6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Chermax Phase 2 begins...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Never said it was a "better" setup; just cleaner. Well then again, cleaner means better IMO anyway. My point is I would have pursued this setup before I went loop-d-loop.

I would have at least presented this photo to my fabricator and let him tell me it can't be done.

This is a forum where we post opinions; just stating mine.

All I was saying is that I would have tried it this way first. That's it. Not knocking anybody.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Anything looks good in the air with no car attached to it.

Point: Unless you could actively say that set-up would fit your car, I'm not sure I would say X set-up > Y set-up. (As you did in so many words, the phrase I would have done it differently)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Looks nice. Only critique I have is I hope all those cut pipes were cleaned up. The cut ones I saw had alot of burs left. If they come off in the exhaust they go right to the turbo and mess it up. The ones on the intake side will end up ingested, although aluminum they still could mess something up too. I was very careful of that when I made my CAI for my Turbo T.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Pronto
Looks nice. Only critique I have is I hope all those cut pipes were cleaned up. The cut ones I saw had alot of burs left. If they come off in the exhaust they go right to the turbo and mess it up. The ones on the intake side will end up ingested, although aluminum they still could mess something up too. I was very careful of that when I made my CAI for my Turbo T.
Thanks for the heads up, in post #2 I stated this is just a loose fitting during the fab phase...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Looks awesome - How much boost are you hoping to run safely with stock internals?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn you Chern. I am real jalous.

I would have tried to cut/weld the exhaust pipes before the Y to get the Y to point toward the left wheel (basically unbending the Y pipe 90 degrees). The rear bank would flow better. I am not the guy doing the welds so I will keep quiet.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
Damn you Chern. I am real jalous.

I would have tried to cut/weld the exhaust pipes before the Y to get the Y to point toward the left wheel (basically unbending the Y pipe 90 degrees). The rear bank would flow better. I am not the guy doing the welds so I will keep quiet.

If we turned it left the Tranny would make the pipe hang too low thus in danger of ripping up the piping on any speed bump, etc. Also it would not leave enough room to run the turbo exhaust to the mufflers. It's very hard to judge height and angle through pictures unless you have you head stuck under the car like I do daily...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Nobody here has done a turbo install on a 6th Gen Max before but it seems like we have a bunch of armchair turbo install PhD's on this site!!!! hahahaha!!! No, no, no.... cut it here, turn it there, weld it like this, run the piping thru the glove box and down thru the armrest and then straight out the trunk!!

I will just look at the pics and enjoy Chern's odyssey.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Nobody here has done a turbo install on a 6th Gen Max before but it seems like we have a bunch of armchair turbo install PhD's on this site!!!! hahahaha!!! No, no, no.... cut it here, turn it there, weld it like this, run the piping thru the glove box and down thru the armrest and then straight out the trunk!!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL

I can't wait to see the progress when I get back from Vegas late Thursday night. Good luck and Gdspeed Chern!!! Again, I tip my hat to you on ur pioneering the way. Be back Thursday night!!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Droppin logs

Lovin it Chris, can't wait to see the final install. Glad to hear the casualty was the CAI as opposed to the bumper or HS headers as speculated.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Outlawd
Looks awesome - How much boost are you hoping to run safely with stock internals?
4 for street, 8 for track. The bonus is with my new electronic Boost controller I can dial it up or down with 1 button...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 AM
TAZ

Excellent as always Chris, one piece of constructive criticism if I may, An intercooler like this will greatly minimize your tubing and the chances of scrapping under the car. perhaps a future project should the need arise.

Custom tanks on you existing intercooler will work the same.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Does't look like that would fit without cutting the bumpstop.

Originally Posted by taz
Excellent as always Chris, one piece of constructive criticism if I may, An intercooler like this will greatly minimize your tubing and the chances of scrapping under the car. perhaps a future project should the need arise.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by taz

Taz, SFR does have a larger one and I'm sure it would fit but like AllBlackMax stated, you would have to remove the bumpstop which in the US would make your car no longer Street Legal.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM

OK, heat shielding the wires that will be below the turbo exhaust down pipe. Also Fabbed the turbo exhaust down pipe that goes to the exhaust and wrapped with heat shield material on the down pipe. I also ordered a Turboneics Heat Shield blanket that will cover the hot side of the turbo...

Just being fitted after Fab...

OT, anyone know what happen to the 6thGenMaximas web site, seems to be down...

Last edited by chernmax; 10-31-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 AM

Chern with alot of people taliking about the UTEC now any plans for it in the future?? Also the sites not working for me either.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I would heat shield that whole right side! LOL j/k

Glad everything is coming along. Chern, I'm considering driving the Max up to Virginia then Maryland the week of Thanksgiving. I would love to see/hear that setup in person.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
I would heat shield that whole right side! LOL j/k

Glad everything is coming along. Chern, I'm considering driving the Max up to Virginia then Maryland the week of Thanksgiving. I would love to see/hear that setup in person.
Yesterday I also ordered a Turbonetics Heat shield Blanket that are specifically made for these turbos and rated at 2500 degrees... Other than the cold pipe, all exhaust pipes are being heat wrapped also. Also no piping is in direct contact with any body parts. I've been strict with the installers on this and visit the shop twice a day to QA the install. More pictures tonight!!!

Just give me a heads up and I'll see what my schedule looks like, peace bro...
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM

are you using manderal or crush bends???

