6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by anm6
Then why dont we just replace the factory resonator with a aftermarket one. Or better yet just replace the pipe from the Y to the mufflers. I guess I'm starting to get the hang of our exhaust, the only down falls are the headers and the B-pipe. Correct?

The stock tubing is too restrictive, so you wouldn't want to simply replace the factory resonator with a better one.

In addition to a full catback system, you can now install our b-pipe (w/ resonator) or just the two muffler/rear sections (axle-back style). Both are bolt-in parts, full interchangeable with the stock parts they replace - mix and match the way you like.

- Use the Cattman b-pipe with stock mufflers for a stealth look and sound + performance.
- Use our b-pipe with your favorite muffler/tip combination; works with axle-backs designed to attach to stock exhaust or with universal mufflers (requires fabricating a rear section).
- The mufflers w/ dual tips look and sound great by themselves, at a competitive price.
- Start with either part and add the second half later, in two affordable steps.

Best of all, these parts are all in stock and featured right now at once-a-year low prices. Sale ad is in our Cattman December SALE.

Last edited by Cattman; 12-13-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 AM

I am adding a Vibrant resonator after the Cattman resonator, right before the downward bend/connection on the pipe. I might get another Vibrant resonator to add to the Y-Pipe if there is still any sound issues left over after my install. People will think the Vibrant resonator is a catalytic converter I bet if I do that...
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by roro
Cattman, can you beat that price on the Vibrant 2.5" Ultra Quiet resonator?

We don't carry a line of resonators, we just sell the 22" unit that we have made to our specs for use in our catback systems. It works very well, and contains stainless steel sound-deadening materials for a longer life, but there doesn't seem to be room for two of them.

Brian
Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Which is why Brian now offers that type of piping for $379.99 (pricing will vary by the time it's shipped)

Just get Brian's y-pipe, mate it with his piping for the exhaust, keep stock mufflers, and then get his headers when they come out!
This is what I think I'm going to do. But I might have a custom shop do the B-pipe just for $$ purpose, Don't get me wrong I think Cattman makes A+ stuff but can't afford a 400 b-pipe. Custom job is half the price. and will wait for their headers in the spring.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Thanks for all your work in this slim market. I'd be interested to hear the stock mufflers with your b-pipe and resonator, as well as seat of the pants gains. That setup goes from the front y-pipe connection to past the rear y-pipe where you have the flanges to connect the mufflers correct? Is there a difference in the 2007 mufflers vs. the 04-06? I appreciate any info.

These are the true-duals I have on the truck with Borlas and turn downs welded after the x-pipe. For reference it was $650 with shipping just high-flow cats no muffs. Gorgeous sound though.

I should make clear that the mufflers (of whatever type) clamp to our new b-pipe just like the stock mufflers do - in the same position and the same manner. The flange-to-flange connection we used originally in this system prevented any interchangeability.

Brian
Old 12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by anm6
This is what I think I'm going to do. But I might have a custom shop do the B-pipe just for $$ purpose, Don't get me wrong I think Cattman makes A+ stuff but can't afford a 400 b-pipe. Custom job is half the price. and will wait for their headers in the spring.

Except it won't be stainless steel at that price, and most local exhaust shops are not capable of working in stainless. I'll remind that s/s is not just for anti-corrosion purposes, it has a direct impact on performance because its an insulator (compared with aluminized steel exhaust tubing), containing heat and maintaining gas velocity.

Of course, I don't know the shop you're taking it to, maybe its one of the rare local exhaust shops that can do a great job, but we hear horror stories about "custom" jobs that not only bugger up what they're making, but quite often butcher some of the parts that are still on the car. [This is typically a matter of cutting the flanges off of the parts the custom pieces connect to, and welding them together because their work is so sloppy they can't create an accurate flange-to-flange connection.]

Add to that the stories we hear about poor fitment, rattles, incorrect tubing size choices, and defective welding...

