6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
i agree with you because look at the carbon fiber hood thread. every1 was like COOOL YEAH ILL DEF BUY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT. now look at that list. 2 ppl. majestic and I. (unless there has been more ppl that have been added to the list i havent checked the thread yet) i think 6th gens are afraid to modify because the ppl that buy it are of the older crowd with families and other things to take care of. ::hides::
How much weight would a CF hood save over our aluminum one? How much would it cost for the weight-saving? I think many of us have been burned a few times with signing up for products and waited too long for delivery.

Ironically, most of the heavily moded 6th gens belong to "older" guys.

Last edited by RHMax; 12-12-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHMax
How much weight would a CF hood save over our aluminum one? How much would it cost for the weight-saving? I think many of us have been burned a few times with signing up for products and waited too long for delivery.

I believe the hood is done for looks and to vent the engine, not weight savings. There may be minor weight savings.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM

20 times more product choices to fit everyones budgets with hondas usally 1 to 2 choices for 6th gen max at top dollar. Afraid my A@z! Money smart is what I call it!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 PM

i dont think im HEAVILY modded but i have a decent mod list. im no where near old! and yes it wouldnt be much weight lost but it looks cool! haha and also my hood is all chipped the hell up might as well buy a new hood that looks better than spending like 200 to paint a hood

Originally Posted by mightymax5
20 times more product choices to fit everyones budgets with hondas usally 1 to 2 choices for 6th gen max at top dollar. Afraid my A@z! Money smart is what I call it!
well if you look at the prices of all after market parts they are pretty much the same price range give or take some money.

Last edited by My-Body-Is-Ready; 12-12-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 PM

b&m shifter doesn't exist for 6th gen max have to order a altima or have to buy knock off , front sway bar have to order a altima ser, bbk have to get 300zx/350zor take a second mortgage ,just some examples. What's really needed is a forum afforable 6th gen dealers wanted by over 50% of max.orgers for affordable upgrades!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Thats the way it is with most cars, I generally don't see younger drivers putting anything substantial on their cars and those who do are few and far between, lets be thankful for the internet, it definitely closed the gap for those who want to mod and find others who do the same.

The 6th Gen might be lacking but there are other cars that are even worse, I would guess more stuff will pop up now that their are plenty of 6th Gens on the road, to bad Nissan had to throw a CVT into the 07/08
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 AM
GrandPa

A lot of young people are starting out in life, jobs, family which is more important than than doing mods on their cars. Car and insurance payments take a big chunk of the budget. You all know what the other expenses are. As I stated in another reply is that I never did mods on any of my cars until I retired. My daughters are out of the house and I had a few extra dollars to do some mods. I don't even want to think what I spent so far on my Max. My wife would kill me if she knew. lol

No matter what you do in life family comes first.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
A lot of young people are starting out in life, jobs, family which is more important than than doing mods on their cars. Car and insurance payments take a big chunk of the budget. You all know what the other expenses are. As I stated in another reply is that I never did mods on any of my cars until I retired. My daughters are out of the house and I had a few extra dollars to do some mods. I don't even want to think what I spent so far on my Max. My wife would kill me if she knew. lol

No matter what you do in life family comes first.
This is true. However, that answers the question, why ANYONE in that position would not be able to mod their car. My question is, why does it seem that 6th gen owners don't modify their cars to the extent almost all other owners of OTHER cars.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Incognito

I honestly think alot of it comes down to cost and availbility. If the supply was higher so would the demand. I would love to mod the hell out of my car, however with work/school full time funds are tight. I do what I can when I can, but its a slow and steady modding pace. Had the car for about 3months, did my Fujita CAI, Racingline FSTB, AT Grounding kit, JL Audio Wiring, LED's, and my HID kit. Its a pricey car to mod.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by BigPete
Its a pricey car to mod.
Gotta pay to play.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Incognito

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Gotta pay to play.

mos def. and I fully plan on paying plenty
Old 12-13-2007, 02:44 PM

So you think the reason is lack of availability of aftermarket parts? I think if Nissan promoted performance products, like Honda, Mazda, and even Lexus and other car companies, then there would be more incentive for manufacturers to produce aftermarket parts for our cars
Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM
ShiftVQ35

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Get the F-spec tune from S (CVTC re-map)
care to elaborate more?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
i agree with you because look at the carbon fiber hood thread. every1 was like COOOL YEAH ILL DEF BUY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT. now look at that list. 2 ppl. majestic and I. (unless there has been more ppl that have been added to the list i havent checked the thread yet) i think 6th gens are afraid to modify because the ppl that buy it are of the older crowd with families and other things to take care of. ::hides::

When it came out everyone was a buyer. Just look at the list for the CF Hood now. Only three people signed up....
Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
So you think the reason is lack of availability of aftermarket parts? I think if Nissan promoted performance products, like Honda, Mazda, and even Lexus and other car companies, then there would be more incentive for manufacturers to produce aftermarket parts for our cars
you mean like NISMO parts...as opposed to TRD or something?
or like making the mazda 6 FWD V6 and the mazdaspeed6 turbo 4 which runs 13's awd?

cuz nismo is well known...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
you mean like NISMO parts...as opposed to TRD or something?
or like making the mazda 6 FWD V6 and the mazdaspeed6 turbo 4 which runs 13's awd?

cuz nismo is well known...
I know NISMO is well known, but you should have seen the Nissan display at SEMA this year.... . . . PATHETIC. No Maximas in the entire show. A couple Altimas, a couple Sentras, a ton of Zs. No representation of Maximas ANYWHERE there. It sucked. Incredible show though.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM

Deus, I think this is a really interesting topic. Unfortunately, most people are giving you answers based on THEIR PERSONAL reason for not modding. The question doesn't have anything to do with person reasons, but rather why the general populations differ.

