6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen BOSE is ****e...anybody feel me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by chernmax
Glad you can laugh too, we all got our weather, heck in Cali, it gets so hot the CD's melt in the changer...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 PM

So I took my car to the dealership yesterday and they were able to replicate the problem and are ordering me a new head unit -- covered under warranty. I figure the next one might to the same, but maybe I will get more miles before it gets to that point.

If any of you have warranty left and your *POSe* does the same, you should get it replaced. The dealership was pretty cool about the whole thing.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

chilly 62, thats hilarious. I'd be wearing t-shirts all year long.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 PM
KC's FINEST

The dealership is well aware of the problem. The new ones will not give you any problems. Back when mine was doing it, i'd hit it with a hair dryer before I pulled it out of the garage. Worked well, got old, dealer replaced w/no questions.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
i'd hit it with a hair dryer before I pulled it out of the garage. Worked well, got old, dealer replaced w/no questions.
Hmmm... note to self: whenever traveling up north, bring wife's hair dryer to ensure proper CD player functioning.

Last edited by larsim; 12-28-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SHIFT_matt
So I took my car to the dealership yesterday and they were able to replicate the problem and are ordering me a new head unit -- covered under warranty. I figure the next one might to the same, but maybe I will get more miles before it gets to that point.

If any of you have warranty left and your *POSe* does the same, you should get it replaced. The dealership was pretty cool about the whole thing.
It is still going to just happen again...get rid of it for good and put in an aftermarket one to avoid the headache.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM

for the guys who took it to the dealership to get it fixed were u guys under your mileage? i took it to my dealership and i have like 49k and they guy was like srry we can't cover it due to the fact your over your mileage. they said it cost me like 400 to fix it
Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
for the guys who took it to the dealership to get it fixed were u guys under your mileage? i took it to my dealership and i have like 49k and they guy was like srry we can't cover it due to the fact your over your mileage. they said it cost me like 400 to fix it
Right, obviously if you are over 36k then you are out of your bumper to bumper warranty. It will be up to you to fix. But if that's the case, then I'd just follow BlackMaxx's advice and buy aftermarket. You might still be able to get that done for under $400 depending on your standards. I am just going to make it Nissan's problem until my warranty is out and then go from there.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 PM

they are just (std.) electronic items.... (and some optical).. these were not meant to work in "minus temps" check any manuals there is an Operating temp. specified.....

mine (CD) skips a bit when starting..... I just use the radio for a while and then CD....

P.S. sometimes the fault is not with the Bose CD player....I have noticed if I take CD's from the home (heated) to the car, then they get the fog and no "reader" will work well with that!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Hmm weird stuff..Got an 04 SE and I live in NY where it is currently 35 degrees and no problems at all with my cd changer...knock on wood.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:17 PM

the Bose in my 02 SE had this problem yall speak of..skipping when cold and cutting out on right side. my 6gen doesnt skip when cold..but discs 3 4 5 6 rarely work..and cuts out sometimes.i took the console apart once head unit says remanufactured or replaced or something like that. guess the last owner may have had that problem.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM
kvg

my old 96 did the same thing
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
LOL, actually my wife also has a classic 75 dodge charger (last year made) with a 360 that we were restoring, I gave her a choice as to which she wanted in the garage ON HER SIDE!!!
Dang Chern, I didn't know you lived in Maryland. Serves me right when I don't read the profiles! Was just up in Richmond and my Fiance' was in Waldorf, MD. Would have liked to gone for a quick ride in the turbo and seen that Dodge. I had my 72 Charger t-shirt on in the airport yesterday. It says Texas Muscle on it. I am a diehard Mopar guy but for a daily driver the Max gets better mileage than a new Charger R/T. I had a 66 Belvedere with a 440/727 auto in and I miss it dearly. Incredible torque on a mildly built motor. Few pics here
Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

ive never had this problem in any other car, it is a fault of BOSE, they screwed up.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 PM

I didnt read all the posts,but from what I did read it seems like no one likes the Bose system,huh??

Im a bit of an audiophile and have built a couple of real nice systems.Nothing to high end,but way more than your average person spends.I really like the Bose system.I have an 07 and havent had any problems yet.The mids and highs are better than most factory systems and better than some aftermarket Ive heard.I just added a Kicker 750.1 and a 10" sub and it sounds really good.Anyone even thinking about doing this all I can say is do it and do it now.You wont be disappointed.

I hope I dont have some of the problems that you all do,so for the time being Im going to enjoy my Bose system and keep my fingers crossed I can continue to enjoy for some time to come.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Here's the thing, way back in the day I had a '90 Max with the Bose and prob thier first gen cd player in it and it used to skip when it was cold then! You'd think in the 18+ years Bose has been putting these systems in our cars that they would have addressed that by now.

