6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Utterly Fed Up with this Car. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Utterly Fed Up with this Car. . .

This will be my last time into the dealer before i trade in my Max. I guess this is just to vent, because i am utterly disappointed with this car. Don't be mistaken, i loved nissan, and loved my 5th Gen. But after this 6th Gen Max, i think i am Through.

My invoices of repairs can be stacked inches high, which is way too many times for a 40K mile 2005 SL Max. I change my own oil with Mobil 1, do most of the maintenance myself. I've had a broken Bose CD player, loose driver side rearview mirror . . replaced TWICE, broken AC (which i brought in to get fixed 5 times before their "technician" could find the issue), exhaust issues, bad strut, etc . . . .

Yesterday, i just had the struts replaced, $50 deductible from my extended warranty. And right when i drove it out, the car started shaking like crazy, and the RPM fluctuated consistently between 2-3K, jerking the car back and forth .. . i drive it back to the dealer, and they said that most likely my car was low on gas (which it was) and dirt was caught in the fuel system, causing the cylinders to misfire .. . OK .. . .. so i bring it in again today. . . $130 to flush the fuel system?

Why is it that the dealers (or the one i go to) need the CUSTOMERS to walk them through any issues for them to correctly diagnose any issue? And how come Nissan has degraded this much in build, quality, and service? I am so disappointed in them, and seriously. . if they tell me some BS today or tag me with some crap service charge, thats it . . Im done with Nissan .. .

Hopefully none of this has offended anyone here, but im all out of ideas, and am just way too tired with dealing with this car. .. . Anyone wanna vent or suggest anything?

Nissan Maxima 2005 SL
40K Miles
Dealer: Superior Nissan of Puente Hills.

Last edited by ReficuLiu; 02-15-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM

its not the car its your dealer, u didnt need to flush the fuel system just because of that. and im sure most of those invoices were not needed either. but needless to say sorry about your experiences with the car, hope everything works out for you.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM

I say drive the car through the show-room windows

at dealership quality
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM

same cppl of problems u had but if i were u i would try out another nissan dealership before trading it in or w/e you were thinkin of doing with ur max
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
wants an I35

yea i think we can all agree the 6th gens suck. nissan hit its peak in 02.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM

I used to believe Nissan had a reputation for good car build and quality, but seriously these are not problems that should be seen so often on a $28-32K car. Even if the car is faulty, i can still live with that, but at least Nissan should take responsibility for their lacking quality control. I think i really do have to go to a different dealer, but this one is the closest one to home (and work), and somehow i always manage to have errands to run on the weekends.

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with the assembly of this gen in the United States or something, but for me, newer is Definitely not better. I even contacted headquarters, and complained and they said they couldnt do anything. No reimbursement, no nothing. That is definitely not a way to keep existing customers.

I'm not that familiar with the lemon law, but i have a feeling my car wouldn't apply anyway. I don't hate the car itself, i just hate all this trouble i have to go through. No one else i know, who drives another make of car, ever has to go through this much trouble.

My friend's CLK had spare change stolen from his car on a service trip, and they reimbursed him with a $50 voucher for the gift shop. I bring my car in over 20 times in the past 6 months, they wont even gas up a gallon for all the trips i make. . .
Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ReficuLiu
My friend's CLK had spare change stolen from his car on a service trip, and they reimbursed him with a $50 voucher for the gift shop. I bring my car in over 20 times in the past 6 months, they wont even gas up a gallon for all the trips i make. . .
I think that really depend on the dealership. I get free car wash with oil change
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM

ReficuLiu, you have to get another dealer, bro. I had the same types of issues when I had my Mazda Millenia S. The service manager at the dealership was a complete ***.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM

I think that overall Nissan build has been going down over the years. They seem to be more focused on mass production of numbers instead of the used to be rock solid car building. However, that being said I think you have a crappy dealer. I like the idea of driving it through the dealership.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
SickSE

I really do hate hearing this. I am proud of my car for running 73K with not a single problem, but when stuff like this happens it's just disappointing.

And 6th gens do not .......suck.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Does anyone have a recommended dealer that i should try out?
I live in SoCal, Los Angeles County. .
I know another dealer would probably save some issues, but i dunno if i wanna spend more time, gas, money, research looking around for decent service reps and techs.
If anyone knows of a good location, i'll definitely try them next time.
And at the rate i bring my car in, im sure it wont be too long.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Try posting this question in here:
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM

ok thanks.

