6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Twin turbo for the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chernmax
I was going to go with a twin turbo setup but something about the techs made me stay with a single...

lol thats real funny
Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Where is my shirt?

[QUOTE=chernmax;6404892]I was going to go with a twin turbo setup but something about the techs made me stay with a single...

Hey Chris... So are you saying a single kit is "safer"? hehehe

I mean.... is it true that a single kit has the potential to put out 600+ at the wheels like speed force said?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

[quote=GrimMax;6411100]
Originally Posted by chernmax
I was going to go with a twin turbo setup but something about the techs made me stay with a single...

Hey Chris... So are you saying a single kit is "safer"? hehehe

I mean.... is it true that a single kit has the potential to put out 600+ at the wheels like speed force said?
No comment, let SFR live with that quote because I have no idea...
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by fat_kid
small turbo= low end boost, less high end boost. takes little time to spool.
big turbo= high end boost, lots of turbo lag. takes longer to spool
twin turbo(one small and one bigger)= low and high, the small turbo boosts the larger turbo. ftw
That's the theory / thought, but it's obviously not that simple, in a nutshell__>
Old 06-16-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
If im not mistaken, a single turbo setup with the right tune will always be better then a twin turbo setup for the fact that it takes much longer to spool 2 turbos rather then just one.
I believe it depends on what you want. a twin consist of a smaller and a larger turbo. smaller for the low rpm and the larger for the top end. If one was to think, logically the twin turbo setup is the best you can do for your car cuz of both the turbos and the advantage you have over the other car is acceleration.

On the other hand, you can have a single, and instead of havin a smooth transition of power, your going to have 1 big rush of power, once the turbos start to spool up

In conclusion if you were to have two exact same cars, 1 being twin and the other single, the twin would have acceleration but the single will eventually catch up
Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 AM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
If im not mistaken, a single turbo setup with the right tune will always be better then a twin turbo setup for the fact that it takes much longer to spool 2 turbos rather then just one.
Are you serious? Put 2 GT25R on a VQ35 and you have no lag. And about Twins being Dyno ******? Are you SERIOUS... Depending on the setup a twin turbo car might actually build their power a lot lower, if you want a Dyno *****, go look at a MK4 Supra with a big single and high A/R... that is a dyno *****.

A good setup Twin will give you a car that feels almost stock (in regards to power band). You can still have that with a single setup, but get 2 good small twins and you are on your way to making power. Size of the turbo really does not determine power output, but you put the GT25R which is about 270 HP each... x 2 = 540HP right there, and you are literally building the boost instantly... IMO, Twins are a much better setup for a V6, but on a FWD setup, it is a lot harder to pull off... but yea, I would never say that a Twin setup car takes longer to spool, nor that it is a dyno ***** car.... people go twins because they want a nice car, people go single for dyno numbers / ease IMO...
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Maxima Grounding Kit Spec

Originally Posted by Griller07
I believe it depends on what you want. a twin consist of a smaller and a larger turbo. smaller for the low rpm and the larger for the top end. If one was to think, logically the twin turbo setup is the best you can do for your car cuz of both the turbos and the advantage you have over the other car is acceleration.

On the other hand, you can have a single, and instead of havin a smooth transition of power, your going to have 1 big rush of power, once the turbos start to spool up

In conclusion if you were to have two exact same cars, 1 being twin and the other single, the twin would have acceleration but the single will eventually catch up
What you are describing is a sequential turbo set up with a small turbo for quick spool up and a large turbo for high end boost. But the turbos are both fed by the entire engine. A twin turbo set up is exactly as described twin turbo. This set up allows for two small turbos to be used each one connected to a single cylinder bank manifold. So thus, each turbo is being driven in this case by one 1.75 liter engine bank instead of a 3.5 liter engine. This means you can get the advantage of a quick spooling GT22 turbo without fear of choking the engine high in the rev range because of it's reduced responsibility versus a single turbo set up. At the same time because both turbos are blowing in the engine you get comparable intake velocity as a GT30 or even GT35. The big reason why it is hard to do a twin turbo set optimally on a Maxima is because of the electronics in the way but also, in a twin turbo set up you don't want the exhaust from the cylinder banks to combine until you have gotten to the cat. Most FWD exhaust systems have the exhaust from the front bank pass the downpipe from the rear bank thus creating an exhaust glut at that point and hence boatloads of back pressure.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
i SeE what you did therE

interesting.....

Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
wat

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I think he is just going for the "First Twin-Turbo Altima" title. 600 HP is sensless on these cars.
that or just the look of having 2 turbos
Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Aww man still no pictures?? That would be some sight to see.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
I just want to sound cool rolling through a parking lot
me too
Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Where is my shirt?

Hey Chern....

Is your turbo pretty much peaked out? Or do you still have room for max potential?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by GrimMax
Hey Chern....

Is your turbo pretty much peaked out? Or do you still have room for max potential?
Actually there's room for more and my tuner said I had more, depends on which one I want to blow first, the tranny or the engine? In other words, more than enough power with a single Turbo and anything above 450hp you need to start looking at modifying some of your engine internals and drive around on slicks all day because my current setup will spin the ever loving **** out of my street tires...

Funny thing is with the Turbo I actually chill more now because most everyone who seems like a gear head (chicks too ) always takes a long hard stare at my ride and I get unlimited thumbs up. I find it more rewarding to represent now and let people get a good look verse blasting them off the line and just admiring my tails!!!

Last edited by chernmax; 06-21-2008 at 06:38 AM.