had someone do it really well..cause i know someone who dropped it not by choice and it was rubbing nasty...i guess got to watch who you do your rims and drop procedure with...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

If you get the right person to do the work and the right size wheels, dropping the car will not be a problem. I am currently running 20" wheels and have my car dropped using Eibach springs with Koni struts and the KYB AGX shocks. Problems come in when you try to go with wheels as large as 22". I know of some people who have dropped on 22's successfully but it is tricky.

If you are going to drop the car, I'd say you might as well upgrade the shocks and struts at the same time. It is just easier.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 AM

yea thats another thing..your definitly right 22's was rubbing..i know someone who still rubs..but they fixed the problem after 20 million visits back..hey but when you pay for something you got to get your moneys worth and hey boone your car is nice ...like the rims looks clean...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 AM

Lowering Kit

yea thats another thing..your definitly right 22's was rubbing..i know someone who still rubs..but they fixed the problem after 20 million visits back..hey but when you pay for something you got to get your moneys worth and hey boone your car is nice ...like the rims looks clean...

I'm currently drop on the Intrax Springs with 22s,
an I would like add that they are great springs
for lowering your ride, especially for that slammed
appearance. Driving on them feels great, but once
they settle, depending on the terrain, they become
way to soft for the everyday driving. So, I will only
use mine for shows & meets, other then that, Eibach
is my first choice. Progress sounds like a really good
spring also, so they would be my second choice for
everyday driving. I've modified the best smooth /performance
suspension set-up over the past 2 to 3 months,
experimenting with our rear independent suspension.
An being that I fell in love with the over 2 inch rear
drop suspension. I decided to play around with some
thicker rear springs that were the same length as our
O.E.M & Aftermarket springs. By modifying them to
capture a 2.25 inch drop or lower, this wouldn't be a
problem because my rear fender was shaved in the
inside of the wheel well to prevent any scrubbing or
complications @ all. Plus having the KyB AGXs,
RSB, Custom End links, etc..............
These components enhance the suspension
tremendously, leaving you with a comfortable
smooth ride with a performance edge. So my
everyday driving suspension is Eibach springs in
the front, an thicker 2 to 3 ton springs in the rear
from a Heavy duty Chevy. They actually sell springs
for hydraulic hopping competition, which would work
really good also. But the Heavy Truck springs work/feel Great!
Well any ways just wanted to add that you can have
a very comfortable ride with 22s, an not have to go
back & forth to a shop "20 million" times. Can't wait to see
your drop in the near future. Later........

Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
SHIFT_In2D

^

That is dr00licious right there!

Nice setup and I would've thought you had coilovers
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jess
^

That is dr00licious right there!

Nice setup and I would've thought you had coilovers

Thanks, Jess! I basically improvised with the set-up a bit.
First, by examining our rear independent suspension,
I realize that if the springs were a bit thicker we could
capture a lower appearance, without jeopardizing the
ride quality. Because we all know saggy coils which
eventually occur with softer lower springs compromise
ride quality. An let me inform you that the rear handles
perfect, as well as the front, but I 'm currently modifying
the front suspension to enhance it beyond the options
we currently have for our 6th Gen.
When it's all complete I'll definitely post pics,
then leak out all the info for you guys. Later......

Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ya gotta love the imagination of Presence. His ride off-the-hook.
He is the man who has mastered the drop. Well done!

The consensus is Eibachs provide the best riding drop while Progress is outstanding bang for the buck (about $180 shipped). For the absolute best combination of ride quality & performance in terms of dampeners, Koni/AGX are the way to go.

I have heard too many horror stories regarding coilovers is terms of ride quality and longevity. They also are a pain in the butt to adjust.

With "active Tuning" dampeners, you can go from soft to stiff in a matter of seconds on all (4) corners.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Thats what i call a "neck breaker"
Damn i wish my 22's looked like that but i had to raise up the car so it wont rub. Presence do you drive wit people all the time or your always by yourself? My situation is that im always loaded with people and if i do drop wit the springs you mentioned will it still hit?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 AM
.org extraordinaire

I have

19" Nismo rims with oversize 255/40/19 tires.
Koni Adjustable up front.
AGX Adjustable in back.
Progress Springs 1.7 front, .09 rear.
Progress Sway Bar in rear.
Racingline Endlinks front and rear.

I'm telling you this ride is off the hook, It handles better then a 350z at the track, believe me I lapped one. AND AND AND..........cruiseliner smooth on the highway. All it takes is a few clicks of the adjuster wheel and were back in action on the setting thats preffered for the type of driving.

Spirited local driving my setting is all half way, on long highway trips is cadillac soft, on track its F1 stiff.