On another note, do you know what could have been the problem with my car?
The shaking, the erratic RPM? Is this really crap stuck in the fuel system? Also, the service engine light did flash a few times, but didn't stay on. I was thinking maybe just drive it around for a few days. . .and maybe that problem would just go away. The car still shakes on stops and acceleration, maybe 10% of the time . .. i doubt id be able to replicate the problem on a test drive. . .
Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ROCKART
yea i think we can all agree the 6th gens suck. nissan hit its peak in 02.
BC someone owned a lemon? It can be argued all cars suck following that logic...perhaps with the exception of Toyota, they are gods.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about West Covina but never tried it personally. Maybe you should give them a try. I've only gone to El Monte for oil change because they were cheap + free car wash. But they up the price after every visit, so I dont bother with them anymore.
BTW, which dealership do you go to?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Flashing SES = multiple cylinder misfire, usually. Get the code read.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM

I go to Puente Hills Superior Nissan, in City of Industry.

They said there was multiple cylinder misfire, but the thing i worry about is, despite my gas being refilled, the car just feels weird. . shakes from time to time.
Im guessing there wont be a code read unless the SES flashes again . . .. ?
Meaning, the dealers will half-@ss their inspection again, and say i messed it up by driving on low fuel .. . .. .
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
wants an I35

yea and at 40k miles, unless youve put coffee in your gas tank, there shouldnt be even close to enough sediment/deposits for it to clog anything.

saying the car was shaking due to dirty fuel is a lie. if you are running on a dirty line or with a bad filter, the car would bog not shake.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
aka The Doom Ship

At 70k miles the problems I've had with my car have mostly been mod related when I think about it.

The car itself runs nice and strong; AC works great, transmission still shifts well, no electrical problems despite my aftermarket stereo system.

The only problem I ever had was a bad strut and that was replaced for free.

The only problems I really have are related to my headers and SAFC.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

Anyone read my post yet?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 PM

reficuliu, i go to empire nissan here in ontario. pretty good parts service and wifes altima gets good service. fast and polite
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM

54k on mine, has never been to the dealer. has to be a dealer/tech issue. some techs simply dont know what they are doing. work on one thing and end up messing up something else. and the 6th generation doesnt suck!!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
wants an I35

Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 PM

same here! I have 60,000 on my 05 which has a build day of 09/04 and so far the only thing i have replaced is the battery! So for a car thats 4 years old i cant complain! I just hope it stays that way!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Rockart, come find me at the meet. We're gonna have us a lil fist fight. lol.

Last edited by MissMiami; 02-15-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
wants an I35

lol
Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I go to Puente Hills Superior Nissan, in City of Industry.

They said there was multiple cylinder misfire, but the thing i worry about is, despite my gas being refilled, the car just feels weird. . shakes from time to time.
Im guessing there wont be a code read unless the SES flashes again . . .. ?
Meaning, the dealers will half-@ss their inspection again, and say i messed it up by driving on low fuel .. . .. .
I bought my car from those ******* and they suck. We almost sued each other Try Performance Nissan in Duarte, up the 605 and west on the 210. I have dealt with them for aftermarket items and I like them
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Newbie just Registered

I know another dealer would probably save some issues, but i dunno if i wanna spend more time, gas, money, research looking around for decent service reps and techs.
If anyone knows of a good location, i'll definitely try them next time.
And at the rate i bring my car in, im sure it wont be too long.
West Covina Nissan
Performance Nissan in Duarte
Buena Park Nissan
Metro in Montclair

I don't go to dealers other than warranty works, but I never had any issues w/ Superior. Then again, I only went there twice for minor stuff.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Anyone read my post yet?

Umm... We 6th genners don't venture out into the outside world...
Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Just called the dealer, and low and behold . .. they cannot detect anything.
They'll take it out once more to see if they can find any issues, but i really doubt it. . ..
If my Max starts acting up again, i will definitely take it into another dealer .. .

Duarte seems like a decent one, i do recall going there before.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

This will be my last time into the dealer before i trade in my Max...

Yesterday, i just had the struts replaced, $50 deductible from my extended warranty. And right when i drove it out, the car started shaking like crazy, and the RPM fluctuated consistently between 2-3K, jerking the car back and forth .. . i drive it back to the dealer, and they said that most likely my car was low on gas (which it was) and dirt was caught in the fuel system, causing the cylinders to misfire .. . OK .. . .. so i bring it in again today. . . $130 to flush the fuel system?

