6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Max Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Max Autocross

She did pretty well for being stock. I raced in STE due to the time preference. Most entrants have suspension upgrades so I only got 4th out of 6 cars. I had a blast and it was really sweet not having to change tires before and after like I do in the truck. I pumped the tires up to 45 and the scrubbing stayed on the tread nothing too bad on the edges. Thanks to whoever recommended that. I was driving it pretty hard and the brakes worked very well. I don't have ABS up front on the Dakota and with Viper brakes it locks them up too easily. I could smash them down before coming into a tight turn or slalom without worry in the Max. The body roll was quite noticeable so I am considering some sway bar upgrades and the strut tower brace for sure. I prefer not to race it since I don't want to damage anything but fun on the street will appreciate the mods. Does anyone know the proper class for a stock car? H Stock? There was a TSX in there. I believe I would have gotten 2nd place in that. Not too bad for my first attempt. If anything autocrossing will help me get to know my daily driver better.

Last edited by QwikKota; 08-10-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
GrandPa

It doesn't matter what place that you come in as long as you enjoy doing it. Good for you.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by QwikKota
She did pretty well for being stock. I raced in STE due to the time preference. Most entrants have suspension upgrades so I only got 4th out of 6 cars. I had a blast and it was really sweet not having to change tires before and after like I do in the truck. I pumped the tires up to 45 and the scrubbing stayed on the tread nothing too bad on the edges. Thanks to whoever recommended that. I was driving it pretty hard and the brakes worked very well. I don't have ABS up front on the Dakota and with Viper brakes it locks them up too easily. I could smash them down before coming into a tight turn or slalom without worry in the Max. The body roll was quite noticeable so I am considering some sway bar upgrades and the strut tower brace for sure. I prefer not to race it since I don't want to damage anything but fun on the street will appreciate the mods. Does anyone know the proper class for a stock car? H Stock? There was a TSX in there. I believe I would have gotten 2nd place in that. Not too bad for my first attempt. If anything autocrossing will help me get to know my daily driver better.

Great to see another Max out there on the course. I prolly recommended the 45 psi. I would imagine you need even higher. I pump my fronts about 5 lbs higher than the rear, a fairly standard FWD set up. I would advise that you stay in the lower classes if you can help it. Do your mods later after you learn how to drive the car fast. There are many things you can do to improve your car and still run in stock class. Tires are the number one performance factor that you can do. I'd suggest separate rims and tires while staying in line with the rules. Get the lightest rims you can get while staying in your budget and get the stickiest tires you can while staying in stock class. Make sure your air filter is clean, or use K & N if legal in stock. Get aftermarket struts and shocks if legal in stock. Get a cat back exhaust if also legal in stock. Make sure you remove all spare tires, jack, tools, floor mats, or whatever if its legal in stock. Make sure you run with 1/4 tank of gas to lighten your car, yet not be fuel starved. One great tool to get is a seat belt lock which locks the seat belt in place. It holds you in the seat better especially around tight turns. If a RSB is allowed in stock, then get that. Otherwise, stay in conformance with stock rules. After you get experience on the track, then maybe consider moving up in class. I run is DSP and the competition is brutal. I do better on open courses than tighter courses.

PM me if you have questions on this matter or for my exciting in car and outside videos at a high speed autocross/time trial.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Newbie just Registered

Good to hear the car did well stock. Any fade at all? How was the trany?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM
.org extraordinaire

+1 on the tranny, how did that CVPanzyness keep up with the demands of autoX?

Kamski
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM

Oh I forgot, get the best brake pads you can get, maybe Hawk HP series pads, high temp fluid, and if the class allows it, stainless steel lines (which I doubt are allowed in stock, but they may be).
Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM

hey guys , i have a i30 and i was thinking of doing something like auto crossing but i cant find on how to enter to one of them. i googles auto crossing and some crap came up. i live in new york so if u guys know a web site or something i can go to get some info can you please tell me thanx.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Try www.scca.com
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM

