6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?

I have been on this forum for almost three years and have been fairly heavily involved with lots of different modifications. Recently, I have had more of a chance to experience other forums since two of my kids have cars now - 2002 Celica TRD Action Package, and 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6. I have explored those forums (newcelica.org and newtiburon.com) as well as BMW, Evolution, VW, Honda, Mercedes and other forums. I have noticed that the 6th Generation Maxima forum seems to be clearly the most conservative with respect to modifications, as I was wondering why.
For example, if you take a Cook's tour of these other forums, you will notice these guys modifying everything we do, plus interiors, new seats, steering wheels, paint jobs and much more. This includes BMW and Mercedes guys so its not like luxury cars are excluded. It seems that here everyone gets rims and maybe a drop, perhaps a G35 spoiler or 07 Max spoiler, perhaps some TVs and sound systems, lights, intake, cat back, and thats about it. There are always exceptions, myself included, but it is sort of surprising to me.

I hope thoughtful people like Light, Chern, Ramberg, Kamski, Swee and others respond and share your thoughts.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

im sad u didnt put my name in there hahaah
Old 09-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Newbie just Registered

I think the lack of readily available mods has a lot to do with it. The cars you mentioned have much better variety of mods from different sources. I also have a 5 series BMW and the list of available mods are less than 6th gen, but the 3 series is a different story.

I look and wait for specific mods, and usually I'm one of the first to get the mods I currently have. And because I'm on stock wheels and stock mufflers, my car still looks very stock.

Last edited by RHMax; 09-29-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Apparently you’re one of the only brave/ ruthless/fearless, and that’s the attitude I like. Keep at it Dues. I support it. :thumbsup

And please do not blame that shat on lack of market. Make your own damn mods, i.e. Dues's intake

Last edited by NmexMAX; 09-29-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Im back to moddin as the money flows in. Next on the list is IM modding, Aarons spacer kit, new plugs while the IMs off and possibly porting the upper IM and elbow if its worth it. Cattman Y, then the wait for the exhaust manifolds. L spec flash, and some tuning with the vafcII. I think its gonna be a while.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Glude
Im back to moddin as the money flows in. Next on the list is IM modding, Aarons spacer kit, new plugs while the IMs off and possibly porting the upper IM and elbow if its worth it. Cattman Y, then the wait for the exhaust manifolds. L spec flash, and some tuning with the vafcII. I think its gonna be a while.
It’s about fuggin time mang. x10e^10
Old 09-29-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It’s about fuggin time mang. x10e^10
Answer me on AIM...LOL
Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Get the F-spec tune from S (CVTC re-map) Or, just get a Z/G ECU
Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Newbie just Registered

And please do not blame that shat on lack of morket. Make your own damn mods, i.e. Dues's intake

Generally speaking, lack of mods is a big part for most people who don't have the time or the knowledge. So yeah, I can blame it on lack of available mods.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Glude
Answer me on AIM...LOL
Get @ me dogg!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
SickSE

Because we like the more stock look......

Modifying a car to the point where it is unidentifiable is far to tacky for most of us.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 PM

Well IMHO, even though our cars are not the most expensive and most luxurous, I still feel that they are quality cars and I think many mods can really cheapen the look of this. Especially when people start doing retarded exterior mods like those chrome pilars and what not. I like a quality look with just enough mods to enhance the car, and not degrade by going overboard. The other issue is warranty as many of us have discussed. We all know that many Nissan dealers are very conservative when it comes to accepting to do warranty work and many of us have extended warranties. By again, thats just my humble opinion and my reason for not doing too too much.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 AM

RHMax, SickSE and killahKane hit good points.

I personally feel the 6th gen Maxima was a rather clean and cutting-edge design from the get-go, and only carefully chosen mods would actually improve the exterior look. And when you already have one of the best and most dependable engines on earth, an engine that already has more power than the average driver can properly control, why waste money trying to convert it to a race car? Especially when you would be risking your VERY important 5 year power train warranty? That would not be very wise.

