6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

bose stereo...only ok....but WHY?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM
seanish4042

bose stereo...only ok....but WHY?!

i wouldnt ask this if it was a repost.

i had a 95 gle, with the bose system. imo, it blew this thing out of the water. why is it...that 10 years later...with 2 more speakers and 120 more watts of power...the system sounds worse? the bass on many rock songs barely makes itself known whatsoever. funny that the system actually sounds better for rap. (does the way a player reads the cds have anything to do with that?)

im looking for some actual scientific explanations/educated opinions here...not just 'bose sucks you should do what i did and spend 2 g's on a system that i play ja rule and linkin park really loud on' (two worst things ever)

i really am just trying to understand how a company can actually take a step backwards after 10 years.

also...would i be smart to have say a circuit city or best buy install an infinity basslink? cause i have no freakn clue how and dont feel like doing it myself. if anyone in the philly area has done this, lemme know.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM

I have no explanation since I think the stock bose system is great except for the fact that the left side speakers cutting out is a known issue. But when everything works properly, I think its one of the best stock sound systems I ever heard.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 PM
seanish4042

drive a 4th gen w/ bose for a week, then switch back. youll be pretty sad.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM

I owned the 4th Gen before with bose, for 6 years. Still dont agree
Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 PM

I do notice the 6gen bass response can be less pronounced on certain songs, and is great on others. I had 2 5gens, and I noticed the bass is a lot less audible at low volumes compared to the 5th gens..which bass was at a very high level even at low volumes. I think this was a step toward a luxury car feature( as those (luxury car) systems are the same, the bass is not LOUD at low volumes)

But the Bose system IS great in the 6gen. better than most other stock systems. The 4th gens seemed to cut out a lot of volume at full volume..so you are going to notice a big improvement in that in the 6gen. A way I found to improve bass in any song is, set the treble to ( 0 +1 +2) anywhere in that range, set the fade to rear 2 or 3 and it is improved a lot. Where as listening to talk shows...decreasing the bass and fading towards the front prevents male voices from sounding muddy. but great system IMO. the best out out of the maximas.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM
seanish4042

thanks...ill try that.

i was lookn at the infinity basslink to try to boost it on an overall level.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Also many people dont know that after a certain volume level is being played (threshold), the bass will start being reduced as the volume of the music increases past that certain threshold as a safety measure to preserve the speakers from being blown. This is the case on most stock systems.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I've had both the stock unit in my 02 and now the bose in my 03. The stock system was great but not as good as the bose. The bose has much better bass, but I'd expect more. All in all a decent system.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 PM

The Bose in my 05 Pathfinder LE is even better than my Max's. The Pathfinder has a sub in the cargo area and with it you can feel the bass vibrate your chest. The highs and the midrange seemed crisper too.

P.S. Edit
On Saturday, I traded in my 05 Pathfinder for an 08 Ford Expedition Limited. The Bose in the Pathfinder is way better than the Ford system.

Last edited by BadBlackMaxSL; 10-02-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 PM

The bose in my murano is better than the 6th gen, I dont think the 6th gen bose is terrible though. Much cleaner than the 02 max bose we had.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM

The only maxima bose complaint i have is when people sit in the back, they cant hear the words of the songs clear. Its all bass in the back and highs in the front. The rear door speakers have almost no highs and mids to them. Then top it off with an aftermarket sub in the trunk and the rear becomes all bass only
Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM

I had a 94 Camaro, with Delco/Bose back in 1995. It blew the Bose, in my 07 Maxima away. Even with just base and treble controls. It's a lot better, after replacing the HU with one that has a parametric equalizer. However, the amps and speakers still suck.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
name came from hairdryer

SSV

Try playing with the SSV (speed sensitive volume) settings, it may be trying to lower the already low volumes too much and messing with the bass when driving at slower speeds. I also agree w setting the fade to the rear +1 maybe +2.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by MaXXXpower
Try playing with the SSV (speed sensitive volume) settings, it may be trying to lower the already low volumes too much and messing with the bass when driving at slower speeds. I also agree w setting the fade to the rear +1 maybe +2.

Good point. I found that when speeding up it would sometimes not return the input level or gain to the right level. I'll either keep it set low or off.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Newbie just Registered

6th gen bose doesn't have good bass, my 5th gen Bose kicked harder. I added a small sub and now it sounds as good, if not better, as mid level after market stuff.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Well Certain car companies market certain cars to a certain Class level. Take the lexus for example, the Mark levison system is tuned for country, and classical music, while the maxima is tuned for more hip hop and R&B music. So depending on the car you drive, bascially sets you in a car companies class level. If your driving a Lexus Ls they know your not listening to rap and hip hop, so they put systems in that they feel the most of the customers would listen too. Not saying that any class is better than the next but thats just the way it is! I hope at least made this understandable, and i'm not trying to affend anybody either, thats just the way it is
Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 AM
seanish4042

Originally Posted by RHMax
6th gen bose doesn't have good bass, my 5th gen Bose kicked harder. I added a small sub and now it sounds as good, if not better, as mid level after market stuff.

did you by any chance add a basslink to your 6th gen? thats what im debating doing...just trying to figure out if best buy or circuit city can install it.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
Well Certain car companies market certain cars to a certain Class level. Take the lexus for example, the Mark levison system is tuned for country, and classical music, while the maxima is tuned for more hip hop and R&B music. So depending on the car you drive, bascially sets you in a car companies class level. If your driving a Lexus Ls they know your not listening to rap and hip hop, so they put systems in that they feel the most of the customers would listen too. Not saying that any class is better than the next but thats just the way it is! I hope at least made this understandable, and i'm not trying to affend anybody either, thats just the way it is

You couldn't be more right. Also, it is not possible to make a sound system that works the best for all different kinds of music. So the car companies have to make a choice. Unfortunately, some of our choices do not match with Nissan's choice for the Maxima.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by seanish4042
did you by any chance add a basslink to your 6th gen? thats what im debating doing...just trying to figure out if best buy or circuit city can install it.
I have seperate amp/sub, 8" 150 wts.; not earth shattering bass.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
... while the maxima is tuned for more hip hop and R&B music.
I think if Maxima was tuned for hip hop/r&b, there would be more bass. I think Max Bose system is great for the newage jazz, lots of sound and not too much low.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
MAXIN' ON

I added an mtx amp and a mtx 10" and actually was looking for better highs.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I think if Maxima was tuned for hip hop/r&b, there would be more bass. I think Max Bose system is great for the newage jazz, lots of sound and not too much low.
Yeah you right, but i guess it also depends on the music its self as well. But Also the car company plays a factory in it to, For example The '02-'03 TL Bose systems is a kick *** system compared to my '02-'03 Gle bose systems. So I guess the more money you spend on the car, the better quality of course.

I have listen to some stock systems in '04-'07 maxima's and some of them sounds alot better than the bose of the same years bass wise
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Love my '09

That was one of the things I mentioned in my test drive with the sales guy. I brought along 3 CD's to check. He laughed, and said, yeah, the default settings are messed up. He set the high to 2, mid to 1, and bass to +3, then set it to R03. Since then, I've gone back and set it to R02 and it sounds tons better. My "terminology" may be wrong, but for my ears, sounds fine to me.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM

When i burn my audio cd's i use the eq feature to boost all the levels and it sounds awesome.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
seanish4042

well im starting to notice some of the details of the system. it seems like at about 80% volume...snare drums automatically become muddy and hard to hear. decent loudness and sound overall....and it seems VERY cd-specific in terms of how loud things get/how good they sound at high volumes.