6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Have you had any trans issues?
2004 Auto tran problems
24.56%
2005 Auto tran problems
13.17%
2006 Auto tran problems
5.69%
2004 Auto tran replaced
2.67%
2005 Auto tran replaced
1.60%
2006 Auto tran replaced
2.14%
No transmission problems yet.
50.18%
Voters: 562. You may not vote on this poll

6th Gens and Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission issue

did you resolve your transmission problem on 04 Maxima? I also have the problem with my automatic transmission when car starts cold. The gear shifts from 1-2 is not as smooth?

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I did not have the problems you mention -- either before or after switching to synthetic.

I went to synthetic because of a couple of threads in the Fluids and Lubes section of this site. Since changing, the shifting became easier and not as notchy.

I notice when the car has been sitting outside (normally in a garage) and the temp gets down around zero (F), that the shifting is much stiffer until the trannie has a chance to warm up. This was somewhat improved with synthetic, but it still remains a minor problem.

I expect to change the fluid again when I get closer to 90 K miles (30 on the OEM and 60 on the synthetic).
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 AM

I also am having some problems that im bringing it in for. Crazy thing is i just had my entire engine replaced about 2 months ago now the tranny? WTF....well if they replace it i suppose i will only have 4,000 miles on my engine and 0 on my tranny!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by odyssey223
did you resolve your transmission problem on 04 Maxima? I also have the problem with my automatic transmission when car starts cold. The gear shifts from 1-2 is not as smooth?
As my manual trannie has aged, the shifting stiffness in the lower gears (when extremely cold) has improved. But I normally have my Max in a garage that stays above freezing, so I don't get to experience this situation except when I am away from home or when it sits outside for a long time while I am shopping or visiting. Given that the temps here don't get that cold during a winter day, this does not occur very frequently. But these shifts are better.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 PM

so i took my max to a real transmission shop and the guy told me they just put a shift kit into the same car a few months back and quoted me 600 installed with parts and labor and 12 month 12k mile warrenty. Well that sparked my interest so i did some research and found a couple different options as far as a shift kit and rebuild kit. i could probably find more stuff if i knew the exact transmission i have. i have only been able to search using 5speed auto as a search phrase vice the type/number. Does anyone know the exact transmission type/number? I called nissan and parts told me r31000e was it. maybe there is another name or number far it. I would post the link on here for the parts but i am using my ps3 to type this and can't copy/paste the url. will post link later when wife is off computer.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 PM

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...ts_s/19687.htm
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 PM

none yet and i better not
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I'm working with a transmission shop here in Southern Maryland and putting together a comprehensive list of what is needed, where to order tranny parts that will not only be used to rebuild it, but beef it up to a point the Maxima can well exceed 400hp. Three key areas I'm concentrating on are valve body, clutch pack, and torque converter. The clutch pack we found with a Master tranny rebuild kit, my tranny guy is doing the valve body parts and I just completed (today) buying and having modified a torque converter from a company out of Tampa Florida that is heavily modified for racing. Most other upgrades will include welding of parts to reinforce many of the cast areas susceptible to failure with added power. In my research, I've also found the cost of buying the parts, and the rebuild will be less than what the stealership charges to replace a tranny and 2g's less than some racing shops charge to do a rebuild. Anyway, stand by, we just finalized all part purchases and once received the car goes under. Like always I'll do my best with pictures...

PS used trannies can be found in your area by using:

http://www.car-parts.com

Last edited by chernmax; 04-10-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
. . . Most other upgrades will include welding of parts to reinforce many of the cast areas suseptible to failure with added power. . .
You need to be very careful about welding -- improper welding will actually reduce the strength of steel. Done properly and it could increase the strength.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
You need to be very careful about welding -- improper welding will actually reduce the strength of steel. Done properly and it could increase the strength.

Good luck.
My Tranny guy is a 3rd gen Tranny rebuilder (ATRA / TCRA certified) with over 30 years experience, I've seen his work and visit his shop often because he's only 3 blocks from my work. I totally trust him on this one.