The other thing, I could see how if you lived in the midwest with negative temps in the winter would make it do that, but I live in Washington just north of Seattle and the weather here is actually pretty moderate. We aren't talking freezing temps here a lot. The way I see it, I bought my car new and it has a $900 stereo option in it. I didn't pay $900 for it to work only part of the time. If I did that I would have bought a Kia or something .

Anyway, the new headunit is in at the dealership and I am getting it installed Thursday morning. Good times!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 07Maximan
I didnt read all the posts,but from what I did read it seems like no one likes the Bose system,huh??

Im a bit of an audiophile and have built a couple of real nice systems.Nothing to high end,but way more than your average person spends.I really like the Bose system.I have an 07 and havent had any problems yet.The mids and highs are better than most factory systems and better than some aftermarket Ive heard.I just added a Kicker 750.1 and a 10" sub and it sounds really good.Anyone even thinking about doing this all I can say is do it and do it now.You wont be disappointed.

I hope I dont have some of the problems that you all do,so for the time being Im going to enjoy my Bose system and keep my fingers crossed I can continue to enjoy for some time to come.
Where did you tie in for signal? Speaker line converter to RCA? Is there any distortion due to that connection? Thanks for any info. I've got a closet with lots of nice audio equip collecting dust.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Where did you tie in for signal? Speaker line converter to RCA? Is there any distortion due to that connection? Thanks for any info. I've got a closet with lots of nice audio equip collecting dust.
I had a friend install a hi/low convertor for me.He tapped it off on of the rear speakers.The sound is 1000x better than I would have expected.I havent listened all that much yet,but some far I dont notice any distortion.All I can say is that Im totally happy with it.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 07Maximan
I had a friend install a hi/low convertor for me.He tapped it off on of the rear speakers.The sound is 1000x better than I would have expected.I havent listened all that much yet,but some far I dont notice any distortion.All I can say is that Im totally happy with it.
Cooool, do you know what brand it is? They prob have better ones than I fooled with back in the day. I can rig up a sub/amp and run temporary wires to see if I like it before I go under the carpet. I miss the bass bass.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Incognito

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Cooool, do you know what brand it is? They prob have better ones than I fooled with back in the day. I can rig up a sub/amp and run temporary wires to see if I like it before I go under the carpet. I miss the bass bass.
I did the same thing in my car as a temp solution. Sounds good if you tune it properly at the amp. I just jumped a Tsunami Hi/low off the rear deck speaker. The bose amp acutally has a low output (rca) running into it from the stock HU. You can jump off that and hardwire RCA's to it. Search the audio forums for that one.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in Maine and mine skips like mad. I've only had my Max for 1 month and I have yet to make it through a whole cd without it skipping. I have noticed that disc 1 & 2 have considerably less skipping than discs 3 thru 6. I'll just write of the cd player for the winter. But, when it's -20 degrees I just ask that it start and throw some heat!

I can't wait for some dry roads !!!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
I did the same thing in my car as a temp solution. Sounds good if you tune it properly at the amp. I just jumped a Tsunami Hi/low off the rear deck speaker. The bose amp acutally has a low output (rca) running into it from the stock HU. You can jump off that and hardwire RCA's to it. Search the audio forums for that one.
Ah, no fair. I only have the standard audio setup. I'm stuck using the high levels off the speaker wires. Thx
Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just to set the record straight....

I haven't read each and every post in this thread so I may have missed someone else pointing out that the CD player is not made by Bose. Unless you own a Ferrari 612 Scagglietti (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/08/bose-media-system-debuts-in-ferrari-612-scaglietti/) your head unit (and CD player) is not made by Bose. The Maxima amp and speakers are Bose products and the head unit is specific to the Bose system but it isn't made by Bose.

So if you're upset at Bose because the CD player skips - you're barking up the wrong tree. If you're upset at how the Bose system sounds (and you're using good source material), then that's a topic for a different thread.

I used to work for Bose - at one point I managed the engineering team responsible for fitting the Bose components into all Nissan vehicles (in case anyone wants to try and challenge me on this subject - take your best shot ). I used to see a lot of people blaming Bose for headunit and CD player problems when I hung out on other car forums. All I'm trying to do here is get the frustration pointed in the right direction - I have nothing to gain by trying to convince people to like (or dislike) Bose.

My biggest concern is that this thread was like blaming a wheel maker (BBS, OZ, etc..) because the Goodyear tires didn't grip well.

And just to put any troll concerns aside, I own an '07 Maxima SE.

Thanks for a great site and for bearing with me since this is my first post on this site. I usually like to lead off on a topic that's more introductory in nature (like: "Hey! Check out my '07 SE" or something along those lines).

See you around,

Dave N.

