6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

how to install spoiler?/

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 PM

how to install spoiler?/

I bought a spoiler for my 04 Maxima. where is the best place to get it installed? is it all that difficault that a real good mechanic needs to take care of it? Anyone knows how much they charge at the dealership???
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 PM
*moderator*

It depends on what spoiler you bought and if you have the stock lip already. I had a buddy at the dealer do mine for $50 (I got the 07 spoiler off EBAY)
Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
It depends on what spoiler you bought and if you have the stock lip already. I had a buddy at the dealer do mine for $50 (I got the 07 spoiler off EBAY)
I have the same spoiler as you have
Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 AM
JG1

I did mine myself. It's really not that bad. They give you these template strips....just get those secured in the right spot, drill your holes and screw it on. For the light I tapped into the 3rd brake light on the rear deck.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
*moderator*

Courtesy of: kevin007

You have to drill 4 holes on the top of the trunk and two holes on the inside of the trunk to attach the nuts to the bolts the third hole does not need a hole to be drilled because there is room already to attach the 3rd bolt, 3 holes are for the bolts on the spoiler and the other hole is for the 3rd brake light switch to pass through which includes a rubber grommet that plugs up the 4th hole. It is not as difficuit as it sounds am I just trying to be as precise as possible. Nissan provides a template for drilling the top holes to the trunk and it is very precise, they even provide heavy duty trunk hinges and a wiring harness. However the wiring is for an 07 which is different than the 04 dont ask me why I dont know. So just leave the existing harness intact because it controls the trunk release, license plate lights and rear brake lights not the third brake light, you will have to disconnect the connector off the third brake light and tap into the power and ground into third brake light connector on the spoiler I do not recommend using both brake lights because it can blow the fuse because of the extra current. By the way it rained here yesterday and I washed my car after the rain and no leaks. The end result it's worth the time and effort you will be proud of yourself as well. I already have people thinking I have a 07, I aslo have the 07 SE wheels on my car which helps. Sorry about the book I just wrote! LOL!!!

Many of us bought the spoiler from here, great product, great price, a perfect fit and nice paint!!!
http://stores.ebay.com/Spoiler-Solutions

Pics:
(kevin007 if you have some of yours please let me know, I looked but didn't find any)

Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Courtesy of: kevin007

You have to drill 4 holes on the top of the trunk and two holes on the inside of the trunk to attach the nuts to the bolts the third hole does not need a hole to be drilled because there is room already to attach the 3rd bolt, 3 holes are for the bolts on the spoiler and the other hole is for the 3rd brake light switch to pass through which includes a rubber grommet that plugs up the 4th hole. It is not as difficuit as it sounds am I just trying to be as precise as possible. Nissan provides a template for drilling the top holes to the trunk and it is very precise, they even provide heavy duty trunk hinges and a wiring harness. However the wiring is for an 07 which is different than the 04 dont ask me why I dont know. So just leave the existing harness intact because it controls the trunk release, license plate lights and rear brake lights not the third brake light, you will have to disconnect the connector off the third brake light and tap into the power and ground into third brake light connector on the spoiler I do not recommend using both brake lights because it can blow the fuse because of the extra current. By the way it rained here yesterday and I washed my car after the rain and no leaks. The end result it's worth the time and effort you will be proud of yourself as well. I already have people thinking I have a 07, I aslo have the 07 SE wheels on my car which helps. Sorry about the book I just wrote! LOL!!!

Many of us bought the spoiler from here, great product, great price, a perfect fit and nice paint!!!
http://stores.ebay.com/Spoiler-Solutions

Pics:
(kevin007 if you have some of yours please let me know, I looked but didn't find any)

thx dude. I installed it with some help of my buddy. It took us actually 4 hrs to put it on. But it was a pretty clean job i think. I still have trouble on installing the lighting part. I think there is something missing. Anyway, I will finish it up and definately put up some pix. thx dude for the info
Old 08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

"Nissan provides a template for drilling the top holes to the trunk and it is very precise, they even provide heavy duty trunk hinges and a wiring harness."

You said you got trunk hinges from the dealer - are you talking about the support struts that help hold the trunk up? I noticed that ever since I installed this spoiler on my trunk that it slams shut very easily and feels very heavy when trying to open it...
Old 08-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cyclopsmd
"Nissan provides a template for drilling the top holes to the trunk and it is very precise, they even provide heavy duty trunk hinges and a wiring harness."

You said you got trunk hinges from the dealer - are you talking about the support struts that help hold the trunk up? I noticed that ever since I installed this spoiler on my trunk that it slams shut very easily and feels very heavy when trying to open it...
I'd be interested in finding that out too... mine's kinda heavy now (G35 Sedan spoiler) ... doesn't really bother me, but it'd be nice to not feel so heavy.