6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Opinion???next generation is said to be a 3.7.should it be higher?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 AM

Opinion???next generation is said to be a 3.7.should it be higher?

hey guys the 6th generation max's are now 3.5 i heard the new ones are going to be 3.7..what does everyone think about it??do you think they should of just went higher possibily up to 4.0..??interesting facts probably go behind it..maybe too much !!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

IMO, anything 4L or higher should be a V8. 4L V6 is well, got a lot of cylinder area. A lot of torque. Where a small 4L V8 would have much dsaller pistons and probably be pretty rev happy.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM

I think both are a terrible idea to use unless there is a change in drive-train for the Maxima/Altima designs. There's already enough torque-steer with the 3.5 using FWD. I mean Nissan had to tune down the vq35de just to use it in the altima/maxima lines vs. the g35/m35, so I can't even imagine the point in using a more powerful engine in the current base setup of maximas/altimas... Not to mention the drop in mileage from a bigger engine.
I think instead of swapping engines out, Renault/Nissan ought to focus more on the semi-truck-like turning radius of the Maxima. My mom just got a Lincoln Navigator with the long body and it turns better than my '05 Max, as does my dad's new Lexus LS460...now that's just pathetic (and yes, I test drove the '07 a week ago and the problem is still quite obvious). Just my two cents, and I hope I didn't make anyone too mad at me.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

The detune had nothing to do with torque steer. More along the lines of not having a midsize sedan being quicker than a sport model
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 PM

So the M35 FULL-SIZE SEDAN is supposed to be a SPORT MODEL... It's nearly 300 lbs. heavier than our cars and much bigger, but due to RWD, they are able to tune up to 300-hp...now tell me the detune for ours had nothing to do with torque steer from FWD.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by steven614
So the M35 FULL-SIZE SEDAN is supposed to be a SPORT MODEL... It's nearly 300 lbs. heavier than our cars and much bigger, but due to RWD, they are able to tune up to 300-hp...now tell me the detune for ours had nothing to do with torque steer from FWD.
All RWD's get the cool IM. Also, our cars have more torque than theirs. Don't come to me starting a technical discussion. I could get into the differences of the 2 engines and you wont even know I'm talking about, so unless you know the REAL differences between the engines, keep your mouth closed or provide data that backs your claim. I.e. CVTC timing maps, gm/s data, IGN timing .

Show me a dyno where a Z33/V35 puts down more torque(significantly) than an A33B/A34.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 PM
*moderator*

NmexMAX, telling it how it is! I think I'll have some for this one!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
.org extraordinaire

your bout to get bichtslapped by NmexMax.

All RWD's get the cool IM. Also, our cars have more torque than theirs. Don't come to me starting a technical discussion. I could get into the differences of the 2 engines and you wont even know I'm talking about, so unless you know the REAL differences between the engines, keep your mouth closed or provide data that backs your claim. I.e. CVTC timing maps, gm/s data, IGN timing .

Show me a dyno where a Z33/V35 puts down more torque(significantly) than an A33B/A34.
You just got bichtslapped by NmexMax.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'm having fun..................You guys are cool.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'm having fun..................You guys are cool.
It is messed up though how much nissan will tinker with the same engine only to change its power levels for various vehicles such as the Quest, Altima, Maxima, G35, 07 maxima... why complicate the process? I dunno....

For example the Variable intake on the Maxima/Altima has to be more expensive then the Big Turtle thing on the 350z.

Damn nissan, leaves it to us to have to gut our stock intakes.

Kamski
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I have 350z CVTC and a 7100RPM rev limit..
Old 08-11-2007, 12:04 AM
.org extraordinaire

R u running the Technosquare reflash or some other after market ECU. Are your exhaust valves also variable?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

I have a technosquare full reflash. It provides 350z CVTC maps. IIRC the same thing as if one of you A34 members using an ECU from a G or Z..
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 AM
.org extraordinaire

I have a technosquare full reflash. It provides 350z CVTC maps. IIRC the same thing as if one of you A34 members using an ECU from a G or Z..
I drool over that nightly, but $500 for a re-flash is absurd.

Maybe when I get some $$$ in the future.

Kamski
Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

I agree, 0.5K is And I actually did, like really shed a tear for Jime...........I'm sorry I cannot continue........
Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 AM

i think it's gonna be a 3.7
like the new infinity G37
Old 08-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Yeah, it should be a 3.7, with a beefier front suspension, maybe with something like a LTB and nice fat RSB. It would be nice to get rid of some torque steer, but to be honest, If you know your maxima, then you know how to control the torque steer, and anticipate it happening before you get in trouble.

Also, they should put in the HICAS systems like the old z's. then they wouldn't have to worry about modifing the suspension components and engine size/orientation so much to get rid of the semi-like turing radius.

my .02
Old 08-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^lol @ LTB comment....

I'm sure they'll just carry over what they did in the altima to eliminate torque steer...equal length half shafts and a lowered drivetrain. How much power each car puts out has nothing to do with FWD vs. RWD.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by gorgeousyvette
i heard the new ones are going to be 3.7
Where did you hear this?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
^^lol @ LTB comment....