Last edited by Dave_N; 01-02-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Incognito

Originally Posted by Dave_N
I haven't read each and every post in this thread so I may have missed someone else pointing out that the CD player is not made by Bose. Unless you own a Ferrari 612 Scagglietti (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/08/bose-media-system-debuts-in-ferrari-612-scaglietti/) your head unit (and CD player) is not made by Bose. The Maxima amp and speakers are Bose products and the head unit is specific to the Bose system but it isn't made by Bose.

So if you're upset at Bose because the CD player skips - you're barking up the wrong tree. If you're upset at how the Bose system sounds (and you're using good source material), then that's a topic for a different thread.

I used to work for Bose - at one point I managed the engineering team responsible for fitting the Bose components into all Nissan vehicles (in case anyone wants to try and challenge me on this subject - take your best shot ). I used to see a lot of people blaming Bose for headunit and CD player problems when I hung out on other car forums. All I'm trying to do here is get the frustration pointed in the right direction - I have nothing to gain by trying to convince people to like (or dislike) Bose.

My biggest concern is that this thread was like blaming a wheel maker (BBS, OZ, etc..) because the Goodyear tires didn't grip well.

Thanks for a great site and for bearing with me since this is my first post on this site. I usually like to lead off on a topic that's more introductory in nature (like: "Hey! Check out my '07 SE" or something along those lines).

See you around,

Dave N.
oh... well **** man, damn whoever makes it then lol.

btw welcome to the board etc.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Learning English...

the CD player is not made by Bose.
It's Clarion, correct? And why isn't a real Bose? Because it would be too expensive...?

BTW, my headunit has a sticker "remanufactured" and it still skips like crazy
Can't wait to go aftermarket
Old 01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by brio_max
It's Clarion, correct? And why isn't a real Bose? Because it would be too expensive...?

BTW, my headunit has a sticker "remanufactured" and it still skips like crazy
Can't wait to go aftermarket
In the past Clarion has been their primary headunit supplier - that may have changed for US produced vehicles. The CD mechanism itself used to come from Sony for some vehicles and Clarion for others. I can't say with any certainty who makes them now.

As for having a reman headunit -wow....I hope it's not because you are in the Czech republic.

To BigPete: Thanks for the warm welcome - I look forward to contributing in a useful manner.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_N; 01-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Learning English...

As for having a reman headunit -wow....I hope it's not because you are in the Czech republic.
No, no My 6th gen Maxima was imported from the US, so probably the previous owner were having trouble with the headunit and it was "repaired" under warranty...

In the past Clarion has been their primary headunit supplier - that may have changed for US produced vehicles. The CD mechanism itself used to come from Sony for some vehicles and Clarion for others. I can't say with any certainty who makes them now.
Wow, thanks for the info!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM

I was in my wife's '06 Passat yesterday, the sound is ridiculous, absolutely rich and unbelievable (it doesn't skip either)

Dynaudio kicks our Maxima's Bose system any time...yes, I'm sad to say
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM

MY CD CHANGER WORKED FOR ONCE TODAY!!! after 3 hrs of straight driving though...but still all my cd's worked
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose Sound

See you around,

Dave N.
Dave, I don't have the skipping problem, but I do have a different compliant about my Bose system. Maybe since you have some experience as one of their engineers you can provide some light on this situation.

I purchased an 07 Maxima with the upgraded Bose system this past August. Immediately after picking it up, I noticed that there is a constant hissing noise emminating from all 8 speakers when the stereo is on and in any mode (CD, radio, satelite radio). It is a constant noise that does not variate with engine speed, etc. The noise is most noticeable if you toggle between mute and level 1 of the volume. It is a fairly low level noise, but is very distracting when listening to music that has quite or low areas in it. The noise kind of sounds like a "white noise" hiss. I have tried modifying every adjustment I can find- the balance, fade, bass, treble, speed sensitive settings- nothing helps. The noise is always constant and always there- from all eight speakers evenly. I have taken it to two different dealers for a diagnosis. Both concluded that it is normal for the system and let me sit in identical Maximas on the lot- indeed, they did have the same noise. Incidentally, one of them showed me a car with a base system that didn't have the noise. Needless to say, I am _very_ dissappointed in the performance of the system. IMO, any decent stereo should be nearly silent unless there is music playing. I'm sorry man, but this thing sounds terrible. I have also tried calling Nissan Costumer Care and Bose directly to try an remedy the problem- both avenues ended at dead ends as both companies say there is nothing they can do. Bose claims it is just the way system operates.

I have poked around different forums and found a few others with the same compliant and both service managers at the two different dealerships admitted to hearing it as well. So, I know its not just me.