thanx for the link but, after some thaught i decided that an i30 is not the car for this or the time for me to do someething like this and since im 17 and the car is really not my mine i should just couple of more years and get a manual and do some like this but i heard there are these evnts in englishtown new jersey so ima go check them out and see. thanx for the help
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
It doesn't matter what place that you come in as long as you enjoy doing it. Good for you.
I feel the same way Ramberg. Been autocrossing for 2.5 years or so and I really hate to miss an event. I do it for the fun and experience, not too concerned with placing at the top. I am used to being the underdog so its all about putting a smile on my face and getting the adrenaline going. Because as you know adrenaline is the #1 stress reducer.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Great to see another Max out there on the course. I prolly recommended the 45 psi. I would imagine you need even higher.
Thanks Deus. I have a small bubble on the left rear sidewall of the cruddy stock RSA's so I didn't want to go higher than 45. I doubt I will do any mods that increase the ride harshness as its where I want it now. On the street with that much pressure it was rough over bumps. The truck is very stiff and that is my regular autox mule. Prefer to keep the daily driver comfortable. It was neat being able to run well in something that gets good mileage, looks great and is somewhat luxury. Most of the larger cars do tend to prefer the open track or wider turn setup courses. Its way different on the road course as far as vehicle setup and driving methods. I've done Road Atlanta and MSR Houston plus the Atlanta Motor Speedway oval and inner road course, all are a blast. Are the Racingline end links a noticeable upgrade or are they mainly for adjustability of an aftermarket suspension? Sounds like the strut brace does well on its own.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Good to hear the car did well stock. Any fade at all? How was the trany?
No brake fade, they worked really well. It was a tight course setup for Miatas so the brakes were hit hard but only for short periods of time. Not a lot of heat built up to induce fade. I have confidence in them for longer usage and love them for street needs. I'm used to having to upgrade from stock, these are good to go. Tranny seemed to produce quicker times in auto mode, and aside from some traction control gremlins it did ok. A manual is a must for autox, once I get my gears straightened out in the Dakota I can run most events without shifting from 2nd.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
+1 on the tranny, how did that CVPanzyness keep up with the demands of autoX?

Kamski
Easy killer, its the only tranny available etc. Does anyone know if there is a built in stability control system that operates even with the traction control off? The power seemed to be getting cut as the demand came on coming out of a turn. I was surprised how neutral the car was in a sweeper, the car rotates nicely and has an even blend of under/oversteer. Most fwd's understeer awfully in stock form. No diagnostic codes or any weird signs from the CVT, but obviously its not the best choice for autox.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM

If you have any bubble in the tires I would NOT autocross or do any high performance driving at all. In fact, I would advise replacing the tire immediately. For autocross, you really need performance oriented tires. If your budget allows, get a spare set of rims, light ones if you can, with tires on them for competition only. The endlinks can be used with stock suspension. Its a great way to dial out some understeer. If you replace the rear bar, you can even get oversteer which is pretty cool. The reason the car cuts power with traction control on is because the timing is being retarded to allow the tires to regain traction. I race with TC on even if it cuts back power in the turns some. In three years of high speed competitions with my Maxima, the car has NEVER spun out ever. If you think its because I don't push it to the limits, then watch my in-car video sometime.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Conecarver

Agreed. Replace that tire with the bubble immediately. I'd suggest doing a few more events before buying any mods or wheels/tires. Seat time will get you more comfortable finding the course and getting more aggresive out there w/o making the ride harsh. You'll probably knock down another 5-10 sec as you improve. No mod can help more than "tightening the nut behind the wheel".
Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Newbie just Registered

Does anyone know if there is a built in stability control system that operates even with the traction control off?
Only if you have VDC, always on. TCS only can turn completely off.

Last edited by RHMax; 12-06-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
If you have any bubble in the tires I would NOT autocross or do any high performance driving at all. In fact, I would advise replacing the tire immediately. For autocross, you really need performance oriented tires. If your budget allows, get a spare set of rims, light ones if you can, with tires on them for competition only. The endlinks can be used with stock suspension. Its a great way to dial out some understeer. If you replace the rear bar, you can even get oversteer which is pretty cool. The reason the car cuts power with traction control on is because the timing is being retarded to allow the tires to regain traction. I race with TC on even if it cuts back power in the turns some. In three years of high speed competitions with my Maxima, the car has NEVER spun out ever. If you think its because I don't push it to the limits, then watch my in-car video sometime.
Yeah, I have slicks for the truck and its street tires are Conti2's off an M5 so I am pretty well aware of what improvements tire choice can make. The Maxima will not see much autox time, just wanted to see how it would do and any mods would be for street fun. Looking at some rims tmw and will be getting new tires if that works out. Timing cutback should only be with TC off though right?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Agreed. Replace that tire with the bubble immediately. I'd suggest doing a few more events before buying any mods or wheels/tires. Seat time will get you more comfortable finding the course and getting more aggresive out there w/o making the ride harsh. You'll probably knock down another 5-10 sec as you improve. No mod can help more than "tightening the nut behind the wheel".
5 to 10 second improvement would only be from a poor driver to a much more confident one. I have been autocrossing for almost 3 years now. On street tires I would be surprised if I could drop more than 2 seconds in stock trim with more experience. The dynamics plus drivetrain between my two vehicles are way different but the driver is the same. Fastest time of the day with the full race prep cars (slicks of course) was 50.xx to my 58.0
Old 12-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

Timing cutback should only be with TC off though right?

Yes it should. It could be the CVT that slipped as it's designed to do.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:25 PM

The timing cuts back when the Traction Control is ON. Thats how the traction is controlled - the timing is retarded which cuts power. My source is Tadashi from Technosquare.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
True words from the wise man.