6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need Help again! White Smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 AM

Need Help again! White Smoke!

Hey Guys. My max (And my idiot dealerships) are getting on my nerves.

I had it at the dealer about 3 months ago for some basic stuff and a recall. While it was there i asked them to look at the tranny as it was shifting oddly between 2-3. They said all is fine. I asked them to look at the motor as its idling funny. They say all is fine.

So the other day i'm merging onto the highway and go wot to get up to speed on the retardedly short runup lane. Anyhow, i look in my rear view and see a decent sized poof of white smoke come out from my exhaust. The car was fully warmed up and it was about 55 degrees outside, so it wasn't just condensation.

Last time i checked white smoke is usually head gasket or cracked block. I do have a problem that i keep getting air into my coolant lines and have to bleed the air out of them (Had to do it last year and just had to do it again this year). So now the mind-motor is spinning. Could i have a blown headgasket thats burning antifreeze and allowing air into my coolant lines causing me to constantly bleed it?

This sucks. At least she's still under powertrain warranty if it is a head gasket.

Thanks guys. I hate it when my baby doesn't work right.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 AM
KC's FINEST

If it's running right and not overheating you're probably fine...

Check the oil. If it's full and clean then chances are it's not the head gasket.

I would check the coolant too.

Just keep an eye on it is all you can really do.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Oil levels are almost always low between changes. Dealer said its normal for Max to burn up to a quart between changes. Coolant level i'll have to check to see where thats at. If i had to guess i'd put money that its low.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i believe if it was a headgasket you'd be putting out white smoke all the time not just at WOT. you could just be burning up some excess carbon on the tops of your pistons.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM

It sounds like you may not go wot all the time. This tells me that it was just some burnt up carbon and deposits. Go out and do some high speed runs on a wide open stretch, and I bet it doesn't do that again for a while.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 AM

SOME Maximas may burn a quart of oil between changes, but after the first oil change, My Maxima has burned almost NO oil between changes.

If after a few very brisk accellerations, the white smoke is gone, you may be fine. But if the white smoke continues, you may not be fine.

When the engine is fully warmed up or hot, the coolant sometimes moves between the radiator and the overflow container, but the level at the radiator cap should always be full. Never remove the pressurized radiator cap when the engine is fully warm or hot.

Use a flashlight at night and look into the coolant overflow container and see if any signs of oil are visible. When the engine is cool, take off the radiator cap and see if you see any signs of oil on top of the coolant there.

It is not a good sign when oil and coolant mix.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 AM

I beleave this is normal i don't drive my max everyday and i don't drive it hard
very often but when i do i will get some white smoke briefly then it's clean and then if i get on it again mins after no white smoke
Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Trannies on these cars are just going...places. I just got mine replaced (60k) and two more maxies at the dealership were getting same treatment. I spoke to a friend who works at tranny parts wholesaler and they are seeing a lot of activity for the 04s. He also pointed that parts are unproportionately expensive for these trannies. If your tranny is slipping, take it to the dealer asap.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

My car has been blowing white smoke since new, never really thought much about it
Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Trannies on these cars are just going...places. I just got mine replaced (60k) and two more maxies at the dealership were getting same treatment. I spoke to a friend who works at tranny parts wholesaler and they are seeing a lot of activity for the 04s. He also pointed that parts are unproportionately expensive for these trannies. If your tranny is slipping, take it to the dealer asap.
Trannies across the board are probably in the same category, car manufactures have increased the power on engines but leave the same weak trans in the car, they wait to see what fails before the replace the problem, most don't realize the companies are using the customers to do R&D.

It's also hard to say why some fail and others don't, Chern has an 04 with a Turbo and his is still rock solid but he has changed the fluid out where most who have similar driving styles have left the original fluid in for 2-3 times as long if not longer.

It would be interesting to know what Nissan has changed from 04-06 on the 5speed autos, have any 4speed autos failed, can't wait to see what happens with the CVT
Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 AM

No tranny issues my fluid was changed at 32K it has 40K now the fluid is still ruby red with a clean smell not burnt but i also baby my max i don't beat on it
Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 AM

i have 106k on my Max and no white smoke. Original trans. and very minor oil burning up in between oil changes. I do change my oil evey 2000 miles. Working at a dealership is a nice perk. I dont work for nissan though. but i do work at a dealership 100 ft. from a nissan dealer thats part of the same company.