Anyway I have all the same concerns like everyone else but like everything else I've accomplished it's because I've moved forward beyond talk and done it. I wish myself good luck also...

Last edited by chernmax; 04-10-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just an update on the Transmission problem I was having....as some of you may know from my post I had a P0744 A/T TCC code yesterday and I had a link by a kind fellow member to this very informative thread. Just to clarify how transmission warranties are handled by Nissan and the dealer; It's actually a very simple process: The dealer checks a pan under the transmission and in that pan there is a magnet that "captures" any metal part that comes off of the transmission. If they see any metal in there then automatically they know there is a problem and they then go to the next level. They then determine how much work the transmission requires....if it's above say 70% then it's a replacement....as you know there is a point where the cost of a rebuilt vs the repair costs become relevant.

When my car goes in for the rear brake pad replacement next week, they will check my transmission pan for metal....I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM

How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM

04 SE auto with tranny problems here. Happened on Highway...was going 80 when I felt a knock. I didn't think anything of it until I tried to pass a car and nothing happen. I floored it and the car wouldn't pick up speed or anything. It was like I wasn't stepping on the gas but it would maintain the speed I was going. I exited the freeway and the typical blown tranny issues surfaced once I slowed down. I swtich to the manual mode and I noticed that the gears were stuck in 5th gear. It wouldn't change manualy or auto. I turned the car off and cursed Nissan. Got back in cranked her up and everything was fine. I drove directly to the dealer and it killed on me as soon as got on the lot. They will look at it in the morning. Wish me luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 PM

I have 96,000 Kms or about 56K Miles.

Hey JayMAX22 how many miles on your ride?
Please see my post above regarding how the dealer and Nissan determine the warranty work on our cars.

I am quite surprised at the number of people here with problems with their transmission.

I used to have a 2004 SL which was a lemon and was replaced with this 2005 SE. My transmission was the gated shift from the 5.5 which was different then the SE's Tiptronic. My transmission died after only 6 months. It was replaced after 15K Kms! That's 9K miles! 4 months later they replaced my car!

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-27-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I have 96,000 Kms or about 56K Miles.
My converter says 96,000 Kms is actually closer to 59.5 K miles. {Am I ever gald I have the 6-speed.}
Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Mine failed right around 56-58k miles. If you are under 60k you should be fine, otherwise you probably have to pay for it out of pocket. I am guessing about $2500-$3000 but I don't know for sure.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 AM

I have 76K. I repled to your other post about the code your car gave you. I had a similar code last month. Check your other post.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 AM

In Canada the Warranty is to 100K KMS. So I'm good by a hair!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM

Xorbitman---got it fixed at the dealer. It wasn't a tranny issue althought it looked like one. The official diagnosis was "...faulty cam and crank sensors open circuit failure..." The fix was "...replace cam sensors and crank sensors (B-1)...". The total was SUPPOSE to be over $600 to fix but I purchased a service agreement at the same time I purchased the car. I only paid my $50 deductable.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by JayMAX22
Xorbitman---got it fixed at the dealer. It wasn't a tranny issue althought it looked like one. The official diagnosis was "...faulty cam and crank sensors open circuit failure..." The fix was "...replace cam sensors and crank sensors (B-1)...". The total was SUPPOSE to be over $600 to fix but I purchased a service agreement at the same time I purchased the car. I only paid my $50 deductable.
Well congrats on that one! Glad to hear your tranny is okay.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Boy I bet you're rellieved it wasn't the transmission! Eh? Cool!

Hopefully I should have her in soon to check on mine too.

:-)
Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2004 SE with 68,000 miles. I am having the same general shifting problems, slamming from reverse into drive and occasional hard shifting/hunting for gears. Hooked up the code reader and no codes. I have noticed the hard shifting mostly when the fuel tank has less than 1/2 tank. It slammed hard today and after filling up, it went away. Low fuel pressure? bad sensor?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Has your check engine light come on?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope, no check engine light.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Car threw the code again

Well guys it happened again for the 4th time. I had a P0744 code. I was driving and then heard a loud clunk sound as if the car had just lost it's trasmission. The car then stayed in 5th gear. As the car was slowing down and the gears were not changing...and to avoid any engine problems I put the car in neutral as I was slowing down for a traffic light. Then when I stopped the car I put the it in Park...and turned the ignition off. Waited 5 seconds and then restarted. The car then somewhat went back to normal. I say somewhat because the transmission was acting a bid weird as if it was looking for gears and over revving the O/D (Limited Slip Diff). Anyway I brought the car back to the dealer and the same code came up. I told them about the cam and crank sensors last time it happened about 4 months ago....

