6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Apollos2: 07 Bumper upgrade - Need lighting help & ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Apollos2: 07 Bumper upgrade - Need lighting help & ideas

After my car got clipped, I will be taking it in to get repaired. The fender, bumper and headlight are the major pieces that will be replaced. I’m trying to turn it into a chance to do something positive since the car will be taken apart anyway. This all may provide some opportunities for me to upgrade lighting while we are in there. I am a totally newbie when it comes to lighting though.

I want to switch over to the 07 bumper cover. I’ve checked out a couple of the threads where this has been done and forwarded the information to the bodyshop. 1st estimate for 07 bumper cover mod is $650 but that includes painting, shaping, shaving, wiring in the fogs everything that needs to be done.

The insurance company will pay for a headlight $870, if I can save the headlight, that will more than pay for the 07 bumper mod. The question here is, can it be saved. The crack here is not in the lens, it is inside.

Another question is regarding my stock fogs. I don’t really like the yellow maybe it’s a good time to try and switch them out and how will they work if I get some fogs to put in the 07 bumper?

Which fogs work in the 07 bumper? I have no clue and need some ideas.

I will also need to provide the wiring scheme to the bodyshop.

What exactly does a switchback do and are they any other mods I should try to tackle while I’m in there.

Oh yeah, I will probably have to come up with an 07 grill to fit in the 07 bumper.

Most of the 07 grills look like bolt overs and not a true replacements like my Street Scenes grill. So if you know of a true replacement grill please post a link. If you are selling a stock 07 grill that you don’t need anymore please pm me, maybe we can work something out.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Head-light=most likely no, unless you want to ghetto it and put some clear choking(spelling?) in there

As for the switch-backs...if you just don't like the orange lights, then take out the bulb, and put a piece of electrical tape over one the little solenoids. This will stop it from working as a normal light, but it will still enable it to work as a turn-signal/flasher. I plan on trying this out once it gets warm, but max05 is the one that I got the idea from.

g/l with everything
dan
Old 01-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Switchbacks are used for turning signals, and you should defintly get them done. Although you will need to buy a load resistor, so they don't blink rapidly..Switchbacks stay white, but then when you signal they turn yellow. You need a load resistor, because LEDS require less power, so you need that resistor to keep them from flashing super fast..All in all it should cost you around 70 to get the whole switchback thing done..hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 AM
name came from hairdryer

Headlight repair-
You could open up both headlights and paint them to hide the crack.
A little bondo putty or epoxy putty and sandpaper could help hide the cracked piece then silver or black paint to cover everything up.
Orange light-
There are some replacement bulbs called steath bulbs which don't show orange til the turn signal comes on. I don't know much about them though.
Stock looks like this.

With stealth bulbs

These are found at http://www.xenonmods.com/
Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Head-light=most likely no, unless you want to ghetto it and put some clear choking(spelling?) in there
You lost me on that one. I thought if there was a way to pull that little cracked part down and seal it with some epoxy it might hold up, kinda like MaXXXpower said

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
As for the switch-backs...if you just don't like the orange lights, then take out the bulb, and put a piece of electrical tape over one the little solenoids. This will stop it from working as a normal light, but it will still enable it to work as a turn-signal/flasher. I plan on trying this out once it gets warm, but max05 is the one that I got the idea from.

g/l with everything
dan
Thanks, I should have been more clear, it's not the orange light I don't like, it's the yellow stock fogs. I have always thought the should have been white like the other fogs.

Last edited by Apollos2; 01-26-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Am I reading this correctly....a headlight for our car costs $870????????
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Send the lights over to x-vert of NYCM and let him fix the crack, paint the insides to match your car, clear the sides and install the angel eyes, all for less then replacing that one housing. Putting it back change the fogs to HIDs and install the switchbacks and it'll still be less than insurance will pay for the housing. You'd get all the possible upgrades one can get in one shot. You can't go wrong!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I had the rear replaced because the housing was cracked and the rear was $259 I believe.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Thanks, I should have been more clear, it's not the orange light I don't like, it's the yellow stock fogs. I have always thought the should have been white like the other fogs.
The stock fogs aren't actual yellow but I know what you mean. You want the true bluish white. I went true yellow with mine and love it..

And PhotoGus, yes the replacement headlights run that much...ouch!

Last edited by jsmithsole; 01-26-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Send the lights over to x-vert of NYCM and let him fix the crack, paint the insides to match your car, clear the sides and install the angel eyes, all for less then replacing that one housing. Putting it back change the fogs to HIDs and install the switchbacks and it'll still be less than insurance will pay for the housing. You'd get all the possible upgrades one can get in one shot. You can't go wrong!!!
Great ideas Xoomer He would do both lights for less than $870?

So can you guys help a brother out and post some pics of
1. Angel eyes
2. "Cleared sides" - - - - Okay found a link http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?postid=4031354
3. Insides of headlights painted to match the car.

Especially on a silver car, because I have seen this on the darker colored cars and it looked good but some times you can't do the same thing on light cars as you do on dark ones.

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
The stock fogs aren't actual yellow but I know what you mean. You want the true bluish white. I went true yellow with mine and love it..
You got it! Looking for the blueish white to match the headlights

SO THIS LOOKS LIKE THE TRUE YELLOW FOGS IN HEADLIGHT AND DOWN BELOW

]
AND THIS IS JUST AN AWESOME PIC!
It seems like Nissan used the RLM bumper is the "Concept bumper" and toned it down for the 07 Maxima. Do you have any recommendations as to which aftermarket fogs would actually work in the 07 bumper? Which would work to replace the stock fogs to give me the blueish white I am looking for?