Once again, you may have someone lined up that does great work, but generally speaking, most Maxima owners will find that spending $379.99 (current sale price) for a warranted b-pipe that provides good fit, durability and performance, is money well spent given what can be the frustrating, perhaps infuriating, alternatives.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
I should make clear that the mufflers (of whatever type) clamp to our new b-pipe just like the stock mufflers do - in the same position and the same manner. The flange-to-flange connection we used originally in this system prevented any interchangeability.

Brian
So the new system has been re-designed to bolt right up to the factory muffler flanges? That is ingenious, very smart marketing. I will surely keep that in mind and can't wait to hear a sound clip of your b-pipe with stock muffs.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 PM

What's the advantages of a b-pipe? I currently have CE's Y-pipe. I do plan to install a Fujita CAI and maybe magnaflows in the future.

If i get Cattman's B-pipe, would that give me sound and power?

Does the b-pipe fit directly to stock mufflers and say if i were to upgrade to magnaflows - that means all i do is weld the b-pipe section to the magnaflows or stock? Correct?

Finally, would i still be using the stock resonator or i would be changing that as well?

Sorry for the questions. In the middle of studying for an exam so didn't get the time to go through the thread. If someone could please answer, I'd appreciate it - Thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Yep, that's the way it works. We make the tubing sections from the split to the ends of the "Y" smaller than the primary tube coming back from the front of the car so there isn't a huge drop in exhaust gas velocity and a loss of low-end power.

Brian
Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by trance.addict
What's the advantages of a b-pipe? I currently have CE's Y-pipe. I do plan to install a Fujita CAI and maybe magnaflows in the future.

If i get Cattman's B-pipe, would that give me sound and power?

Does the b-pipe fit directly to stock mufflers and say if i were to upgrade to magnaflows - that means all i do is weld the b-pipe section to the magnaflows or stock? Correct?

Finally, would i still be using the stock resonator or i would be changing that as well?

Sorry for the questions. In the middle of studying for an exam so didn't get the time to go through the thread. If someone could please answer, I'd appreciate it - Thanks in advance

The advantage of the Cattman b-pipe over stock is that if flows quite a bit more freely, due to larger diameter tubing and eliminating the restrictive aspects of the stock system. You'll pick up power, but the amount of sound will depend on which mufflers you're using. As others have suggested, the volume should be pretty subdued with the stock mufflers.

Stock mufflers clamp to our b-pipe just as they do to the stock one. Using a universal muffler requires the custom fabricating the rear sections. I'll note that this sounds simpler than it really is - the typical local exhaust shop will not have the capability of making these precisely in aluminized steel and they won't have to ability to use stainless steel at all. Of course hangers will need to be added to universal mufflers as well. Whether putting on stock mufflers, or a universal muffler with a properly configured rear section and hangers, there is no welding or cutting necessary, they just clamp on to the ends of the b-pipe.

If you're planning to install a pair of Magnaflow mufflers and tips, I strongly advise you to simply purchase the pair that goes with this b-pipe. You can use your stock mufflers first and upgrade to those later, but you will spend a LOT more to buy the Magnaflow mufflers/tips, and fabricating rear sections and hangers, than we charge for the finished pair (currently on sale at $489.99).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Yep, that's the way it works. We make the tubing sections from the split to the ends of the "Y" smaller than the primary tube coming back from the front of the car so there isn't a huge drop in exhaust gas velocity and a loss of low-end power.

Brian
So is the tubing 2 inch then all the back to the mufflers or smaller?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The b-pipe tubing from the Y-split to the ends (where the mufflers attach) is 2" OD.

The combined cross-sectional area of the two 2" OD muffler tubes is a bit larger than the cross-sectional area of the single 2.5" OD tube, which works out to be roughly the same in back pressure, allowing for increased friction due to the greater tube wall-to-volume ratio of the smaller tubes.

FWIW, Note that "OD" stands for outside diameter. The inside diameter (ID) of the 2.5" tubes is 2.375" and the 2.0"OD tubes are 1.875"ID.

