6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Utterly Fed Up with this Car. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:23 PM

The BBB is shat. In fact, if businesses sign up and pay a fee to the BBB, they become a member. You file a complaint, sure, but nothing really comes of it. I would just raise hell with Nissan.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax
Man....

If its that serious... I would contact Nissan HQ and file a complaint. They normally settle and might work something out for you. It seems that every time you bring the Max in for a fix, you leave with another problem. Or if you have enough proof that the dealership sucks... what about the BBB?
I have.
I called them, left a complaint, asked them for any form of reimbursement at all, anything. The rep took the issue to her supervisor, called me back a few days later, just to tell me that there is nothing she can do, and they do not offer any type of reimbursement. I then b!tched her out (nicely of course) and told her she lost a customer.

And yes i do agree, it feels like every time i bring it in, i leave with a new problem. When my Bose CD player broke down, they replaced it. . and broke the plastic piece under my shift **** .. . . .which i then had to get the part ordered and replaced again . . .. . even small stuff like that. . . .its ridiculous
Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by ReficuLiu
I have.
I called them, left a complaint, asked them for any form of reimbursement at all, anything. The rep took the issue to her supervisor, called me back a few days later, just to tell me that there is nothing she can do, and they do not offer any type of reimbursement. I then b!tched her out (nicely of course) and told her she lost a customer.

And yes i do agree, it feels like every time i bring it in, i leave with a new problem. When my Bose CD player broke down, they replaced it. . and broke the plastic piece under my shift **** .. . . .which i then had to get the part ordered and replaced again . . .. . even small stuff like that. . . .its ridiculous

Just work it up the chain of command. First Rep, then manager, etc.
I had an issue late last year with a bad O2 sensor. I got the same crap as you did... by the end of the day.... I had the dealership ready to give me a free O2 sensor.

Trust me bro... they will bend to your needs. I always say... contact the news about the dealership too!! News loves drama!! lol
Old 02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by MissMiami
The BBB is shat. In fact, if businesses sign up and pay a fee to the BBB, they become a member. You file a complaint, sure, but nothing really comes of it. I would just raise hell with Nissan.
Complaints are only as good as the party who reports it.

Keep a good follow through and keep requesting the person above that person.

Or else they will see the evil 6th gen owner in us....

lol
Old 02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by bb700092
ROCKART, Nice graph... says a lot more about you than any max
why? im a 4th gen owner and i recognize that the 5th gen is the superior vehicle. if anything that makes the graph impartial and objective

Originally Posted by MissMiami

+1 to this. BBB dont do ****, unless you were outright scammed, and even then its a huge bureaucratic process.

i know nissans customer service sucks, but keep bothering them and something will come of it.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM

I honestly think Nissan had some serious supplier quality control issues on different components. I don't think it is a build quality issue at least with my car. My '04 has had a number of problems with a/c hoses, a/c o-rings, rotor/brakes and cv boots that a 3-4 year old car should never have. Having said that, I hope and think that by late 05 models seemed to be better off because my wife's Pathfinder has been solid. It might just be bad luck for a few of us.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Caravan to the Nissan HQ~! lol
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
why? im a 4th gen owner and i recognize that the 5th gen is the superior vehicle. if anything that makes the graph impartial and objective
Made a lil change here and there...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Sorry you have to go through this BS with Nissan.i have 40K no issues yet
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 AM

This will be my last time into the dealer before i trade in my Max. I guess this is just to vent, because i am utterly disappointed with this car. Don't be mistaken, i loved nissan, and loved my 5th Gen. But after this 6th Gen Max, i think i am Through.

My invoices of repairs can be stacked inches high, which is way too many times for a 40K mile 2005 SL Max. I change my own oil with Mobil 1, do most of the maintenance myself. I've had a broken Bose CD player, loose driver side rearview mirror . . replaced TWICE, broken AC (which i brought in to get fixed 5 times before their "technician" could find the issue), exhaust issues, bad strut, etc . . . .

Yesterday, i just had the struts replaced, $50 deductible from my extended warranty. And right when i drove it out, the car started shaking like crazy, and the RPM fluctuated consistently between 2-3K, jerking the car back and forth .. . i drive it back to the dealer, and they said that most likely my car was low on gas (which it was) and dirt was caught in the fuel system, causing the cylinders to misfire .. . OK .. . .. so i bring it in again today. . . $130 to flush the fuel system?