I hope they finally get around to fixing this,,,,it's very annoying.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM

What year and how many miles you have again?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had my transmission replaced about a month ago. its a 04 SE with 90K. i was backing out of a parking spot, shifted to D and heard a large clunk. from there on out the car was stuck in 3rd. The mechanic said it was a fail-safe. apparently there was a wiring short and the entire transmission was replaced. they replaced it with a refurb in which the problem is supposed to be fixed.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
What year and how many miles you have again?
I have about 60,000 miles 106k kms and it's a 2005 SE...Made for the Canadian market (Montreal).
Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 AM

106 K kilometers is closer to 65.5 K miles than it is to 60 K miles.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 09-11-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Question, I have a 05 Max with 49,000 miles. Last few days ive experienced a sorta high pitched noise when Im rolling at about 40-50mph and sometimes when I accelerate between 1st and 2nd I might get a jerk when I let off the gas a bit. If these are signs of Tranny issues that anyone knows of. Should I remove my fujita cold air intake and replace the stock before taking it in to Nissan? or leave it in. I have an extended warranty aswell. Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DizzMax
Question, I have a 05 Max with 49,000 miles. Last few days ive experienced a sorta high pitched noise when Im rolling at about 40-50mph and sometimes when I accelerate between 1st and 2nd I might get a jerk when I let off the gas a bit. If these are signs of Tranny issues that anyone knows of. Should I remove my fujita cold air intake and replace the stock before taking it in to Nissan? or leave it in. I have an extended warranty aswell. Thanks
Definately take off the jita and replace with the stock box before taking it in to the dealer.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 PM

I asked my service manager about this and there is no way a faulty cam and crank sensor can cause the type of transmission problem we are having...the result is that you need a new transmission and a TCM (Transmission control module). BTW you never replace just the TCM alone...it's done together. The crank sensor cam sensor thing apparently is BS. In almost every case where the car bucks and you hear a loud bang noise like as if the transmission dropped out and then the car goes in to fail safe mode and stays in it's gear (3rd or 4th or 5th) it's a transmission problem. Mine happended this way 4 times in the last 6k miles or 10K kms. Use the following procedure if it happens to you:

If you are in 3rd 4th or 5th take the first exit and as you slow down try and use your judgement to put the car in neutral so that as you do slow down you are not in those gears....as it's bad for the engine. You can then stop while in neutral and even turn off the engine in neutral. Then put it in park. Wait a few seconds and then turn on you car again. The car's transmission should be back to "normal" and the service engine light will still be on. Make sure you contact your dealer and make a service apppointment ASAP even try and bring it in that day if you can so that they can read the code. Most likely you will get that same code "P0744"...make sure that you insist that there is a problem as this is not normal. Most likely the dealership will want to also check the transmission pan for loose parts...they may or may not find any. They make say "Could have been a fluke." and "Let's see if it does it again." And it probably will so then make sure that it's handled properly and that they don't brush you off. Get it changed.

BTW on the Maxima transmissions because they are complex and electronic there is no such thing as a rebuilt or refurb. What they do is use the same casing after they check it for cracks or wear and then install all new parts. The transmissions are brand new for the most part.

You do not have to replace your CAI as Nissan still sells them for the 350z and used to sell a Nismo rebaged AEM CAI. I have an original AEM on mine. This has nothing to do with the transmission. Unless you are abusing your transmission with too much HP like a turbo, SC or NOX set-up which could be hard on the transmission. The small gain from a CAI is unlikely to cause any issues.

I am waiting for my replacement and unfortunatly the TCM is on back order (BO).