Brian
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM

I got under the car today at the shop, but didn't get the resonator put on. There is a lot more work needed before I get the Vibrant one on the car. I think we're going to have to move the existing 22 inch resonator back as far as it'll go before the bend, then put the Vibrant model right before the front Y-Pipe flange. Updates to follow.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Will it not fit on the y-pipe?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by coitaltie
Will it not fit on the y-pipe?
The Cattman Y-Pipe has a slope to it. So I'm not sure for certain yet if it'll fit there. I'm taking it to another shop on Tuesday and we'll see if they can figure it out.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM

I got the Vibrant resonator on today. It silenced the low and high RPMs to next to a hum. The issue still exists with the middle rpm range from 2000 to 2500 rpm. My shop says it needs some two chamber mufflers to be installed if I want to eliminate the interior noise. I might start looking into swapping out the mufflers.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So your still not liking the way it sounds?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:39 PM

sounds like good improvements - congratilations, might be best to leave it alone from here on out..........
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 PM

I contacted Cattman today to see what plan B is. I am hoping some nice mufflers will kill the noise for me...
Old 12-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
So your still not liking the way it sounds?
I'm going to charge my camcorder tonight and record my drive to work. That way I can show Brian how it is...
Old 12-19-2007, 06:31 AM

It was too dark this mornin to see the RPM, so I'll record on another trip.

I ordered some 50sq ft of Teklite foam to lay in the trunk.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Again, I'm glad to work with Hilbe to "adjust" the sound of this exhaust in hopes of pleasing his spouse, who drives the Maxima daily, but I want to emphasize that this is a special circumstance. His "mission" is to reduce the volume to something close to the stock system, and that is not a reasonable expectation from a performance exhaust system.

I don't want others to get the impression that this system requires modification to sound great (unless your definition of sounding great is not hearing the sound) because that's clearly not the case. We think the volume, pitch and tone are well-shaped for the performance enthusiast, and the vast majority of our customers with these systems on their cars agree.

Brian
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Again, I'm glad to work with Hilbe to "adjust" the sound of this exhaust in hopes of pleasing his spouse, who drives the Maxima daily, but I want to emphasize that this is a special circumstance. His "mission" is to reduce the volume to something close to the stock system, and that is not a reasonable expectation from a performance exhaust system.

I don't want others to get the impression that this system requires modification to sound great (unless your definition of sounding great is not hearing the sound) because that's clearly not the case. We think the volume, pitch and tone are well-shaped for the performance enthusiast, and the vast majority of our customers with these systems on their cars agree.

Brian
Agree. I like the sound of it, especially now with the extra resonator. I think if I could just get the middle RPM range to a hum my wife will be happy. Thats the goal at this point at least. She has me driving it until its quiet again, so positive is I enjoy my ride to work. Negative is I'm in the dog house at the same time.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
MAXIN' ON

You could get her some ear plugs or tell her to turn up the radio a little so you both could enjoy the exhaust and the car!

Just kidding, I know what its like to have to make the other half happy. Thats why I only mod my car.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by redls1
You could get her some ear plugs or tell her to turn up the radio a little so you both could enjoy the exhaust and the car!

Just kidding, I know what its like to have to make the other half happy. Thats why I only mod my car.
Lol. I have a Borla muffler in the shed I want to see what sounds like on my Fiancee's Jeep but every time I mention it the dreaded evil eye appears! I snuck a K&N drop in on there by telling her it helped the mileage. I regret mentioning the performance effect, her right foot thinks she's in a sports car. Jeep Body Roll = Scary...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM
MAXIN' ON

Yeah it used to be everytime I got something for my car she wanted something for hers. Glad she"s out of that phase and into something cheaper now!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Agree. I like the sound of it, especially now with the extra resonator. I think if I could just get the middle RPM range to a hum my wife will be happy. Thats the goal at this point at least. She has me driving it until its quiet again, so positive is I enjoy my ride to work. Negative is I'm in the dog house at the same time.

just noting that very few of us ("us" being those who are married) have the luxury of a spouse who's indulgent of exhaust resonance. my wife accepts it because its our business (she drives the cattmobile more than I do), but I'm certain she wouldn't suffer it gladly otherwise.

