6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Motodyne Copper Spacer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Motodyne Copper Spacer!

I am adding this mod to my car....I like their MREV 2 Plenum...

Check this out at:

http://motordyneengineering.com/G35.htm

Best bang for the buck....

I am installing the copper spacer (5/16) as it is more efficient in the snow belt.

I will provide updates on this mod and it's performance in real world terms....
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 AM

Will this even work? The G35 and all cars listed on that page are RWD.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 AM

i thought the spacer was only for the revup engines?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by xorbitman

Check this out at:

I am installing the copper spacer (5/16) as it is more efficient in the snow belt.

Dude, I just installed the NissanWorks Upper and Lower IM spacers in my ride several months back and those spacers look nothing like what will fit on a Max FWD VQ35DE...

Is their something we are missing???
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 AM

Unless he has a Z33 intake or plans on just using the TB spacer than no. And that would be such a waste of money, Aaron's kit is awesome, I installed one on someone elses car not long ago and everything about it is so kick *** it's not even funny.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM

Why not just get Nissanworks? There are already many members running this kit and it seems to do exactly as promised and is designed directly for our cars...

Joshua
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Unless you get the MREV2 (or an OEM 350Z) intake, these spacers will NOT fit. At $446 for the MREV2 intake, its a lot cheaper than the Kinetix at $840+.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
Unless you get the MREV2 (or an OEM 350Z) intake, these spacers will NOT fit. At $446 for the MREV2 intake, its a lot cheaper than the Kinetix at $840+.
Will the MREV2 bolt up with the factory air intake? Or an aftermarket CAI such as Fujita?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

LOL ... good luck man post pics of the install when u r done
Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Apparently they have now have a kit for the Maxima...I was told the kit is about $300 Can. The reason that I am interested in this spacer is that it is ISOTHERMAL and this is a copper based composite.
This type of spacer is much better in cold climates. I would be interested in finding out if Nissanworks has tested their spacer in cold climates as harsh as the ones we have up here in Montreal....I have seen winter days here as cold as minus 35 F and even colder with the wind chill effect...like down to below minus 45 F! Coefficient of expansion and contraction can be deadly on an engine. The laws of thermodynamics: strange things can happen when we are talking about extremes of temperatures.
I am going to investigate this more thoroughly on Monday and I will let you guys know what I find out here.

On another note, I know a shop up here that installs turbos, superchargers and headers and intakes on Nissans and Infinitis. One of the owners has a 2003 Inifinit G35 Coupe with the Kinetix hearders in Chrome and twin turbos....he says he's pushing over 400 HP! Woof! Sounds good too.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:34 PM

more info for the maxima kit ...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
more info for the maxima kit ...
NWPengineering.com
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 AM

Apparently they have now have a kit for the Maxima...I was told the kit is about $300 Can. The reason that I am interested in this spacer is that it is ISOTHERMAL and this is a copper based composite.
This type of spacer is much better in cold climates. I would be interested in finding out if Nissanworks has tested their spacer in cold climates as harsh as the ones we have up here in Montreal....I have seen winter days here as cold as minus 35 F and even colder with the wind chill effect...like down to below minus 45 F! Coefficient of expansion and contraction can be deadly on an engine. The laws of thermodynamics: strange things can happen when we are talking about extremes of temperatures.
I am going to investigate this more thoroughly on Monday and I will let you guys know what I find out here.

On another note, I know a shop up here that installs turbos, superchargers and headers and intakes on Nissans and Infinitis. One of the owners has a 2003 Inifinit G35 Coupe with the Kinetix hearders in Chrome and twin turbos....he says he's pushing over 400 HP! Woof! Sounds good too.
I would ask Aaron92SE if he has had them tested up there in your coldest/extreme conditions. I bet if not, he would be interested in it. Maybe shoot him a pm?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 AM

This type of spacer is much better in cold climates. I would be interested in finding out if Nissanworks has tested their spacer in cold climates as harsh as the ones we have up here in Montreal....I have seen winter days here as cold as minus 35 F and even colder with the wind chill effect...like down to below minus 45 F! .......
Cooper or any type of metal would transfer heat faster. That's not what we want. It looks like the "cooper based" is actually call the Copper ISO Thermal spacer because of the the Polarized Copper TB heater. click on the pic and see the cooper piece.

They also say:
"4) The fourth thermal management component is the Copper Throttle Body heater. Its a optional plug and play, set and forget component that can be used in place of the Coolant Control Valve (CCV). It doesn't matter how hot or cold the weather is, you don't have to adjust a valve based on the season or ambient temperatures. Just install it and the throttle body remains heated while the plenum remains thermally isolated. Keeping the throttle body heated prevents ice formation on the throttle body butterfly valve when driving in cold weather. If it snows or gets really cold in your area, get the Copper Iso Thermal."

Honestly I don't see the need, it's hard for me to imagine ice formation on the throttle body of our cars, too hot in the engine compartment. I live in Denver Co and we can have some tough winters too.

But I don't forsee any problems with the IM spacers I have one the car now.
I have the NWP Engineering (formely NissanWorks) IM spacers, they are high quality and its hard to find a better guy to work with than Aaron.
http://www.nwpengineering.com/index.html At $235 you get something tailor made to fit our engines. That would be my recommendation.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Check this out at:

I am sorry, this kit will not fit the Maxima. The Maxima has a completely different intake manifold design than the RWD VQ35DE. Their website doesn't say anything pertaining to the FWD Maxima.

The TB spacer will work on the Maxima though. My TB spacer is port matched though. Other's aren't! Also, the large RWD VQ35 intake plenum spacer will not fit on the Maxima. And I don't recommend installing just the TB spacer by itself. You will not see any noticeable gains with the TB spacer alone. You need to keep the lower and upper intake manifold, as well as the elbow from getting hot.

If they do have a kit made for the Maxima, is it properly port matched to improve airflow? Most companies scan the gaskets to make a spacer. Gaskets are not port matched. When making a thick spacer that isn't port matched, you will be hurting the airflow much worse than stock.

Also, is Motordyne conducting dyno testing on the Maxima to prove it's gain? NWP Engineering does.

Also about the copper bracket they make. The purpose for installing phenolic intake spacers is to insulate the intake manifold. BUT, for extreme cold climates that you are in, you do not need this copper bracket on your car. On the Maxima, coolant is already flowing through the Elbow right behind the Throttle Body. When you install my spacer kit, do not use my coolant bypass fitting if you are worried about ice forming around the TB.

I HAVE tested my spacers in northern US and Canada. I always tell those that live in colder climates that if the temps ever get below zero, then do not install my coolant bypass fitting for safe measure. But on a hot motor, it takes a LOT for ice to form around the TB, even with the coolant bypassed.

But, in the insanely cold climates you live in, do not bypass the coolant and you will be good to go.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my products or spacers in general. I'm more than happy to help out.