Last edited by xorbitman; 09-21-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 AM

I've taken my car in for problems and the service manager stated I needed a new transmission. They ordered the transmission on last Fri., 9/19 and he said the trans was in today Tues. 9/23. How likely is this to be true if the TCM is on backorder?

Honestly it's hard to believe b/c my first transmission I had replaced took 2 weeks and 3 days to come in....and now it only took a weekend.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 05 Maxima SE

I'm have problem with my a/t transmission maxima. No codes are showing up on the computer. Its making a hard clunking noise when it down shifts from 2nd to 1st. Anybody have any sugestions It would really help. It makes one hard clunk. Only does it around 30 mph down.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM

same problem as the guy above me wtf!?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Yeah i have an 04 SE with 79k and getting the same problems. First they told me that I had a broken front motor mount and i paid $400 to get it fixed, and now its still doing it except the jerks aren't has hard as before. But same symptoms. When i go from reverse to first, the car slams into 1st before pulling off. good thing I got a full warranty on the car when I purchased it a few months ago. Now i'm going to the dealership this weekend to see if i indeed need a new trans.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 AM

Its official, my baby has a bad transmission. I took it to Capital Nissan in ATL and as soon as they stepped in and put it in drive they knew... They said it would be about $4200 to repair and it can be done within a 1 1/2 weeks. I'm glad i purchased an ext warranty, now lets see if they honor it..
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Okay, just called the dealership today. They told me the new tranny would be in on the 14th. It actually arrived on the 6th I'm taking it in today.

Anyway, I don't want to take any chances with the new tranny because if it has issues, the next one will be on me

So I've considering transmissions coolers. I don't know anything about them and this is the first one I've found. It's from Stillen.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

Comments and Opinions?
How are those replacement trannies holding up for people who had them replaced?? Does anyone know if the "problem/defect" is fixed or if they are just temporary fixes...sorry to say, but it reminds me of the problem Honda had with their Acura CL/TL models...replacement trannies sometimes wouldnt work to get the car out of the dealer's lot!! Some guys were on their 6th and 7th trannies! Honda actually extended the warranty to 100k miles with their defective trannies...

...and... is there a way to check if a certain used tranny up for sale is one that is "updated" to where it has the issue fixed...the reason i ask is because i am out of waranty and guess what...tranny is completely out...shifts into reverse with a VIOLENT jerk! Same with shifting into drive...and it only has third gear (which ive heard is "safe mode"?)

any thoughts on if that can be fixed with a tranny computer flash what?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Well so far so good on my replacement tranny. I think they didn't really fix anything, they just put another tranny in. I asked the same questions when I picked it up. No one at the dealership really knew if they actually found a problem.

Most of the time if the tranny is acting up, it needs to be replaced. There is probably a sure fire market if someone would actually sell beefed up trannies for our cars.

Last edited by Apollos2; 11-07-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Well after complaining and making numerous trips to the dealer since my car had 17k on it, today they said they finally ordered a tranny for it and i'm now at 34k. It's an 05. I hope all is well after this. Will keep you guys informed.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Say what you will. I have a 2004SE and I was having the same problems that everyone on here writes about (violent shift from park to 1st and hard shifts when driving from 3-2 and 2-1) a few weeks ago. The final act came in the parking lot at work - I had difficulty starting the car then finally on after several cranks the car kicked over. I thought I might have had a moisture issue since it had been raining steadily for a couple of days. When I shifted from park to reverse, it sounded and felt like my car had just been rear-ended by a Mack truck. I backed up a little and drove away but tranny was stuck in 3rd (fail-safe). After work, the car started with no problem and drove with no problem but I drove to a buddy's garage where he hooked up to look at error codes (BTW: no dummy lights on the dash were lit.) The error was for a faulty CAM Position sensor. I bought one at the dealership the next morning for $87. The old one was removed (cracked and filled with oil) and the new one installed in about 20 minutes. Not a problem since - no starting problem, no shifting problems, no driving problems and, thankfully, no $4000 transmission replacement problems.

Quick Reply: 6th Gens and Transmission problems