6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What Battery Should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 PM

What Battery Should I get?

Hey guys, I was out in jersey today attending a family ceremony and as I left about 3 hrs ago I remote started my car. I came out and saw it wasn't started so I went in to crank the key and no power. So long story short battery dead, got a jump and got home. Anyways now I need a battery. I am leaning towards the optima, but don't know which one to get and which model to get. I am also open to any other brands that you would like to recommend. But if anyone knows the model number to the optima and where I can get it cheap please let me know. Thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got a smaller battery to lighten the load some. Depends on what ur looking for.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM

What do you have? I dont really care about weight as much. I need something strong and with a good rep. Optima seems to have that. I need something with performance.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 PM

DeusEx, how much lighter is your battery? I've been doing little things to save the weight in my car, and I've been looking to do some thing under the hood.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Incognito

Optima Red Top is your best bet. If you have alot of audio/video/lighting get an Optima Yellow top. Red or Yellow (Ive used both) are great.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM

I just got a optima red-top from costco it was $165 after tax and fees. Dunno the model number, it was the only model they had and i needed one too from similiar experience. I had to stretch the ground wire some and couldnt reinstall the battery cover but it works well.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by carlosr
I just got a optima red-top from costco it was $165 after tax and fees. Dunno the model number, it was the only model they had and i needed one too from similiar experience. I had to stretch the ground wire some and couldnt reinstall the battery cover but it works well.
for red top. I felt a difference once I cranked it up the first time. Not that it made my car fast but cranked right away with no delay. Take this time to do a DIY grounding kit as well......
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 AM
GrandPa

My Optima red top went dead and I didn't want to spend 189 dollars for a new one. I brought a yellow top battery at Autozone for 90 dollars. 8 year warranty. 3 year free replacement. Free jump starts if needed.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
My Optima red top went dead and I didn't want to spend 189 dollars for a new one. I brought a yellow top battery at Autozone for 90 dollars. 8 year warranty. 3 year free replacement. Free jump starts if needed.
Which Red Top did you get? as in which one fits?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I also got the red-top from costco couple of months back. The battery is shorter so I put couple of layers of cork mat underneath which will also help reduce vibration. I plan to put it on a charger once a year to keep it in top shape since I run lots of very short trips with all my accessories always on. I expect no less then 6-7 years out of this battery, time will tell if my expectations were real.

Ramberg, whats up with the optima bracket??
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I also got the red-top from costco couple of months back. The battery is shorter so I put couple of layers of cork mat underneath which will also help reduce vibration. I plan to put it on a charger once a year to keep it in top shape since I run lots of very short trips with all my accessories always on. I expect no less then 6-7 years out of this battery, time will tell if my expectations were real.

Ramberg, whats up with the optima bracket??
Xoomer, I am looking to change my battery today. Which red top do you have? Please I really need to know this. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Hey guys, I was out in jersey today attending a family ceremony and as I left about 3 hrs ago I remote started my car. I came out and saw it wasn't started so I went in to crank the key and no power. So long story short battery dead, got a jump and got home. Anyways now I need a battery. I am leaning towards the optima, but don't know which one to get and which model to get. I am also open to any other brands that you would like to recommend. But if anyone knows the model number to the optima and where I can get it cheap please let me know. Thanks
CostCo is always the best prices for batteries.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
CostCo is always the best prices for batteries.
Went there this morning, Nobody knew what battery size I needed. Thats why Im trying to find out here so I can just go and pick it up myself tonight. So once again IF ANYONE KNOWS THE SIZE TO THE OPTIMA RED TOP FOR A 04 MAX PLEASE LET ME KNOW! THANKS!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Bought a red top for my I30 years ago here:

http://www.remybattery.com/Default.aspx

At the time they had good prices
Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Incognito

there are different size red tops? you sure?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
there are different size red tops? you sure?
Thats what the guy at autozone said?

Personally ive never bought a car battery in my life. So wouldnt know?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Ok... Jus picked up the battery. Turns out now that the terminal doesnt reach to the Positive. How do I make this work now?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Ok... Jus picked up the battery. Turns out now that the terminal doesnt reach to the Positive. How do I make this work now?

