6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dropping my baby

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by kronickz
Hi, I am about to get some 22x8.5 wheels and I was wondering what springs would tuck in the rear a little bit and leave no fender gap in the front. Thanks. Eibach seems like the rear might not tuck.

Kronickz! You might have to get a little bit creative with the back springs. I've driven on O.E.M, Eibach, and Intrax Rear Springs. An had to modified each one to capture a really awesome wheel well tuck. It's extremely easy to perform, especially if you already have a lowering spring spec. of 1.5 inches or more. I believe, almost a full coil was remove from my Intrax rear spring to get a really nasty drop, my eibach rears were maybe a coil & a half. But you better make sure you have a least a RSB and some really good supportive shocks. Because eventually a drop below 2.0- 2.25 will eat up regular shocks pretty darn quick, which will probably start a snowball affect of suspension problems. I currently have thicker truck springs from a big Chevy & Ford truck that can handle some of the toughest terrains and sustain a extreme rear suspension drop. It's really funny when people tell me they scrub on 22s, because there's just a few "MINOR" things to perform to avoid it completely. An most the time there wheel & tire width is way to wide.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 AM

well, I don't really want to mess with cutting off coils, I think i'll just stick with whatever drop it gives me. I kind of don't want to lean towards intrax because you said after it settles that it will start to be bouncy. I still want to keep the smooth ride but have no gap or have a little tuck. I'm really interested in the sprint springs but I don't know how they will look with 22's. I want a pic with Eibach too because i know they are very good springs. I had a set on my civic back in the day. SOoooo confused, need help!!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 AM

oh will I have any turning issues with turning with 22x8.5's and a drop?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:57 PM

05 Maxima

oh will I have any turning issues with turning with 22x8.5's and a drop?

Hay! I feel you on the idea of cutting coil springs, because if not done properly will screw up your ride. That's why I went with thicker truck springs, so that I wouldn't experience difficult suspension problems. Also, to be honest with you about the scrubbing while turning your front wheel issue, can occur with 20s to, but there is a very easy solution to that problem. Adjust the front bottom end of your splash guards, "That's it"; because you barely scrub in the first place with factory suspension set-up. More like scuffing, plus it depends on tire width, I'm sure you will here a lot of people point out that they scrub for a few days then it went away. But what really happen is that small section was basically filed down or shaved by your tires, so either way the situation can be resolve. That's up to you pretty much. Below is a pic of my old Eibach drop.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM

wow, that actually looks pretty damn good. No gap what so ever. Really dropped the front. Intrax would drop it lower? sorry if i'm asking so many questions. I just want to get the right springs with 22's. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:18 AM

actually, I found a local guy that is selling some 22" Staggered wheels for really cheap. They are 22x8.5 in the front and 22.9.5 in the rear. I'm gonna pick them up next week. Will a 255/30/22 tire fit on both size wheels? Please let me know. My plan when I get the wheels is to have them painted the same color of my car which is white and leave the machined lip. I think it's going to look sick as hell.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM

Wheels

actually, I found a local guy that is selling some 22" Staggered wheels for really cheap. They are 22x8.5 in the front and 22.9.5 in the rear. I'm gonna pick them up next week. Will a 255/30/22 tire fit on both size wheels? Please let me know. My plan when I get the wheels is to have them painted the same color of my car which is white and leave the machined lip. I think it's going to look sick as hell.

Sounds like a great set-up, I bet it's going to look sick. An 255/30/22 tires will accommodate the 22x8.5 & 22x9.5, but for some reason they recommend the 245/30/22 tires. I actually receive that info from a tire rep., that was in the office a few weeks back, but he didn't go into details why not. If you plan on dropping the maxima under 2.0 -2.25 inches, you will have to modified those wheel wells a bit by flaring or just plain rolling of the fender. Did you decide on which lowering kit would be best for maxima's appearance?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:16 PM

I think i'm going to go with a sprint because i haven't seen it anyone with them yet. Ummm, I actually might have a problem with the wheels though. The front I think should be fine because they have a 42mm offset where as the rear has a 15mm offset. I'm not sure if the rears would work. What is can I do to make it work? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRIECIATED!!!! I really like these wheels and for the price, it's unbeatable.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM

I think i'm going to go with a sprint because i haven't seen it anyone with them yet. Ummm, I actually might have a problem with the wheels though. The front I think should be fine because they have a 42mm offset where as the rear has a 15mm offset. I'm not sure if the rears would work. What is can I do to make it work? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRIECIATED!!!! I really like these wheels and for the price, it's unbeatable.

Have you @ least tried seeing if this 22x9.5 wheels can mount on the rear spindle/rotor. Because that offset sounds extremely low, I'm sure things could be modified in the rear to possible make it fit. But I think 42mm is the highest an 32mm is the lowest, don't quote me though it might be a little bit lower then 32mm. Honestly if you want to be safe on the road for yourself & others, really do the research before purchasing. What are the drop specs. on those Sprint springs?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM

1.75 in the front and 1.5 in the rear. Man, those wheels are soooo nice but if there is no way of making them work, I guess i'll just have to pass them up.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM

If that doesn't work out then i guess there is always intrax for that slight tuck
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by The Presence
Have you @ least tried seeing if this 22x9.5 wheels can mount on the rear spindle/rotor. Because that offset sounds extremely low, I'm sure things could be modified in the rear to possible make it fit. But I think 42mm is the highest an 32mm is the lowest, don't quote me though it might be a little bit lower then 32mm. Honestly if you want to be safe on the road for yourself & others, really do the research before purchasing. What are the drop specs. on those Sprint springs?

DUUUUDE

where can i buy the front end that you have?

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4...ouse154nu2.jpg
Old 08-15-2007, 05:09 AM

Appearance

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
DUUUUDE

where can i buy the front end that you have?

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4...ouse154nu2.jpg

Kamilkluczewski! What's up? Where you referring to the
bumper or grill, because both are home-made. The front
bumper was customize by using the O.E.M bumper;
it's basically constructed by a thin layer of sheet metal,
tack rivets, light fiber glass, and a thin layer of bondo
to complete the task. Took about three days, an @ the
time I wasn't thinking about it, but adding a extension
around the entire bottom section of the bumper would
have given it a better low profile appearance. So when
my new custom bumper comes in, I will complete that
project over one week-end. An the new bumper that
was ordered will be slightly modified also, so that it takes
on a different appearance from others who own this
exact bumper. Jsmithsole, maxchef, etc.......
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 AM

OK! I found another guy selling some 22's. He has some 22x8 wheels for really cheap. I'm gonna go pick these up for sure next week. They have a 38+ offset. Should work for sure. Will a 255/30/22 tire fit on these since it is a .5 inch smaller in width? I hope so. SOOOOOO EXCITED!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Wheels

QUOTE=kronickz]OK! I found another guy selling some 22's. He has some 22x8 wheels for really cheap. I'm gonna go pick these up for sure next week. They have a 38+ offset. Should work for sure. Will a 255/30/22 tire fit on these since it is a .5 inch smaller in width? I hope so. SOOOOOO EXCITED![/QUOTE]

Excellent, choice! Going with the 22x8, 38+ offset is a great way to start, I personally like 245/30/22, plus the 255 to me don't look that much wider. Noticeable, but not like Woe. I actually had 22x8 Gio Wheels for a couple of months before purchasing my 22 inch Onyx wheels. Few Pics below: An I'm happy for you to, I know how it feels when you receive something new for your whip. Definitely post pics; better yet can you snap a few shots of just the wheels alone?

[
Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Dropped on eibach's with 24's