Why was your car low on gas? Did the dealer use it up while your car was with them? Or, was your car's fuel tank leaking?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
I think that really depend on the dealership. I get free car wash with oil change
Me too... also a free vacuum of the interior. But I also know many dealerships that don't even top of all fluids.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM

ROCKART, Nice graph... says a lot more about you than any max

Last edited by bb700092; 02-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
SickSE

Getting sick of that f-ing graph.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
Why was your car low on gas? Did the dealer use it up while your car was with them? Or, was your car's fuel tank leaking?
I didnt really have time to gas it up the night before, and it was below the quarter tank line. However, the light wasn't even on yet. But i could tell, it was getting real close to lighting up. I have a strong feeling the dealer or mechanic probably used it up testing it or something .. . . but even when i went to pick up my car, the light was off again . .. and didnt turn back on until maybe 1 mile.

There isnt anything wrong with my tank, just low on gas.

Oh yah, i also purchased the Automate paint protection, and i had it brought in the same time i replaced the struts. According to them, they're supposed to clean the interior carpets, and if they cant clean it, they are supposed to replace them with brand new ones. My spaghetti sauce spill is STILL THERE. . . .looks like they just vacuumed the interior or something, without cleaning. . . i just noticed it this morning. . . and forgot to mention that to them as well. . . .
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM

I didnt really have time to gas it up the night before, and it was below the quarter tank line. However, the light wasn't even on yet. But i could tell, it was getting real close to lighting up. I have a strong feeling the dealer or mechanic probably used it up testing it or something .. . . but even when i went to pick up my car, the light was off again . .. and didnt turn back on until maybe 1 mile.

There isnt anything wrong with my tank, just low on gas.

Oh yah, i also purchased the Automate paint protection, and i had it brought in the same time i replaced the struts. According to them, they're supposed to clean the interior carpets, and if they cant clean it, they are supposed to replace them with brand new ones. My spaghetti sauce spill is STILL THERE. . . .looks like they just vacuumed the interior or something, without cleaning. . . i just noticed it this morning. . . and forgot to mention that to them as well. . . .
If your low fuel light was not on when you got the car back from the dealership, then how can your car all of a sudden be damaged due to low fuel? As far as I know, the 6th gen max has a big reserve (almost 4 gals). The dealership is messing up something. Try talking to the mechanic who worked on your car as a friend and figure out all that he did. Then try a different dealership -- that is what I would do.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
If your low fuel light was not on when you got the car back from the dealership, then how can your car all of a sudden be damaged due to low fuel? As far as I know, the 6th gen max has a big reserve (almost 4 gals). The dealership is messing up something. Try talking to the mechanic who worked on your car as a friend and figure out all that he did. Then try a different dealership -- that is what I would do.
Thanks.

I was gonna talk to the mechanic, and he was already gone for the day, as was my sales rep.

I completely agree, and it sounds absurd for that to be the reason, but the ppl at the dealer insisted that that was the case. He said how no one drives with the light on, b/c that isn't safe and no one should do it. He also mentioned that i didnt do the 15K mile throttle body and injector cleaning, saying that would also be the cause. Ultimately, he just tried to pin me for the defect.

Funny though, if according to him low gas shouldnt be driven on, then why would his tech guy STILL continue to test drive even after noticing that? The feeling im getting is these guys don't know their stuff, and just try to leech money from the customers.

Last edited by ReficuLiu; 02-15-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your 6thgen man, that really sucks. I Love my 6th gen and personally never had any technical problems. But sometimes people have bad experiences with certain cars but what can ya do. I would also be weary of that dealer man. I dont know how many dealers i went to when i owned my Lincoln LS that broke **** while in the process of fixing something, or trying to sell me **** that i absolutely know i didnt need and when i call their bull**** they try to dance around it and make up some crap reason. Anyways, I Hope your Luck changes man and you dont encounter anymore problems.

Also would like to say Hey to the 6th Gen Community, im new here, have had my 2006 for 2 years now and lately...dont know why...but i got the mod bug and now im spending money on **** i probably dont need but whatever i love cars that go fast and working on them is fun...lol

check out my ride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3006571
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM

if they can't get the code for the sel try autozone they do it for free.06 max with 55k only problem bad cats changed under warranty
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Where is my shirt?

Man....

If its that serious... I would contact Nissan HQ and file a complaint. They normally settle and might work something out for you. It seems that every time you bring the Max in for a fix, you leave with another problem. Or if you have enough proof that the dealership sucks... what about the BBB?

Quick Reply: Utterly Fed Up with this Car. . .