I'm sure they'll just carry over what they did in the altima to eliminate torque steer...equal length half shafts and a lowered drivetrain. How much power each car puts out has nothing to do with FWD vs. RWD.

Yeah, it's like the NY lotto "Hey, you never know"
Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 PM

hows your gas mileage, does it make a difference in day to day driving
Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 PM

make it a 4.5 AWD
Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 AM
*moderator*

Posted by Maxchef:

Hello everyone.......its been awhile since i have posted. I am really busy getting ready for my sons wedding on the 21st of this month, but as i was in the dealership talking to my buddy who owns it, he told me that he went to a meeting and they had the new Max there sitting under a cover. The little he does know i am going to share. He was only able to see one part of the car at a time and he says it looks like a BMW. It will have the 3.7 and still no word on FWD,AWD or RWD. He says that this is somthing that Nissan has never built before and it will be a TOP TOP TOP of the line vehicle. He stressed TOP to give me the messege of i should buy one when they come out and trade in mine.........NO WAY!!!!!!! I will have to drive the new one though.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 PM

If a prototype is built I'm pretty sure engine layout must already be decided?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Posted by Maxchef:

Hello everyone.......its been awhile since i have posted. I am really busy getting ready for my sons wedding on the 21st of this month, but as i was in the dealership talking to my buddy who owns it, he told me that he went to a meeting and they had the new Max there sitting under a cover. The little he does know i am going to share. He was only able to see one part of the car at a time and he says it looks like a BMW. It will have the 3.7 and still no word on FWD,AWD or RWD. He says that this is somthing that Nissan has never built before and it will be a TOP TOP TOP of the line vehicle. He stressed TOP to give me the messege of i should buy one when they come out and trade in mine.........NO WAY!!!!!!! I will have to drive the new one though.
Seems interesting but Nissan has to do something big cause right now the most competitive market is the intry level Luxury cars, TL, ES350 and the likes are really starting to step up and the Maxima is going against them
Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Posted by Maxchef:

OK we will watch and wait!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 PM

I'm not sure about the numbers you posted up about the names of very specific engines earlier, but I do know how to read a couple reviews off CNet and AutoBuyGuide.com ...

2005 Maxima= 265hp/255lb. ft. torque (CNet)
2006 M35= 280hp/270lb. ft. torque (AutoBuyGuide)

I couldn't less about the other crap, all I'm saying is the maxima is a weaker tuned car than the M35 or G35. I apologize if i cause some sort of mini-online riot, lol...but yeah, I agree that we should wait and see what Nissan decides for the new platform. My bet is 3.7L V6 with ~300hp to beat the TL-S which seems to be it's closest competitor at the moment. Power aside, the TL-S turns better, and that should be Nissan's focus for the new Max. My biggest hope is that the new one blows the Altima out of the water in every aspect as it should.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Newbie just Registered

I'm not sure about the numbers you posted up about the names of very specific engines earlier, but I do know how to read a couple reviews off CNet and AutoBuyGuide.com ...

2005 Maxima= 265hp/255lb. ft. torque (CNet)
2006 M35= 280hp/270lb. ft. torque (AutoBuyGuide)

I couldn't less about the other crap, all I'm saying is the maxima is a weaker tuned car than the M35 or G35. I apologize if i cause some sort of mini-online riot, lol...but yeah, I agree that we should wait and see what Nissan decides for the new platform. My bet is 3.7L V6 with ~300hp to beat the TL-S which seems to be it's closest competitor at the moment. Power aside, the TL-S turns better, and that should be Nissan's focus for the new Max. My biggest hope is that the new one blows the Altima out of the water in every aspect as it should.
You are forgetting about the layout of each cars. The Z puts down a little more power than the G35C because the enginebay layout allows the Z a better intake.

The RWD layout allows for better flow of the exhaust manifolds, and cooling of the rear cylinder bank. I've had the TS re-flashed G35 ECU in my Max, and can feel the power difference compare to my TS re-flashed ECU. But you can smell the heat when I pushed the G35 ECU versus the Max ECU. But's that's not the main point. TL has no other Hondas/Acuras to cannibalized, but a Max w/ same equipment and output as the Infiniti's "sports sedans" could save buyers some money and cost Infiniti some sales.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by RHMax
You are forgetting about the layout of each cars. The Z puts down a little more power than the G35C because the enginebay layout allows the Z a better intake.

The RWD layout allows for better flow of the exhaust manifolds, and cooling of the rear cylinder bank. I've had the TS re-flashed G35 ECU in my Max, and can feel the power difference compare to my TS re-flashed ECU. But you can smell the heat when I pushed the G35 ECU versus the Max ECU. But's that's not the main point. TL has no other Hondas/Acuras to cannibalized, but a Max w/ same equipment and output as the Infiniti's "sports sedans" could save buyers some money and cost Infiniti some sales.
I've already attempted bringing this to his attention at the beginning of the thread. But, it seems as if he's made the point that he does not care what real numbers state.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

I've already attempted bringing this to his attention at the beginning of the thread. But, it seems as if he's made the point that he does not care what real numbers state.
Oh!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:07 AM

hey freezerboy3 it will be a 3.7..it was already stated and just waiting for the other new on what other goodies are coming along with this beauty