Why is it that the dealers (or the one i go to) need the CUSTOMERS to walk them through any issues for them to correctly diagnose any issue? And how come Nissan has degraded this much in build, quality, and service? I am so disappointed in them, and seriously. . if they tell me some BS today or tag me with some crap service charge, thats it . . Im done with Nissan .. .

Hopefully none of this has offended anyone here, but im all out of ideas, and am just way too tired with dealing with this car. .. . Anyone wanna vent or suggest anything?

Nissan Maxima 2005 SL
40K Miles
Dealer: Superior Nissan of Puente Hills.

Sorry to hear about your experience with your Max. I had some of the same issues you have, bad struts, CD changer replaced, chrome roof strips replaced but I still like my Max. I have since changed out my suspension and at 80K miles she stills rides smooth and I bought her in March 2004 brand new!! I would agree the build quality at Nissan has degraded and its hit or miss as to what you will get at the dealership. I agree with most that you should find another dealership, the dealers here in VA will work with you to solve your problems. Good luck.

Mike
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 AM

find a new dealer, the dealer I bought my car from I don't even go to and they are 5 minutes from my house, I drive 30 minutes to the next dealer, the dealership can make a great car a horrible ownership experience and on top of that the dealer will suck you dry.

my 06 has 45k and no issues except the drivers side chrome strip which was more the dealer trying to re seat it on broken clips, but once they realized that was not working all new parts where ordered
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea i think we can all agree the 6th gens suck. nissan hit its peak in 02.
I disagree! Even though I could...I had a 6th Gen 04 SL which my dealer bought back and placed me in a 2nd production run 05 SE. Yes, I have had problems with my suspenion and even in winter...shrinking interior plastic mouldings...resulting in the mouldings coming loose....fog light burnouts on a regular basis...Yet it rides like stink (Enlish expression meaning it goes like a bat out of hell) on the highway....I love 3rd and 4th on the highway! and with my customized grill and slammed (lowered) look, I get a lot of stares and compliments in the summer....and questions when I floor her when next to an ummodded G35(coupe) ....yes I do love my CAI ....and my UDP, Springs, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Brakes, FSB....etc.

Just ask some of the others here like Chern, Ramberg, Lightonthehill, JMSmith, etc... and see what they have to say about that too!
A wise man once said, "If you don't have something positive to say, then don't!"

Last edited by xorbitman; 02-17-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didnt really have time to gas it up the night before, and it was below the quarter tank line. However, the light wasn't even on yet. But i could tell, it was getting real close to lighting up. I have a strong feeling the dealer or mechanic probably used it up testing it or something .. . . but even when i went to pick up my car, the light was off again . .. and didnt turn back on until maybe 1 mile.
If it still shakes on low RPM after the fuel system flush then there is a vacuum leak somewhere after the mass airflow sensor and the intake (disconnected/cracked hose, loosened bolt on the intake, etc).
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 AM

So they called me back on Friday .. .told me they test drove my car, and finally on the 3rd time they finally felt the shake .. .however it only happened once. . . i guess they have to wait until today to call Nissan's Tech line for answers, as the engine light didnt come on .. . so they have no codes to read. . . my fingers are crossed. . .hopefully i'll have something in by today .. . i've been already car-less this weekend, so they better fix it fast!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM

Damn man sorry to hear all the issues. My car is presently at the dealer for the all famous tranny problem. They called once and said it was acting normal, IE here we go Also my car need all four struts over bumps there are some terriable noises. I only have 42k on her.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

This will be my last time into the dealer before i trade in my Max. I guess this is just to vent, because i am utterly disappointed with this car. Don't be mistaken, i loved nissan, and loved my 5th Gen. But after this 6th Gen Max, i think i am Through.

My invoices of repairs can be stacked inches high, which is way too many times for a 40K mile 2005 SL Max. I change my own oil with Mobil 1, do most of the maintenance myself. I've had a broken Bose CD player, loose driver side rearview mirror . . replaced TWICE, broken AC (which i brought in to get fixed 5 times before their "technician" could find the issue), exhaust issues, bad strut, etc . . . .