Kamski
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM

Suspension

Originally Posted by D'MaX04
Thats what i call a "neck breaker"
Damn i wish my 22's looked like that but i had to raise up the car so it wont rub. Presence do you drive wit people all the time or your always by yourself? My situation is that im always loaded with people and if i do drop wit the springs you mentioned will it still hit?

Purchasing the Front Adj. Koni Struts & Rear Adj. KyB AgX shocks, in my opinion is the best route to go for suspension upgrades. The KYB AGXs for the rear are very impressive, you can roll around with two of the Nutty Professor Klump family members and have a Banging audio system, an completely control the damping, "Honestly". On a road trip to Miami a month ago was the best road trip in my maxima ever, because I kept pulling over @ every rest stop to play with the adjustable (Adj.) suspension. An this was performed just to really comprehend on how to adjust for long trips vs everyday day short trips. Because we all know that has to deal with different terrains.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Presence
Purchasing the Front Adj. Koni Struts & Rear Adj. KyB AgX shocks, in my opinion is the best route to go for suspension upgrades. The KYB AGXs for the rear are very impressive, you can roll around with two of the Nutty Professor Klump family members and have a Banging audio system, an completely control the damping, "Honestly". On a road trip to Miami a month ago was the best road trip in my maxima ever, because I kept pulling over @ every rest stop to play with the adjustable (Adj.) suspension. An this was performed just to really comprehend on how to adjust for long trips vs everyday day short trips. Because we all know that has to deal with different terrains.
The example of the Klump families made it really secured that it wont hit.. I will look into depth into the suspensions about the pricing and all that. I appreciate your help -smooth rider- lol
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Presence, you have a great looking ride with a very innovative suspension setup. That is a great looking show car.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
I have

19" Nismo rims with oversize 255/40/19 tires.
Koni Adjustable up front.
AGX Adjustable in back.
Progress Springs 1.7 front, .09 rear.
Progress Sway Bar in rear.
Racingline Endlinks front and rear.

I'm telling you this ride is off the hook, It handles better then a 350z at the track, believe me I lapped one. AND AND AND..........cruiseliner smooth on the highway. All it takes is a few clicks of the adjuster wheel and were back in action on the setting thats preffered for the type of driving.

Spirited local driving my setting is all half way, on long highway trips is cadillac soft, on track its F1 stiff.

Kamski
I have the same as Kam without endlinks (to be installed shortly) and he's right. The car with those suspension mods is out of this world.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Over-all Appearance

Originally Posted by boone
Presence, you have a great looking ride with a very innovative suspension setup. That is a great looking show car.

Boone! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the comment.
Can't wait to share my up an coming mods with you guys,
it will consist of shaved doors, custom front bumper,
flared wheel wells, and for the longest I've been trying
to apply hot rod side view mirrors to give the ride a
sleek concept appearance. First project begins in a
week & a half, I'm just waiting for my 40lb solenoids
to arrive, so that I can start the shaved door handle project.
I'm really debating on starting this weekend, an just
shaving all three doors and leaving the drivers side for
later or until the solenoids arrive. Decision! Decision!
DeusExMaxima! You an Kamilkuzeweski have awesome
suspension set-ups, are you guys going to continue with
more suspension upgrades? Front stabilizer bar as well
as Rear stabilizer helps tremendously in performance also.
What's exciting is that there so much more upgrades to
give your ride excellent performance & comfort.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
*moderator*

oh then you shouldnt have a problem dropping it..i heard tho that puttin springs might mess it up if you do put rims..it will start scratching and rubbing and it will make an aweful noise trust me..but try and find someone whos good at dropping it and it looks really nice as well...you get what you pay for..

If you simply look around this site you will notice that there are a majority of us that are lowered (either with springs or coilovers) and do not have any problems with rubbing. It's simply making sure you have someone work on your car that has a clue as to what they are doing. I met guy the other day who was checking out my car at 711, he was tripping on how low my car was and didn't believe me when I said that it didn't rub. He goes on to tell me that he also has 20's but is not lowered but his car rubs constantly. Come to find out he is running 255/45/20 tires, I told him who ever sold them to him didn't know what they were doing!
Sorry for the rant but your comment just hit me the wrong way, don't assume things, based on a bad experience you may have had or from things people tell you. There's plenty of room in those wheel wells, just gotta do it right!!!

Here's mine, low, no rub....

Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
.org extraordinaire

its gonna rub something nasty.....
Atlanta Popeyes Chicken employee once said "theyz chicken rub something nasty", she got fired. LMFAO!!! Dejavu.

LOL, no no jokes aside. Your rims should never rub if you have the proper tires and rim offset.

Like I said 255/40/19 tire with the Nismo Rims and zero rubbing.

Look...

MOSPORT DDT CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES AND NO RUBBING
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 AM

Jsmithsole:
Sorry for the rant but your comment just hit me the wrong way, don't assume things, based on a bad experience you may have had or from things people tell you. There's plenty of room in those wheel wells, just gotta do it right!!!