I am among those who scanned the net for the first few years I owned my 6th gen, and was disappointed at the sparse choice of modding stuff that I felt really added to the car. I bought a roll of half inch thick, two inch wide hard black rubber trim and encircled the wheel wells in order to protect the side, added a sunroof wind deflector, splash guards, compartmentalized trunk cargo system, rain guards, etc, cleaned off all dealer logos, threw a 400 Watt power supply/air compressor and good quality jumper cables in the trunk, put on psi displaying valve stem extensions, and have been very happy with everything.

Of course those things are more appropriate for my practical SL than they would be for an SE. If I has an SE, I would have replaced the grille at first opportunity. The OE grille is fine for the SL, but is not reflective of what an SE is all about. For the SE, I would also have put in the best front and rear stabilizer bars, struts, etc, I could find.

Many folks into heavy modding do not have a 16 hour schedule and full calendar of committments every day. For instance, I keep 7 acres mowed and trimmed, over 1000 feet of drive and walks edged, over 3000 feet of fence maintained, lots of trees pruned, bushes trimmed, etc., and a large home maintained. I also belong to several civic organizations, help with the Sheriff's Department, write articles for publication, edit material for two authors, have children and grandchildren to visit (in other towns) and have committments at church. All that takes lots of time, and I am convinced there are others on the org who have fuller schedules than I. Doesn't leave time for modding.

The 6th gen Maxima was an eye-catching design and solid performer from day one. I think many folks would rather be out driving it than having it on jackstands trying to mess with something that already works for most of us. But then those folks still in their 40s, 50s and 60s will have to answer this question for the younger set.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Many folks into heavy modding do not have a 16 hour schedule and full calendar of committments every day. .

I do.

For instance,
Old 09-30-2007, 02:51 AM

I do.

Nmex, LOL!!!! With all due respect, I think Light missed the point of this post which was to GENERALLY determine why 6th Gen Maxima owners (as compared to other aforementioned car owners seem to not want to do heavy mods and used it as a sounding board to flame people who choose to mod their cars, busy schedule or not. Apparently Light, you chose other activities to occupy your time, other than modding cars, which is great. But it doesnt answer the question of why 6th Gen Maxima owners as a class of people seem to shy away from heavy modding.

Others such as Glude has financial issues that are now resolved. RHMax points out that there is a lack of parts. While htis may be true, why have only 2 people on this forum (that Im aware of) changed their seat? Why hasnt anyone changed their steering wheel. People do it all the time on Bimmer, Benz, and other cars. Why are their only two present producers of body kits?

Those are the kind of rhetorical questions Im looking for as the essence to my post, not who has the busiest schedule, or who personally thinks the Maxima should not be modified, or who thinks its because of a 5 year warrenty or whatever. EVERY newer car owners have those issues, so those clearly arent the reasons.
For the record, its hard to imagine anyone with a busier schedule than me, yet I elect to make time to do the mods cuz I love to. Thats not the point of this thread though.
I do appreciate the input though by all. More opinions anyone?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

This is why I love you gentlemen.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:09 AM

Very good question. And here is my answer.
I based it on my past experience from owning a 4th gen.
I don't do exterior mods like rims and lights because I don't
want to attract negative attention. Besides, the 4th gen use to come
with 15" rims so going to OEM 18" is an upgrade for me. Back in the days, the
clear corners were popular for the 4th gen, but they were getting
stolen. And that is the exact same reason why I don't do interior
mods like video and audio. Again, being part of this forum since 1997
I have heard other members here with windows being broken and
had their equipment ripped out. As for performance mods, the
usual bolt on mods like intake and exhaust are for high RPM gain
with sacrifice of low end. I do a lot of city/traffic driving so I perfer
keeping the low end. For 4th gen, I had short ram intake and
lost low end. Then I went with a cold air intake, but didn't really feel
a difference. It was a pain to access the wheel well when I had to
clean the filter. So for the 6th gen, I simply went with a drop in K&N panel
filter. On the 4th gen, I had a catback GReddy exhaust and again I lost low end.
And people with Y-pipes were failing NYC emissions. For the 6th gen, dual exhaust is good enough for me. As for suspension, NYC roads are horrible for any stiff suspension mods. For the 4th gen, I had lowering springs and stiffer struts. With the springs, I either bottom out or get stuck in snow. For struts, the ride is harsh on bumpy roads and feels horrible on potholes. So now I only do the basic strut bar, sway bar, endlinks, and bushings. These mods don't expires and this is important because I drive 24k miles a years. So every 2.5yrs I will spend about $1000 just to change tires for these 18" rims. So mileage, weather, and rust factor are other reasons. I just need something reliable with some power right out of the box. Besides I went from a 190HP car to 265HP so that's a gain itself. But I do enjoy reading what other members are doing
with their hardcore mods.

