6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What are the best tires for my 05 SL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What are the best tires for my 05 SL?

Hey all, I have an 05 SL with the stock rims, and i was wondering what the best tires would be for me to use? mine are close to shot, and im looking for a performance all season tire that has good all around performance and low road noise. Any one have any advice? thanks in advance!!
Old 08-22-2007 | 04:39 PM

I like the Michelin Pilot A/S http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ult...ilot-sport-as/ and the Goodyear F1 A/S http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagleF1AS_innov.html that I have now, both are amazing in the rain and dry, usable in the light snow.
Old 08-22-2007 | 08:53 PM
Nightmare = Reality

i went FROM the Pilot A/S 17s to GY F1 A/S 18s, and I actually got some of my ride quality BACK. I definitely recommend the Goodyear F1 All-Seasons. the Bridgestone RE960 A/S are also very highly recommended. pick one and you'll def be happy.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:06 AM

For ride quality, almost non existent road noise, decent handling, very good mileage warranty, and exceptional wet performance-I'd get the Bridgestone PP RE960's. They even rate pretty good in the snow.

I opted for the Bridgestone 050A's only because of the stiffer sidewall. It also never snows here in Phoenix.
Old 08-23-2007 | 02:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What does the stiffer sidewall give you?
Old 08-23-2007 | 03:37 AM

I put Yokohama Yk520's on. They are all season, 60,000 mile warranty.

Discount Tire carries them and you get 0% for 6 months. I love my "Yo-yo-Mamas"....
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by cyclopsmd
What does the stiffer sidewall give you?
Makes the tire more responsive/quicker turning/better handling with less lean in corners. Also better resistance to puncture.

Generally you sacrafice some comfort tho. Imagine the sidewall as somewhat of a shock absorber. It goes between the top & bottom of the tire. The softer it is the more it gives. When it gives it is less responsive.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a car fire to attend to...
Old 08-23-2007 | 08:01 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

For Staten Island N.Y. and the rest of the city area I do not recommend any low profile tires unless you like rim damage. Definitely get an all season tire!!!
Old 08-23-2007 | 09:54 AM

I have the Kumho Ecsta ASX tires on my SL and love them. They handle great, very quite and priced right.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:51 AM

thumbs up for goodyear F1s
its the newer version of the Triple Thread assurance(which i use) and everyone at school is like wow thats some crazy thread. ive been using it for about 17k miles and theres still a lot of thread left and its rated mid 90s on tirerack.com
price is good too.
Old 08-23-2007 | 11:12 AM
Nightmare = Reality

the CF sidewall on the Goodyears really seals the deal imo. It allows for a better ride quality (flex) in a straight line, but still are shockingly responsive to steering input. Like i said, I actually lost roughly 1.1" of sidewall compared to my michelins and my ride IMPROVED. All while having SICK levels of grip.
Old 08-23-2007 | 01:36 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by chernmax
For Staten Island N.Y. and the rest of the city area I do not recommend any low profile tires unless you like rim damage. Definitely get an all season tire!!!
I agree completely. I have summer BFGs but have a set of nearly new RSAs just in case. The BFGs are awesome but if I didn't have an additional set for winter I would have probably ordered A/S rated tires for NY driving. Michelling Pilot Sport A/S are great but expensive.
Old 08-24-2007 | 12:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the info. I have been running on Avon tyres I got from tirerack (got them because they were dirt cheap and rated really well by other max drivers who had bought them). Unfortunately, they have not held up too well. I am getting a ton of warbling noise, which after two alignments and several tries at rebalancing, I have been told is caused by some "really weird uneven wear". Time for some new ones, I think...

only about 17k miles on em too...
Old 08-24-2007 | 12:47 AM

Like 4MySwee, I chose the Yokohama YK520s from Direct Tire. The sidewalls are less firm than some tires, and so the ride is nicer, but the maneuverability may not be quite as good as with tires with stiff sidewalls. The price was right (around $120 per), the balancing was done correctly, and the tires ride rather quietly. I have been very happy with them since I put them on four months ago.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Like 4MySwee, I chose the Yokohama YK520s from Direct Tire. The sidewalls are less firm than some tires, and so the ride is nicer, but the maneuverability may not be quite as good as with tires with stiff sidewalls. The price was right (around $120 per), the balancing was done correctly, and the tires ride rather quietly. I have been very happy with them since I put them on four months ago.
+1

Same thing here.
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:16 AM
I wanna be at my maximum

I recently changed my tires. After tracking my car and using her as a daily driver i got about 38k out of the factory tires. After searching for a couple of months for a good set of tires for the track, that wouldn't wear that much on the dd side of the car i found / decided on these : BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

They have very little road noise, handle very well... actually super major good. No info for snow yet.... on tire rack the are rated #5 overall.

They are $186 ea. with the shipping warranty and everything comes to 900. I couldn't be happier with them.