Yesterday, i just had the struts replaced, $50 deductible from my extended warranty. And right when i drove it out, the car started shaking like crazy, and the RPM fluctuated consistently between 2-3K, jerking the car back and forth .. . i drive it back to the dealer, and they said that most likely my car was low on gas (which it was) and dirt was caught in the fuel system, causing the cylinders to misfire .. . OK .. . .. so i bring it in again today. . . $130 to flush the fuel system?

Why is it that the dealers (or the one i go to) need the CUSTOMERS to walk them through any issues for them to correctly diagnose any issue? And how come Nissan has degraded this much in build, quality, and service? I am so disappointed in them, and seriously. . if they tell me some BS today or tag me with some crap service charge, thats it . . Im done with Nissan .. .

Hopefully none of this has offended anyone here, but im all out of ideas, and am just way too tired with dealing with this car. .. . Anyone wanna vent or suggest anything?

Nissan Maxima 2005 SL
40K Miles
My friend - sorry to say but it looks like you may have a:

Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Made a lil change here and there...

Let me guess Rockart - you own either a 4th or 5th gen right?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
You have a gorgeous max
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM

Ok, here's a follow up to what has happened to my car.

Been in the dealer's since Friday, as they finally got it to shake. . but no SES light. .. so no code. They tell me that they have to call Nissan's Tech-Line to get advise as to what to do with this situation. I leave it over the weekend, and Monday i call again. The Tech-line is down due to President's day. . ..OK. . .. . i call again Tuesday, they already called Tech-Line and have not received any response, saying the response could take up to 48hrs before anything. I call again today, Wednesday, my sales rep is out AGAIN, and still Tech-line has not responded. . . .my car has been in the dealer for 6 days. . . .what the H@LL are these ppl doing?!

Honestly, i really question how these technicians and mechanics are trained. I would assume they would have a general of how things work in each of these cars. They already read the code before, stating that its a misfire .. . so why don't they freaking do all they can to find the solutions for all possible causes of misfires?!! Instead they just sit there and say, "The car is acting normal, you can just bring it back, we cant find anything. . . . "

I really find that there are competency issues with the staff, and i think this is pretty much the last straw. I am gonna leave negative feedback in their surveys (dont even know if they care about that) even though the sales person is nice. . .but seriously, nice just isn't cutting it. I'm not gonna risk driving it out, and having the issue again, just for them to be able to blame me again for any screw ups. . .. . I think its trade in time. .. .
Old 02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Newbie just Registered

Which dealer is this?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The 5th Gen & 6th Gen are such different cars, they really cannot be compared. The 5th Gen was designed under the "old" Nissan and built in Japan, The 6th Gen designed by the Renault/Nissan team and built in the US. Like any other new car, the components were put out for bid (they made some poor choices), in most cases you get what you pay for. When I first looked at the 6th Gen at the auto show in '03 I was completly disappointed. The only part of the interior that felt good were the seats. The switches and plastic felt & looked cheap. I them went to work at a dealer (parts), and could not get over the recalls and TSB's. Nissan did not take the time to get the bugs worked out of the car, feeling it is easier to fix them under warrenty. The Quest & Altimas if the time were no different. Nissan is starting to address the quility issues, as seen in last Max & Altima. Hopefully they can get back to where they used to be.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
I Rev to 9k

I have a 6th Gen and have no serious problems after 36k. It gets daily driven 75 miles. The only problem i've had was battery that just died one day.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 PM

sell the car to carmax and get your self a WRX.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Don't blame Nissan

I used to believe Nissan had a reputation for good car build and quality, but seriously these are not problems that should be seen so often on a $28-32K car. Even if the car is faulty, i can still live with that, but at least Nissan should take responsibility for their lacking quality control. I think i really do have to go to a different dealer, but this one is the closest one to home (and work), and somehow i always manage to have errands to run on the weekends.

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with the assembly of this gen in the United States or something, but for me, newer is Definitely not better. I even contacted headquarters, and complained and they said they couldnt do anything. No reimbursement, no nothing. That is definitely not a way to keep existing customers.