Last edited by Albert; 09-30-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:23 AM
.org extraordinaire

I love the sleeper look of a car. I dont have much done to my car, only lip and rims really on the exterior. Even the mufflers are stock and quiet. To me where it matters is under the skin. The engine, brakes, suspension. That all comes into play when I'm at the track.

Its a great feeling when you school some 19 year old in a 350z, Celica, Honda, BMW or something else thats decked out on the outside.... and they come up to you after 20 laps on pit lane and ask, "what do you got in that thing?" , I usually chuckle and say "its not what i got in here, its all that bondo and fiberglass you got thats slowing you down"

Mods are great, intake, UIM, headers, (proper) exhaust, tuning, shocks, springs, swaybars, brakes, tires... they all add to a functionality level of a vehilce. Just like an ECU after a new mod, we also must re-learn how to drive a car thats lowered, brakes better, etc.....

I'm not big on doing exterior mods to my car, (cause of my job), but i love the feeling that i can just tap the throttle and disapear.

There is a fine balance to walk between: USEFULNESS and TACKYNESS of modding. Go to far with your car and you end up on the tacky end of the scale, (insert pic of maxima with 22" gold spoke rims and no roof here).

I love some of the 6th gens here on the .org, Chernmax (redheat), Deuski (nightrider), Ramberg (punisher) and a plethora of others. But some 6th gens......er..... just have to ask my self, whats the point?

1)USEFUL/TACKY
2)LOOK vs. PERFORM
3)HOT vs. SLOP

what would you rather be, USEFUL, PERFORMING HOT or TACKY LOOKING SLOP?

PEACE OUT,

Kamski
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 AM

Wow, lots of great input here.

For me;
I had done quite a bit at the 15th month of ownership. All at that time, I had saved cash for the drop, rsb, grille, tint and the hubby bought the intake for Christmas for me. Nice thing too is that I am a gal so I felt I had jumped right in with reckless abandon for my first modded vehicle.

As you know from pm's with me, there have been major personal changes that put modding on hold.
Those rough changes are starting to smooth out a bit and are allowing a bit more time and some funds for 'toys' for my 'baby'. Plus, like RH, I wait a bit for these new products. I look for the ones I want, and do my homework on the ones I haven't considered yet. (Like the spacers). I also ask "is it worth it", you know, the whole 'cost vs gain' question.
I am timid of the warranty in one moment and callous about it the next. I am also in the process of looking for a car for my daughter that her and I can mod together.

I also take Eric's opinion and input very seriously. If he is leery, then I wait until his curiousity is satisfied. Also, if I jump the gun and buy what I want, it leaves him minimal ideas for Christmas/Anniversary/Birthday gifts for me (as I did with the drop and rsb, talk about frustration). I know he is looking into the spacers. Now if I bought those early, I've robbed him of an opportunity to bless me. As part of his gift, we spend the first half of the afternoon together installing the new item, and the other half, arguing who gets to drive it first after the install. My car, I win, hands down. I drive as soon as he is done!

I also agree with RH, there isn't much that grabs my attention. I am looking forward to the turbo kit for our cars, that Chris is currently working on. I think I would like to have my roof blacked out. I don't care for tinted tails, at least not terribly dark ones. I would like the Redline Bumper, but can see it getting ruined pulling into my sloped driveway, regardless of carefulness taken, and angles given. I would REALLY like to put the G spoiler on, but I have the 'lip spoiler' on my car. I have to find a shop that can remove and correct the holes it will leave, RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. (Not much of that around here). I tried the whole rims thing, and I was left feeling nauseaus:

I love the new aggressive eyelids, just not sure if it will look nicey or ricey on my white max. That is usually a factor also.