Agreed! I'm on Progress with stock s&s's and no rub whatsoever. The folks that taught me how to drop my car,(a show and tell if you will) said that of all the cars they've dropped, mine sat the lowest. I'm telling you this because I haven't heard of any 6th gen rubbing because of dropping on Progress. I think you may have gotten some invalid info.

Jsmithsole, isn't TekNiq on Progress with 22's and he has zero rub?

Presence, nice slam. She sits purdy!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 AM

hey what about 24's on a max would it rub..cause i see alot of people putting 22's and either having problems or not i wonder..havent really looked into it..
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

hey what about 24's on a max would it rub..cause i see alot of people putting 22's and either having problems or not i wonder..havent really looked into it..
Should look like a 30K Hot Wheel...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM

24's on a Max is just crazy. We do not have the wheel wells for it. Save those for a nineteen eighty something Caprice or an SUV.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Jsmithsole:

Agreed! I'm on Progress with stock s&s's and no rub whatsoever. The folks that taught me how to drop my car,(a show and tell if you will) said that of all the cars they've dropped, mine sat the lowest. I'm telling you this because I haven't heard of any 6th gen rubbing because of dropping on Progress. I think you may have gotten some invalid info.

Jsmithsole, isn't TekNiq on Progress with 22's and he has zero rub?

Presence, nice slam. She sits purdy!

4MySwee!! Hi! Are your Progress Springs the only lowering kit you've ever used on your max or any of your vehicles. I'm just curious if you have any comparison specs @ all, you know like Eibach springs are stiffer or progress springs are softer and more bouncier once they settle. An have you done any new mods recently, would love to view some pics of your ride, it's been awhile. Also, your comment is very much appreciate, wait til you see the shaved door handles along with some body molding coming real soon. BOONE! I agree 24s are to big for our maxima's, especially for every day driving, but Hay! Just my opinion though.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
.org extraordinaire

I bet you have gold teeth with little diamonds and 7 rings on each hand?

24's would look shameful to put on car like this. I think I saw a sherrif in texas put 24" rims on his H2 Hummer and that looked ultra stupid, cant even imagine how tarded it would look on a Maxima.

MOSPORT DDT CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES AND NO RUBBING
Old 08-08-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
That last pic was pretty funny lol
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM

ok guys it was just a thought..actually i am far from gold teeth and ghetto high cars...i saw an old 97 on 24's and it was over the top..so yeah i can imagine...lol
Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
.org extraordinaire

ok guys it was just a thought..actually i am far from gold teeth and ghetto high cars...i saw an old 97 on 24's and it was over the top..so yeah i can imagine...lol
how far......? show us
Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 PM

Hey Presence,

You are one of the few setting the stakes a little higher for us 6th genners.

She looks good! Why no pictures of that custom grill? At least I didn't see any. Show us her grill.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:08 PM

Hey Presence,

She looks good! Why no pictures of that custom grill? At least I didn't see any. Show us her grill.
Swee,

Check out this thread and drool. The grill is unique as it is gorgeous!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....lac+cts+grille
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Modified Cadillac CTS Grill with a Nissan Emblem

Hey Presence,

4MySwee! Here's a few pics of the modified Cadillac CTS grill with the Nissan Emblem.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:52 AM

hey The Presence i think you should add a different grill it would look even harder on your max..but i give you props on the hookup so far.nice
Old 08-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Appearance

hey The Presence i think you should add a different grill it would look even harder on your max..but i give you props on the hookup so far.nice

Gorgeousyvette! This modified grill was just one of my project grills, I want @ least 3 or 4 for show purposes. When I receive my new custom front bumper, hopefully next week, you'll see more of an aggressive appearance for the front end. Would love to give you the heads up, on what type of grill I'm going with , but I decided to leave that as a "BIG" surprise for everyone. Hay! What does your grill look like? Show some pics when you get a chance, is it chrome, billet or O.E.M style. Later................

Old 08-10-2007, 03:23 PM

well i cant wait to see the new grill.your car i must say is beautiful indeed the way it is now but yeah post up the new pictures when you modify and me no i wish i had a grill same factory one for now....but im working on it slowly but surely.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 AM

CoolMax05,

I wanted others to see what Presence had done with his grill. I've seen it over at 6th gen when he walked us through the stages over there. I guess I wanted him to show it off. I'm a little childlike that way.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 AM
JG1

That grill does look pretty sweet.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Hi, I am about to get some 22x8.5 wheels and I was wondering what springs would tuck in the rear a little bit and leave no fender gap in the front. Thanks. Eibach seems like the rear might not tuck.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Oh, and how would sprint springs look? Ride quality good? how much of a drop? Anyone have them with pics? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dropping my baby