I'm not that familiar with the lemon law, but i have a feeling my car wouldn't apply anyway. I don't hate the car itself, i just hate all this trouble i have to go through. No one else i know, who drives another make of car, ever has to go through this much trouble.

My friend's CLK had spare change stolen from his car on a service trip, and they reimbursed him with a $50 voucher for the gift shop. I bring my car in over 20 times in the past 6 months, they wont even gas up a gallon for all the trips i make. . .
Nissan has published info on it's own dissapointment in the 6th gen Maxima. Most people who were driving Maximas during the privious model styles don't like the 04 to 08 Maxima. Shotty workmanship and the fact that the Maxima during the afore mentioned model yrs. are more touring sedans than sports anything. I hear the 7th is alot better cosmedics and handling anyways.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM

There's a maxima for you, you, and even you in the back! Just find the one for you

Can I just say that when I wanted to buy my first car, and slept on it for days, I woke up and wanted nothing less than a Nissan! My 6gen is by far one of the most reliable cars I have ever come across to. Not only do I get compliments every from other drivers, I like to find other maximas on the road instead of the punch buggie thing, i say "uh, there's goes another maxima! The only, only, only issue I ever had to deal with was my cd changer. Booo to that?? Well, my dealership replaced it for free, and got me a rental car while they worked on my car. Now that I think about it, I always get a free rental from them, discounts on parts, and free car-washes. My dealer has its own bodyshop and they help me so much as to fix any small scratches that they find for free and tons of other things more. BTW. I was just 18 years old when I bought the car, and they did all that for me. I'll tell you one another thing, when my max decides to never run again, which I think will never happened, unless i get t-boned or something? I'll get another nissan vehicle. Probably a MAXIMA, 370Z or If I win the lotto, the GTR! Hell, I'll get all 3 of them!
I have put over 78,000 miles on it and not a single issue. (other than my cd changer)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM

yay, 8 month old thread
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by kenjio6
if they can't get the code for the sel try autozone they do it for free.06 max with 55k only problem bad cats changed under warranty
how did you know when the cats failed?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
ReficuLiu, you have to get another dealer, bro. I had the same types of issues when I had my Mazda Millenia S. The service manager at the dealership was a complete ***.
I loved my 95 Mellenia S. Too bad Mazda stop making them!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Nissan Maxima 2005 SL
40K Miles

your warranty covered suspension? interesting...
so far I've had no big problems with my max. All car have problems. they will not work forever you know. The only problem I have was bad struts at 20k.
I'd say take it easy man. calm down, take a step back and relax. Its a car,things break, things go wrong. I would avoid the dealership at all cost. I do prefer nissan parts so I do get nissan parts from courtesyparts.com and either do it myself or take it to my local mechanic which is always way cheaper than the deal. good luck to you man.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM

This will be my last time into the dealer...
I should have stopped reading after that. Never..Never Never Never ever take your car to the dealer unless you absolutely have to or you have warranty work. They will diagnose things that don't exist and make you think you need to be there every other week for something.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Hey BB-I like that grill!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM

I guess I'm just lucky. Nothing but routine scheduled service and maintenance the last four years on my '04. Drives like a dream, and still gets admiring looks (I keep it spiffy). Had my tires rotated and balanced today (done free by the store I bought the tires from), then took my baby out to a lightly traveled freeway and eased it up to 100 MPH for just five seconds; smooth as glass. Eased my hands off the steering wheel; no shimmy or vibration. Touched my brakes; no pulling to either side.

I could not be happier than I have been with my '04 SL. And I hear the '09 is a step up from the 6th gen in every way. Viva la Nissan!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

The longer you stay out of dealership, the longer your car will run.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

All Nissan dealers (well, all dealers) are a rip off. Nissan dealers seem to be the worst. I manage a shop and recently had a customer, whose transmission we serviced, demand his money back. Apperantly the dealer told him that we weren't "certified" to work on his car and that his trans doesn't ever need to be serviced.Next they informed him that if he didn't bring it in to let them re-service the trans (and pay full price of course) it would breakdown. What a joke.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM

nah it's not the car.. bro but yes 6th gen has some problems.... a lot of ppl are havin strut mount problems including myself... i'm going to try and get mine taken care of very soon
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM

though i think 4th n 5th are on the same level