Rims are in the future, just not sure which yet.

Whatever I do, I will balance so that I am show and go!

Last edited by 4MySwee; 09-30-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:56 AM

In my honest opinion, modding the exterior of the car has to be kept at a minimum. This is not a Cavalier or a Civic. To me, my SL is a luxury car, and putting racing rims, eyelids and wings (well, I don't mind wings so much ) makes the car look tacky. Modding the engine is a whole other thing, but making the Maxima loud is equally ridiculous.

I mean, lets face it, you spend 30,XXX thousand dollars on a car and slap a bunch of ridiculous parts on it and make it look like a teenagers car?

All mods I plan to do try to incorporate the stock look (which I find to be stunningly beautiful) with small changes to increase the beauty.

With all this being said, I have no problems with people who are not in agreement and change the outside of their cars to another degree; we just have different motivations.

But I think that most people see the 6th gen as being different from previous generations - more luxurious. I think Nissan saw it this way too.

Joshua
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 AM

Deus i have tinted windows and i put spoiler on. would that be modifying?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 AM

... I bought a roll of half inch thick, two inch wide hard black rubber trim and encircled the wheel wells in order to protect the side, added a sunroof wind deflector, splash guards, compartmentalized trunk cargo system, rain guards, etc, cleaned off all dealer logos, threw a 400 Watt power supply/air compressor and good quality jumper cables in the trunk, put on psi displaying valve stem extensions, and have been very happy with everything. ...

I would so much like to clean off the dealer logos. Is it just a simple do-it-yourself job or do I need to go to a professional paint/body shop?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:27 AM

I believe, someone who is not content with his car's exterior, interior, performance or anything else, mods his car. Till now I am very content with my Maxima except that I get 18/25 mpg in the city/highway. I would like to get 25/32 mpg without compromising on anything that I already have. Does Deus or anyone else have a mod for me?

Last edited by bb700092; 09-30-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 AM

Just not enough mods out..Everything is so basic, I mean they only have like 1 decent looking bumper for the 04-06..I have the 07, and I'm having my doubt that stillen will even make a lip kit..Just not enough support.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Dues, IMO at least over here where I live (MD. DC, VA, NY), many 6th genners don't want heavy mods because many park there cars on the street, verse some of us with the safety of a garage, I personally would think twice about the amount of modding if I had to put my car out in the street. When I drive to NYC, I usually bring my SUV, but if I bring my Max, I put it in a secure lot and use public transportation. In hindsight, I've never grown up so I'm going upstairs, sit in my car, rev my engine, and suck my thumb...

One thing I do love where I live is my car turns a lot of heads because there are not only few Maximas (many new Alti's popping up though) but sitting next to another Max, most will look over and ask what kind of Nissan is that??? hahahahhahahaaaaaa....

Last edited by chernmax; 09-30-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 AM
GrandPa

Good question. We are all individuals that like different things. All thru my years I have never modded a car. Just worked and took care of the family. Even after I retired I had no thoughts about modding. I brought the Max because I liked it and wanted a new car to drive around. One day I was checking web sites about the max and I found Stillen.com. I saw the grills that that they were selling, I liked one and brought it. I installed it and it started my new addiction of modding my car. I have meet many great ppl because of my car. I consider chermax my best friend and he has helped me alot with some of my mods. I am lucky that I have a parking space where I live. Here in NYC there is alot more street parking that off street parking. So security would be another reason for not modding. You can find off street parking if you want to pay 200 dollars and up per month.