I find it hard to believe that a company that supposedly prides themselves on quality audio produces a system that outputs such excess noise. I also can't believe that anyone who claims they are an "audiophile" approves of this system. Can you provide any light as to why this is occuring and what I could possibly do to remedy the noise?

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this problem with their factory installed Bose system?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

BOSE system as whole sucks. Calling it Premium Audio is a misleading practice; there is absolutely nothing premium about it besides the price. It is too often people blame other supliers for low quality parts and it's plain wrong. The fact that Clarion, SONY or anybody else supplies ****ty product does not excuse BOSE for not properly evaluating supplied parts/components and/or suppliers.

When components are sold on OEM basis, the manufacturer of the final product assumes all reposponsibility. When a hard drive in a DELL computer fails, you don't see dell pointing fingers, they just supply a replacement.

I have a 2004 and both the headunit and the amp have been replaced. The headunit - when it was skipping and the amp when there would be no music in the winter until the car warmed up. If you blame clarion for the headunit who are you going to blame for the amp. If you still point fingers, then I ask; Is there anything bose about the system other then the label?????
Old 01-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
BOSE system as whole sucks. Calling it Premium Audio is a misleading practice; there is absolutely nothing premium about it besides the price. It is too often people blame other supliers for low quality parts and it's plain wrong. The fact that Clarion, SONY or anybody else supplies ****ty product does not excuse BOSE for not properly evaluating supplied parts/components and/or suppliers.

When components are sold on OEM basis, the manufacturer of the final product assumes all reposponsibility. When a hard drive in a DELL computer fails, you don't see dell pointing fingers, they just supply a replacement.

I have a 2004 and both the headunit and the amp have been replaced. The headunit - when it was skipping and the amp when there would be no music in the winter until the car warmed up. If you blame clarion for the headunit who are you going to blame for the amp. If you still point fingers, then I ask; Is there anything bose about the system other then the label?????
I'm in total agreeance. I can't say I understand the whole headunit thing. It's almost like they are leaving a door open just to have an out when the system doesn't work properly.
My dad used to have a Cadillac STS with a Bose in it that I wasn't impressed with either. I just have to laugh when I picture a bunch of "acoustic engineers" sitting around claiming that this system sounds good. They're the ones that are supposed to have the "trained ears". Come on guys. You can do better then this.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM

I live in Minnesota and the last week the high for the day has been -5 and at night -15..The cd player does not work PERIOD!! I have to wait until June before I listen to the cd player without it skipping..
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 PM

I know there's a ton of people on the board who posted questions about 'how-to' and problem solving stuff for their Bose setup. I just want to get an idea on how you all are doing with an aftermarket head unit w/ factory Bose.

So how does it sound? Is there a noticable difference even though you are still using the factory Bose amp to power the speakers? Are you pleased with the results? Noticable improvements from the stock Bose HU?

I found an installer who could install a Pioneer 5000ub. Not only can he do it, but he can wire an external speaker (tweeter size) and mount it wherever so I can still hear the navigation voice. I'm very excited!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Bose is ALL marketing for cars. Their speakers and equipment SUCK. Bose means nothing. Might as well be wal-mart speakers.

Your best bet, just add some better speakers, Polk at least....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 AM

cd doesn't play

My CD player will not work at random occassions. Either it plays or...

The disc number blinks for a while, then says "push eject." I push eject and the "flaps" open and close and it says "push eject" again. It's a never ending cycle.

To get it to work, luck is on my side. Just turn off the car, run errands and come back. It'll work... sometimes.

It has done this in all temperatures. 2004 SL - 76K
Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 PM

I have been told by two different places (best buy and circut city) that I can NOT simply replace the BOSE HU w/o replacing ALL the wires and the speakers because BOSE is not compatible with any after market heads. Also they stated there was no harness for adaption purposes from aftermarket to current BOSE speakers. Question: Do these A-holes know what they are talking about or are they trying to screw everyone out of more money?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 AM

Bose sucks!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by HGBallin
Bose sucks!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I know the Bose speakers can be swapped out with the Rockford Fosgate speakers. Other than that if you're looking to shatter your windows Bose may not be for you, however mine works and sounds great. I'm not looking for the attention most people want with super loud music. Nor do I want the extra weight of all that Junk in the trunk. Just some cool jams, news, weather and a great Navi system so my stock Bose Premium setup works great for me, not to mention the sound of a Turbo Max is music to my ears anyway...

Originally Posted by siggy580
I have been told by two different places (best buy and circut city) that I can NOT simply replace the BOSE HU w/o replacing ALL the wires and the speakers because BOSE is not compatible with any after market heads. Also they stated there was no harness for adaption purposes from aftermarket to current BOSE speakers. Question: Do these A-holes know what they are talking about or are they trying to screw everyone out of more money?

Quick Reply: 6th Gen BOSE is ****e...anybody feel me?