+1 on being the first 6th gen
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM

Mandrel bent, didn't you look at the pictures close?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM

Chern, have you considered alky injection? I inject straight methonal with a progressive system that works fantastic for the T. Super cooling of the intake temps and raised octain rating. You could run higher psi all time on 93 and not have to have 2 tunes. I went from 100 octain and 21psi to 93 with alky and 26psi with a larger turbo. I run it on kill all the time, it's the *****.
www.alkycontrol.com
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 PM

Mandrel bent, didn't you look at the pictures close?

sure did,(im not an idiot) i just say it because of the look of the downpipe, with all the connections it looks like they expanded the pipe and slid it over..to me not good for flow, so i was just making sure of the mandrel bends else where...
Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 PM

Chern, have you considered alky injection? I inject straight methonal with a progressive system that works fantastic for the T. Super cooling of the intake temps and raised octain rating. You could run higher psi all time on 93 and not have to have 2 tunes. I went from 100 octain and 21psi to 93 with alky and 26psi with a larger turbo. I run it on kill all the time, it's the *****.
www.alkycontrol.com
With my setup, 8psi should put me at 375+whp or 450 hp at the crank so that is more than enough at this time for a FWD. I'm focusing on tranny and valve body next!!! Thanks for the input...
Old 10-31-2007, 07:25 PM

OK, this is the next update, everyone was looking at loose fitting piping that was being measured and Fabbed before, well here are some of the final results, notice the awesome job on centering the intercooler and leveling the piping and modifing the HotShot Header Y-Pipe...

Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM

Wow it looks damn near like my piping setup. It is a mase underneath my car but hey whatever works. I am loving seening all the boosted max's really love turbos
Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 PM

That looks awesome
Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Wow! They did clean it up well. I tell you one thing, you won't have to worry about any exhaust leaks with those pipes overlapping and welded like that. Looks good.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Wow! They did clean it up well. I tell you one thing, you won't have to worry about any exhaust leaks with those pipes overlapping and welded like that. Looks good.
Totally agree and that's why they did it like that, wanted to snap a picture of it before the wrap...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 PM

man, I wish I lived closer so I could see that beast finished and in person. The job they did on the y-pipe is a thing of beauty (maybe its just me)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 PM

Please excuse me for I am a turbo idiot... can someone please educate me on where the Y is gonna connect to and why?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM

wow chris you have the max i always wanted
Old 11-01-2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by 05AltimaSER
sure did,(im not an idiot) i just say it because of the look of the downpipe, with all the connections it looks like they expanded the pipe and slid it over..to me not good for flow, so i was just making sure of the mandrel bends else where...
In the last pic with it all welded one piece does have a non-mandrel bent curve.

The end of that pipe will go to the hot side of the turbo, spinning the compressor. The exhaust then goes out the downpipe that will have a wastegate valve in it to control the boost.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
With my setup, 8psi should put me at 375+whp or 450 hp at the crank so that is more than enough at this time for a FWD. I'm focusing on tranny and valve body next!!! Thanks for the input...
You may need to pioneer hard parts and a higher stall converter for this project.

What octain do you think you'll need to run? I doubt 93 will be ok with even 4psi, definately no go with 8. That's why I recommended alky injection...highest ul I've seen is 105 at the track. You don't want to run leaded, you'll be replacing O2 sensors every week. I also would recommend a knock gauge or scanner on all the time that would show knock. I've had variations in octain from tank to tank that caused knock. If I didn't have a scanner I would have damaged my engine.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 AM

You may need to pioneer hard parts and a higher stall converter for this project.

What octain do you think you'll need to run? I doubt 93 will be ok with even 4psi, definately no go with 8. That's why I recommended alky injection...highest ul I've seen is 105 at the track. You don't want to run leaded, you'll be replacing O2 sensors every week. I also would recommend a knock gauge or scanner on all the time that would show knock. I've had variations in octain from tank to tank that caused knock. If I didn't have a scanner I would have damaged my engine.
I have an AEM wide ban monitor being installed with the A/F computer and electronic boost gauge...

Thanks for the support everyone...
Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 AM

Does the AEM have a warning buzzer? That's helpfull rather than trying to look at a laptop or a light somewhere. Over winter I will be stepping up to an Innovate LC-1 and a Powerlogger scan tool, I have an electronic boost controler specific to the Buick which I really like. Boost is a wonderfull thing.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Does the AEM have a warning buzzer? That's helpfull rather than trying to look at a laptop or a light somewhere. Over winter I will be stepping up to an Innovate LC-1 and a Powerlogger scan tool, I have an electronic boost controler specific to the Buick which I really like. Boost is a wonderfull thing.
Yes and it has built in overboost protection also...

Last edited by chernmax; 11-01-2007 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 AM

I wouldn't think he needs to run a higher octane...

Joshua
Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
I wouldn't think he needs to run a higher octane...

Joshua
Wow I agree and this rhymes, 93 is OK for me!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Wow I agree and this rhymes, 93 is OK for me!!!
I believe the vast amount of people in the 6th gen forum, while being upstanding N/A drivers, have zero knowledge when it comes to FI. But you already knew that...

Joshua
Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 AM

With 10.1 compression your starting off with having to retard the timing so your in the hole. Cylinder pressures will be higher at 4psi compared to a 8.1 turbo engine. That will severly limit our potential since you will not be able to run higher timing. To combat detionation you will need to raise the octain or be forced to run a detuned engine. Like I said alky injection will give you full potienial with complete adjustablity. I don't know the head gasket arrangement with the 3.5 n/a. When a turbo motor is designed they allow the head gasket to blow as a final safety valve. If cylinder pressure exceed a point with detonation and the gasket doesn't blow then you will be a member of the drive over the crank club. All it takes is to run lean for a few seconds. Seen some nasty cases of that. Remember you are re-engineering a n/a engine to turbo. They are not exactly the same for a reason...
Not saying it can't be done, just offering a word of caution since I have dealt with turbos and detonation.

Quick Reply: Chermax Phase 2 begins...