6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Replacing Non-HID bulb Headlight on '04 SE

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Replacing Non-HID bulb Headlight on '04 SE

dealership said in order to replace it they gotta take the bumber off, that's crazy. . . so whats an easirer way of replacing this myself.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 PM
*moderator*

Yes you have to take the bumper off, mine is off right now in the driveway for the same thing. Do it yourself instead of shelling out the labor for the stealership to do it...
Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM

That sucks.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM

YOU do not have to take off the bumper to change the headlights... I had a mechanic at an auto shop change both of my headlights for 25.00! He didnt take the bumper off at all.. He took out the air filter and the filter pipe but thats it. It wasnt hard to do and it took about 20 minutes because he kept dropping the lil plastic bolts that went around the lining of the hood.... You do use the HIR lights right? The 9012 bulb.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
YOU do not have to take off the bumper to change the headlights... I had a mechanic at an auto shop change both of my headlights for 25.00! He didnt take the bumper off at all.. He took out the air filter and the filter pipe but thats it. It wasnt hard to do and it took about 20 minutes because he kept dropping the lil plastic bolts that went around the lining of the hood.... You do use the HIR lights right? The 9012 bulb.
The driver side seems easier. But how did he do the other side?
Unfortunately mine went out on the passenger side and it was a pain
squeezing my fingers in there.

Does anyone have the instructions to remove the bumper? I don't
want to scrape up my hands again.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 PM
*moderator*

He must have been a smurf to get in there! This was the first time I actually changed my headlights. Maybe w/o HID it's easier?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 PM
*moderator*

You need to take off 1 or 2 clips at the bottom of each fender splash guard where it meets up with the bottom corner of the bumper.
Then there is a screw at the top of the fender splash guard. You need to take that one out soo you can get your hands behind the bumper to get the 2 bolts pointing up. (near the headlight)
You have to take off your grill, with a bunch of those plastic clip. Might want to get some spare clips at the dealership. Those things are brittle.
There are a bunch of clips (6 I think) under the bumper connected to the plastic guard. You DONT NEED to take these off if your just gonna drop the bumper.
There is also a screw or plastic clip around each head light.
Thats it.
You'll need a socket wrench with extension (1o mm) to get at those bolts under the headlights and behind the bumper.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Albert
The driver side seems easier. But how did he do the other side?
Unfortunately mine went out on the passenger side and it was a pain
squeezing my fingers in there.

Does anyone have the instructions to remove the bumper? I don't
want to scrape up my hands again.
Nope didnt remove the bumper at all... he put his hands in there (mind you this was a 300 lb guy) but he did it... and he changed my fuses right after and I was on my way.... Didnt take anything out but the air filter and on the other side he just squeezed through there..... weird huh?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
He must have been a smurf to get in there! This was the first time I actually changed my headlights. Maybe w/o HID it's easier?
Yeah I'm thinking maybe since I dont have HID it's a lil more simple... but he was so fast! Lol He was a big guy though.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Where can I get the HIR 9012 bulbs? How much are they? My Non-HID lights suck.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 6genmax

Thanks
I went to two major auto parts store and could not find 9012.
I had to go back to the dealer. The list price is $54, but I
got it for $40 b/c I knew the guy.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 AM

Nope didnt remove the bumper at all... he put his hands in there (mind you this was a 300 lb guy) but he did it... and he changed my fuses right after and I was on my way.... Didnt take anything out but the air filter and on the other side he just squeezed through there..... weird huh?
I don't know how he did it then. On the passenger side, I removed the coolant tank and tried squeezing my hand in there and it was tough. My hand was all scraped up.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks

There is a guy who has them on Ebay... get them from him all the time... I have had mines for a year and a half and they are still burning at max capacity.... I love em and they are brighter that traditional halogens....

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Albert
I went to two major auto parts store and could not find 9012.
I had to go back to the dealer. The list price is $54, but I
got it for $40 b/c I knew the guy.
Yeah if you go to an auto part store... IT WONT BE THERE.. and they will say that doesnt exist and the only headlight bulbs for Maximas are D2S.. even the dealerships are stumped... it's weird because it took me 2 weeks to find this bulb.. I went to 8 dealers in my area and they kept telling me the same thing....Its b.s. The last dealership I went to told me to try a certain bulb and he had to go to the warehouse and came back with this dusty *** crinkled brown box with one light in it and then tried to charge me 89.00 for it. So I looked at the light got the numbers on it and went straight to Ebay... They're like 24 bucks and the only person I can find that sells them and for that cheap.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 AM

There is a guy who has them on Ebay... get them from him all the time... I have had mines for a year and a half and they are still burning at max capacity.... I love em and they are brighter that traditional halogens....

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks for the link!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

did you wanna get an HID conversion kit??
i sell HID kits out of my cousin's shop in Vancouver
Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 AM

Am I the only person that doesn't like HID light? I've driven cars with HID's and I don't like the light. It definately looks better on the car, but for driving I prefer halogen.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM

Well i'm installing an HID conversion kit i can't see any way to do this but to remove the bumper
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
99 Maxima ES

little hands.. its tight...very....but you can do it, if not, ask the local neighbourhood kid.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Am I the only person that doesn't like HID light? I've driven cars with HID's and I don't like the light. It definately looks better on the car, but for driving I prefer halogen.

I kinda like the HID look but the HIR's do just as well and last longer and people seem to think they are HID so I guess Its not a problem. I think the Halo rings look much better with the HIR lights than HID though.... Planning on getting some angel Eyes.