I wish everyone the best if they want to mod or not.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:18 AM

i have a question to ask, my main reason for not modding is i'm kinda of disappointed in the maxima. i've had it for about 3 years and have around 54,000 miles on it. My main problem is that the car doesnt pick up and more (in my opinion), i dont know what it is, i've never done any performance to the car except a fujita cai, i have put around 4-5k into my car but its been more interior and audio wise. I do want to do performance but really do not know where to start and even if its worth it for that matter. As far at maintenance has been, i have always done an oil change on time, recently have the tranny and brake fluid flushed, also had something done where they remove the carbon buildup in the throttle. Overall, i dont know i just feel like the maxima is slow and heavy, or at least MINE is... wish i could do something to change that.... also, one other thing that has horribly disappointed me in the maxima are the brakes, i have changed to hawk hps pads and drilled rotors but i hate the fact that i need to machine the rotors every year pretty much because the maxima just will not stop shaking when i brake. I am a pretty aggressive driver but nothing extreme, use to be but that was before i started modding and really spending my money.

Another concern of mine would be, if i was to start doing performance mod what would be the "best" mod for me, as far as gaining pickup and making the car faster, and NO, i cannot afford a supercharger like chernmax but hopefully someday that will be an option for me either on the max or another car...

thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 AM
MAXIN' ON

I did a custom y pipe back even before I found these forums . I just bought an emanage ultimate and that outcome will remain to be seen as I know very little and have been doing alot of reading.In fact my stupid custom y pipe back cost me more that what I could have bought jut about most exhausts out there. When I get a job I will continue with other things like I have some ideas about diffusers from other cars I have seen. Just need to get there dimensions.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:31 PM

I think alot of it has to do money and support. Honestly, I can count the parts made for my car on two hands, that's pathetic. Also cost is prohibative, everything is expensive, and the gain is minimal. To that end I could dumb 10k into my 33k car and be slower than if I spent 43k on a RWD 4door. It all adds up, I don't mod to be the fastest, I mod because I enjoy it. Granted I don't have any recent things done, but I'm at the point where I either crack the motor open or settle for what I've got (headers withstanding). I also feel that most people in Maximas don't know anything about their cars, for gods sake how many times is the question asked if Altima parts will fit, or a Z part, the Altima(pre 07) is the same chassis and the Z intake and exhaust is RWD (yes you can mod it to fit).

As for looks, I don't spend money on things that don't perform when I have plenty of other things to buy that do perform, like my new bike.

I love playing with my Max, but until I have more parts availible or the time to design and build new ones, my modding is over.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Newbie just Registered

As far as seats and steering wheel, they have air bags in them. I'd rather not go without in my daily commute.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM

'After further review', I see that my previous post sort of strayed from the question. The simple truth for me is that, once I moved from 'old age' to 'decrepid', and had my back and knees 'go out' on me, I decided I would just rather be driving my Maxima than working on it. We take lots of trips to very interesting places, and love the way our Maxima performs.

I have noticed around where I live that (with exceptions) modders tend to be younger folks (under age sixty) working on American nameplates, while folks over sixty are much more likely to be working on restoring 'A' Model and 'T' model Fords and other cars from the depresion era. This area is loaded with cars from the 1920s and 1930s that are being driven around town every day, mostly by geezers around my age.

Interestingly, I don't recall seeing any foreign nameplate luxury or near-luxury car around here that shows any sign of having been modded. I don't know why that is.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
As far as seats and steering wheel, they have air bags in them. I'd rather not go without in my daily commute.
I agree regarding steering wheel. I figure the other 6 airbags will help out in case of impact, so I will replace my seats.

But here is the real point. In other forums, PEOPLE DONT SEEM AS CONCERNED ABOUT REPLACING SEATS AND STEERING WHEELS ETC in both high end and lower end cars alike. Why???---> Why are Maxima owners different from all other owners? ( I know, it sounds like one of the 4 questions asked on Passover)
Old 09-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Well, speaking as one of the "not-so-thoughtful" members, lets face it-there are a lot of bashers/haters on this here site. There are people on this site that have nothing better to do than down someones Mods.

So, I believe this has produced "in-the-closet" modders. My last couple of Mods I hid from this site knowing that because of the mods, people on this site would say..."my car would blow up, catch on fire, or disappear altogether and cause world hunger".

The sheer amount of non-supportive members, renders posting anything about some Mods a excersise in futility in terms of fun.