What's your recommendation as far as wiring them into the rest of the system? Should I just have them wired so they turn on at the sametime the stock fogs do?

Last edited by Apollos2; 01-27-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Here are X-Verts Prices and examples of work. This guy literally lives on the same block as my parents. Never met him in person but he has plenty of request from Maxima/G/Z communities. His name is Igor and tons of people can vouch for his quality at a decent price.

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=20324

Last edited by xoomer.com; 01-27-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks xoomer

How do you plan to get the 07 bumper to fit the 04+ headlights and line up with the rest of the body lines? Or is that part of the $650 job that the bodyshop is doing?

You can send out the headlight to me.

I dont install angel rings at the moment unless you get your hands on them, but I can do everything else for you. I cant really see the crack in the picture, but I'm sure I can fix it, aswell as paint the headlights for you and clear out that orange reflector.

Its $200 to paint the headlights, $50 to clear it out and throw in another $30 to fix the crack. You can ship out the headlights to me and I can probably have them shipped back within 2 days.

Send me an email if you're interested in getting this done.
nycretailers@gmail.com
- Igor
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by X-Vert
Thanks xoomer

How do you plan to get the 07 bumper to fit the 04+ headlights and line up with the rest of the body lines? Or is that part of the $650 job that the bodyshop is doing?

You can send out the headlight to me.

I dont install angel rings at the moment unless you get your hands on them, but I can do everything else for you. I cant really see the crack in the picture, but I'm sure I can fix it, aswell as paint the headlights for you and clear out that orange reflector.

Its $200 to paint the headlights, $50 to clear it out and throw in another $30 to fix the crack. You can ship out the headlights to me and I can probably have them shipped back within 2 days.

Send me an email if you're interested in getting this done.
nycretailers@gmail.com
- Igor

$650 will cover the mods to the hood and the lines.

Are you saying $200 + $50 to paint and clear them both? $30 to fix the broken one. Sounds reasonable.

Here is another pic. It's inside the headlight, the outer lens is fine.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Yea I'm pretty sure I can fix that, as long as nothing is broken off. Yea, $200 to paint, $50 to clear, and $30 to fix the broken light. $280 total, plus you cover shipping (both ways) and if you pay via PayPal, you also gotta cover the 3% fees. Or you can just send cash along w/ the headlights, whichever works best for you... I dont care, I accept any type of payment. Let me know if you want to do this.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:41 PM

thanks! I'm still working out the details with the body shop but I will keep you posted.

I'm also looking for advice on fog lights for the bumper, wiring scheme and perhaps changing the stock fogs to a whiter bulb.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

here is a link for the angel eyes:

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....oducts_id=1168
Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Wow sorry to see that my friend.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM

All right to go with the 07 bumper. I just got my car yesterday with the 07 bumper and OEM grille. IMHO the silver/chrome/black grille looks really smooth, very striking on the silver Max; after MANY takes, I'm keeping it (yes, I haven't stopped looking at my car since I got it).

One thing to keep in mind, is the 07 bumper will not flush underneath the front lights like the 04 does. The 07 lights are different from the ones in our car, the gap is not noticeable to the untrained eye (my wife didn't even notice it when she saw the car), but us the Max freaks will see it, it's about a little over a 1/4 in. from bumper to light and it becomes less as it turns while going towards the hood. I can live with it so I agreed to have the 07 bumper installed anyway.

As for the fog lights, I bought some cheap ones from Pepboys I know everybody here will be on my case...but my wife will kill me if I spend $200 on my favorites, PIAA fogs. I bought a switch from there too and actually it looks pretty neat and it is sitting on my last space available on the switches right next to the steering warmer and mirror adjusters. The shop did the whole installation, no input from me at all.

I'll post some pics on Tuesday, I'm missing the foam that goes over the reinforcement and the black pieces that go over the fog lights which should arrive at the shop tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Hey Super thanks for that insight. Definitely post some pics. I'll forewarn the bodyshop about the potential gap, maybe they can do something about it. Pepboy fogs are cool with, sometimes is tough to come up with the cash to do everything you want at once. I doubt I will be able to cover this all in one shot.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Hey Super thanks for that insight. Definitely post some pics. I'll forewarn the bodyshop about the potential gap, maybe they can do something about it. Pepboy fogs are cool with, sometimes is tough to come up with the cash to do everything you want at once. I doubt I will be able to cover this all in one shot.
No prob Apollos, this is what is all about on the org.

I'll start a thread when it's all done, the final parts should be installed tomorrow night, so I think on Wednesday will be a good day for pics. I'll take close ups of the gap, that way you get an idea. In all honesty, anybody can see it if they decide to take a detailed look. If not, it's all good, I really can live with it.

BTW, I asked the guy to remove the little lip from the undertray, my annoying shimmy is gone!!! I read it a long time ago, but didn't have tools to do it.

A quick question though, is the shimmy only on the 04 and not the 05 and up?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Shimmy? I don't think I've had the problem. If you could take a pic of that undertray too, it would be good to know in case I decide to remove mine.