My b/f has a 99' maxima and he has these on his car: Yokohama AVS ES100

He is on his 2nd set of these tires; he also uses his maxima for a dd and does track it. These are rated #19 overall. The only negative i have about these tires is the road noise, to me is very loud - but he doesn't notice it anymore.
Old 08-25-2007 | 08:37 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by gurlie_J_gurl
I recently changed my tires. After tracking my car and using her as a daily driver i got about 38k out of the factory tires. After searching for a couple of months for a good set of tires for the track, that wouldn't wear that much on the dd side of the car i found / decided on these : BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

They have very little road noise, handle very well... actually super major good. No info for snow yet.... on tire rack the are rated #5 overall.

They are $186 ea. with the shipping warranty and everything comes to 900. I couldn't be happier with them.
I have these same tires and think they are super awesome. As to the snow, don't count on it. I drove through NY snow last winter and learned my lesson; thank god the easy way. On one occasion the light turned red and I just slid right through the whole intersection. Long store short, I am swapping before next winter.
Old 08-27-2007 | 09:28 AM

what size F1 a/s should i use, and where is the best price for those tires?? i cant find the tire in size 225/55/17, and im not sure what the best size to use would be.
Old 08-27-2007 | 10:16 PM

03maxsiny -

Substitutes for the 225/55X17 that would remain fairly equivalent in load-carrying capacity and improve maneuverability at the expense of ride comfort would include 235/50X17 and 245/45X17.

A substitute for the 225/55X17 that would remain fairly equivalent in load-carrying capacity and improve ride-comfort at the expense of maneuverability would be 215/60X17.

You could also consider 235/55X17, which would keep the maneuverability and comfort about the same, while increasing load-carrying capacity.

Another option would be 225/60X17, which would give a tad more comfort and a tad less maneuverability while increasing the load-carrying capacity.

You will notice I have avoided suggesting any tire that would have a lower load-carrying capacity than the OEM tires. I would not go that route.

I would personally also avoid 40 or lower profile tires, unless you have a relative who is a dentist AND are driving the car slowly on good roads and are more interested in looks than practicality. There are many on the ORG who do qualify on at least one of those conditions.

As to price, that depends on the tire you choose, as well as where you buy it. Wherever that is, be sure you know the DRIVE-OUT price, as there can be quite a bit of padding (taxes, recycling charges, mounting, balance, new valve stems, etc) by some dealers.

I would also suggest you read lots of customer ratings on several tire web sites, ignoring reports that differ greatly from the average report for a particular tire.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2014 | 10:56 AM

I live in the hot tropics with roads that are pothole ridden. I don't drive over 40mph, because we don't have highways, but do have a lot of swichbacks and hills. I need a decent tire for my stock rims that are good for wet road conditions. Because of the horrible road conditions, the majority of consumers don't buy really expensive tires because they wear out quick and the warranty's don't apply in my area. Dealers here are quoting me Summit, Wind Force, Mirada. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited by FantaLady23; 06-27-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add word
Old 06-29-2014 | 08:46 AM

what do you mean by all season? that you are going to use those 3 season tires on snow? are you dumb or something?

I didn't think that there were still people using all season tires on snow in 2014. Except in 3rd world countries where they live in dirt houses and ride cows.
Does anyone in the usa not know yet that all season tires suck during the winter and are dangerous to drive on?

I use continental extreme contact DW summer tire on 18 inch mags
and nokyan hakkapelita 7 studded winter tire 17 inch steel wheels

Oh and it's not even more expensive because both sets last twice as long. And you check/lube your brakes when you change tires twice a year.

Last edited by Kryogen; 06-29-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2014 | 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
what do you mean by all season? that you are going to use those 3 season tires on snow? are you dumb or something?I hope you not responding to me, calling me "dumb or something."
I mentioned three brands of tires that are available right now on the island I live on and wondering if anyone would recommend one of them for year round use. I don't know if they are all-season or not. I didn't get that far into conversation with the dealers. We don't have a lot of choices on island and it's expensive to ship tires, but a friend is looking into that for me. Where I live the weather is hot year round and we have rainy seasons, so I need a tire that handles well in wet conditions.

I didn't think that there were still people using all season tires on snow in 2014. Except in 3rd world countries where they live in dirt houses and ride cows.
Does anyone in the usa not know yet that all season tires suck during the winter and are dangerous to drive on?

I use continental extreme contact DW summer tire on 18 inch mags
and nokyan hakkapelita 7 studded winter tire 17 inch steel wheels

Oh and it's not even more expensive because both sets last twice as long. And you check/lube your brakes when you change tires twice a year.
Who are you directing this post to? Before moving to the tropics, my family and I had summer and studded winter tires for our cars.

Last edited by FantaLady23; 06-29-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2014 | 04:22 PM

no clue then. but you edited your post to make it clearer. wasnt before.
Old 06-29-2014 | 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
no clue then. but you edited your post to make it clearer. wasnt before.
My edit included the words hot and thanks. I'm using a phone not a computer, so I missed a couple words, but otherwise I thought I was clear.
I think your reading comprehension was a little off and you jumped the gun posting a somewhat rude response that wasn't helpful for my current problem.
No snow here in the hot tropics located by the equator, but we do have rain on this island. Lol.
Old 06-29-2014 | 07:08 PM

Being rude is usually how I am. Cant fix that.

get the continental extreme contact DW
or the OEM goodyear eagle RSA

or get some of those eco tires.

or get whatever you can buy actually.