Also, why continue exteriorly Mod something as beautiful as this (afterall I'm tired of working)...

NOTICE HOW LEVEL SHE SITS (Shhhh, I didn't cut anything...)
Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Well, speaking as one of the "not-so-thoughtful" members, lets face it-there are a lot of bashers/haters on this here site. There are people on this site that have nothing better to do than down someones Mods.

So, I believe this has produced "in-the-closet" modders. My last couple of Mods I hid from this site knowing that because of the mods, people on this site would say..."my car would blow up, catch on fire, or disappear altogether and cause world hunger".

The sheer amount of non-supportive members, renders posting anything about some Mods a excersise in futility in terms of fun.

Also, why continue exteriorly Mod something as beautiful as this (afterall I'm tired of working)...

NOTICE HOW LEVEL SHE SITS (Shhhh, I didn't cut anything...)

Very beautiful maxima.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM
SickSE

Thats beautiful man. Really, I dig your car so much. But whats with those two plug lookin dots on your front bumper? U gotta plate there or somm? But other than that....A+

Old 09-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SickSE
Thats beautiful man. Really, I dig your car so much. But whats with those two plug lookin dots on your front bumper? U gotta plate there or somm? But other than that....A+
Thanks BB700092 and SE. I really appreciate the kind words. Means alot coming from you guys.

The two holes for the front plate I plugged with painted screws.
One of the great things about AZ is you don't have to have a ugly front plate on your car.

Basically, if you hit someone, back away from the scene far enough before you turn around and step on it! J/K

I would also like to add in reference to the original post, we may be afraid of modding--but we are NOT afraid of talking about why we are afraid of modding. LOL
Old 09-30-2007, 04:44 PM
SickSE

I think we are kind of beating a dead horse on this one. Our Maximas come outta the factory looking sharp. A tint job maybe a little of this or a little of that and its A WRAP!! Changing things just to change them is....

Steering wheel? Common bro I am just not feeling that idea. What style would possibly look better than the ones that come stock?

Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=coolmax05;5975616]Well, speaking as one of the "not-so-thoughtful" members, lets face it-there are a lot of bashers/haters on this here site. There are people on this site that have nothing better to do than down someones Mods.

[

Your car is looking hot and you should not worry what the flamers and haters say. There are alot of members that do care.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SickSE
I think we are kind of beating a dead horse on this one. Our Maximas come outta the factory looking sharp. A tint job maybe a little of this or a little of that and its A WRAP!! Changing things just to change them is....

Steering wheel? Common bro I am just not feeling that idea. What style would possibly look better than the ones that come stock?
Its not beating a dead horse. I dont really want to know what mods people like. I already know that. Im looking for why 6th gen owners want basic mods and no more.

SickSE, your last statement regarding the steering wheel is exactly why I started this thread. I want to know WHY do owners of other types of cars not mind this idea, but you and other 6th gen owners dont feel the idea? I have no problem with 6th Gen owners not feeling the ideas, but Im curious WHY 6th gen owners dont like major changes to their cars, with few exceptions?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 PM
GrandPa

'After further review', I see that my previous post sort of strayed from the question. The simple truth for me is that, once I moved from 'old age' to 'decrepid', and had my back and knees 'go out' on me, I decided I would just rather be driving my Maxima than working on it. We take lots of trips to very interesting places, and love the way our Maxima performs.

I have noticed around where I live that (with exceptions) modders tend to be younger folks (under age sixty) working on American nameplates, while folks over sixty are much more likely to be working on restoring 'A' Model and 'T' model Fords and other cars from the depresion era. This area is loaded with cars from the 1920s and 1930s that are being driven around town every day, mostly by geezers around my age.

Interestingly, I don't recall seeing any foreign nameplate luxury or near-luxury car around here that shows any sign of having been modded. I don't know why that is.
Short story. I was at a meet in my area a few ago and there were alot of old muscle cars. This young kid asked me how old I was. I told him I will be 61 in Nov. He than asked why I have a Max instead of one the old cars. I told him that was the past and this is the present. He was amazed that a old man was modding a 6th gen. Maxima. lol

Quick Reply: Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?