There is a clip that holds the positive bunch of cables to a bracket there. Cut the clip off and it will fit. Its a stretch, but it will fit without a problem. Sorry I couldn't answer before but there is always a gap in time from when I leave work and get home. You will need something underneat or the OEM bracket won't hold it (the battery is not as high) or if you have a wise, you can just cut them and bend them to be shorter. Like I said I had some cork board I picked up at staples for something else so I used that but anything will work. Cork keeps the battery in place and provides some vibration protection. Hope this bit helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM

There is a clip that holds the positive bunch of cables to a bracket there. Cut the clip off and it will fit. Its a stretch, but it will fit without a problem. Sorry I couldn't answer before but there is always a gap in time from when I leave work and get home. You will need something underneat or the OEM bracket won't hold it (the battery is not as high) or if you have a wise, you can just cut them and bend them to be shorter. Like I said I had some cork board I picked up at staples for something else so I used that but anything will work. Cork keeps the battery in place and provides some vibration protection. Hope this bit helps.

Is there some type of Terminal extender that I can get that will be put between the wire and the round thing that goes onto the battery post so that it can make it longer to reach. ( My "round thing is corroded anyways so Im thinking since Im using a new battery I might as well do it.) Also Xoomer My battery seems to fit. I put the top cap of the batter on the bottom to make it taller. and I haven't driven it yet. But should I be worried about it slipping?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Btw whats the model number of the battery u have? Model number and part number xoomer. Please if you can let me know I want to know if we have the same batteries before I mess with it any further?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM

I have always had good resilts from Duralast Gold batteries and Optima are really good batteries too.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Btw whats the model number of the battery u have? Model number and part number xoomer. Please if you can let me know I want to know if we have the same batteries before I mess with it any further?

I'll check on it tomorrow as its way too cold outside to get back out. I'll let you know when I get to work. I am going to get some zzzzzs early as I am completely worn out.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Is there some type of Terminal extender that I can get that will be put between the wire and the round thing that goes onto the battery post so that it can make it longer to reach. ( My "round thing is corroded anyways so Im thinking since Im using a new battery I might as well do it.) Also Xoomer My battery seems to fit. I put the top cap of the batter on the bottom to make it taller. and I haven't driven it yet. But should I be worried about it slipping?
Yes they have a bunch of extenders at straus auto and the likes. Just make sure that the positive isn't hanging anywhere its not supposed to or its poof and you'll have a fire on your hands before you know it. Just get it done right, thats all. The battery also comes with side batteries so you can even use those to make the connection/extension secure.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 PM

I'll check on it tomorrow as its way too cold outside to get back out. I'll let you know when I get to work. I am going to get some zzzzzs early as I am completely worn out.

Thanks alot cuz I think he gave me the wrong one. The one I see online has the terminals VERY close to the edge. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29 Thats the one I am looking at. The one I have is a bit different. Please let me know if thats the one you have. I doubt that one will need modding to fit. since the terminals are closer. I dont really have a height issue with it.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

OK, this is kind of late as I couldn't get on in the morning

Optima RedTop Starting Battery

RedTop 75/35

Model: 12853

CA: 910

CCA: 720

RC: 90

Hope this helps, even if just to confirm.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Yep, Thanks xoomer. I jus saw this. But I just came inside from installing the battery. So it works fine. My only two issues are I started it up and I heard the clicking. Probally from the car not being on for like 2 days? It lasted like 2 seconds. and also when I first started it up I saw the rpm dive below its normal idle and then shoot back up but after I drove it and brought it back it was fine. Nothing to worry about now correct?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

If your battery was disconnected for all this time your ecu has reset and needs to relearn. I had that problem too to a point the idle RPM would fall and engine would die. Guy told me to go to nissan to have idle adjusted, week later it all kicked in. Weird if you ask me but hey it works just fine now, give it couple of days.

Last edited by xoomer.com; 12-05-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: jeez, how do you make 10 spelling mistakes in one post?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 PM

the car has to "relearn" certain defaults, like i had to cycle my sunroof up then down before it would go back same with seat b4 memory seats would work. It basically lost its short term memory. Give it a few days key on/offs and it'll be fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I vote Optima Red Top, mine has work flawlessly for almost 3 years...