6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Metra Kit Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Metra Kit Paint Issues

I just got done painting the inside of the cut out pocket of the Metra Kit in preparation for a D3 install here in a month or so. When I peeled off the painters tape, a few places some of the silver paint came of in specks. At first I thought it might just be a overspray from a bad taping job, then some came off of areas not even near the pocket. After spending an hour cutting and painting it, I'm a little frustrated this happened. At this point I'm out the $40 for the kit. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a Krylon Fusion paint color that I can repaint it with or something similar. Surely I can't be the only one with this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Well, I did something I hope will look good and just sprayed it ALL black. I hope it comes out pretty
Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM

Some pics
Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
I just got done painting the inside of the cut out pocket of the Metra Kit in preparation for a D3 install here in a month or so. When I peeled off the painters tape, a few places some of the silver paint came of in specks. At first I thought it might just be a overspray from a bad taping job, then some came off of areas not even near the pocket. After spending an hour cutting and painting it, I'm a little frustrated this happened. At this point I'm out the $40 for the kit. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a Krylon Fusion paint color that I can repaint it with or something similar. Surely I can't be the only one with this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
So this is the paint that comes already on the face of the kit that Metra applied? Are you using the blue easy lift paint? That stuff doesn't seal masked off areas as well but it comes off easy and doesn't leave behind residue. I mentioned in another thread that some of that blue tape pulled some factory paint off the inside lip of my wheel well after an autox. I blame that on oil or other contaminants on the surface before Nissan painted the vehicle. Its a plastic part like the Metra kit and just doesn't adhere as well as it would to metal.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by QwikKota
So this is the paint that comes already on the face of the kit that Metra applied? Are you using the blue easy lift paint? That stuff doesn't seal masked off areas as well but it comes off easy and doesn't leave behind residue. I mentioned in another thread that some of that blue tape pulled some factory paint off the inside lip of my wheel well after an autox. I blame that on oil or other contaminants on the surface before Nissan painted the vehicle. Its a plastic part like the Metra kit and just doesn't adhere as well as it would to metal.
Yeah, I used the blue painters tape. Sort of disappointed in the silver paint quality of the Metra kit. Any suggestion of a better tape to use to not allow any bleeding? I'll probably just buy another one...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Yeah, I used the blue painters tape. Sort of disappointed in the silver paint quality of the Metra kit. Any suggestion of a better tape to use to not allow any bleeding? I'll probably just buy another one...
You can't repaint it? I know if you sand it down you'll usually lose that mold texture but it can be made nice and smooth after priming and painting. That krylon fusion is supposed to hold up a lot better than reg spray paint. A good brand masking tape should be fine for keeping the bleeding to a minimum. After that it depends on how wet the paint is whether or not it will bleed thru. Have to press it real good on the edge and use something firm like a round wood dowel or handle of wooden spoon etc to run along it to help seal. If you follow the paint directions of proper temp and humidity when to spray, it helps a lot. And you could put some dry heat to it to help it harden. Most plastics will withstand plenty of heat. An oven on its lowest setting with the door cracked etc.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM

just painted black like i did
Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 PM
*moderator*

Me too!