I think it comes down to how sporty the car is, and how many mods it takes to make the car feel sporty. In my opinion (as a 5th gen owner) the 6th gen maxima isn't a "sporty" car. Actually, I don't think of the 5th gen as a sporty car either. The difference is that a 5th gen will take fewer mods to get that sports car look than a 6th gen.

I think with a 6th gen you have to go all out to make it look aggressive and sporty. Because it's more of an "all or nothing" decision, fewer people are likely to go the "all" route.

That's actually they way I thought about my 5th gen when I first got it. I thought to myself, I have a comfortable, high quality, reliable, and nice daily driver. Why mess with it? But then once I did a few mods, I realized the car has the potential to look really nice without many mods. If I had to spend 10 grand to make the car look as nice as I wanted, then I would never try it.

Anyway, thats just my opinion. But good thing there are some of you guys out there who do go all out, because your modded 6th gens look sick.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ShiftVQ35
care to elaborate more?
Jesus, you brought that one from left field(i.e. a few pages back). PM me, I'll give you details. I've already posted them on here, but in this thread, IMO, it's
Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Armon
Deus, I think this is a really interesting topic. Unfortunately, most people are giving you answers based on THEIR PERSONAL reason for not modding. The question doesn't have anything to do with person reasons, but rather why the general populations differ.

I think it comes down to how sporty the car is, and how many mods it takes to make the car feel sporty. In my opinion (as a 5th gen owner) the 6th gen maxima isn't a "sporty" car. Actually, I don't think of the 5th gen as a sporty car either. The difference is that a 5th gen will take fewer mods to get that sports car look than a 6th gen.

I think with a 6th gen you have to go all out to make it look aggressive and sporty. Because it's more of an "all or nothing" decision, fewer people are likely to go the "all" route.

That's actually they way I thought about my 5th gen when I first got it. I thought to myself, I have a comfortable, high quality, reliable, and nice daily driver. Why mess with it? But then once I did a few mods, I realized the car has the potential to look really nice without many mods. If I had to spend 10 grand to make the car look as nice as I wanted, then I would never try it.

Anyway, thats just my opinion. But good thing there are some of you guys out there who do go all out, because your modded 6th gens look sick.
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
But compare the Benz, Bimmer, Audi driver to Maxima. How about Lexus IS series cars. They mod their cars and I imagine they have the same profile as Maxima drivers.

I appreciate each person's situation for not being able to mod their cars - kids (I have 3!!!), money, mortgages, etc. But why, as a whole group, do Maxima drivers not want to, or are reluctant to, modify the cars unlike almost every other driver of other cars?? If Maxima owners showed more interest, perhaps manufacturers would be more inclined to produce i.e. CF hoods, splitters, diffusers, engine mods, turbos, Superchargers, etc. etc. Dont you think? Its a question of which came first - the chicken or the egg? Did Maxima owners not mod because they werent available, or did manufacturers not make products because Maxima owners do not want to mod. I believe its the latter and I want to know why the heck thats the case. Why is Chern, and me, and Ramberg and Presence, and a few others practically the only ones doing major mods?

I figured you might cite products from companies like RennTech, AMG, TechArt etc...
Those tuners are there for the elite, lets face it, those are companies who make products (packages) that might be marketed in the area of $20,000+++
What Nissan owners want is aftermarket support from a wide range of smaller companies who support one make/model, the amount of product for a civic is probably represented by literally hundreds of small companies and maybe a few core tuners. So what we face is a mid priced car that does not demand the $20,000+ packages that specialty high priced tuners like Renn-Tech cater to...nor the low priced plethora of offerings from the cheapo companies that make the various products for the low priced tuner crowd. We are stuck in the middle with our cars as we don't fit the demographic of the money is no object top tuner crowd nor the dont have much money but want to mod at the lowest price crowd.

My .02, I think it makes sense

Last edited by 04BlackMaxx; 12-14-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM

i have no money i would hook it up just like you would lol
Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 AM

This thread is REALLY relevant considering that no one has done anything about the CF hood, the front bumper and rear bumper ideas yet, even though there are some great ideas for our cars. Its really a shame.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 AM

deus, you are making me feel bad man!, dont forget about me, I just took over the hood project, so there, we are getting cf hood and the front bumper, patience young grass hopa.

o yea no rear bumper for now though, (cf hoods are expensive!)
Old 12-29-2007, 12:24 AM

Max, Sorry, didnt mean to make ya feel bad. Whats the prgoress on the CF hood?

I dont think anyone is gonna want the rear that I want. I really want the center exhaust. I made my mind up. And you know what happens when I make my mind up.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:29 AM

,,,, yea we'll prolly see that center exhaust in your car next weekend!,

about the cf hood, I got a quote from them today I just have to do my math and thats it.