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by redls1
Yeah it used to be everytime I got something for my car she wanted something for hers. Glad she"s out of that phase and into something cheaper now!
Lol. Buy them shiny things for their body not their cars.

Heather loves the exhaust on the truck and gets mad that I don't go for more drives in it. No drone at all with hi-flow cats and Borlas. Although it does sound better at 6000rpm than at 2500.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

I had the whole system installed over the weekend- Cattman Y-pipe and catback exhaust. I was impressed right out of the box (so was the owner of my local speed shop, ExceleratePerformance.com) quality is top notch w/ good welding and bends. I was originally going to get different mufflers with the Y and B but am glad I got the complete system. The other complete rear section, axle-back is Stillen but I prefer to keep the 4 tips. The sound is crazy! Deep, mellow, loud and powerful. Definitely feel a difference, esp over 4,000 rpm. The stock system is SO restrictive. I have to drive really easy when I want to keep the noise down, but it was amazing w.hen I opened it upon the highway on ramp today. I will, however, welcome the slight decrease in db that the carbon layer will bring with it over the next few days. I didn't take pics during install because they're already in this thread (I'll take some new pics this week- the back of the car looks a lot better. They mounted perfectly level and look great in person.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Great to hear that they sound awesome. Couldnt agree more. i should hopefully get the dyno Wednesday.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 AM

I have to disagree, with the wifeys not liking the exhaust. My wife loved my exhaust on all my cars and was disappointed when i told her i didnt want one in this car because of the kids. She said go for it they like it too! So I may get the whole thing done when Cattman comes out with the Header for the 6th gen
Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

Me too- my wife doesn't mind because she knows it makes me happy. Plus, she has a Murano, so she never drives my Max. As for my son, he absolutely loves the sound but I still might Dynamat the trunk to absorb some in-cabin vibration. I'm looking forward to getting the headers when they're ready so the system will be complete.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SMOKIN'MAX
I had the whole system installed over the weekend- Cattman Y-pipe and catback exhaust. I was impressed right out of the box (so was the owner of my local speed shop, ExceleratePerformance.com) quality is top notch w/ good welding and bends. I was originally going to get different mufflers with the Y and B but am glad I got the complete system. The other complete rear section, axle-back is Stillen but I prefer to keep the 4 tips. The sound is crazy! Deep, mellow, loud and powerful. Definitely feel a difference, esp over 4,000 rpm. The stock system is SO restrictive. I have to drive really easy when I want to keep the noise down, but it was amazing w.hen I opened it upon the highway on ramp today. I will, however, welcome the slight decrease in db that the carbon layer will bring with it over the next few days. I didn't take pics during install because they're already in this thread (I'll take some new pics this week- the back of the car looks a lot better. They mounted perfectly level and look great in person.
Get the Vibrant 14 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator welded on just before the bend. Cuts the noise down a ton. I also put sound dampening in the trunk. I will be doing the back seat tonight I hope....
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM

The Cattman setup looks real good the dronning is mainly due to the resonator. I have the greddy SP-2 no dronning issues and I'm using the cattman y-pipe and no performance issues.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kevin007
The Cattman setup looks real good the dronning is mainly due to the resonator. I have the greddy SP-2 no dronning issues and I'm using the cattman y-pipe and no performance issues.
Funny you should say that. I was thinking about changing my Cattman resonator out to see what happens...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM

I just ordered the Magnaflow 10436 Resonator. Its the same size as the Cattman, but I am hoping its a better resonator. We shall see.

I made an appointment for next Thursday to get it welded on. Hopefully this kills the drone once and for all. Once I can kill the drone, the wife will be happy.

Last edited by Hilbe; 01-09-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM

My Magnaflow 10436 will be going on here in the next few hours. Wish me luck
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Nice, speculation goes out the window. Definitely keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM

sweet man, get up the final sound of it when you get a chance!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah, let us know. How does your resonator compare to Cattman's?

Quick Reply: Cattman exhaust